• Published 5th Mar 2018
  • 4,876 Views, 268 Comments

The Lost One - thedarktome



"I can do this! I can do that!" Applejack mocked. "What about what WE can do, Rainbow?!" The others all voiced their agreements. "I concur!" Rarity yelled, stomping her hoof in the dirt. "Why are you even around, Rainbow Dash?!"

  • ...
19
 268
 4,876

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27 - Admittance

Celestia landed outside the Golden Oak library by chariot with even more guards and Luna, who was sitting beside her. Once they rolled to a stop, the Princesses hopped out and quickly headed towards the door, leaving the guards to assist. Celestia pushed open the door and strode inside quickly. "Twilight," she called sternly, trying to get the frantic unicorn that was furiously writing a scroll to focus.

Twilight dropped her quill and looked up in surprise. "Celestia! I was just about to send you a letter!"

Celestia took a seat at the opposite end of the table with the other Elements, save for one, with Luna. "I need the Census of—"

"Don't bother," Twilight interrupted. Celestia gave her a confused stare while she continued. "I've checked the Census three times for those foals. None of them are in there."

Luna leaned in and asked, "How do you know the name of the foals?" The Elements blinked and slowly turned towards the chest by the door holding the Elements of Harmony. The Princesses followed their gaze and nearly had a heart attack. Rainbow Dash was sitting there watching them intensely with Scootaloo between her legs eating something. Buff was standing to the side doing something to his wings.

"Oh, uh...Hello, Rainbow Dash," Luna greeted nervously. "W-What brings you here?"

"Scootaloo was one of the foals from the community," she answered. Scootaloo started coughing for a moment before she continued devouring her apples. Rainbow looked down and said with a smile, "Eat slowly. I know you're hungry but that's no reason to choke."

Scootaloo buzzed her wings in acknowledgement while she continued eating. Rainbow ruffled her mane then put her glare back on towards the Princesses. "You have a total of twenty-six foals here alone. Even more all over Equestria."

"So you know what is happening?" Luna asked.

"Equestria has been taken over by the being, possibly a pony," she replied. "And are using an army of Therohs to possibly take control in the future. The Therohs have been eating mares and stallions alike through a trap setup in Whitetail. The pony then erases their existence through mind altering dark magic from the ponies that knew them . Then gets rid of their homes and anything else that belonged to them through a spell that I am calling 'Forget Me.' What has me worried is the fact that all records of these ponies and their families were erased from the Census. Which means there are more ponies like them seated in Government."

Celestia was taken back, evident by the look on her face. "What?" She asked in disbelief. "How?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes and motioned towards everyone at the table. "Because you voted for them?"

Twilight huffed then turned back to Celestia with a worried look. "What are we supposed to do? There are Therohs all over Equestria if what Rainbow's saying is true."

Celestia hummed before the door to the library was pushed open, letting in Shining Armor and Princess Cadance. The two were wearing expressions of determination on their faces as they walked in. Cadance closed the door behind them and then made her way urgently towards the table to speak with Celestia. "There are a lot of foals out there," she commented while taking a seat beside her. "And there's absolutely no record of them." Scootaloo dropped her Apple core on the floor and walked over to the door, leaving Rainbow Dash rolling her eyes. She picked it up in her magic and tossed it in a nearby trash bin, making a noise and catching Cadance's attention. She gasped while Rainbow stood up and stretched her wings. "Oh, when did you get here? By the way, never grab my head again with your magic, it was truly frightening."

Rainbow grinned and stretched her hooves. "Before any of you did, Princess," Rainbow answered before she reverted back to Pencil Sketch, speaking in a slightly lower tone. "Do not ask too many questions involving how a Theroh works. You will not like the answer. I must do more research...as well as watch over Scootaloo. Princess Celestia, I need to speak with you. Alone."

Celestia turned to the rest of the table before she stood up and followed Pencil outside with Scootaloo underneath her, and Buff by her side. In the Square, there were ten large tents set up with doctors, nurses, and guards providing food for the foals. One of them Pencil recognized as Twist. One of the foals that go to the Ponyville Schoolhouse, along with Toola Roola and Coconut Cream in one whole tent eating a pile of fruits and vegetables while getting a check up by a nurse. Pencil stopped and looked underneath herself at Scootaloo, who looked right back up at her. "Go and see about them, leader," she teased. Scootaloo rolled her eyes but did trot out from underneath her.

She walked right up to Zipporwhill, who was across from Toola Roola and Coconut Cream's tent, also eating something. "Zipporwhill!" The filly called dropped her food and looked up, gasping at the filly.

"Scootaloo! Hey, she's back!" The other foals quickly stopped what they were doing and looked up. Scootaloo stopped in front of Zipporwhill's tent and gave her a hug while ten more foals came over and sat down around her. "What happened?" Zipporwhill asked her.

"Well I got us some help," Scootaloo explained. "I visited a friend and told her everything that was happening, since she—" Pencil plugged her mouth with a hoof and shook her head at her. Then removed the hoof. "I meant, I uhh...told somepony."

"Scootaloo!" A filly with a thick mane and tail scolded. Why did she look so familiar to Rainbow? Her mane was so thick it looked like bubblegum. "You know what'll happen if somepony finds out! Now they're going to split us uuuuupppp!" She started crying loudly before the other foals started doing the same thing.

Pencil Sketch shared a strange look with Celestia, who sighed and nodded. "I'll try and see if it is possible for these fillies to stay together. Do you know how long they have been on their own?"

"According to Scootaloo, for at least seven to nine years," Pencil answered as they stared. "And everypony here has never questioned it. Including Ms. Cheerilee, who I'm absolutely positive teaches three-fourths of these foals. Now back to the subject at hoof. How exactly are you planning to stop this pony? Any plan?" They continued on walking, making their way through the camp before one of the foals trotted up to Pencil Sketch and poked her hoof. She was an orange unicorn with an red and dark orange mane.

"Not yet," Celestia responded while Pencil ruffled the filly's mane. "We are looking for the...magic that you speak of."

"You can't just find dark magic, Celestia." Pencil opened one of her wings and scooped the filly onto her back. She quickly settled down for a moment. "The magic is already in you. You just need to know how to use it to get your desired results. What is your name, filly on my back?"

"I'm Firelock!" She replied enthusiastically. "You're Pencil Sketch!"

"I am...more or less." Celestia sighed through her nose.

"Did you save us?" She asked suspiciously.

"More or less again. Your community leader did more of the saving. I was just around."

"Ooohhhh."

Celestia chuckled and commented, "You sure have a way with children."

Pencil sighed and bent low so Firelock could get off her back. Once she did, she quickly ran over to the other foals while the painter righted herself. "Children are my one weakness," she responded. "I've taken a liking to Scootaloo more so than Rainbow. Now. The stakes have gotten higher, Princess. I suggest you buckle down and start investigating."

"Not yet."

Pencil glanced towards her in amusement. "What do you mean, 'Not yet?' A bunch of monsters are running around eating ponies, we have to act now!" Celestia placed a hoof out and motioned for her to lower her voice. Pencil rolled her eyes and appeased her with, "Don't worry, nopony can hear me. I put up a spell during this conversation so nopony can hear us that aren't directly in my face. There is no telling who is the pony trying to overtake the Equestrian government. They could be here. Or there. Now we need to get started on this investigation." She stopped and turned to Celestia. "What exactly are you waiting for?" Celestia didn't give her a verbal answer. Instead she gave Pencil a smirk. Pencil narrowed her eyes, then looked around. Lighting her hooves, she shadow teleported the three of them towards the outside of Ponyville, by the Everfree Forest, away from prying ears and eyes. Pencil changed back to Rainbow Dash who was giving her an irate stare.

"How many times have I told you? I. Am not. Working with you!" Celestia sighed and rolled her eyes. "I'll give you information, but I am not going back to join the Elements of Harmony!"

Celestia sat down and said solemnly, "Rainbow? I know you're mad. I know you're upset. But that does not mean you have to abandon Equestria. Yes, the five of them have made a mistake that they deeply regret. Yes, it has hurt your feelings. But we're not doing this for them. We're doing this for Equestria. Not for five ponies." Rainbow Dash turned around to look over the town in the distance. Celestia stood up and walked over to take a seat down beside her, following her gaze. "What exactly are you afraid of Rainbow?"

"Celestia, I'm not afraid of anything," Rainbow clarified sternly. "I just don't need friends who will do what they did to me."

"You are scared that it may happen again," Celestia concluded.

"What?!" Rainbow yelled, looking over at Princess Celestia with anger. "I am not afraid of...that!"

Celestia stood up and looked down at Rainbow Dash. "Then why won't you help us save Equestria? Last I heard, you fight for dreams, inspiration, and the foals of Equestria to make it a better place! What is stopping you?!"

"Nothing!"

"Then why won't you?"

"Because I don't want to!!"

"Why?!"

Buff backed away into the shadows of the Everfree forest. Just in case things got a little out of hoof. Rainbow yelled and turned around to face her again. "BECAUSE I DON'T WANT MY HEART BROKEN AGAIN!!" Celestia stayed silent and backed down while Rainbow came to her realization. She too sighed and sat back down, holding her head downwards. "I don't want...I don't want any of it to happen again, okay? There, now you know. Each day of my life in Flight Camp I was pushed down. Limited to what I could really do because I was afraid somepony was going to tease me for it. Somepony would find out, tell everypony in the school, then it'd all become worse. I kept it down in there, but I let it fly free down here." She gestured towards the brightly lit town below, bustling with activity. "But I got too close, got too comfortable. My biggest mistake. Next thing you know, years later after meeting the other girls, it all blows up in my face. I'm not wanted, Rainbow Crash, all of it. Now I don't have to worry about it. I only have two friends. Scootaloo and....Buff."

"Buck yeah."

Rainbow huffed in amusement at her boyfriend's comment before getting all depressed again. "So I ran away. I ran away from everypony and let my dreams come true under a different name and persona that I created years ago to help protect me and give me advice."

"Rainbow," Celestia whispered sadly. "You also ran away from your problems." Rainbow sighed and rolled her eyes. Celestia calmly wrapped a wing around her. "I know you don't like to hear that. Or this. But it's always best to confront your issues head on than to let them haunt you forever. Yes, it may feel good to hurt a pony where it hurts after they've hurt you. But in most cases, it is never the right thing. This situation is a pure example of it. Yes, you're rich and you are a powerful pony. Both in magic and influence. But in the end...you are still a pony. With feelings, emotions, and pain. A lot of which come from your friends and fellow ponies. I'm not saying go out and start biting ponies on the ankle." Rainbow chuckled sadly. "But I am saying that it's best to start mending your relationship with them. You can never get where you want to go if you're always running from it. At least start slowly."

Rainbow sighed and brushed a little bit of her mane out from in front of her eye to gaze down at the town of Ponyville. "I know you miss this place Rainbow Dash," Celestia added. "You always come when you think nopony is watching to relax on the clouds and see what happens down below. Yes, I've seen you multiple times."

Rainbow rolled her eyes and deadpanned, "Of course you have."

"And I know you miss your parents as well."

"....to be honest...yeah," Rainbow responded sincerely for the first time throughout this conversation. Buff stood up from his position and walked over. He took a seat on the other side of Rainbow Dash, catching her eye.

"I think...you should give it a chance," he thought out loud. "At least once. Invite them to the house and experiment with it."

"I agree with your bodyguard," Celestia agreed before she leaned in and whispered. "Now are you two a thing, or...."

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "If you promise not to tell....yes, we are. I am keeping this secret, though. The press are helping me out unknowingly."

"I give you a promise not to tell anypony. Now are you willing to help us stop this threat, Rainbow Dash? Or should I call you...Pencil Sketch?" Rainbow shot a look to Celestia, who was smirking mischievously at her. Rainbow pulled in her lips but ended up giggling, making Buff do a double take.

"....I agree to experiment with this," Rainbow sighed. "And in public call me Pencil. But in private...call me Rainbow Dash." Rainbow turned back to Pencil before she shadow teleported them back to an area behind the library. They walked around the front and entered into the door. The Elements were still sitting there talking about something with the Princesses before they noticed them.

They stopped talking while Pencil walked in and was immediately confronted by Scootaloo. She bounced up to her from out of the kitchen and hid underneath her. "So Zipporwhill told me that nopony else has been able to get any good food around the community," she explained. "Everypony was going hungry! I should've been here to help!"

Pencil reverted back to Rainbow Dash and sat down on her flanks. Then smiled and ruffled Scootaloo's mane. "I think you have done enough already. You're staying with me for a few days, okay? Until we get some things straightened out,"

Scootaloo gasped and turned around, shaking her tail in happiness. "Really?!" She yelled. "I get to stay at your mansion?!"

Rainbow nodded and added, "I have an extra bedroom....bedrooms, actually. And a few more rooms which will become offices in the future. I just need to have some things moved around." Scootaloo reached up and hugged Rainbow around the neck, sniffing happily. Rainbow smiled and hugged her back, making Cadance's heart throb.

Celestia cleared her throat, catching everyone's attention. "I just spoke with Rainbow Dash on a few things. One of them, her feelings about all that has happened. She is upset and very mad at you, but...she has agreed to help us in this mystery of who is using dark magic to take over Equestria."

Twilight widened her eyes and looked over at Rainbow with the rest of the table. Rainbow sighed and held up a hoof. "Let me clarify. I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing this for Equestria. There's a difference. Don't get too comfy."

"Rainbow what did we talk about?"

"Celestia, this is already burning my tongue, I'd rather not catch on fire. I want you all to meet me tomorrow morning at my mansion five AM sharp. Get up early, the paparazzi and tourists don't arrive at that time. Applejack I already know will be up. Rarity, you might want to get your 'beauty sleep' while you can. Buff?" he nodded to her. "You're staying overnight. Because I know you want to." He bit his lip and smiled before Pencil bopped him on the nose. "Cadance, Shining Armor? Stay home and keep a look out for any suspicious looking foals carrying food, blankets, and other survival items. If you find any, track one back to their hiding location and inform me immediately through a letter by the flame that will be sitting on your desk when you return to the castle this evening. Same for Celestia and Luna. Celestia, I want a name of the pony that handles the Census in Equestria. From here on out, if you want to find these Therohs and get back Equestria, you listen to me and answer to me. Understand?"

They were all staring at her in disbelief. Since when did Rainbow Dash take control like that? "Y.....Y-Yeah," Twilight stuttered. "Spike? Set my alarm clock for three in the morning." Spike groaned, already dreading that wake up call while he made his way upstairs. Meantime Rainbow stood up and made her way over to the cases that held the Elements of Harmony. She popped open the glass cover and levitated the jar out with her magic, rotating it slowly in front of her.

The others watched her with rapt attention as she popped open the cap. The dust floated out and spun in a bright red circle. It flashed for a moment before the full Element of Loyalty hovered in front of her face. The light in it flashed for a moment in a strange pattern, making Rainbow roll her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, laugh it up will ya?'" she turned back to Twilight's confused face while the gem floated back into the casing to lock itself into the chestplate. "Don't ask, she's really annoying. Bring all of the Elements tomorrow. Just in case. I may need to study it for something. My train will be at the station by four. Don't keep me waiting."

Rainbow picked up Scootaloo in her magic and deposited her on her back. Then turned to Celestia. "I hope this wasn't a mistake, Princess. I'm taking a two month 'planning period' because of this."

Applejack bounced out her chair and asked, "You think you'll have this figured out in two months?"

Rainbow shrugged and answered, "Maybe less, depends on how serious it is."

"What's more serious than somepony trying to take over Equestria?" Cadance asked.

"The pony who's trying to take over Equestria. You may be able to stop their plot, but will you be able to stop the pony?" Rainbow reverted back to Pencil Sketch and added, "Villains tend to always slip in their plans. But in the end, they learn from their mistake. So we have to kill two birds with one stone at the exact same time. Sorry, Fluttershy." Cadance turned to Fluttershy, who was looking at Pencil with a look of horror. Buff walked towards the door and opened it up before she warned, "Be careful ponies. Tell no creature of this meeting. Or of our plans. As of this moment, everything is kept between us. This thing we're fighting is dangerous enough to kill ponies with a wave of their hoof, claw, talon or anything else they may be using. And I have a feeling you are no exception. Let's go, kids."

Buff scoffed at her while she walked out the door. Then followed after her. The door was closed quietly, leaving everyone in there alone for a moment. Twilight blinked and turned back towards the casing holding the Elements of Harmony. The Element of Loyalty was pieced back together again. Sitting in its chestplate like it had never gone anywhere.

"I'm still trying to figure out how she does that," Rarity commented. She, as well as all the other ponies were looking at the chest plates with wonder.

"I'll get a headache just trying to figure it out," Twilight responded before she turned around and headed up the stairs, yawning. "I'm going to get some rest before the meeting. You guys are welcome to anything in the fridge."

Celestia sighed and turned to the others. Rarity was the first one who started to explain. "She's been worrying herself awake at night to the point of her sleeping at the library desk at noon everyday. She just started drinking coffee."

Celestia glanced towards the stairs in worry. "Hopefully, this'll take her mind off of things." Luna nodded in agreement.

***

After arriving back inside the mansion, Buff yawned and flexed his wings, trying to show off. Pencil stopped walking anf smirked at him while he tried to flex his muscles, acting like his hoof was hurting. "Phew, man. That flight hurt my hoof a little."

"Mmmhmm," Rainbow hummed. Scootaloo chuckled and shook her head. Pencil took her off her back and placed her on the marble floor before she started to stretch herself. Buff watched her move for a moment, biting his lip in longing before Pencil flexed her wings, flicking his muzzle. She looked over her shoulder and winked at him. "Sorry. But you're not ready yet, Buffy. Wait a few more months and we'll see."

"Awww!" Buff groaned before he followed her up the stairs to the bedrooms. After Rainbow showed him his room, because she still wasn't ready to become too intimate, she took Scootaloo to her own personal chambers.

"It can't be seven already!" Scootaloo complained. Rainbow chuckled and sat her on the bed. "Come on, Rainbow! Can I please stay up?"

Rainbow walked over to the wall where a bunch of light switches were on a panel, labeled accordingly to the room and started flicking them with her wings, turning them all off., including Buff's. "Sorry, Scoots. But all little fillies need their bedtime." Rainbow turned around and walked back towards the dark bed, lit only by the setting sun in the distance. She climbed on and circled her body around Scootaloo, draping a wing over her. Then leaned in and nuzzled Scootaloo's cheek. "No more cold nights," she whispered. "For you or your friends. Okay?"

"Okay," she whispered back. She laid down then closed her eyes. "Thank you, Rainbow."

"No problem, squirt."

They stayed quiet for a moment. No sound breaking the peaceful environment before Scootaloo whispered, "Rainbow?"

"Mmmm....yeah, Scoots?"

"You.....you'd make a great mom someday." Rainbow's eyes fluttered open. Then glanced towards Scootaloo who still had her eyes closed, pressed against her side underneath her cyan wing smiling peacefully.

"Yeah," she responded. Then closed her eyes back and laid her head back down, smiling contently. "...someday."

Author's Note:

I think I did good in that chapter. What do you think about it? Mystery Scootaloo tomorrow! Be ready!!

PreviousChapters Next