• Published 20th Mar 2018
  • 3,369 Views, 147 Comments

Destiny- Shimmering Sun - FrostTheWolf



One day, Sunset Shimmer wakes up in the middle of nowhere only to have a ghost tell her that she's been dead for quite some time. This isn't going to go down well. [Destiny/EQG Crossover]

  • ...
11
 147
 3,369

12- The Stranger and The Awoken

By the time that my ship broke out of orbit and descended down towards the surface of Venus, I was a bit caught off guard by what I was seeing. In all honesty, I was expecting a rich jungle environment and vegetation based on what Ray had told me, but upon setting foot on the surface, a lot of what I found was jagged slopes of rock, burned out trees and a ocean that was the color of rust. Massive clouds lingered all around the atmosphere as I watched lightning crackle from inside those clouds. Further scans from my ship identified the chemical composite of those clouds to consist primarily of sulfuric gas that was being released from the surface of the planet into the atmosphere, with the main source being one of the mountains that had a huge glowing crack split down the middle. Which is the reason why the skyline was now a sulfuric yellow that only allowed in small amounts of sunlight to peak through the clouds as we flew over the ruins of what was once a civilization that lived on the planet's surface.

And to think that such a planet was once called a ‘paradise’ for humanity and seen as the holy grail of golden age research. I wonder how Twilight would react if she found out I was here?

Once I landed on my feet, Ray soon emerged out of my equipment and began to speak. “And just when I thought that everything here that was built by the Ishtar Collective was all lost during the collapse… Yet, everything here still looks as if it's seen better days.”

“Ray… could you remind me what exactly was this Ishtar Collective supposed to be? I believe you only mentioned it briefly on the way here.” I asked him, holding onto my pulse rifle as I surveyed my surroundings. Looking to see if there was anything that could be seen as out of the ordinary. “We’re they like some kind of special group or something?”

“You… can say that,” He replied back, before going back inside my helmet. “The Ishtar Collective was a organization during the golden age that dedicated themselves to pursuing scientific advancements and research. A school was even built here called the Ishtar Academy. We’ll probably be going through it if we’re to reach the coordinates this new ‘friend’ of ours gave us. But…

“But?” I asked, now raising an eyebrow at my ghost.

But I think you and I both can agree that we don’t like getting dragged out here and not get a lay of the land first,” That… was indeed a valid point. One in which Ray emphasized on when he continued his statement. “My sensors are picking up what was once a guardian outpost not far from where we’re at right now. Let’s go there first to see what they have on this place as well as see if we can get your sparrow linked up too.

Well, at least it beats running around on foot all the time. That's for sure. Following the main path though, I focused my efforts on making sure to get to the outpost while also keeping my guard up in case something was watching us. The amount of time that I have been out in the cosmodrome taught me that the fallen would always be the kind to scavenge ruins like the ones that we flew over, so I kept my guard up in case if they were actually here.

Which was helpful because not a few moments after I began to walk through the ruins along what was now coming up as ‘The Shattered Coast’, several fallen scavengers that were hiding behind rusted and broken down cars now had their sights on me. Forcing me to quickly act as I fired several rounds into the first couple of dregs I saw before fighting against the shanks and the lone vandal that was with them. However, seeing the presence of the fallen here was kind of unsettling considering that getting to the outpost wasn’t quite as easy as I thought it would be… and the likelihood of it being trashed by the fallen was another concern.

A concern that was greatly elevated when around the time that I had dispatched of the patrol I encountered and got closer to the outpost, a fallen ketch just happened to appear out of normal and bring more of them for me to face. Man, I really do not have time for this right now.

So before they could even try to fire at me, I jumped up and equipped my rocket launcher. Firing off a rocket in the middle of the fallen pack as the explosion took them down in a matter of seconds. By then, their ketch had already left and since I did not see anymore of them, I believe that we’re in the clear. “That was very quick…

“We don’t have time to be held back just because a few fallen want to kill me and loot my corpse,” I told my ghost, reaching what appeared to be the outpost because of the collapsable terminal that was there. Having Ray appear in my left hand now, he took the moment to scan the console here as I kept an eye out for more fallen. Just in case if what I did earlier happened to attract more attention. And after about a minute, that was when I felt him return to me. “So, did you find anything?”

I did and a whole lot more,” he told me, just as I saw something flash on my visor. It was the same thing I saw on the moon when Ray established the link with my sparrow, which was a sign of relief. Of course, the sparrow link was not the only thing that he found. “Aside from linking your sparrow, the last Guardian here has a lot of information here about something than the fallen.

“Other than the fallen?” I asked, my tone giving the impression that I need further clarification on the matter.

Yes. There’s a lot in here about a series of … war machines, I think,” You think? Ray, I don’t need you to think right now, I need you to know- “They’re called the Vex and judging from the notes here, they are indestructible, relentless, super intelligent… and they can teleport. Well, that’s just great.

“Okay, is there some form of good news that you can tell me from that?” I asked, bringing out my sparrow as I began to take a seat and grab the handles.

Why yes actually. According to this, guardians that once came here used a series of sensors to track them. They’re currently offline right now, but I am picking up their locations. Let’s get them back online first.” A new marker appeared on my map as I went straight towards it. Avoiding the broken fissures of rock in the ground and looking back towards where the marker was. Getting off my sparrow once I got close enough and taking a moment to reload my weapons before stepping inside.

The sensor that the two of us had to find was inside the second floor of what looked like the main lobby for an office building. And the only real way I can tell that was that despite everything else inside the room being destroyed, the front desk was still sturdy and looked to have not really taken any damage. Before I could have Ray bring the sensor online though, I needed to clear out the room of… you guessed it, more fallen. This time with a servitor backing them up and attempting to make them invulnerable to my attacks.

Of course, one servitor and a room full of Fallen weren’t a problem when I still had my grenade and weapons to quickly dispatch of them. The solar grenade I threw at the ground not far from where I was at to keep the fallen dregs off my back as I aimed my pulse rifle at the vandals. Taking them down quickly with a few burst rounds to their heads before focusing on the servitor. The servitor itself was trying to blast me with energy that it was firing from its eye, but by moving around the complex, those same blasts were able to get blocked by the concrete pillars that held the room in place. Which, to me, seemed like a perfect plan of attack. Use the pillars to block the servitors attack, before firing back and taking advantage of the servitors own weak point.

Once things were a bit cleaned up, that was when I had the chance to get Ray to visit the console on the top floor as I had the chance to look around the building some more. Though… there was something that almost caught me off guard. It looked a little bit worn and torn, but under some rubble, there looked to be what was some kind of postcard along the back wall.

Man, now I was beginning to feel bad for whoever did come here to live just before the collapse.

“This is so extensive…” I heard my ghost say, taking a bit longer than normal before returning back to me. “Alright, I should be able to track them now. Let’s go to the coordinates and see what this new ‘friend’ of ours wants for us to see.

I nodded in response, bringing out my sparrow again and setting off towards where we were going. Though, it only lasted a short while as the two of us reached the entrance to an underground passageway that was too narrow to have my sparrow squeeze through. Going through the tunnel though lead to us ending up inside of another building. However, this place looked to be much different.

I found myself walking through the hallways of what looked like the inside of an old facility. But it was around this time that I heard Ray say something else to me. “We are definitely in the Ishtar Academy now.

“How can you tell?” I then asked, going down a set of stairs to where there was a broken statue in the center of a room. The statue itself looked almost like the one that was on the postcard that I saw. Just with a few cracks along the body and the wings of the statue were already broken off and crumbled. That was before coming out into a small clearing that was in between this building and the next one over.

You see that symbol on the next building over? Near the top?” I looked up now, noticing what looked to be a circle with a series of lines extending from the center. Four of them going in a different direction diagonally with two coming out from the left and right as Ray continued to explain. “That’s the emblem of the Ishtar Collective and the emblem that represents its archives. I saw it once on the walls in the tunnel that we just passed and two other times when in that last building.

“I’ll just… take your word for it then,” I replied back as a new marker came up. Directing me towards the second building. A few fallen were inside, but I made short work of them as I pushed through. Going up the stairs of the main plaza and following the marker.

As we got closer though… that was when Ray and I found something that was… out of the ordinary to say the least. It was a pillar of white light, but it had numerous other lines moving along the outside of it. Twinkling as if it was a structure made out of glass. “Ray… what is that?”

I have no idea… but the coordinates lead us to this exact spot,” So this stranger went through all of this trouble to get our attention in order to see… a pillar? To take a page from Rainbow, that just sounds anticlimactic. “Let me take a closer look. There’s probably more to this than we might think.

At first, I thought that the idea of something that we clearly have no idea what it was sounded downright insane. Then again, we’ve kind of already did a lot of things that would also fit in that same exact category. Stepping closer, I held him out so he could examine the strange structure… and after a few seconds, he seemed to be picking up something. “Hunh… this is fascinating. Streams of non-baryonic particles are going through this conflux, but where-. Oh no...”

The sound of lightning began to crack through the room as I looked up to see what appeared to be a massive grey cloud. Crackling with lightning and jagged square like lines as I backed up from the conflux. “Ray, what’s going on?!”

“No no no no no!! This is bad!!” He said, just before returning to me. “It’s the Vex! They’ve found us. Find cover, now!

From the cloud, several mechanical forms began to emerge. All of them moving autonomously… moving together… towards us. My visor began to pick up two different types of these Vex. The first one, the goblin, had several of them spawn not too far from where I was at. Their right arms were a designated weapon that was aimed directly at me as they fired red bolts of energy passed my head. The second one, the hobgoblin, had what looked like horns coming out of its head and sported a tail as they were perched near the back of the library we were in. Each of them had a glowing white core that was around their stomach.

However, there was one other thing about these guys that I only realized after the fact. Shooting their head off doesn’t exactly kill them… it just really pissed them off. Something that I found out firsthand when two of the goblins I thought I killed began to charge me while also firing their weapons. Forcing me to switch to my shotgun in an effort to get them to back off as I scrambled to give myself some distance.

And just after taking care of those guys was a problem, more of them came in just a few seconds later. Only this time, there was one of these machines that towered over the others. It came up on my radar as a Minotaur and the blasts that it fired from its weapon were enough to rip holes through the ground and blast through the floors of the balcony looking over the room. Reducing the amount of options for me to retreat to for cover. I couldn’t even be able to get far enough away from it because a few seconds after I gained some distance, it emerges out of nowhere right in front of me and slams its fist into the ground.

Now, I’m beginning to feel just as pissed of at them… as they are at me for shooting them. “Ray, activate a heavy ammo synthesis.”

Already on it. You’re clear.” the amount of rockets I had just reached max capacity as I got out my launcher, aiming directly at the minotaur and squeezing the trigger. Seconds after being fired and breaking the shield that was around it, I wasted no time loading the next one in and preparing the launcher to fire again. Turning the minotaur into scrap metal alongside the other vex that swarmed around it. The hobgoblins that were present immediately activated a solar shield to protect them from the rockets, but they couldn’t be able to protect themselves after I switched back to my pulse rifle to take them down.

Now… no more of those machines came for us. And we found ourselves standing in this pit of dead robots. But now that the dust had settled… that was when Ray spoke up. “What exactly are these things? Do you see any intact that I can analyze?”

Looking around, there was one goblin that still looked intact. Holding out Ray, I bent over the Vex and had him scan it. Seeing if he could find anything-

“Well fought.”

I stood up and turned around. Behind me was a figure. An exo who had dark leather garments all over her body that would match the appearance of a hunter as well as a hood. But it had no mask on and I could be able to see its face. It’s cold metallic eyes staring directly at me.

“You’re actually here…” I replied, a bit surprised. I was going to add more, but before I could say anything, the stranger cut me off.

“I am… but not for long. We haven’t gotten much time.”

Okay, but could you at least answer a couple of simple questions for us? I mean, you had us come all the way out here and the least you could do is answer them. “Who are you?”

“And why have you been watching us-?”

“Look. I don’t have the time to explain why I don’t have the time to explain,” the stranger retorted, before looking away as I heard a faint buzzing in her ear. Almost as if there was someone else talking to her. “I got it. I will. I know.”

“Got what?” Ray asked.

“I wasn’t talking to you, little light.” Little light? I… have to admit, that sounded like a good nickname for Ray all things considered.

“I’m a Ghost, actually-”

“I think she already knows that.” I told him, just before the stranger picked up where she left off.

“Many guardians fell trying to come here. Strong ones too. But you made it here in one piece-” Again, she turned away, talking to whoever was on the other end of her com line. Ray however, became a bit too curious about her. Floating around the exo’s head and beginning to speak to himself.

“Who is she talking too?”

That stray comment had the exo lift up her head and upon noticing Ray, pushed him aside before turning her attention back towards me. “Guardian, you need my help.”

“Is that why you brought us out here?” I then asked, just as I noticed the goblin that Ray and I were looking at begin to twitch all over the ground. Catching the attention of the stranger as she moved over to it.

They brought us here,” She corrected me, before bending down to see the goblin, struggling in pain. “The Vex… They are constantly simulating. Constantly learning. Evil so dark that it despises other evil.”

That… was when Ray said something that… definitely threw me off guard. I didn’t realize it at first when we originally met her. But based on how she was acting, I now could see what it was. “You’re… You’re not a guardian. Are you?”

At first, the exo just stood there and remained silent. But then she turned her head back towards us. “No. I was not blessed by your traveler… Nor was I forged in light,” Looking back down at the Vex, she moved her right arm behind her to her utility belt and unhooked something that was hidden under her cloak. “But, I believe that when our paths cross, Ground…”

The very next moment, I watched as she whipped out a knife and drove it into the center of the Vex. The white like core rupturing as whatever was inside splattered all over the ground like blood. The goblin itself let out a screech as it died. “... could break.”

Pulling out the blade, she put the knife away before turning back to us. Asking a question that I… didn’t exactly have the answer too. “Do you know of the Black Garden?”

“We’ve heard of the legends.” Hold up. We? What do you mean by ‘we’, Ray? Are you trying to put words in my mouth or something?

“The greatest threat to us all lies where these machines are born. Where they are brought into this world,” The Stranger retorted while also saying something else. “Find the Black Garden… and once you do… rip out its heart. Only then will your Traveler’s wounds will begin to heal.”

That sounded alright. However, there was something that I needed to know. “Can you help us find where it is?”

The exo shook her head, its eyes closing for a short moment as it spoke. “My path is my own. I can’t come along with you.” Well, I guess that rules out that option then. And we don’t quite have any alternatives that can serve as a plan b. Well, more like I don’t have any alternatives. Though, it seemed like Ray was pondering something as he turned back towards me. Hopefully, he had some kind of fallback plan as to what we had to do next.

“If we’re going to need to find the black garden, then we will need to see the Awoken out in the Reef.” Wait… the Reef?

“Ah yes, the Awoken,” The Stranger retorted, “Out there, wavering between the light and the dark. A side should be taken… even if it is the wrong si-” However, before she could finish, that was when something on her com line went ablaze. Because the moment she turned around, she quickly armed herself with the weapon that was on her back and was already walking away. A blue-light silhouette forming around her.

“Too late? Returning now. How many are there? … Stay right where you are, kill the engines, and whatever you do, don’t let them find you!”

And just as quick as she was here, the stranger was gone in the blink of an eye. Leaving just the two of us among the broken disassembled bodies of Vex. “So… Ray… Could you explain to me what this Reef is? And more importantly, what in the world is the Black Garden?”

“Stories from the old warlock named Mistmane say that it was a place that was created because of the Traveler’s actions on Mars. But that’s all that they are… Stories,” Ray replied back. “The only ones who could possibly know about it are the Awoken that live in the Reef. It’s out on the edge of the darkness and its seen as the last place that the light has ever touched.”

Pausing for a moment, my ghost looked back at the whole mess that was in front of us, before asking what I thought was a bit of a rhetorical question. “Can’t we just stay here with all the murderous robots?”

Looking back at him, I only had one answer for him as I placed my pulse rifle on my back. “No… Little Light.”

“Please, don’t do that.”


By the time that we arrived back to my ship and began to get settled in, we were now orbiting the planet of Venus, Ray was already beginning to set up the ship’s navigation system so that we could head directly towards the Reef. The place at the edge of the system where the Awoken reside. In my mind, I was trying to think about how to think everything through so that I don’t end up saying anything I would regret later.

Unfortunately, before I could go anywhere… That was when something was coming through on my navigation unit and Ray materialized right next to me. “Incoming transmission from the tower. I believe the Vanguard is trying to get ahold of us.”

And just before I could say anything, that was when I began to pick up the voice of who exactly was trying to contact me. And right away, I could tell that this wasn’t good. “Sunset? Sunset, where in the world have you been?!” I heard the voice of Twilight shout at me, before she began to calm herself down. “After your mission on the moon, no one’s been able to get a hold of you for the last two hours. And just what in the world are you doing by Venus anyways?

“That… is a lot to explain.” I told her.

“I got time…”

“Well, I don’t exactly have that.” I said at first, before taking a deep breath. “When on the moon, we got a transmission from someone. Someone who left us a series of coordinates to Venus. When we went to investigate, we were attacked by a group of enemies that are called the Vex. And when we met this stranger, she told us something important.”

Wait… How important? I mean, I partially know of the Vex because of the research that the tower has from some of the members of the Ishtar Collective after the collapse but…” Things went silent for a moment, but then I got an idea.

“Ray, do you have audio from our conversation earlier?” All my ghost did was nod his head, before I spoke up. “Play back the clip from when she told us what we need to do in concern with the traveler.”

At first, Ray was a bit puzzled as to why… but after a moment, he complied as he went over to my ship's computer and scanned it. Before a segment of our conversation began to play.

Do you know of the Black Garden?

We’ve heard of the legends.

The greatest threat to us all lies where these machines are born. Where they are brought into this world. Find the Black Garden… and once you do… rip out its heart. Only then will your Traveler’s wounds will begin to heal.

The audio clip soon ended and with it, Twilight gasped. Almost like she had heard an omen of some sorts. But it was then that she had a different question for us. “Did this… person offer their help?”

“She said that she couldn’t, but Ray has an idea of where we can start looking for the Black Garden,” I responded back, pressing a few buttons as Ray interacted with the ships navigation system. “He said that the best place for us to start looking is to go to the Reef and visit the Awoken.”

For a moment, I heard Twilight gasp. Almost as if what I told her just happened to scare the living out of her. But after a couple of moments and as my ship began to head out of orbit and towards our destination, that’s when she cleared her throat and began to speak again. “Sunset, I… know that what you are doing is important. Just… please be careful. The Awoken out in the Reef are not as friendly like those in the tower. In fact, if you ask for their help, they would always want something in exchange. And they will see it through to the end… I have to go, Flash is calling a meeting. I’ll try to look at any information here in the archives on the garden, just-

Then, the transmission was abruptly cut. Our ship began to slow down, approaching what looked like a cosmic void. Pieces of what used to be ships were scattered all over the place as I slowly moved forward. “Ray… what is all of this?”

“Every ship that tried to flee Earth during the collapse… This is as far as they made it out here, but… I think they died out here.” He told me, as we passed through two huge plates of what looked to be some kind of passenger ship.

“This… place is a graveyard…” I gasped, looking around while trying to stay on course. “But if this is true… how did the Awoken survive?”

“No one knows how-” He said, before stopping and looking to my navigation unit. “Sunset, stop the ship now.”

“What-?”

I looked toward my ships radar, only to find that two red markers had just appeared behind me. For a moment, I felt that I needed to turn around and see them, but that was before a new voice was blasting on my comline. “Intruder bearing one-seven-two, you have crossed into the realm of the Awoken. Either state your business now or be fired on by the order of the Queen.

I immediately looked towards Ray, almost as if I wanted for him to demand an explanation. But when was short for words, I had to get to the comline to respond. “We are here from Earth. We wish to seek the counsel of the Awoken.”

Shortly after I said that, both of the ships that were originally behind me began to circle back around… before they responded back to me. “Conform to my trajectory. Any deviation from my course will be taken as an act of aggression.” Now both ships moved to the front and began to lead the way as I took over the controls of the ship. Carefully following them as I looked back to Ray.

“Well, I think both of us found the right place.”

“Yeah, but why is the ‘right place’ always have to look so terrifying?” He asked me as we began to continue following the two ships as we went into the loading bay that was here. Before leaving though, I made sure that I left my weapons behind. If I were to show that I was here for counsel, then I should do all that I can to not provoke any ‘acts of aggression’ with my appearance as I followed the guards that came out of their own vessels.

By the Traveler, I think I’m beginning to sound like Rarity. I mean… acts of aggression based on my appearance? Really?

“So… these are the trespassers that are demanding an audience?”

My attention was soon directed towards the one who was in front of me. An awoken, whose appearance and light armor made me think that he was some kind of hunter. But I did not feel any light from him. Nor did I see anything that would be a ghost. Aside from the armor, he had the grey/white like skin that comes with being an awoken, washed orange eyes and his hair was a dark faded purple as he sat on the steps of what appeared to be an empty throne.

“We did not mean to trespass-.” I told him in response while Ray was floating right beside my head.

“The Queen is the one who judges those who wish to enter her realm. Seeing if they are or aren’t worthy,” The figure spoke, getting up off the floor as he slowly approached us. “If it were me though… I honestly see no reason for her to to be available to those who wash up upon the shores of The Reef. And yet, here we are.”

“We’ve come seeking your help-” I told him in response, noticing something move behind the throne. As this… person that I was talking to turned around, that was when I saw something that caught me by surprise. But not as much as it caught Ray off guard.

“Fallen-!”

“Ray, wait!” I said, stopping him from doing anything. It looked like in that moment, he was going to transmat one of the weapons I kept on the ship. There were indeed fallen in the vicinity. But something was different about the two that we were seeing. Normally, Fallen would immediately attack us on sight if they see someone like us. But these ones just stood by the throne, as if they were guarding it. “Something’s… different. They’re not attacking us, so the last thing we should do is attack them.”

“Well now, aren’t you an interesting one,” We both now heard a second voice, turning our attention to the throne as another awoken stepped out from behind it. Her eyes were a fading blue and her hair was similar to the color of that for the first Awoken we saw. A fading light purple, which was similar to that of the color of her skin. “Others like you would immediately succumb to fear and let it provoke their actions. But this one… this one is different.”

As I say that, both of the vandals standing behind her stood at attention. Their spears standing up as if they were elite guards to the queen. I was still trying to process how this Awoken could have Fallen serve under her, but that was not important right now. “Tell me… are you one of the nameless… or are you not like the others you fight alongside?”

Now it was time for me to speak. “My name is Sunset Shimmer… I am a guardian from Earth.” I told her in response.

“So it does have a name,” She responded, amused by my response. “Well then, I am Novo Sov. Queen of the Reef and of my people. Now… what could someone like you possibly want from my people?”

“We’ve come to ask for assistance. My ghost and I… We are searching for the Black Garden.” There was a brief pause. Some whispers from the guards as the male awoken approached us. Moving closer as he asked us a question.

“And why are you searching for it?”

“We seek to destroy the darkness at its heart.” Ray now replied as I nodded my head in response.

“So you wish to turn it into a battleground,” He asked, shaking his head in response as if what we said to him was disappointing. “How tedious.”

And now I get the feeling that this guy is holding something back from us. Like he knows something about the garden and is trying to keep it a secret. “Do you know where it is?”

“Everyone knows where it is,” He spoke again. “The hard part though is getting inside.”

“Can you help us?”

That question had him now glare daggers directly at Ray and I. Almost as if he wanted nothing to do with us. His tone sounding much more agitated with each word he spoke. “And just why… would we… do that?”

“The queen wishes to seek counsel with her brother-in-law,” We both heard Novo speak up. There was a brief pause, but when the other awoken did not move, that was when she spoke again. “Stratus…”

The other awoken, nodded his head in response. “At once, your grace,” He replied back, before walking over and kneeling before her. Both awoken began to converse amongst themselves, making Ray and I look at each other and wonder what exactly they were discussing. But after a couple of moments… the tone from Stratus abruptly began to revert back to when we first met him. “Yes… that’s good. That’s definitely good,” He said, turning around to face us again. “Why not? We’ll help craft you a key for you to go inside… How’s that? There’s just one thing that we need in order to build it.”

“And what would that be?” I asked.

“The head of a Vex Gate lord.”

“Uh… A Gate lord?” Ray asked, now sounding nervous at the mention of that.

“May I ask why do you need the head of a Vex?” I then asked.

“Oh we don’t… And I doubt we’ll get one. But what’s inside that head is your only way of getting into the garden.”

Wow… out of all the people I’ve met so far after coming back to life, this guy is the one who’s a straight up asshole. Putting that aside though, all I did was nod my head. “We will bring you what you asked for.”

But before we left, we heard one last cheery remark from Stratus. “… Or die on Venus, either way.”


Author's Note:

This time around, I did a 2-for-1 special. Since I really felt that doing the ‘Awoken’ as its own chapter was too short and out of place, I thought it would be better to include it here than drag it on a bit longer.

So with the bigger threat now out in the open, Sunset has to do whatever she can to seek the Black Garden and put an end to whatever’s going on inside. Only then will the Traveler truly begin to heal.
-Frost

Fun fact... When Novo asks about if Sunset Shimmer is ‘nameless’, its referred to the fact that when most guardians are first brought to life, they don’t remember anything from their past. Sunset and a few others in this story are the only exceptions.