• Published 9th Apr 2018
  • 1,775 Views, 36 Comments

Code Red - StarsWillAidInHerEscape

  • ...
17
 36
 1,775

Vinyl Scratch

Everyone is looking at Vinyl Scratch expectantly. Her parents, the police, the investigators. Though there were so many people in the investigation room, she is lonely. Vinyl wants to speak so badly. To communicate from her lips like so many other people could. Everyone takes the gift for granted, but Vinyl knows how important it is. I am DJ Pon-3! She thinks. I stun audiences with all sorts of wonderful music and sounds. Yet, that does not matter now. She needs to speak. Vinyl’s eyes start getting watery, but thankfully her shades hide it. I can’t! She thinks bitterly. I can not speak.

Vinyl Scratch in a magical, musical world full of colors and light. Rather, she was walking down the hallway, bopping her head to music from her earbuds. The music that came from their tiny speakers seemed enhance everything amazing in life. Vinyl’s earbuds were essential to her, almost like an organ in her body. She would rather give up a kidney than her earbuds. The time Principal Celestia had confiscated her headphones had been torture. Ever since then, Vinyl had opted for her less conspicuous earbuds. Grabbing her books and getting to her next class was all a choreographed dance.
Art class. Vinyl’s haven. In art class, she was no longer Vinyl Scratch. She was DJ Pon-3. In art class, the teacher let her create music and song backgrounds and playlists and all sorts of wonderful things.

The class room was always alive with Photo Finish taking photos, Drama club kids acting, and the Pony Tones singing. All of the sounds made a wonderful music.

But something was breaking the rhythm. “Code Red...Code Red...this is not a drill...this is not a drill.” The song of the class was gone. A new song, a sinister sound.

As per procedure, the class gathered in the corner, leaving their projects unfinished. The music playing in Vinyl’s earbuds seemed fake now, the sound tinny and strange in her ears.

Bam! Something was wrong...That was a gunshot and does NOT belong in the school song. It was not right and it scared Vinyl. If there was a gunshot...things must be really bad...

Vinyl’s mind raced, the music from hearbuds failing to keep her ears safe from the terrifying, loud noise of gunshots. Vinyl hates loud noises. They hurt her ears and send stakes of fear and petrifyingness everywhere in her body. And the gunshots were getting louder. And louder. And closer. Until finally, the climax was reached. The blood roaring in Vinyl’s ears drowned out the sound of her earbuds.
The gunman stepped into the room. Photo Finish lifted up her camera and took one, single, perfect shot. The sound of the camera’s flash rang in Vinyl’s ears. Bam! Photo Finish toppled backwards, bullet gone straight through her heart. Vinyl opened her mouth in a silent scream. Photo Finish fell on top of Vinyl.

She watched the scene unfold out from under Photo Finish’s dead body, petrified by fear. Too many times the gun boomed. Too many times children fell to the ground. The only reason Vinyl was untouched is that is that Photo Finish’s body hid her from sight.

Even as the gunman ran out the door, she just lay there, listening to the music that her earbuds were still playing. Somehow, the music did not seem so great anymore. At one point, she tried to get Photo Finish’s corpse off of herself, but she could not move. Must be shock. Vinyl gave up on moving and just waited, unaware of the time ticking by...
And then the police arrived, and they made her shock leave. A pretty officer helped her up and asked her name. Vinyl flashed the mute wristband she always had to wear.

“You can call me Officer Centri. I am going to interview you on what has happened at this school. Ok?” Officer Centri asked her a couple questions and Vinyl wrote them down for her on a notepad.

“Thank you so much, Ms. Scratch. Let me know if there is anymore information you can give me.” Vinyl nodded. She stretched her mind trying to identify the gunman’s face. Still, Vinyl never got a good look at her. A tear slid down her cheek and her hand began to tremble. Vinyl wished she could be tough, but she just was not. She was just a stupid mute, relying on everybody else for help.

“Please do not cry. You have been a great help. And by the way, I really enjoy your beats, DJ Pon-3.” Vinyl smiled. Her voice was louder than anyone else’s. She could make wonderful music, she could make a difference too. DJ Pon-3 spoke. “Photo Finish’s camera. Photo Finish managed to get a shot of the gunman.” Officer Centri’s eyes widened and she hugged DJ Pon-3. “Thank you. That will be a great help.”

Vinyl Scratch was doing what she did best. Her music boomed all around the dance party. DJ Pon-3 was doing what she did best. Her sounds made the greatest difference.