• Published 1st Mar 2018
  • 1,753 Views, 28 Comments

A Friendship Report to Princess Luna - Bronyxy



Twilight has to write her weekly friendship report to her mentor, Princess Luna. Daybreaker had recently returned after a thousand years’ incarceration in the sun and been defeated by Twilight, revealing the formerly wayward Princess Celestia.

  • ...
2
 28
 1,753

1 A Friendship Report to Princess Luna

Twilight sat in the familiar surroundings of the Golden Oak Library, quill suspended in her magic, poised ready to compose her weekly friendship report.

She couldn’t think what to write.

Sure, a lot had happened, but how to distil something meaningful for the Princess?

Her mind wandered as she thought back to the day she had first been accepted into Princess Luna’s School for Gifted Unicorns and her mentor’s direction to go to Ponyville. She had no idea then how quickly her magic and her courage would be put to the test in a showdown with Daybreaker. Also, she had witnessed first hoof the mercy that Luna had showed in accepting back the penitent Princess Celestia following her escape from banishment to the sun.

The prospect of Daybreaker's vengeance fueled plan to introduce an eternal scorching day with a drought turning Equestria into a dust bowl had been almost too frightening to consider. She could imagine vividly the panic as all ponies, no matter how rich and powerful, would have been left fighting over the last few precious drops of water. She still shuddered at the thought, and of the petty sibling rivalry that had caused it.

Siblings; she still had trouble reconciling that Luna and Celestia were sisters.

She was grateful that Princess Luna had always been there; the calm and steadying figurehead in times of crisis to steer the ponies through whatever problem faced Equestria. It was incomprehensible to even contemplate what could have happened had the sisters’ roles been reversed; presumably eternal night? Yet, it was impossible to consider such rash and reckless behaviour from Luna, Equestria’s most benevolent leader and her beloved personal mentor.

But if it had happened, if, then a night time version of Daybreaker could have terrorised the ponies as their crops died without sun and the ponies would have faced starvation in the relentless cold. The end would have been just as assured, just different in its torment. But that would never have happened; not with Luna.

It was funny thinking of Princess Celestia as her sister; the smaller white alicorn still talking, or more often shouting, as had presumably been the accepted form a thousand years ago. There was no doubt that it would be some time before she would be able to acclimatise and Luna could even consider letting her take charge of the sun again.

Twilight, the young unicorn who had faced down Daybreaker alone, felt sorry for her. Having been away from the contact of ponykind for so long, she hoped Princess Celestia would fit in quickly given how far society must have moved on since the days of Star Swirl the Bearded.

Although Twilight relived her confrontation with Daybreaker in nightmares from time to time, she wished the new Princess well in her new life and even looked forward to cultivating a relationship with her; one in which she wouldn’t have to constantly worry about whether the wayward Princess would make a grab for power once again.

Sure, she shouted a lot, but that didn’t mean she was angry, probably just that she was trying hard to adjust, and that was something that could best be done with friends. She paused in her thoughts, the feather end of her quill tickling her lip as she stared into the distance, and then began to write with a flurry of enthusiasm.


Dear Princess Luna,

My friendship report this week concerns your sister, Princess Celestia. Night and day are complementary, too much of either extreme can be a bad thing, and that’s why we need friends to help out when somepony starts to tilt things out of balance. I know the whole Daybreaker thing was pretty scary, but that’s not her any more; all she needs is a friend and there are seven of them right here.

Your faithful student,

Twilight Sparkle

“Spike!” she called in her sing-song voice “Send a letter to Princess Luna please.”

“Sure thing, Twi” said the baby dragon, tearing himself away from dusting the bookshelves to look up at her with green reptilian eyes. He trotted happily over and picked up the scroll in his claw, took a deep breath and tilted his head back, exhaling a gout of green flame that made the message disappear from his grip.

Princess Luna sat on her throne as a trail of smoke twisted a serpentine route through the air towards her. She knew what that meant and her heart lifted as a green swirl started to form in front of her followed by a flash and suddenly the scroll appeared and unfurled.

She read Twilight’s report and smiled. Somewhere in the distance, echoing through the passageways of the castle, her sister was shouting something at somepony, or life in general. Yes, there would be need for adjustment, but it was good to have her back and with the support of Twilight and her friends, she allowed herself to feel positive. Perhaps she would be able to hand back control of the sun and go back to devoting her energies to the night, her beloved night, rather than try to untangle all the wearisome political distractions of the daytime that she had been forced to manage for so long now?

Already Celestia was showing signs of returning to her former self; her mane and tail were starting to show the familiar traces of green and purple rather than the pure pink she had when Twilight had released her from the curse of Daybreaker. Also, although she was the older sibling, Celestia was noticeably the smaller of the two, possibly indicating that she still lacked all the magic she had before she had been banished.

Luna was grateful for the support of her young protégé and could tell that she was not at her peak yet. Twilight had already shown more promise at her School for Gifted Unicorns than any other student in centuries and she had plans to put her to the test with an unfinished spell from Star Swirl the Bearded, but that would have to wait until she knew that her sister could be allowed to resume her duties in an unfamiliar world once more.

Equestria was poised on the cusp of a new era, no longer one of singular monarchy that had been in place for a thousand years, but a new one led by her and her sister together in harmony once more, and maybe even with room for her faithful student too if everything went as she hoped. Princess Twilight Sparkle did have a nice ring to it, a title she could grow into if she fulfilled her destiny.

Comments ( 28 )

8766343
Glad you like it!
:twilightsmile:

i would like more to the world like how was other species evolved with lunas leadership

8766453
Good call. There is a lot of scope to follow that idea further, and I think I probably will.
Thanks for your support!
:twilightsmile:

Swefn #6 · Mar 1st, 2018 · · 1 ·

This looks very similar to the "Lunaverse" series. I'd give it a look, it's really good.

8766530
Thanks for the comment. I have so far only taken my inspiration from the series and a few landmark stories such as "On a Cross and Arrow" and "Past Sins" (that's where my user name comes from: Brony + Nyx)!
A quick look at the Lunaverse New Readers page suggests I have a lot more reading to do - thanks for the recommendation!
:ajsmug::yay::pinkiehappy::raritywink::twilightsmile::rainbowlaugh:

You have pleased me. also smol tia needs to be a thing now.

8766578
Glad it meets with your approval!
You're right, there is a lot of scope to develop alternate Tia further.
Thanks for your support!
:twilightsmile:

Nice little fic. It's funny to imagine little Celly. :twilightsmile:

8766642
I agree; it does seem strange, but I had to go there as part of the whole role reversal scenario. It does conjure up an interesting image!
:twilightsmile:

Okay. Couple things here. I get the role reversal of Luna and Celestia, but did you switch their ages too? Because I think it would be 100% more awesome if they kept their cannon ages here (Celestia the eldest and Luna the youngest.)

Adds more to what happened 1000 years ago I think.

8766930
I agree entirely; even in an AU it's important to respect canon. I'm sorry if it appears I tried to change it.
Towards the end of the story I write:

although she was the older sibling, Celestia was noticeably the smaller of the two,

What I was trying to show here was that whilst Celestia was the older sister, she was physically smaller because she hadn't regained all of her magic. This is in line with the opinion that the canon Princess Luna is smaller than her sister because she lost some of her powers as NMM.
Apologies if my choice of words caused any confusion - I hope this didn't spoil your enjoyment.

This was pretty good. Have a thumbs up.

8767769
I'm pleased you like it.
Thanks for your support!

8767462
Naw. I admit that I missed that part. My bad. So now I feel silly for that mini rant.

8767868
No worries. When I speed read I sometimes miss off the word "NOT", and that can make a really big difference!
You're always welcome to come back and read some more of my writing.
Thanks for your support!
:twilightsmile:

The exiled Daybreaker had recently returned after a thousand years’ incarceration in the sun and been defeated by Twilight, revealing the formerly wayward Princess Celestia who is having trouble trying to adjust to contemporary Equestrian society.

Please tell me you have written/are going to write that story.

Just stumbled across this story a bit randomly and gave it a quick read, so here are my thoughts!

The idea of Luna and Celestia switching places is always an interesting idea, even if it has been done before. However, this story doesn't really evolve beyond "Wouldn't it be strange if Celestia had been the one to turn evil instead of Luna?" It reverses the roles, but that's about it. It might have been a lot more interesting to see Celestia struggling to reintegrate into society. For instance, we could have seen her realization that she was now shorter than Luna after not growing at all during her banishment. Or she could have come back expecting to be lavishly praised and glorified like she was in days of yore only to realize that she's been mostly forgotten or out outright feared.

As it stands, this feels a bit bare-bones. Not poorly-written, just rudimentary.

Good luck with future tales! :twilightsmile:

8877751
Thank you for taking the time to feed back your views.

I went through a one month period early February to early March where I was recovering at home following a short stay in hospital and had a number of ideas, but had trouble in joining them together.

Initially I was frustrated that I couldn’t focus sufficiently to develop them into the longer pieces I have come to write, but liked the individual ideas and so enjoyed turning each of them into a 1,000 word short.

It was a lot of fun working in this very short story format and was therapeutic for me as I recovered, but more than anything I hope that they bring some happiness to those who read them.

Thank you for your good wishes!

8878574
You're very welcome! And I certainly understand the therapeutic value of writing. Few things are more satisfying than the creative process, after all.

Now THIS is a story I'd like to see expanded! I've always felt that Luna deserves a bit more screentime than she's given in the show, she's just so awesome! :rainbowkiss: Having Luna as Twilight's mentor instead of Celestia is an amazing idea!

8982784
Thank you for your kind words!
As you suggest, I wanted to explore the alternate universe in which the roles of the two Royal Sisters had been switched and found it interesting to do it through the eyes of her faithful student. I didn't know what I was going to find, but I'm really glad I did it!
You are absolutely right - Luna gets nowhere near enough screentime, especially given that she has such an interesting backstory. Also she is my personal favorite, so I'm a bit biased!

8983655
Does this mean you're going to expand on this idea? That would be so AWESOME if you did!

8983815
It's a very tempting thought. I LOVE to put Luna centre stage, but writing a good sequel is more challenging than writing a stand-alone story because expectations are raised.
I really like the sound of it, but I'm not going to make any promises yet.
I hope that if and when I do write a sequel, that it lives up to your expectations.
Thank you for your kind and motivational comments!

9344673
Thank you - so pleased you enjoyed it!
:twilightsmile:

Interesting alternate universe.

I really enjoyed this alternate universe story. :heart:

Login or register to comment