• Published 5th Mar 2018
  • 2,636 Views, 417 Comments

Midnight's Shadow: Tainted Legacies - Ponibius



Midnight is a rising star among the magi, and an opportunity to follow her ambitions opens up when an archmagus retires. But the conclave to pick the next archmagus reveals a tainted legacy as long-forgotten foes push Midnight to her very limits.

  • ...
6
 417
 2,636

Chapter 2

“Another late night, child?” Mother asked in lieu of greeting as I entered the dining room for breakfast. She frowned at me as she picked at her eggs next to a small bowl of fruit.

I yawned and nodded. “I was up studying.” One of the problems with going out on an assignment was that I lost access to all the reading materials available in Canterlot. That could be greatly irritating as I furthered mine advancement in the magical arts. There were practical exercises I could do while away from the capital, but sooner or later I wished to study new spells and theory.

Mother tsked and shook her head, and I frowned at this odd disapproval. “What? Studying is important.”

Mother jabbed a fork into her eggs. “So are your other responsibilities.”

I sighed. “I am aware, Mother.” It seemed she was in one of her moods. Mayhaps ‘twas because of the news I brought back about the reivers. Even simple talk of war was enough to sour the mood of many ponies. Those who were not eager to engage in bloodshed and destruction so that they could gain glory and loot for themselves, in any event.

“I see.” Mother took a bite of eggs and regarded me with a disinterested air. “Then you will not be late for our expedition to gather ingredients this morning?”

“I will be ready.” I began to sit, but stopped as I fully registered what Mother had actually said. “What ingredients did you need to gather?”

Mother’s frown deepened. “We'll be gathering several mushrooms, lichens, and mosses. Mossy Banks sent me a few new potion recipes I would love to test.” She paused before adding, “You will be late for our appointment in ... two minutes.”

I blinked and scurried to down my breakfast. Mother’s warning was not an idle one. “You could have told me ahead of time.”

“I did.” Her eyes narrowed. “Yesterday.”

“When?” I asked with a mouth half full of eggs. I did not remember broaching such a topic. I saw Mother but once or twice yesterday, apart from the meeting with Princess Celestia.

“Evidently whilst thou wert paying more attention to thy books than thine own beloved mother,” Mother groused.

My ears wilted. I had been quite absorbed in my studies, so ‘twas possible I had missed her instructions. Though ‘twas unlike me to forget something such as that. “'Twas not mine intention to offend.”

Mother tossed her napkin dismissively onto the table. “'Tis past now. Make ready, child.”

I grabbed some food from the table to take with me. I was still hungry, but I knew that there was little point in arguing. ‘Twould only make things worse for me. “So we are to head to the market, then?”

Mother headed to the door, summoning her cloak as she did so. “No, we will need to gather these directly.”

I tilted my head as I gathered mine own cloak. She did not intend on buying her components at the market? That meant she intended on getting them from another source. If Archmagus Mossy Banks had given her an unusual potion recipe, then likely the components came from a unique source not readily found via conventional means. Her plan revealed itself when she picked up her material collecting tools. “You do not intend for us to go into the caves, do you?”

“That is where what we seek lies,” Mother confirmed without looking at me.

I frowned as I considered the issue before us. In truth, I was not eager to go into the caves ‘neath Mount Avalon. There were a score of other things I would prefer to do with my time than collect materials within the vast cave network that honeycombed the mountain upon which our home was perched. “Why not hire somepony else to gather what you require?”

“Is there a reason I should waste bits on that?” I opened my mouth to reply, but Mother cut me off with a dismissive wave. “We will need quite specific ingredients, and as I have not made this particular potion before I want to be careful. Somepony else might waste my time harvesting the wrong materials—time which I cannot spare with the upcoming conclave.”

“I see.” My brow furrowed as my options for getting out of going to the dirty caves dwindled. “And you require mine assistance?”

“Aye, thy help will speed things along, and I need thee to help me carry everything.” Mother finished checking all her equipment before splitting it between us to carry. “And thou shouldst learn such things as well. Potion-making is a useful skill, my child—thou canst hardly make a potion without knowing what goes in it.”

I sighed, not enjoying being lectured to once again. “I know that. I have made potions before.”

“Then thou knowest the importance of identifying thine ingredients.” Mother frowned as she looked me over. “Which makes me wonder why we are still discussing this.”

Knowing there was little point in lying to her, I answered. “It can be dirty in the caves. Especially in the areas where flora grows.”

Mother raised her eyebrow primly. “And?”

My shoulders sagged as I realized that there was no way to get out of this loathsome task. “Nevermind.”

Mother gave me one last concerned look before turning away. “Then let us waste no more time.” She departed her tower with me in tow.


The two of us headed into the caverns beneath Mount Avalon. Thanks to generations of mining, the caves were a labyrinth that more than one pony had gotten lost in, either succumbing to hunger, some accident, or running afoul of some hidden predator which lurked in the dark. We were fortunate in that the portion of the cavern we were going into was well-mapped, and there were even several signs along the way to aid travelers to their destination. We were far from the only magi or Canterlot resident who liked to harvest the underground fungi or other flora that grew down here. We even passed by a few ponies on our way to our goal with edible mushrooms in baskets. Though for the most part the only sounds we heard were the echoes of our hoofsteps on the stone, the only light the blue and green of our magic.

In the end I decided to risk my mother’s wrath and break the silence. It was better than dreading how dirty our destination would be. “Did you decide on what should be done with the reivers?”

I still heard a hint of irritation in Mother’s voice, but ‘twas calmer than it had been back in her tower. “I am considering several options, but for now I think we should step carefully.”

“Something along the lines I suggested, then?” I asked out of curiosity.

Mother nodded. “I have given your proposal the consideration it was due, child.” A slight grin worked its way onto her lips. “It happens to align with mine own thoughts on the matter.”

“Then I hope it works out.” Encouraged by the fact that she agreed with my proposal, I hurried my steps so that I walked by her side, instead of following. “Though I am afraid much depends on what the gryphons do.”

“That is the problem with most political plans.” Mother let out a frustrated huff. “Still, it accounts for our own actions well enough. Planning for much beyond that carries the risk of being undermined by the unexpected actions of our opponents.”

“That is true enough.” I frowned as I thought about High King Severus and the reivers. “I am not o’erjoyed by the idea of another war.”

“None of us are.” She shrugged. “But the reivers might not give us a choice.”

“So I am aware.” My frown deepened as I considered some conversations I had overheard. “Though I worry we might be in the minority about not wanting another war. I have heard some of the soldiers speak eagerly of the chance to test their martial prowess. Not to mention many ponies wish to punish Gryphonia in some way for the reiver raids. Then there are the gryphons themselves. Certainly many of them seem to want yet another war with us just so that they might have the opportunity for further glory and spoils.”

“Aye, the chance to strike back at the gryphons for their raids is a tempting offer for many. ‘Tis only nature to want to fight those who injure you.” Mother stopped to check a sign before continuing deeper into the cavern. “Some of whom have considerable influence.”

“Such as Shadow?” I hazarded. “'Tis why I fear it is inevitable. Many will listen to her if she calls for a war, Her Highness included.”

“It might well be, but let us be sure of that ere we decide it is.” Mother shook her head. “We are not yet strong enough to seek war, if it can be easier avoided at reasonable cost.”

“‘Tis possible that Gryphonia is all the weaker for their civil war.” I shrugged. “I suppose we will just have to wait and see how things proceed for now. Hopefully the conclave will not have too dour of a mood cast over it because of the reiver attacks.”

“At least we can count on the magi to follow my lead on the matter. Granted, I did appoint all the current archmagi to their positions to begin with.”

We arrived at the specific cavern we desired. Fluorescent mushrooms clinging to crystals and rocks lighted the chamber in a rainbow of colors, and a sweet smell emanated from the room from fungal decay and floating spores. The cavern had an undercurrent of magic to it, which partially fed the fungus that covered nearly every surface. It was also all but impossible to walk anywhere without getting all manner of matter on one’s self and end up befouled.

I sighed and went about putting away my cloak. “So, what are these potions Archmagus Mossy Banks gave you the formule for?”

“Remedies for swamp fever,” Mother said as she started to slip on her rubber gloves. “It seems sound in theory, but I wish to try making a few vials for myself to see if there are any improvements to be made.”

I nodded. A tree that could turn ponies into more such evil trees through the use of foul transmutation magics was but yet another reason for ponies not to traverse places such as Froggy Bottom Bog. Little surprise Mossy Banks sought a cure for such a terrible affliction that infected his home. “The bog is a terrifying place because of such things.”

“A cure for swamp fever will make it much less so.” Mother finished putting on her gloves and looked herself over. “Thus why I wish to verify his findings.” (1)

1. Mossy Bank’s cure worked quite effectively for five centuries before the bog fever trees evolved adaptations which rendered the treatment obsolete.

“Understandable.” I grimaced as I watched Mother slog her way through the ankle-deep mushrooms, her hooves squishing as she walked. “It would ... be a... credit to his... name.”

Mother looked back and frowned when she saw my reluctance to follow her. “Is there a problem?”

I shuffled in place, not wanting to meet her gaze. “I do not wish to become ... dirty.”

Mother tsked and shook her head. “Is that truly thy greatest concern at this moment?”

I considered the question carefully. “Yes.”

Mother’s expression deepened into a scowl. “We must address this.”

“By leaving the cavern?” I asked hopefully, perking up in unlikely optimism.

“If my daughter is so weak-willed she must flee a tiny bit of dirt, then yes,” she snipped.

I winced and hunched my shoulders. “I am not weak-willed. I simply do not like dirt.”

“This is more than a mere preference.” Mother jabbed a hoof down at the muck beneath her. “When it prevents you from doing your duty as a magus, it becomes a problem that needs to be addressed.”

I let out an annoyed huff. “So what am I to do?”

“Overcome it.” Mother pointed to a nearby wall covered in the fluorescent mushrooms. “Now, aid me in gathering the reagents.” Her eyes narrowed, brokering no argument. “And that is a command, not a request. Understood?”

I sighed and nodded. “Aye, I understand.” My teeth clenched as I stepped into the muck and went where my mother commanded me. Under her instructions, I went about collecting the desired materials, though the work garnered no love from me.

After some time working in silence, I decided to give my mind something else to think about. “Do you think Daylight will have the votes needed to become Archmagus of Eastmarch?”

“Of course.” She scooped a patch of mushrooms she had been harvesting into a glass jar. “Even if there have been one or two irksome developments. Certainly Morning breaking step with me was an unexpected problem.”

I blinked in surprise, as this was news to me. Mine old master had been one of Mother’s allies since the Lunar Rebellion. “Morning broke from you? But why?”

Mother frowned as she scanned for more of the specific mushroom she desired. “She favors a more aggressive stance than I. Evidently, she and Shadow are in closer accord on this matter.”

“I do not think that should be too much trouble in this matter,” I told her. “Daylight also argues for a more aggressive approach with the reivers. It seems to me that she would vote for him if that is the deciding issue for her.”

Mother grumbled with severe irritation. “I would prefer a magus whose career I have sponsored to show more gratitude. Especially when I went to so much trouble to find her a position in which she was comfortable after her husband’s death.”

I considered what might be at the heart of Mother's unhappiness. True, she was rarely happy when somepony broke ranks with her, but in this instance I sensed there was something else triggering her displeasure. “Are you worried there might be a fracture forming in your faction?”

She stopped her work for but a moment after I asked my question. “That is one possible concern, yes. Especially when Shadow also supports a more aggressive line. Add to that Daylight agreeing with them and you can start to see a pattern.”

“I do not see Her Highness supporting being aggressive on this, though,” I said. “She will seek peace as long as ‘tis viable.”

“She prefers caution to aggressive action. Though...” Mother wore a troubled smile. “It is enough to make me concerned. It is not a small faction, and those within it usually show good judgment.”

I digested this information as I harvested some moss. “So then you worry that if enough of her more valued councilors argue in favor of a raid, Princess Celestia will bow to their wishes?”

“And I cannot deny the possibility that they could see something I do not,” Mother groused, scraping away some moss with more effort than was technically needed.

“Then there is the possibility that High King Severus does indeed desire a war,” I admitted, not liking the idea. “And giving him the time to marshal his forces and act during a time and place of his design would only be to our detriment.”

“Just so.” Mother put a stopper into one of her jars. “Hence why 'tis so important to learn what Severus plans. Something I have gone to considerable effort to achieve.”

“To little gain, thus far, unfortunately.” Severus’ court had been damnably difficult to penetrate. ‘Tween nobles suffering poverty, all the gryphons in a royal retinue, and political enemies, ‘twas highly unusual that we could not find even one agent when normally Equestria could always find someone to serve as a spy.

“Thus far, yes.” Mother stretched out her limbs to limber them. “Meeting with his diplomats should reveal something at least. There is only so long he can hide his intentions without causing confusion within his own ranks.”

“That was mine own thought as well.” I finished gathering up the mushrooms and gave her a smile. “I am done, Mother.”

Mother scrutinized the jars I had filled with components. At the end of her examination she frowned. “It is a start.”

Mine eye twitched. “‘A start?’”

Mother started away putting her own jars. “We will have to work on desensitizing thee of this aversion to dirt. ‘Tis unbecoming of a magus.” She hummed to herself as she rubbed her chin. “Perhaps some work with Archmagus Banks?”

I grimaced. “But he lives in a bog.”

Mother gave me an evil smile. “That is precisely the point. A brief time under his tutelage would help thee build influence with another archmagus, and he will put thee to work on something that puts an end to this unbecoming behavior. ‘Tis quite ideal, I think.”

This was not a plan I favored. While I respected Archmagus Mossy Banks from a healthy distance, I did not wish to work in his bog. The issue being that Mother was now seriously considering the idea. Telling her I did not want to go was not going to be sufficient reason for her not to send me, and could even provoke her to take more immediate action. Neigh, I needed a different approach if I was going to avoid the grime of the bog.

“But did we not wish for me to find a patron?” I asked quickly. “If we found a suitable patron, I would need to start working for that pony as soon as it is decided lest we insult him or her.”

“That is true.” Mother pressed her lips together. “Though Archmagus Banks would make a fine choice. He is a skilled and powerful magus in his own right, and is considered a hero by many...”

Damnation, this was not starting out the way I desired. “We should consider our other options as well!” I said even more quickly. “To be thorough. Naturally. As should be done with such an important decision. That would only be logical.”

Mother raised an eyebrow. “I suppose I could hear thine options. Hast thou anypony in mind?”

A few ponies had come to the forefront of mine thinking, so I went ahead with presenting them. “We did speak of Shadow being my patron. I could hardly do better than with the Lady Protector of Equestria.” I also quite liked Shadow. She had always been kind to me, and listened to my questions.

“True, she would make for a fine patron.” Mother snapped off her rubber gloves. “Though if thou thinkest Shadow would spare thee dirt and exertion...”

I considered this idea. ‘Twas true that dirt and exertion came naturally to any army camp. I had seen that readily enough, the latest example being Magus Daylight’s camp of reiver-hunters. “I must be doomed to become dirty.”

“Aye, if I have my way about it,” Mother said as she put her gloves away. “Whom else hast thou considered?”

I sighed as a sense of inevitable doom fell over me. “There is Gale. Mayhaps she is not as influential as Shadow, but a patronage with her can have its benefits when she is a spymaster. Not to mention I should yet get Shadow’s approval.”

“She is worth considering,” Mother agreed. “Even if she is not my favorite due to our past issues with one another.”

I frowned as I reviewed my next option. “Would you disapprove of Magus Morning as my patron? I realize you two are somewhat in conflict with one another right now, but she is influential within the Magus Order in her own right and has served as a fine master for me as an apprentice.”

Mother waved my worries off. “A minor political squabble o'er one single issue. ‘Tis hardly worth burning bridges o'er, especially if it returns her to the fold. Though I would note that she is not quite as influential as she once was.”

“We should at least consider it with the conclave here soon, not to mention a potential war,” I urged her. “Solidarity within the Magus Corps is no small thing at the moment.”

“Quite so.” Mother finished putting her harvesting equipment away and then restrapped her saddlebags on. “Certainly if your choice of patron can turn the tide that would be of use. Anyone else thou wert considering?”

I shook my head. “Neigh, not particularly.”

“Then I will think the matter over.” Mother led the way out of the mushroom-lined cave. “In the meantime, thou shouldst speak with those thou wouldst have as a patron, and see if they would accept thee. No sense putting our eggs into a basket that will not hold them.”

I nodded. “I will do so.”

“Good then.” Mother craned her head back to look at me. “Though we should also consider thy marriage as well with the conclave approaching.”

Ah, I knew this matter was coming up sooner or later, and ‘twas not hard to figure out my mother’s line of thinking. “Because my marriage might be necessary to secure an alliance during the conclave?”

Mother nodded. “Just so. I believe everything should be fine, but you can never know for certain how one might proceed. Thy marriage is an important trump card I can play, if necessary.” She narrowed her eyes at me. “I trust that will not be an issue.”

I shook my head. “Neigh, ‘tis not so long as ‘tis a good match.”

Mother scoffed. “I would hardly marry thee to some inferior partner. The idea of having some inbred imbecile as my son-in-law is repulsive. I am drawing up a list of candidates that I would find acceptable.”

My ears perked at this information. “Anypony I should know about?”

“Once the list is done, we can go over it together,” Mother said, giving me damnably little to go on.

“That is fine then,” I said, trying to sound amiable. Though I decided to needle Mother with something that might coax a bit more out of her. “I know we do have to worry about producing an heir for our house.”

“Naturally,” Mother said as we continued down the cavern passageway. “It is one of my primary concerns. I hardly wish for my house to die out so quickly. The nobility could use a house of actual distinction amongst its numbers.”

“That would be good,” I agreed absentmindedly. Mother’s dislike was widely known, and I knew disagreeing with her about the place of the nobility was a pointless endeavor. “Though with my marriage being considered, that makes me wonder how I should approach ... propositions made towards me.”

“Ah?”

I shuffled, uncertain how best to proceed with this. “I am not quite sure how serious she is, but Subtle has made propositions of an amorous nature towards me.”

Mother shrugged. “Bed her if it is thy wish, but we need a legitimate heir.”

I tilted my head at this, for I had not quite expected this type of reaction from her. “Legitimate, or 'legitimate’?”

“Unambiguously legitimate,” Mother asserted. “I was common-born, and thou wert natural-born. ‘Tis one of the reasons why I wish to make a proper marriage for thee; as much as I dislike playing by the nobility’s rules, we must create an air of legitimacy around our house now for it to prosper in the future. For that, we need a proper marriage, and children born within it. If thou dost take a lover, ‘tis to be no more than a dalliance. Understood?”
“Yes, Mother.” Her position was quite clear on this matter, and I did not particularly wish to argue with her over a topic I was not exactly comfortable with. I could speak of such things with more ease than I had in the past, probably a consequence of dealing regularly with Subtle, but it still did not come naturally to me.

“Good, then.” The two of us walked together in silence for a time. Though at length Mother spoke to me again. “How fare thy studies, my daughter?”

“Quite well,” I answered. “I have the basics down for your technique with ice and fire. I do not have thy proficiency in it, but I am nonetheless pleased with my progress.”

“Very good, then.” Mother checked a sign before continuing down another passage. “And thine other studies?”

“That is part of what I was looking into last night. I was trying to see what else I might master.” I frowned as I contemplated the issues I had been running into as of late. “Though what I found is that most of what interested me were increasingly obscure or highly specialized forms of magic.”

Mother’s steps slowed slightly. “Oh really? Does this trouble thee?”

“It does.” I thought over how best to describe my troubles. “While I have been making a lot of progress lately in my studies, ‘tis just ... I am not sure quite how to describe it. 'Tis as though I were reaching a plateau. I daresay my evocation is better than it has ever been, and that despite the practice I put into it, I cannot cast my spells with any more efficiency than I have already mastered.”

Mother fell back to walk beside me. “Ah, yes, there comes a point where study provides no more.”

I tilted my head. “That is not quite what I would expect an archmagus to say.”

“Oh?” Mother took on an imperious air. “Didst thou think that all there was to being a magus was books?”

I shook my head. “Of course not. I suppose 'tis just I did not expect to be reaching my limits so soon.”

Mother smirked as she poked my shoulder. “Thou hast a peerless teacher, if I might say so.”

“That is true,” I admitted. “You and Morning have done very well.” There was little complaint I could have in their teaching methods. Even when I spoke with some of my peers, I could tell the difference in the quality of my education in comparison. “Still, ‘tis a strange idea that my studies are yielding fewer rewards than they had in the past. Especially when I wish to reach greater heights than I already have.”

‘Twas a fact that I had simply not reached my mother’s level of mastery. While I could explain some of that as due to experience, I still could not help the feeling that she was much more powerful than myself. This was an unpleasant thought when I wished to reach her station someday.

“It means thou needst to expand thy work to new avenues,” Mother told me. “Hence why a good patron will be of use. Learning new skills will help thee advance.”

“So it seems like. Hence why I should work on getting a patron, among other things...” I sighed as my frustrations built, for I could feel another argument for training with Mossy Banks coming. “I merely wish to become an archmagus someday.”

“I am sure thou wilt, my child,” Mother said. “Thou art already well on thy way to doing so.”

“Thank you.” It felt good to hear Mother say that I was doing well, especially towards reaching my goal of becoming an archmagus. There were a great many things swirling around me. The rising reiver attacks, the conclave, managing my career, and my progress as a magus. Mayhaps I worried for nothing, but still I felt insufficient. Much like dirt, doubts clung to me.


Once we returned to the tower I immediately went about cleaning myself of the filth of the caves. Mother wished to make her potions alone, so that left me the opportunity to do some things I wished to take care of for the evening. After making myself presentable, I headed to the Kicker Compound. I wished to check up on my friend Gale, and speak with Shadow about the idea of her becoming my patron. Mother was seriously considering making Mossy Banks my patron, so ‘twould be best to secure other options as quickly as possible before Mother set her mind to a specific course.

A pity for me that there was one specific fact that I had not taken into account when I set out for the Kicker Compound. I was but a quarter of the way to my destination when it started raining. In my rush I had forgotten to check the weather schedule and see that there was to be a downpour that evening. If not for my shield spell I surely would have been drenched within a few minutes. Unfortunately, I had to pick my way around puddles and mud all the way to the Kickers’ home.

Thankfully, I managed to reach my destination without dirtying myself, even if the trip had taken about twice as long because of the rain. Thus it was a relief when I reached the door to the main keep of the castle the Kickers had made their home. I knocked and waited, happy that I was but moments from relief from the weather.

Naturally that is when she struck. All the warning I received was the taunting laughter of children as they ran past me, each of them splashing into a muddy puddle, and thoroughly splattering me with water and mud. Alas, the sudden shock of the cold water hitting me caused me to lose my concentration on my shield spell, and the dome over my head dissipated. In but moments I was soaked.

My eye twitched and I turned to watch as the children ran down the street playing whatever game amused them in the evening downpour. At their head was her: the Perfidious Filly. She cackled with obvious malice as she galloped down the street at the lead of her nefarious horde of ne’er-do-wells. No doubt on her way to committing some greater heinous act. Of course ‘twas she who had struck, for who else would torment me so? (2)

2. It should be noted that ever since she had partaken in the Kicker Clan’s snowball war, Midnight had become convinced that the “Perfidious Filly” as she called her was up to some great evil, and she regularly crossed Midnight’s path over the coming months. I’m a bit skeptical that some random filly could be great evil or somehow have it in for Midnight, and Midnight is known for her various eccentricities.

Before I could decide on how to deal with the insidious Perfidious Filly, the keep door opened. Ash Kicker frowned up at me. “Magus Sparkle?”

Mine eye twitched again as I turned to Shadow’s son. After consideration, I decided that ‘twould be best to get inside and out of the rain and mud. Likely the Perfidious Filly was merely attempting to lead me into an ambush after her nefarious attack. But she would have her day, that I swore.

My course decided, I did my best to give Ash a friendly smile despite my miserable current condition. “Ash, 'tis good to see thee again.”

Ash took an instinctive step back for some curious reason as his shoulders tensed. “Yes, of course Magus. Are you ... are you well?”

“That Perfidious Filly has struck again, and I am now muddy and wet,” I informed him. “May I come inside and dry off?”

“Please, come in, Magus.” Ash let me inside and he looked me over. “Shall I retrieve a towel for you?”

I nodded. “I would be most thankful.”

“Very well then. Please wait here.” He turned to leave, but then paused in a nearby doorway. “You wished to speak with Mother, yes? Shall I tell her you are here?”

“If thou wouldst not mind,” I told him. “I also wanted to see Gale while I visited. But perhaps seeing one before the other might be best.”

“I believe Gale is with Dusk in their quarters,” Ash informed me.

“That would make sense.” I noticed that I was making a puddle on the stone floor and was reminded of my more immediate needs. “So first a towel, please. I am indecent for company as I am. I will see thy family once I am presentable again.”

“Of course, Magus.” Ash scampered off but soon returned with several towels. “Here you go.”

I took them and went about drying myself off. Thankfully between the towels and my magic ‘twas a quick job to return semblance to my dignity. “Now then, is thy mother available?”

“I believe Mother was going to have her lunch soon,” Ash told me. “I expect she would not object to your joining her.”

“I would welcome the hospitality.” I offered the used towels to Ash and he took them. “Let us deal with these towels, and then I would consider it a kindness if thou wouldst lead the way to thy mother.”

“Of course, Magus.” Ash showed me further into the keep and we soon found ourselves in the armory. Arms and armor lined the walls in neat rows, and sitting at a bench polishing her armor was the Lady Protector Shadow herself.

Shadow looked up when we entered the room and smiled when she spotted us. “Midnight. Please, join me. I hope the weather did not inconvenience thee too terribly.”

“It did, but sometimes we must bear what we must.” I decided not to bring up the Perfidious Filly right at that moment. Sadly, while Shadow was a virtuous and capable mare, she was like most ponies and did not believe me when I spoke of the black-hearted fiend’s evil. Someday I would have my proof of the Perfidious Filly’s true wickedness, but for now I would have to concentrate on other matters. “Your son was the perfect host, though.”

“I am glad to hear it.” Shadow smiled approvingly at her son.

Ash’s face flushed at the praise. “Thank you, Magus. Mother, I have been told by the chefs that lunch is nearly ready. Shall the dining room be prepared?”

Shadow nodded. “Tell them to do so, and to make preparations for a guest.” She seemed to think to herself for a moment before adding, “And wouldst thou mind dining with thy sister for lunch? I would like to speak with Midnight about things that I fear would merely bore thee, Ash.”

“That is fine, Mother, I will tell the chefs what to do.” He departed and left me alone with Shadow.

Shadow picked up the rag and returned to rubbing a particularly troublesome spot on her armor. “I hope thou didst not expect a grand banquet. 'Twill merely be vegetable stew in a trencher.”

“That is quite fine, especially when I was not expected as a guest. Mine apologies for not sending word that I would be coming ahead of time.” I was not about to be rude to my host. Not when I knew that this was how she traditionally ate, and as I said, had not called ahead about mine intentions. Besides, complaining would only have served to undermine my purpose for coming here.

“'Tis fine.” Done with polishing her armor, Shadow placed it to the side. In truth, ‘twas rare for me to see her without her armor on, even in her own home. “What brings thee by? Is this merely a social call?”

“There were a couple of things I wished to ask you,” I informed her. “Not that I mind thy company.”

“Of course thou hast questions.” Shadow smiled coyly and waved a hoof. “Ask, then.”

There seemed little reason to dance around the issue I had come here to speak about, so I struck at the heart of the issue. “My mother and I have been discussing the idea of me finding a patron. She thinks I am of the age for it, and have learned the most that I can from her.” I tried not to let any frustration on that last point seep into my voice. While I had made great strides in my magic over the last few months, there was still the nagging feeling I was reaching a ceiling I could not press through.

“Ah, yes, that is quite so.” Shadow’s gaze became more distant, as though she saw something that was not there. “I believe I was but a year or two younger than thee when I served my time in the Patrol, and Gale did the same at a similar age. Did she have any particular candidates in mind?”

“She did, aye.” I hesitated before I forced myself to continue. While Shadow was of course a logical patron, the thought she might reject me out of hoof was unsettling to say the least. “If I might be so bold, your name was one that was brought up ‘tween us.”

Shadow inclined her head in acknowledgement. “Small surprise. Mine alliance with thy mother has been one of the bedrocks of Equestria's new order. In truth, my only concern is that I fear there is little we could teach thee of magic.” She gave me a knowing smile. “But then, thy knowledge of magic is in little need of expansion, is it?”

“That is what we thought,” I agreed, not mentioning my magical woes. “Mother argued that a diversification of my education would be best for me. Naturally I would learn quite different subjects from you than Mother.”

“And that much, we could certainly manage,” Shadow agreed. “In older days, 'twas common for magi and warlock hunters to work alongside one another for precisely that reason. Such teams were quite effective, as well. I remember my own time working with Copper Spark...” Her eyes glossed over slightly as she thought back to her youth.

“A fine idea, and one I could hardly argue against.” I felt no small relief that Shadow seemed amenable to the idea of being my patron. “Especially considering some of the other options presented to me...”

Shadow raised an eyebrow. “Is that so? Who else wert thou considering to be thy patron?”

I shuffled, realizing I had made a slip of the tongue in my excitement. “One of Mother’s suggestions was to send me to Archmagus Mossy Banks for a time.”

“Ah.” Shadow smiled fondly. “He is a fine magus, and could doubtlessly teach thee a great deal.”

I grimaced. “Yes, but I would have to go to his bog.”

Shadow gave me a flat look. “And?”

“Bogs are dirty and muddy,” I explained. Really, why did I have to state the obvious to everypony?

Shadow’s voice lost some of its warmth and took on a tone she normally used when instructing one of her soldiers. “So they are. But sometimes we grow stronger by facing adversity and o'ercoming it. That, and we must go where duty demands. Not every assignment I was sent on was to a climate I found inviting.” A frown grew on her features. “Doubtless that is why thy mother thought to assign thee to aiding him.”

I sighed and nodded. “Aye, that was her logic.”

Shadow rose from her cushion to stand over me. “And thou hast said many times that it is thy wish to grow stronger, neigh?”

“This I cannot deny.” Feeling doom fall over me once more, I asked, “Am I to guess that you agree with Mother?”

“I think that, as is often the case, there is an undeniable logic to her words.” Shadow’s frown disappeared as she smiled. “That said, I would not object to taking thee as my client.”

I felt a smiled spread on my lips. “That much would be good.”

Shadow’s smile took on a wry edge. “Though if I did take thee as my client, I do think I might send thee to Mossy Banks anyway. If he would have thee for a time, I think ‘twould be good for thee to face some adversity.”

Mine own smile became quite brittle. “That is ... something to consider.” I did not like the idea of having to work for Mossy Banks, but everywhere I turned it seemed that I was doomed to have to work for him. While Shadow and Mother often argued with one another, it seemed that both of them were of a like mind on this issue. It made me wonder if that would be the case with all the other patrons Mother would find acceptable.

Shadow led the way out of the armory and beckoned me to follow. “Though I am curious, who else hast thou considered as thy patron?”

“Gale and Morning were also discussed,” I informed her as we continued to dining chamber. “But I could hardly turn you down as my patron if 'tis offered. In truth, I would be sorely tempted to serve you. You are the Lady Protector of the realm, after all. What more prestigious patron could I have, short of Her Highness?”

“And I would be honored to accept thy service,” Shadow said with a smile. “Though either Gale or Morning would certainly make fine choices as well. Gale would no doubt enjoy thy service, and Morning is a fine mare and magus. I think 'tis largely a question of thine own preferences. I would welcome thy service if 'tis offered, though I would take no offense if 'twas thy wish to speak with the others under consideration first. A commitment of several years is not to be made lightly.”

“That is true,” I agreed, unable to deny her logic. “Mother wished for me to discuss the possibility of patronage with them in any event.”

“‘Tis a reasonable thing to do.” We entered the dining hall where a pair of ponies from the kitchen were finishing setting up our places at the table. A pair of trenchers full of stew sat steaming. The bowls and utensils were simple wooden affairs, fitting the Kickers’ spartan tastes. Shadow sat at the head of the table and bid me to sit next to her. “Was there anything else on thy mind? I might as well answer any further question while thou art here.”

I fidgeted with my spoon as I considered what else had been on mine mind as of late. While I wasn’t sure about asking Shadow about some of the things that had been troubling me, there were only so many ponies I could bring my issues to, and she had offered her assistance. “In truth, there are other matters that give me far more consternation. Such as marriage, and, um, matters of romance.” I felt my cheeks start to burn. “Mine experience amounts to little with such things.”

“Ah, that is a concern.” Shadow took a second to dab her bread in her stew. “Doubtless thy mother seeks to find a suitable marriage for thee.”

“That she does,” I confirmed. “The issue is only punctuated by the fact that I need an heir for my house.”

Shadow took a bite out of her bread and chewed softly. “That is certainly a concern, yes.”

I sighed. “Mother says she is coming up with a list of potential matches that would be acceptable. So I will have to wait to see how matters develop until then.”

“Thou dost not seem too enthused by the prospect.”

I frowned as I parsed exactly what I was feeling right then. “I suppose I am not sure what to make of it. I do not object to the idea, I think. Just... I do not know. There are a great many questions I do not have the answers for yet. I cannot know if a proposed partner would be agreeable to me or not when I do not even know who that pony is.”

“I expect 'twill just be a matter of meeting thy possible mates,” Shadow observed. “A marriage depends a great deal on the right partner.”

“‘Twould be good to have someone I can at least get along with.” I ate a few spoonfuls of the vegetable soup to buy me time to think. “And I would desire an advantageous partner.”

“Naturally so.” Shadow finished off her slice of bread, her eyes on me while she chewed. “Though all of that depends on thy desires. Thou seemst unsure about marrying. Dost thou wish to remain unwed?”

I blinked slowly. ‘Twas an idea I had not even seriously considered. I had grown up knowing that I was likely to marry for political advantage. The suggestion I might reject the idea wholesale was a queer one to me. “In truth, I do not know. I have just always known I would be married. Opposing Mother on the issue has never crossed mine mind until just now, at least seriously.”

“I understand.” Shadow placed her spoon to the side to give me her full consideration. “And I would not let Sunbeam choose a poor partner for thee. If ‘tis thy desire, I could have words with her on the topic when next we meet. Whatever thine opinions are, I can express them to her, or I could press her to know who she would have marry thee.”

I tilted my head. “Thou wouldst do that? Attempting to tell her what she can and cannot do is liable to make her wroth with thee.”

Shadow snorted and returned to her stew. “I have weathered Sunbeam’s temper many times. Doing so once more does not bother me when ‘tis for a good cause such as thine happiness.”

A wave of embarrassment swept over me. My personal matters felt so petty, and here the Lady Protector of Equestria was offering me aid. Though while embarrassed, I could not deny that Shadow’s help could be priceless here. If only I knew exactly what I desired. “I would welcome thy aid. Even if I am unsure what I wish to do just yet.”

Shadow waved dismissively. “All the more reason for thee not to be pressed to do something thou dost not wish to do or will come to regret.”

She had a point. Mother could be most forceful in her persuasion, and she reacted poorly if I resisted her will. She had threatened to banish me to Froggy Bottom Bog for disliking dirt. How might she react if I rejected a marriage proposal arranged by her? Having somepony to act as a counterbalance to her would have its uses if ‘twas necessary.

“‘Tis fine if thou dost not know everything with certainty at thy age.” Shadow returned to her soup as she continued talking. “Life tends to make fools of us all in any event. The best I can recommend is to simply live well, and enjoy thy life. After those things all else can follow.”

“I will try and do so. While the issue of marriage eludes me, I would like to see the continuance of my house.” I tapped my spoon against the side of my bowl as I thought the matter over. “There is always possibility of taking a lover, even if the idea is somewhat embarrassing.”

“That is certainly a possibility,” Shadow said. “Certainly taking a lover ere marriage is an entirely normal decision.”

“So I have been led to believe,” I answered.

Shadow wiped her mouth with a napkin. “As I recall, one of thy companions has expressed such an interest.”

“Subtle has, aye.” I swirled my spoon within my bowl. “Though I know not how serious she is. She is ... difficult for me to read.”

Shadow shrugged. “For a casual lover, how serious need it be? I have taken a number of lovers over the years, and for the most part that has been enough for me. ‘Tis not for everypony, but everypony must take their own path.”

“That is most true.” I honestly still did not know what I would do quite yet. There were a great many possibilities before me, and even more questions about the future.

“And if thou dost have any questions, thou canst always ask me,” Shadow told me, smiling warmly. “We have long known one another, and I would like to aid thee if I can.”

A question crossed my mind, one that had made me reluctant to ask Shadow to be my patron to start with. Though she was being quite helpful at the moment. Mayhaps there would be no harm in clarifying the issue. “I believe there is one matter that should be addressed, if I were to become your client, and ‘tis along the lines of what we have discussed.”

Shadow nodded as she worked on finishing her bowl. “Aye?”

It took me some moments to summon the courage to finally ask my question. “W-would you desire me as a ... lover?” My mouth felt dry as I forced myself to continue. “I r-realize that many patrons and clients end up as lovers. Especially amongst the pegasi.” (3)

3. While not universal, considering each patron-client relationship was different, this was often the case with the pegasi of Pegasopolis, and in many cases among the unicorns and earth ponies at the time. Specifically with the pegasi, many young warriors gained the attention of powerful patrons by becoming romantically involved with them. Such was how Bright Charger’s later children were born, and it was through such liasons that Steel Striker and Swift Blade’s children also came to be. In all these cases, these ephors are reported to have supported the rise of their clients.

Shadow blinked and sat back in her chair. “That is ... an arrangement that sometimes arises, aye. But I would hardly seek to place thee in such a position.”

I tilted my head. “Would you consider it to be improper?”

Shadow nodded. “For one, I have known thee since thou wert a young child.”

The point was well put, but still it ... stung. Why did it, though? “Ah, so I am undesirable for such a thing?”

“I hardly said that, simply...” Shadow trailed off, and she gave me a serious stare. “Wouldst thou desire such a thing?” The words sounded incredulous. Whether because she herself did not desire such a thing, or thought it wholly improper due to her being twice my age I could not say.

Would I desire such a thing? Yet another difficult question on top of so many others. “I did fancy you when I was younger.” I blushed and looked down at the table. “I have always greatly admired you.”

“I am quite flattered to hear it.” Shadow put her spoon down as she addressed me. “Though to be quite honest, I had always thought it more likely thou didst look upon me as ... something more maternal.”

I frowned as I tried to figure out what I felt towards Shadow. ‘Twas not an easy prospect. Emotions always seemed to baffle me, at least with subjects such as these. “That is also true. I have always valued your advice. And... ‘Tis good to be able to talk with somepony when I cannot do so with Mother.”

Shadow nodded. “And as such, I would hardly wish to pressure thee into something outside our current relationship.”

“I see. Though I am not sure ‘pressured’ is the right word for such a thing.” Shadow raised an eyebrow at my response, and I groaned and pressed my head to the table. Even I was unsure what I was saying. I could not even determine how exactly I felt toward Shadow, even after all the years I had known her. “In truth, I wonder if I ever know what I am doing. Whether on this matter or anything else.”

Shadow reached out a hoof to rub my back. “We all feel that way at times. There is nothing strange about that.”

“Good to hear I am not alone in that.” I shook my head. “Why must such things be so complicated?”

“I am sure thou wilt figure things out for thyself in time.” She patted me on the back. “Thou art an intelligent mare, like thy mother, and thou dost just fine when thou puts thy mind to a task.”

I sighed and nodded. “Mayhaps I should take my leave to see Gale? I need time to think.”

“That is fine, Midnight,” Shadow said, a note of hesitation in her voice. “Gale will no doubt wish to see thee, and my daughter could surely use the company considering her condition.”


The shatter of pottery ‘pon the wall was the first warning I heard as I traversed down the hallways. The second was Ash Kicker trotting away from Gale’s quarters. “I would retreat if I were you,” he called out as he passed me quickly in the opposite direction.

I opened my mouth to ask him why, but he was dust around the corner before I could even form a syllable. Now concerned and confused, I continued to Gale’s rooms within the keep.

A warning cry greeted me the moment I stepped into Gale’s sitting room, and I ducked down instinctively. A vase flew over my head and crashed against the wall, shattering and sending broken ricocheting into the air and to the floor.

I came face-to-face with Dusk as he took cover behind a couch. “Gale is in a mood.”

“What type of mood?” I asked.

Another vase flew out of the kitchen, this time with an audible accompaniment of curses from Gale, and hit the wall.

“Need I expand?” Dusk asked flatly.

“What did you do?”

“Nothing!” Dusk insisted.

I peeked up to see Gale storm out of the kitchen and into the living room. She mumbled several curses to herself as she carried a stack of plates. Her mane was frazzled and there were heavy bags under her eyes, but that was not the most prominent change in my friend: her belly was now heavily swollen with child, and I suspected that was the source of her current displeasure.

Gale’s humors had been badly imbalanced by her pregnancy. Even by the standards of most mares who found themselves with child, she had found the whole experience troublesome. Where some mares bore their children with a certain radiance, Gale bore it like a stormcloud laden with lightning bolts.

Gale’s baleful glare fell upon Dusk’s hiding spot. “Damnable bastard! Come out here and face the consequences of thy actions!”

I looked down to Dusk. “What did you do to enrage her so?”

Dusk winced as a plate struck the wall. “I just said she looked comely this day!”

“Dost thou take me for a fool, liar!” Gale snarled, shaking a plate threateningly in Dusk’s direction.

“Did she finally decide to kill you quickly?” I asked the besieged stallion. “Is she to cave your skull in, causing bone to break as splinters of your skull puncture your brain, finally resulting in a quick but no less agonizing death as your brain ceases to function?”

Dusk shook his head. “Neigh, I think she is missing me on purpose.”

I tilted my head. “Then why are you hiding?”

Dusk shot me an unamused glower. “Because I have not lived this long by taking careless risks.”

Another plate flew past me to strike the wall, forcing me to give my friend my full attention. “Gale, 'tis not polite to throw things at somepony who complimented thine appearance.”

“He lied to me!” Gale prepared another plate to throw. Surely the pair of them did not have infinite stoneware?

Dusk let out a frustrated groan and poked his head over the top of the couch. “Should I have told thee that thou wert bloated and uncomely, then?”

Gale gasped. “Thou thinkest me ugly?! After thou havest done this to me?!” She threw another plate at Dusk, forcing him to jump back behind his cover.

Dusk ran a hoof through his mane. “Mayhaps I should leave?”

“How canst thou leave thy pregnant wife?! Knave! Cur!” Gale finally ran out of plates and fell back on hurling insults.

Not wishing to see this escalate further, I tried to be the voice of reason. “Mayhaps thou shouldst lie down, Gale. Based on the fact thou art destroying all thy possessions, I believe thy humours are badly imbalanced.”

“How can they not be when my husband is the foulest of louts?!” Gale snarled. “I should poison his tea!”

“If thou dost not cease this, I might drink it!” Dusk groaned.

Gale picked up another vase, but I grasped it with my magic to hold it in place. “That is quite enough,” I chided. “How about we see thee to the couch for now until thy humors calm?”

Gale blinked in shock. “But-but-but—!” She sniffed and then started wailing, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Not knowing what to do, I gently patted Gale on the back. “Um, there there?” I glanced Dusk’s way. “Let me try and aid your wife for a bit. I wished to speak with her in any event.”

Seeing that his relief had come, Dusk stood and smartly made his way to the exit. “My thanks Midnight. I will make sure to repay you for this.” He retreated from the keep, leaving me with his crying wife.

I guided Gale to the couch as she wailed. “Um, handkerchief?” I hazarded, offering one to her.

Gale took the handkerchief and wiped her face with it. “Ah, thank you Midnight.”

“Art thou feeling better now?” I asked, hoping the worst of her humors had passed.

Gale whined within her throat and shook her head. “I miss Dusk. He's such a good husband...”

I raised an eyebrow, quite confused. “Thou wert throwing things at him and threatened to poison him but a few minutes ago.”

Gale’s shoulders became wracked by sobs. “I know! I am a most terrible creature! All he wanted to do was compliment me, and I drove him away!” She suddenly wrapped her legs around me in a crushing grip and sobbed uncontrollably into my shoulder. I would have no doubt comforted my friend were it not for the fact I was rather inconveniently being squeezed to death. Gale was always an enthusiastic hugger, but in this instance her hug would be my doom if it kept up.

I struggled futilely as Gale crushed the life out of me. “Gale ... breathing ... needed ... to live...!”

Only as the darkness started creeping in from the edges of my vision did Gale let me out of the death-grip. I squeaked and gasped for breath while Gale gave me a concerned look over. “Mine apologies, my friend. I did not mean to hurt thee.”

“‘Tis fine,” I managed to squeak out between breaths.

Gale rubbed my back as I recovered. “Once again, mine apologies, I lost myself to my humors.”

“So I noticed.” I rolled one of my shoulders to make sure it had not been too hurt by Gale’s hug. “I came to see how thou wert doing, and if there was anything thou needed. Though events took an unexpected turn.”

Gale sighed and then blew her nose with the handkerchief. “All I desire is an end to this madness and mine unbalanced humors.”

“I believe that only ends after thou hast delivered the foal,” I said. “Which is some months away.”

Gale groaned as she buried her face in her hooves. “This better be worth it as Mother says, or I will be most cross with her.”

“Most mares seem to believe the effort is worth the trouble,” I said, trying to be helpful. “Thou wert most happy when Ash was born.”

“It was much easier to be eager to see my little brother because I did not have to go through the trouble of bringing him into the world.” Gale flopped down onto the couch, placing her head on my knee. “Thou wilt understand if thou ever comes to carry a foal.”

“I never said ‘twas easy,” I answered. Certainly no mare I had heard from had said as much. Even if most of them seemed to have had an easier time than Gale was going through.

Gale groaned again. “I will murder him for doing this to me!” she snarled, her humors’ swinging wildly.

“That would be a poor idea. Murder is rarely the answer.” I nodded to her belly. “What is more, I believe thou hadst a role in this as well.”

Gale let out an annoyed huff. “Do not remind me how much of a fool I was to allow this to happen to me.”

“I am sorry that this pregnancy has been so hard on thee.” I fidgeted, unsure what to do. “Is there anything I can do to aid thee? I have wished to check up on thee since I returned to Canterlot.”

Gale sighed. “I fear there is little until my humors settle, though I appreciate thy concern.” She stroked her belly as she let out another sigh. “So, what can I do for thee, my friend?”

“Hm?”

The corner of Gale’s mouth turned up in a grin. “I can tell that something is on thy mind, so out with it.”

“If there is nothing I can do for thee, then I suppose there was one thing I wished to discuss with thee,” I admitted. “My mother and I have been talking about getting me a patron.”

“Ah.” Gale nodded and smiled. “I would be glad to be thy patron, Midnight.”

I tilted my head. “Thou knewest that is what I wished to speak with thee about?”

“I am a spymaster, Midnight.” Gale shifted on the couch to find a more comfortable position for herself and her foal. “I could hardly claim to be so if I did not know what was happening about Canterlot. Even if my current condition prevents me from doing my duties.”

I reached for her belly, but stopped my hoof short, not wishing to be rude to her by touching her without permission. “But it is good to hear thou art willing to support me in this.”

Gale rolled her eyes and guided my hoof to her belly. “Didst thou ever doubt that I would?”

I shook my head. “Neigh, I did not. Not if I asked.” I started stroking her belly with my hoof. ‘Twas a curious sensation, to know that there was a new life growing within my friend. It made me think of how I needed an heir and of the future.

“And art thou asking?”

I nodded. “I am asking if thou wouldst consider it, aye. Not that I have settled on anypony, but Mother and I thought it best we check with everypony I was considering, such as thy mother, before committing. I hope that does not offend thee.”

“Not at all.” Gale stretched and settled into her spot. “And Mother or I would suit thee. We are both ponies of influence, and could teach thee much. ‘Twould not hurt to shore up the alliance with thy mother as well.”

“Mother did not argue against either idea,” I informed her. “Though one of you being my patron would likely result in me working with the other as well, now that I think about it.”

“Aye, quite possibly.” Gale shrugged. “It depends on how matters proceed. What my mother and I require to be done can be quite different sometimes.”

“Still, 'tis good to know I have thy support.” I continued rubbing her belly while running a hoof through her mane to try and restore some order to it. “Even if gaining a patron does bring up questions I had not considered before, and some of them embarrassing in nature.”

“Such as?”

My cheeks started burning again, damnable physiological reactions. “Like how it is sometimes customary for a patron and client to have ... relations.”

Gale blinked. “Thou wouldst do that with Mother?”

A hybrid of a smile and a grimace contorted my face. “That is ... a possibility.”

Gale frowned slightly. “I suppose, aye. Though she is twice thy age, Midnight. She would not require that of thee.”

I shook my head. “I know, and she has not, I assure thee.”

“Good then.” Gale groaned and rubbed her face. “Thou and Mother, that is not something I ever wish to think about.”

“Neigh, I suppose not. Though I suppose that the same option would technically be possible with thee as well if thou became my patron.” My cheeks burned all the hotter. The idea of doing ... such things with my best friend was ... more queer. “But thou art a married mare. I should not consider such things. ‘Tis indecent.”

Gale blinked in surprise. “I ... did not expect that. Certainly not with thee.”

I hunched my shoulders as the terrible weight of embarrassment pressed on me for the second time in a single day. “N-neigh, I would think not, for all the obvious reasons.” Mine eyes flicked to her belly.

“Indeed.” Gale scoffed as her eyes rolled. “Dusk would like that, doubtless.”

My head tilted upon hearing that. “He would?”

“Of course he would,” Gale groused. “He always has had an eye for pretty mares, and he would no doubt find it entertaining if I brought a pretty mare to our bed.”

I knew not how to react to that. This was certainly not the direction I had thought our conversation would go. My friend must have noticed my confusion, for she grinned up at me. “I would be wary of letting Dusk hear of such talk, for he might think that this is a possibility.” She poked my belly. “If thou art not careful, he might put a foal in thee as well.”

I blushed most terribly. “I do not understand thy marriage. This information only serves to confuse me all the more.”

Gale shrugged. “It is a unique one.” She groaned and rubbed her face. “I will need to apologize for my humors later. I made quite the scene and chased him off. That, and I terribly miss him.”

“Wouldst thou like for me to retrieve him?” Though now I was far more reluctant to go see Dusk alone after all Gale had just told me. Why was life becoming so confusing all of a sudden?

Gale shook her head. “Neigh, not yet.” She pulled a blanket over herself and placed her hoof on mine own so that they both rested on her belly. “I am comfortable right now, and I would not have that ruined by the foul sight of my husband.”

That directly contradicted what she had just said about Dusk a second ago, but I decided to drop the issue. Gale was content for the moment, and that was good enough. “Thy strange marriage makes me wonder how my marriage would work. Assuming I were to be married.”

“'Twould depend on who takes thy heart.” Gale hummed to herself. “I will perhaps do some research of mine own on the topic. No doubt thy mother is considering possibilities, but I would not have her do so alone.”

“Thou wouldst do that?” This was certainly not something I thought Gale would take on herself.

Gale smiled up at me. “Aye, 'tis certainly of interest to me. Thou art a very dear friend to me and thou dost deserve a fine match, and I would not let thy mother pick a poor match for thee.”

I did not think Mother would pick a poor mate for me. Though I could not deny that she had her own priorities, but so would Gale, for that matter. Suddenly I felt as though I were in stormy waters. Picking my way ‘tween Mother and Gale had never been easy during the best of times, and my proposed marriage could be another source of discord ‘tween them.

But I could best manage these affairs by being an active participant in them, and thus I smiled for Gale. “It is good to hear I will have thy aid. In truth, I will be needing an heir to my house, and that is hard to manage without some assistance, as thou art no doubt aware.” I looked to her swollen belly.

“That is a concern, yes,” Gale mused as she stroked her own belly. “I am sure thou wishest make a great house.”

I nodded. “That is mine intention.”

“Hm.” Gale thought to herself for a time. “Then I am sure there are ways that could be arranged...”

Author's Note:

Thanks to my editors Chengar Qordath and Comma-Kazie for all their help, and to my pre-readers Brony Writer, wolfstorm56, Trinary, 621Chopsuey, Rodinga, PoisonClaw, and Swiftest for their hard work editing.