• Published 20th Mar 2018
  • 3,369 Views, 147 Comments

Destiny- Shimmering Sun - FrostTheWolf



One day, Sunset Shimmer wakes up in the middle of nowhere only to have a ghost tell her that she's been dead for quite some time. This isn't going to go down well. [Destiny/EQG Crossover]

  • ...
11
 147
 3,369

14- The Garden's Spire

Author's Note:

To simplify things further, this chapter covers two of the first main story missions that are covered on Mars, while also providing more context and lore to the setting, the new enemies that Sunset and her fireteam have to face and have Sunset step forth into the breach. Hope you like it.
-Frost

After returning from our meeting with the Queen of the Awoken, Ray inputted the coordinates to our next destination into the navigation console on board my ship as my fireteam and I began to make our way out of the Reef. We didn’t have any matters that we needed to take care of while we were in the tower, so we decided that it would be best to head straight towards the destination that Stratus provided for us. Though, personally, I did not know much about where exactly we were going. Don’t get me wrong, I know what Mars is along with some of the other planets, but that was all before Humanity here met the traveler.

So the trip over seemed like the best time for me to know what exactly happened in the time I was gone. “Hey guys… this might sound like a bit of a weird question to ask, but I wanted to know about where we’re headed. Do you guys happen to know anything about this Meridian Bay?” I asked. Not just to my ghost, but through the communication relay in my ship so the question could be heard by the rest of my fireteam.

Well, that depends,” Winona was the first one to speak up. “Do you mean around the time of the Golden Age or afterwards?

“Wait, I thought ghosts didn’t come until after the golden age.” I then countered, surprised from her statement. “How-?”

Archives from the Vanguard,” Alright, now that part makes sense. “As for your question, the oldest records in the Archives say that Mars was the first planet to have been terraformed by the traveler before it settled over earth right now. In fact, one of the biggest human settlements during the golden age outside of Earth was the city of Freehold.

Which at the time was seen as the most impressive city and was also the home to Clover Belle,” We both heard Indigo interject. “Of course, ever since the collapse happened, the former grand metropolis is now referred to as ‘The Lost Gem of Mars’ since the dunes on the planet’s surface have almost buried everything.

That definitely was a lot to take in, but there was one piece in that conversation that I was puzzled by. And I decided to ask for more clarification. “Clover Belle? Was that a person who lived during the golden age.”

You can say that, but that’s just only one piece of it,” I now heard Ray speak up and take his turn in the conversation. “Clover Belle was a corporation that was founded by Clover Belle the first during the time of the golden age. He and his company were responsible for a vast number of cutting edge scientific and technological breakthroughs during the time, which was how he got himself the nickname ‘Clover the Clever’.

That… I did not anticipate at all. The last time I remember hearing that name, it was back when I read about the Seven Trials of Clover the Clever back in Equestria. I just did not anticipate that someone who is seen as a legend back in Equestria would be seen here as an innovative genius… but then again, that’s just me.

I continued to listen to them speak for a little while longer, but as Big Mac was gonna ask something, that’s when the three of us felt our ships vastly approaching the red planet. But something… didn’t feel right. Or at least, that’s what Indigo’s ghost was trying to say as I heard it speak in sparks and noises.

Guys… We might have a bit of a problem,” I heard the Bladedancer now speak up. “We got a read on the gate for the Black Garden, but we’re getting interference. He says that something called ‘The Cabal’ have got a lock on our orbital communication and we breached some kind of ‘Exclusion Zone’.

I now looked to Ray for a moment before looking back at the console. Thinking of a response to ask. “Meaning?”

Meaning that if we don’t find a place to land within the next thirty seconds, they’ll lock on to us with their weapons and begin to open fire,” Indigo’s clarification did not settle well with any of us. It’s one thing to know that we were coming, but it’s another thing to try and shoot us out of orbit before we could even get the chance to land. “Sparky’s got an alternate place for us to land at that’s out of this zone, but there’s a downside.

What kind of downside specifically?

It puts us miles away from the gate. Meaning that if we plan to reach the Black Garden, we would have to go through the Cabal. And I know that the longer we wait, the worse things get,” The hunter specifically told the titan as I heard her let out a small sigh. “Shimmy, what’s the plan here?

“I don’t really think we have any other options right now,” I told her, “Have Sparky take us down. I would take having to go a few miles on a Sparrow instead of having our ship getting blown out of orbit.”

You heard her, Sparky. Take us down!


If landing along the edge of the martian wastes called ‘The Barrens’ was one thing, then that would’ve been fine. However, as soon as we touched the ground, things didn’t exactly begin to improve. Because of the Exclusion Zone, we were cut off from our communication networks with the Vanguard back at the tower and we had no links for our sparrows yet. And the only remedy to try and fix this predicament was to break into one of the bunkers that the Cabal had stationed not that far from here.

Not to mention that the information that Ray briefed us on regarding the Cabal was not quite exactly encouraging. “Here’s what I have on the Cabal. They’re a highly militarized species; unlike that of the Fallen, Hive or Vex, and they seem to exhibit a fondness for conquering and military might.

“So what? They’re just tryin’ to be in control of other planets?” Big Mac asked as we began to make our way down the slope and along the hillside of rock and sand that was on our right.

Well, there hasn’t seem to be any records indicating why they came to the Solar System, but it says here that some of their weapons have enough firepower to blow up entire planets and moons. Just for getting in their way,” That made all of us go quiet, just as the realization kicked in that the weapons that were originally locked onto us might’ve been the same ones that Ray was describing. “Just so… well… we know what we’re dealing with.

Dully noted.

Fortunately, it was only a few seconds later that they began to pick up something. One of the bunkers that the Cabal have stationed up within the side of the hill here. The main passage was blocked, but there was a second door with an electronic that Big Mac had Winona disable. Surprisingly enough, doing so didn’t set off any kind of security systems, but we had to stay on guard nonetheless.

Once inside, we found that this entire facility was completely empty. Which, in my mind, meant a couple of things. It was possible that this site was abandoned or they left it like this, but they planned on returning it. The second one of the two seemed more likely because if they did abandon it, a militaristic species like them would not have left their equipment lying around and still functioning.

“Hang on just a second,” I turned my head towards Mac, who looked to be standing by some kind of terminal that happened to be on. “I’ll see what I can find.”

“Mac, what is Winona doing?” Indigo asked as the Titan turned back around.

“She thinks that she can be able to re-link our sparrows so we can transmat them here,” The Titan explained. “I told her to be cautious and to not try and mess things up like she did with the Vex at Campus 9, but Winona also thinks that if she can poke around in their systems, than she can find out more about the Cabal and what are they doing here.”

Well, as long as we don’t draw unnecessary attention to ourselves, then that would be fine by me. Though, Indigo thought that Winona was just going a little too far and that the whole thing would be a repeat of Campus 9. “Look… if Winona really things that she can do this, that’s fine. I just got one piece of advice.”

“And that is?” He then asked.

“Don’t screw up.”

That just had Mac let out a deep breath as he looked back at her. Trying to think of a proper response in order to assure the hunter that everything was going to be fine. However, that’s when Winona said something that began to contradict with what he was saying to us. “Access key? The heck’s that? I don’t need no stupid access key!

Oh no… please no! Don’t tell me-.

Before any of us could say anything, red lights began to go off all around us and the sounds of alarms began ringing everywhere as the huge metal doors that were behind the terminal began to open. “Did you screw up!?”

I think I might’ve screwed up, yes,” Winona then admitted as some kind of dropship was offloading what looked to be a detachment of Cabal soldiers outside. “If you can hold them off, I’ll find a way to disable the alarm!

Oh no, you’re not doing that alone,” I heard Ray now speak. “If anything, you’re going to need some extra help. Sunset, I’m going to try and help Winona out so we can get out of here quicker. Cover us in the meantime!

He didn’t need to tell us twice, because the three of us were already in the process of trying to buy them time. The cabal that were dropped off and now shooting at us were seen as two different types. The first being legionaries, who were just shooting at us with standard weapons; while the second one came up as Phalanxes, who had the same weapons, but were carrying what I could assume was oversized shields in order to block any shots we fired at them.

It took a bit for us to try to think of a workaround, but we soon came up with a plan to take them down. Mac and I would focus our fire on the legionaries, while also catching the attention of the Phalanxes and having them focus on us. All the while, Indigo would attack from behind, where they were exposed. And if they did turn around to try and attack her, then Mac and I can be able to gun them down before they can do so. It was a plan that would have to do, considering that we had to come up with it on the spot.

Luckily, after two different detachments of Cabal attempted to take us down, we finally heard the alarms around us being silenced and my helmet gave me the notification that my sparrow was re-linked. “Alright, we shut off the alarm and now you can access your sparrows,” Winona let out a sigh of relief. “Sorry… again.

“It’s fine, just… tread lightly next time you see something unfamiliar.” Mac advised his ghost before getting out his sparrow.

I also happened to get a couple of things on the Cabal that could help us out here,” Ray then spoke up. “If you would like, I can explain it on the way to the gate we need to reach.”

“Given the fact that we barely know anything about the Cabal right now and the fact that we have a LONG way to go before we can even reach the Vex Gate we need, I say go for it.” The reason why I said that was because in my mind, it would be better for us to know exactly what we are dealing with before we jump forward into the fray.

Ray himself proceeded to go a little more in-depth on telling us about the Cabal as we passed through what was called the Scablands. Deciding to ignore what was a skirmish between the Vex and Cabal for now so we can try and head to our destination. From what my ghost was able to find out, the Cabal that were here were just what was considered a few legions of a vast empire. With different ones in control of different sections of Mars.

Secondly, my ghost also found the original reason why the Cabal were here in the first place. According to some records he acquired, their original orders were to harvest any resources that they would find on the planet as well as investigate any human technology they would happen to come across. Of course, that all change with the discovery of the Vex… and the stunt we just pulled right now. Just great… we can’t catch a break today, can we?

Guys… I might not be in the best position to speak after what just happened,” We now heard Winona nervously reply as we began to cross what looked to be a rocky underpass and into a place called Giant’s Pass. “But I’m picking up what looks to be a Cabal Outpost. If we-

That immediately lead to Indigo attempting to interject in what she was going to say. “If you’re going to suggest hacking it-”

-Kill whoever is in charge there and take their access key. Then we can use the key to find out what the Cabal know about the Vex.

All three of us immediately stopped our sparrows and then just stared blankly at one another. Caught off guard by what Winona just told us. For a moment, I thought she was going to say something that would lead to an exact repeat of what happened a few moments ago, but now it seems like she’s beginning to learn that’s not a good idea.

That… actually sounds much better.” Indigo just faintly muttered to herself, before looking ahead and pointing out something to both Mac and I. “Oh hey look, literally anything else!”

“Must be the outpost then,” Mac replied back as he grabbed his weapons. “Alright, how will we determine who’s in charge?”

Look for a cabal with a specific title, like Bracus,” I heard Ray then speak up. “Not sure what most of the titles mean, but from the looks of it, its some kind of hierarchy system.

“And a Bracus is like?” I now asked.

Remember how the Fallen have captains? Think of a Bracus as a Cabal captain.” Well, now that makes much more sense at least.

“Hey, not to interrupt you two, but we got another one of those cabal transports dropping off more troops-” Indigo pointed out, just as a few shots from the weapons that they were carrying blast past us and hit one of the sparrows that had not dematerialized yet. “Hey!! That was my sparrow! What the hell!?!”

“Forget that! We got hostiles incoming!” Mac warned us as we looked ahead. From where we were, the pathway split into two parts. One that went up a small ravine to the left while the other was low and to the ground. Either way you went though, the cabal were everywhere. Not just in the amount of troops that were at this outpost, but also because of the metal barricades that were set up along the path forward. A lot of their equipment was seen lying around the basin as we pushed forward. Encountering more legionaries, phalanxes and what looked like another form of troops in the cabal ranks that came up as psions.

Though, as we pushed forward, there were no signs of any cabal with a ‘Bracus’ title. We’ve already been cutting through a lot of the cabal here, but there was no signs of the one who was in charge. And in turn, had the access key we needed. There had to be some way in order to really get their attention.

Around then, that was when I noticed something that looked like a terminal, before looking back to where Mac was. “Hey Winona, remember that one thing Mac said earlier?”

You mean about treading lightly if you see something unfamiliar? Yeah, why?

“Well, forget that,” What I said drew the attention of Mac himself as he looked back at me with what I could only assume was confusion since I couldn’t really see. “We’re fighting through these guys and we’re not attracting any attention from any of the cabal that are in charge. Maybe if we do some real damage, then we can be able to lure them out.”

“Now you’re sounding more like Rainbow-6 like that,” Indigo replied, just as she locked the chamber of her hand cannon back into place. “I like your way of thinking though.”

That coming from the guardian who seemed very strict in telling me not to screw up ten minutes ago,” Winona commented in response to the bladedancer. “Though, even though you guys are fine with it, ah want to hear from Mac. He’s my guardian, so he should have the final say.

I nodded my head in agreement, turning back to the titan and waiting for a response from him. At first, Mac was silent. Which, in my mind, meant that he was either detesting what I told him or pondering the idea of it. But after a short while, all he did was let out something that came off as an annoyed groan as he began to speak again.

“Just this once… But just we’re clear, ah do not want to have this be a repeat occurrence, alright?”

Immediately, Winona gave off what we could only describe as a ghost’s cheer of glee as she emerged from the titan and immediately went over to the Cabal terminal to mess around with. And once she started to tap into the system, another cabal dropship soon approached the surface. It’s first move was to fire rockets at us while deploying more forces, but that only prompted us to split up. Mac and I were by Winona and covering her work station while Indigo would pick off any enemies from a position that she found on the other side of the pass. Most of what we had to fight consist of the legionaries, phalanxes and psions that we have already been facing before, but after we dealt with the harvester offloading two different detachments of cabal, something else caught my attention.

That something being a Cabal soldier that stood out from the others. And not just in the sense that its armor and appearance were slightly different. This one also had a name and a title. Bracus Tho’ourg.

Indigo, there’s a cabal approaching your position right now that you need to take out,” We heard Winona speak up. “That’s the Cabal Bracus we’re looking for. He had the access key that we need!

“Already on it!” The crack of electricity began to sizzle around Indigo as we heard her activate her Arc Blade. Her light pulsing around her blade as she began to dash around the Bracus and tear apart at it while the rest of us focused on the other legionaries that could disrupt Indigo. Using whatever we had at our disposal so the bladedancer can tear apart her opponent. Even throwing out a solar grenade behind that of the Bracus she was facing so that way it can take damage while Indigo was darting out of the way of its own attacks.

After a few more strikes, the Bracus fell down to the ground. It’s black blood soaking the dunes as Mac and I finished off the last of the other troops. A few seconds later, we saw the hunter’s super disappear as she took the access key off of the Bracus’ corpse. Around the same time that Winona returned to Mac and when a new marker appeared on my visor. “So Ray, any idea where we can use this access key? Because I’m not picking up any terminals nearby that could use this.

I’m picking up a facility where it was last used at not far from here. If we can find it, then we can determine what to do from there.” My ghost responded back to Winona as the three of us began to run to the direction of where we needed to go. Part of me wanted to have us go by sparrow, but after Indigo’s almost got shot to pieces, I thought it would be better if our rides happened to stay in one piece. Everyone else seemed to agree with me on that one too.

After going down through another ravine, we found ourselves infiltrating and fighting through what was another Cabal base. This time, one that was not far from the game that was to supposedly take us to the black garden and one that the Cabal were using for… research. Which surprised me, because honestly, judging from what we have seen so far in the last fifteen to twenty minutes, their troops didn’t really look too interested in scientific research. But after some more digging, we found out that wasn’t really the case.

Turns out, the Cabal were actually very interested in trying to understand the Vex. According to logs from the research facility, the Cabal were able to actually break through the cognitive mesh that the Vex use to secure their most important structures and even tried to force open the gate to the Black Garden. But all tests, including one that we tried ourselves, haven’t worked. The gate would start up, but fizzle out seconds later.

Though, according to Ray, there was one thing that the Cabal have not even realized. Something that could help us. “Alright… everyone, I think I figured out how we’re getting that gate to the Black Garden open.”

At first, I just looked at Ray as he floated over a Cabal terminal. Just as confused as Mac and Indigo. “Ray, what exactly are we going to do? The Cabal have everything under lock and key.”

“Yes, but there’s something that even the Cabal don’t know about that’s deep in their own Warbase,” Ray began to explain. “They’re sitting on top of a Vex Spire that’s directly connected to the Black Garden’s gate. And it’s a spire that can charge the Gate Lord’s eye that we have already.”

At this point, I was having a bit of trouble processing what he was saying. Luckily though, Indigo was able to understand it much faster. “Wait… are you suggesting that we free this spire, so we can charge the eye. That’s in the heart of the Cabal base!”

“I know, but it’s our only shot… We need to do this now, so I hope you three are prepared for war,” Ray replied, returning back to me as another indicator appeared back on my map. Oddly enough, as we followed the marker, we began to realize that where we needed to go was back at the same place where the Vex and the Cabal were fighting each other. So with them distracted, it was easier for us to just rush on in without having to worry about them finding us.

Or… so I thought at first. As we entered the structure the cabal called ‘Firebase Rubicon’, we found out firsthand that they prepared extra defensive measures in case of a breach in security. More troops and defensive structures as we began to fight and traverse through the wastes that were behind it.

The first thing we had to do though was reach an observation tower that was on the way. According to Winona and Ray, the observation tower was used as a security measure to make sure that the Cabal knew where their troops and companies were at all times. So if the Cabal were going to and from the spire to conduct their research, then it would help us point out where we were going next.

Luckily, it wasn’t our hacking that tipped off the Cabal after we got the information we needed from the terminal. A passing patrol of Cabal soldiers noticed us as we exited the observation tower, causing them to open fire and attack us on sight. We attempted to fight them off, but as more troops began to surge onto our location, that was when something out of the ordinary happened.

Indigo herself had thought that if we could be able to get to a door that was on the other side of the wastes and hack it open, it would allow us to slip inside before reinforcements would show up. But before she could even get to the terminal, the giant door just opened up. We took the chance to go inside, but after the door closed behind us, we did not entirely feel confident about what was happening.

“This… feels too easy,” Indigo told us as she reloaded a new cylinder clip into her hand cannon. “Doors don’t normally open up for us without having any hostiles behind them. This really feels like a trap.”

It does feel… ominous,” Ray now spoke up. “The most likely plan they’ll try is to try to contain us to a confined area in hopes that they could pick us off that way.

That just made me stop, before shaking my head for a moment. “And how do you know that, Ray?”

Remember the information we obtained at the research base? Some of that information included some of their plans for military tactics.

Well, that seems reasonable.

“Let’s take into account everything around us. Some of the barricades that they might have set up could be a good source of cover.” Mac then added on as we reached the end of the tunnel that we were going through and found ourselves in an enclosed open space. In only a matter of seconds, alarms soon began to echo all around us as Cabal Legionaries began to close in on our position. Forcing us to fend them off and open fire as we looked for a way to get us out of this mess.

Eventually, Ray came up with a plan that involved cracking into the Cabal network to pry open a door that would allow us to head straight to the spire without any further detours. All while we had to kill any Cabal that would try to stop us in the process. Which was becoming harder because not only were we facing off against Legionaries, Phalanxes and Psions, but now we were seeing two new enemy types for the Cabal. The first one were called Centurions and they carried weapons that fired off rapid bursts of missiles at us while we were scrambling to maintain position. Even Mac was forced to use his Ward of Dawn to buy us a chance to reload our weapons before we can get back into the fight.

The second one was the Colossus. And it kind of spoke for itself. It was armed with a minigun that fired rounds faster than any of us could see, and if that wasn’t problematic enough, they also could fire off missiles at us. In order to deal with any that we came across, Indigo had to rely on her sniper rifle to take them out from behind cover to not get barraged by the storm of bullets that they could unleash.

Eventually though, by the time that Ray was able to open the door, the Cabal that we were fighting began to retreat… no, retreat doesn’t seem like the best words to describe it. If I had to take a guess, I would have to call it more like a tactical withdrawal. This is their own stronghold and I highly doubt that they are going to just give it up so easily to three guardians that only touched foot on the planet recently. Even with the heavy losses that they had already sustained, the Cabal seemed like a race that just doesn’t know when to quit.

Case in point, just a few moments after stepping out through the legions keep and beginning to cross a bridge that would lead us to their research compound, Cabal dropships begin to fire off missiles at us while deploying more troops to block us off from crossing to the other side. Once again, we had to take cover and fight our way through by eliminating their forces one by one. Taking down the legionaries and psions first, before all of us focused our fire on the colossus at the end of the bridge that was trying to tear us to shreds.

But it wasn’t just the cabal that were on the bridge that were trying to disrupt our progress. As we got further in, more of their soldiers emerged from a nearby bunker Prompting me to toss out my solar grenade and let the flames burn them while we had to run up the sandy dunes that lead to the area that Ray had marked for us. “Here we are… Though, I’m picking a few Cabal up on my sensors. If you can get rid of them, then we can work on the eye.

Following what he said, all three of us got to work. I now brought out my rocket launcher and fire off a rocket at a group of Cabal that were standing next to the conduit that Ray marked for us. Indigo followed suit and fired off one of her own rockets towards the group as well as the blast sent a trio of cabal corpses falling off the edge and landing face down in the sand.

Now was the moment of truth. With Ray transmatting the eye into my right hand, I carefully placed it into the center of the conduit while my ghost connected it into place. From what it looked like, the conduit looked to be part of some vex like structure that was in the middle of the cabal platform here. They had hooked up the whole thing with tubes and wires, probably to run tests on it to understand vex technology. However, that all began to change rather quickly.

Would now be the right time to say that… I have no idea what’s about to happen?

Ray… this is the worst possible time to say that. But before I could say anything, a beam of light shot from the conduit into the spire and moments later, the top half of it began to break free of the cables that were placed on it. Expanding outward, the top half began to split apart and divide into numerous pieces that began to float around in the air, with one rectangular piece beginning to glow in the center. Each one of the pieces began to disintegrate and turn to dust, while the rectangular one began to emit a white light and disappear as well.

“Did… we do it?” Mac now asked, sounding just as confused as the rest of us.

Ah think so… Only way we’ll know for sure will be-” Winona stopped in the middle of what she was saying, before immediately sounding much more serious. “We got company!! Turns out the light show just now brought out whoever was in charge of this place.

I heard a clicking sound behind me, turning to see Indigo reloading the magazine of her sniper rifle before stepping back. “And they don’t seem too thrilled about what we’re doing. Let’s get rid of them and get that eye back to where we need it. This guy’s the one thing between us and opening up the Black Garden.”

I’ll focus on getting the eye out so the Cabal don’t damage it.” Ray responded before getting to work on the eye. I now got a look at the Cabal Centurion that Winona was referring too. This one was different from the others though. Not just because of the ridiculous looking headdress that was its armor, but because this particular had a title and a name. Primus Sha’aull. The Primus had allies with them too, but my fireteam and I were able to make short work of them for the meantime so we could take the Primus down.

The most important thing we had to do while engaging Sha’aull was keeping our distance. If we tried attacking a Cabal at close range, it was likely that a blow from them would be the painful equivalent of getting run over by a sparrow. So my shotgun would be useless here. Instead, all of us focused on using long range weaponry first, such as Mac’s scout rifle, Indigo’s sniper rifle and my pulse rifle. Once the Primus attempted to propel itself to another location, we got the heavy weapons and proceeded to open fire. Pelting him with rockets and machine gun rounds until the primus was nothing more than another cabal lying face down in the sand.

Great work,” Ray told us. “I got the eye and it’s fully charged. How is everyone?

“I’m still kicking,” Indigo replied, looking to the titan that stood next to her. “How about you, Mac?”

“Same here.”

My reply was just a simple nod of the head as he looked back at us. “Alright. Let’s get back to that station. It’s time to enter the Black Garden and finish this.


It took almost two hours for us to get back to where we once were. Not just on foot, but by Sparrow as well. But eventually, we made it back to the Valley of the Kings. However, the sight in front of us was now much different than before. The Vex and Cabal were clashing with each other in all out war. The Vex wanting to defend the gate while the Cabal saw their actions as encroachment upon their territory.

Several Minotaur and a Hydra were guarding the gate alongside numerous other types of Vex. But it was as we were taking them down and approaching the gate that the eye we had began to glow and the gate roared to life. However, there was no time to spare.

“Guys, come on! This is our chance!” I told them, but as I turned around, I found both of them hiding behind cover. Caught in a firefight with the Cabal.

Go! We can’t let them go after you!” We heard Winona told us as Mac fired off two rounds at a pair of psions that were closing in on Indigo’s position.

What are you saying!? The gate will close if we go in! We’re the ones keeping it open!” Ray shot back.

“And if you don’t act now, the Cabal will kill you before you even make it inside or that gate’s going to close!” Indigo now shouted. “Just get in or I will throw you in there myself!!”

“You heard her, Sunset,” I heard Mac tell me. “Go. We’ll cover you from out here.” Seconds afterwards, a Cabal dropship began to fire off rounds of missiles at our position as Mac activated his Ward of Dawn.

The only thing I could do though… was run. Part of me felt guilty for leaving my teammates, the ones who I call my friends behind. But this was the only chance I had. I leaped through the gate without a second thought. The white light blinding my vision before I felt myself landing on solid ground. But it was much different from before. The ground looked to be made of metal and… there was life here. Grass was coming out of the ground as I began to get back on my feet.

As I looked up though… I now had a good look of where exactly I was.

“Ray… I don’t think we’re on Mars anymore.”