• Published 9th Mar 2018
  • 8,611 Views, 185 Comments

Sunset's Second Round of Childhood - fmriver



The elements of Harmony are able to turn magical beings of unequal power to stone, exile opponents to the moon! Using one against a possessed teenager may have been overkill?

  • ...
14
 185
 8,611

A teacher's worry, A mother's relief

Princess Luna sighed. The princess of the night watched as her regal sister, usually as unflappable as the mountains, paced back and forth, jittery with worry.

Celestia's face kept going through a cycle, displaying her thoughts for all to see. She cycled through a frown of regret, anger, self-recrimination, then worry. Thankfully only her sister accompanied her at the moment, but they would need to go to the mirror room soon.

As the mistress of dreams, Luna could probably write word for word her sister's thoughts. Regret for how far her wayward student has fallen, anger at the actions she took, self-recrimination on how she failed one student and endangered the other, and worry for both. She was spending more of her time looking worried the closer the deadline for the portal approached.

Luna did not share as much of her sibling's worry. Luna was certain that Twilight understood that while the loss of the crown, and therefore the use of the Elements of Harmony, would be a setback, it would pale against the loss of its bearer. Even if one were to be purely pragmatic, the newest alicorn was a much more useful tool for Equestria. It was her ability to figure out solutions, research, befriend enemies, and create lasting bonds that mattered. She had already provided so many more solutions to threats against Equestria than an overpowered magical beam of friendship did. Without the crown they would lose a weapon, but without Twilight they would lose something more.

"Tia, calm yourself. Twilight will come back, have faith. She has never failed us, and I do not foresee this occasion ending any differently," Luna gently crooned to her sister.

"Oh Luna, I try to tell myself that. I can't help it. This time she isn't fighting an old enemy though, this time she's going against somepony quite dear to my heart. The thought of either of them being hurt fills me with sorrow, yet there is no other choice." Celestia's eyes filled with tears. "I trust my faithful student, but for Twilight to succeed, my Sunset must be stricken down, harmed in some manner. I must now hope one of my students bests the other, and my heart weeps, Luna. My-my-" Celestia let out a small sob, covering her face with a foreleg.

Luna approached her sister and used her wing to hug the larger alicorn. "There, there Sister. You know Twilight would not deal any blow harder than necessary, nor does she believe in smiting her enemies like in the olden days. Perhaps it will all turn out for the better, eh? Look at me, aren't I proof enough that one may fall much farther than simple theft, and yet return to you?"

Princess Celestia looked at her younger sibling, tears in her eyes looking heartbroken. "The selfish part of me just asks, why? She had a chance to come home, why couldn't she just come h-home?"

They stayed like that for a long time, one sister giving comfort to the other.


The mirror was being attended to by the Princess of Love, the remaining element bearers, and a few guards, by the time the ancient alicorns joined them.

Rainbow Dash walked back and forth in front of the portal, while Rarity and Pinkie Pie both laid down looking despondent. Applejack and Princess Cadance were quietly speaking to each other, while Fluttershy seemed to be trying out some breathing exercises to calm herself. The decision not to let the other bearers follow Twilight into the mirror weighed heavily on each of them. There was less than an hour left for the portal to remain open.

Suddenly, the mirror began to ripple and emit a glow, before the lavender alicorn stepped through, oddly enough on her two back legs for some reason. Her friends all crowded to her.

"You're back!"

"You've got your crown!"

Rainbow Dash and Rarity exclaimed, speaking over one another.

"I knew you could do it!" Pinkie said, grinning while giving Twilight a big hug.

Applejack seemed to be wiping tears of relief from her eyes. "Oh, we were so worried".

For a moment, Twilight just enjoyed being surrounded by her friends, safe in the her sister-in-law's castle. However, she knew that she could only indulge for a moment. There was a lot to go over and precious little time to do so.

"Sunset Shimmer, is she alright?" Celestia asked, stepping forward. Twilight looked at her mentor, who looked at that moment like nothing more than a worried parent. The emotion in that question, and the fact that it was the first thing she asked, made it clear that Twilight had underestimated the closeness shared between the princess and her previous student. This was good in a way, given the current issue, though the next few moments would be difficult and awkward.

"She's um... fine? Heehee... um, actually, I don't have much time, since I left her in front of the mirror with Spike while I updated you on a couple things. She's been... affected by magic and seems to have reverted in age to foalhood, along with her memories. The last thing she remembers is being 7 years old..." Twilight finally looked away from her teacher’s watering eyes.

"She looks even younger, from what the natives on the other side told me, though that may be a function of the transformation magic on the mirror. Either way, right now she's effectively a child, and with the lack of magic on the other end it would be impossible for them to treat her if any complications arose from this transformation. We need to bring her back."

Twilight paused, waiting for her ruler's reaction. After a moment, seeing her seemingly struck numb, she turned towards the others in the room. "I wanted to make sure everyone will be able to keep their reactions to her down, okay?" She looked at everyone, getting a nod from each in turn.

Celestia seemed to be mute, her sister stepping up beside her and looking at Twilight. "We agree, please bring her back forthwith," Luna stated

"Alright, be right back!" Twilight jumped back into the portal. Less than a minute went by before it lit up once again, spitting out Twilight, Spike, and finally a little foal, looking barely old enough to have a cutie mark, walking all wobbly on her legs.

"Wow, th-that was a doozy of a trip. At least I look normal again! Miss Twilight, are we-" Sunset stopped as she looked up from studying her hooves, realizing the room in front of her was filled with strangers just staring at her. Though she only had a second to take it in, as she was suddenly yanked up in the air and engulfed in a sea of white feathers. "Blegh! I got a feather in my mouth! Princess, glad to see you too but you're squishing meeee!" she whined as Celestia nuzzled her, hugging her to her chest.

"Oh my darling little Sunset, y-you ha-had me so very worried!" A hitch in her throat made Celestia stumble on her words. Sunset blushed as looked at her face, finally recognizing the tear tracks marking her mentor’s fur, with wide eyes. Suddenly she was hugging her back as hard as she could. For some reason seeing her so distraught frightened the filly.

The rest of the ponies in the room looked on at the heartwarming scene, giving them a moment. "Sister, perhaps we can take the young filly to our rooms for a bit and allow Twilight some time with her friends?" Luna piped up once it seemed her sister and the filly had calmed down a bit.

Said filly looked up with a scrunched up face, "Sister? ... ohmygoshyou'reanalicornandtwilightisanalicornandtheresapinkalicornwhat-?!?!" Her ramblings seemed to snap Celestia out of it, and she chuckled,

"My dear little sunbeam, I'll tell you all about it in our rooms, but Luna is right, let's take this away from here. Ladies, if you don't mind, I believe we will retire for the evening. It's a bit past this one's bedtime, anyway," Celestia chuckled.

"Hey!" Sunset piped up, frowning at her princess embarrassing her in front of so many adults.

Celestia ignored Sunset's glower as she shifted her onto her back between her wings, and began trotting off to her room, Luna following behind. Later she would worry about the effects, and go over everything that happened with Twilight, but right now she was floating from the relief bursting through her heart.

Her little Sunset was home.

Author's Note:

Updated 3/18/18 - spelling / grammar fixes.

Little Sunset is reunited with Celestia. At the moment they're both just feeling relief.