• Published 2nd Mar 2018
  • 20,754 Views, 2,027 Comments

Night Wing - Gravity012



A human In equestria story. Except the human isn’t a horse......he’s a bird.

  • ...
56
 2,027
 20,754

Griffin Hunting

The leaves crunched under our talons and claws as we walked through the thick forest. Midnight and I were in front, with three guards following behind us. The large Tasseler was feasting on a corpse just ahead of us. It looked like a large green wolf, but it’s head had four eyes instead of two. The two extra eyes were on its forehead, and instead of one tongue it had three long tentacle like appendages in its mouth. I believe it was the same type of creature we encountered the first time we came to the griffin lands.

CRACK! One of the guards stepped on a twig behind us. The beast’s four ears turned to us. “RAAAAAAAAH!” It shrieked as it's tongues shot out. I rolled right as a tendril shot by my head and wrapped around a guard. Midnight rolled left and pulled out a sword.

“HAH!” He yelled as he swung the sword in an arc, cutting off the tendril that was wrapped around the other griffon.

“REEEEEEEE!!” The Tasseler squealed as his tongue was severed. He lunged forward and tried to bite me, but i spun to the side and extended my wing blades into it's side. “REEEEEEee.” The tasseler gave one last squeal before falling silent. Midnight approached me beside the beast as the guards spread around the clearing.

“Haha! That was a wonderful hunt my friend!” He examined the cut I made across the Tasseler’s side. “I see you are well practiced with your blades. Better than some of my captains.” He turned and gave me a small smile. “I admire how well you suit the role of captain of the guard, even with your little experience.”

‘Thank you, and I admire how well you lead your kingdom. I have seen far worse leaders.’ I wrote for him to see. I didn’t fully trust him yet. But I could still be friendly. At least until I figured out what he was up to. Then I would crush him.

Midnight’s expression suddenly turned sad. “Unfortunately, I need to ask for you assistance with something. I hope you do not mind.” Oh boy. What does he need? He turned away from while he thought about what to say. “You see.” He started, staring at the dead animal beside us. “I....How do you think I should ask Luna to marry me?!” He blurted our in defeat. Luckily for me, no one was looking my way, as I barely managed to stop my talons an inch from his throat. I forced on a way too big smile as I slammed my talon back onto the ground. The temperature in the clearing dropped a few degrees, and frost formed around my claws.

‘I...am not sure how to answer that.’ I wrote on my wing. If writing could be written in a forced fashion, like talking through grit teeth, then that’s what my writing looked like at that moment. ‘Unfortunately I cannot help you with that matter. Perhaps you should just....’ I slapped myself repeatedly in my head for even participating in this conversation. ‘Be yourself?’

“Yes, perhaps.” He looked me in the eyes. “Thank you Night. I truly hope you can except me as family.” He turned and motioned for his guards to pack up the meat from our expedition.

‘Well, unfortunately, it seems I must be leaving.’ I stepped back and prepared to open a portal. ‘I do hope you understand. I enjoyed this adventure.’

“As did I Night. Besides, Luna and I have been sending letters to each other for nearly eight months. Her birthday is approaching, I plan to ask her then. I will see you on that day Night! May you have a peaceful return!” Midnight smiled at me. I smiled back as I opened a portal behind me and stepped through. As soon as it closed I dropped the smile and the entire forest clearing froze.

I hate being this unsure about something. Part of me wants to believe he is a good person. The other part doesn’t. Some nearby trees shattered as I thought it through. Finally, I sighed. There is no easy answer to this. I’ll just have to wait and see what happens. With that in mind, I took off and flew toward the castle.


One Week Later

Silver and I watched as ponies walked through the decorated streets of the Everfree. Everyone knew about Luna’s party. The ponies would use any excuse to celebrate something for the princesses. Even things they didn’t normally celebrate, such as birthdays. It was amusing in a way, what they would do for the princesses. And, in the middle of all this, was the platoon of griffins marching through the streets. Rumors were already circulating about why they were here. Most were far from the truth, but a few were close. Only I knew the real reason why, or what I hoped was the real reason. And I suspected Luna hoped they were here for what she thought they were here for.

“I don’t know Sir. I feel like something is going to happen. Something bad.” Silver said as she sat on the roof beside me. I didn’t want to admit it, but I felt the same way. Something is going to happen. I don’t know when, but it’s going to be bad.

‘It’s probably nothing.’ Silver glanced at my wing.

“Yeah.” She replies. “You’re most likely right.” Neither of us believed it, and we both knew the other was lying.

‘Come on, let’s go greet them at the castle door.’ I took off with Silver following me. We uneasily made our way to the door at the end of the main road. We both just hoped things wouldn’t get to bad.

Below us was Midnight, oblivious to the feelings of worry. He happily waved to ponies and smiled as he reach the front door. Here we go. I thought to myself as I pushed open the doors.


Third Person

Below the city, a large crystal tree pulsed in the dark. It went unnoticed by all as it prepared for the danger it sensed coming.

Author's Note:

WOOHOO IM BACK BABY!!! I was so happy to get this chapter out. How was it? Big stuff is coming.