• Published 26th Feb 2018
  • 1,957 Views, 32 Comments

Every Day is Sun-Day - Silent Whisper



Some things can't wait forever to be said. Pinkie Pie knows this, but it doesn't make it any easier to admit her feelings.

  • ...
5
 32
 1,957

I was made for sunny days, and I was made for you

It’s a beautiful sunny day. The birds are singing to the heavens, and I’m reminded of you. I pull back the curtains and see your gift, the sunbeamiest rays of light, shining down on me. I’m so excited that we’re going to spend time together soon! It’ll be almost like what could have happened if we- wait, no, change that thought.

It’ll be so much fun. I know you’re just coming to see how Twilight is handling all her princess duties, but it’s always great to see you. Even when you don't notice me back, it's wonderful. Heh, remember when you were flying by, and I hopped in all the puddles that the wheels of your chariot left behind?

I bet you don’t, but that’s okay too. It’s just like when I went on a picnic and invited the plushie I made of you. You haven’t seen her, but that’s okay. She used to be pure white, but I keep spilling things on her when I bring her into the kitchen. I’d keep her in my room, but it’s too sad to do that. You have to be near me. I want to show you how I make the bestest, most yumlicious cupcakes in all of Equestria! So even if fake you is colored with sprinkles and sugar, it's nice to have you leaning against the windowsill, smiling at me as I work.

I wish the real you was there. You make everything sunny and upbeat! It’s like all you have to do to make everypony’s day is to walk into a shop and grace them with your presence. I could never do that as well as you. You make everypony super happy, and I wish I could be with you forever!

Sadly, this isn’t that sort of visit. You’re just coming to see Twilight. I don't mean to complain or be all sad about that, of course! There's so much wonderfulicious about just getting to see you! I mean, we still get to eat together, and I get to be the one to prepare for it. It’s a lot of cooking, and then time goes by super duper fast as we sit together, and then it's just a lot of scrubbing messy dishes afterwards. Alone. In the kitchen. Trying not to- stop, rewind, try again.

I always make a big mess when I’m cooking for you. It’s like all my energy is balled up inside of me, and I just have to do something with it! Other ponies say that I’m a flurry of hooves and flour. That sounds about right. I cook with a heated passion, and I don’t even know what my hooves are doing half the time because all I can think about is you, and you smiling at what I make, and you thanking me, and you spending time with me…

Oh, I’m doing it again, aren’t I? I’m getting all sadish, and my mane is all droopy and I feel all slouchy inside. I can’t be like this, I can’t! Not today! Not when you’re visiting me! We’re going to have lots of fun together! I can’t wait to watch you step from your chariot and glide so perfectly across the grassy ground. It’s like your hooves don’t even touch the ground, either, and that’s really super cool! Your coat is always so white and it look so soft and I just wanna nuzzle into it and- stop, no, let’s start again.

I’m baking cupcakes for your visit. They're these tiny little ones, too, filled with jam and chocolate pudding and yumdelicious things like that! Twilight said I shouldn’t frost them, because then frosting will get everywhere, but I think I’ll frost a few of them and set them aside. Maybe if I’m lucky, I’ll be able to sneak a few in a basket onto your carriage for when you leave! It’ll be a going-away snack, for when you leave again.

Twilight says you like sweet things, but you shouldn’t eat too much of them. I don’t know why she thinks she has to tell me this. I mean, yes, sugar is wonderful and happy, but I’m not going to shove it down your throat! That would be so mean of me! Twilight doesn’t know what she’s talking about, and I bet she’s just upset that I- wait, restart.

I’m all sad again, but the sun is still shining down on me. Is that you up there? Can you see me? Can you tell why I’m upset? I hope not, and yet a part of me wishes that you can. Twilight said that the sun is a star. Can I wish on the sun? Will that make my wish come true?

My cupcakes are out of the oven. The first batch looks all perfect and fluffy and happy, and I hope you’ll like them! I mixed sprinkles into the batter at the last moment, and now they’re dotted with pastel color. They look like a little party. You like parties, don’t you? Remember that other time you came to visit Twilight, and we all celebrated her birthday together? There was actual confetti in the cake, but it was special and edible. I think Rarity spat it out when I wasn’t looking. It didn’t really taste that great, but it sure looked nice.

Do you like colors? I don’t think I’ve ever asked. Or, if I did, I forgot all about it. You visit Twilight an awful lot, and I’m sure she knows what your favorite color is. I don’t even know what color you’d most likely like best! Do you like yellow the best, because it’s warm and carefree? Or what about blue, the color of the sky when there’s no mean little clouds to block out your smiling sunbeams?

Some days, I think you like purple the best, and that makes me all sad. It’s not that I don’t like purple too, of course! Purple is the colors of flowers and grapes and- nope, let’s try that again! Happier, this time!

I can’t help it, you know. I really can’t. Sometimes, I just become a mean old sadface jealouspants. I wish I could tell you how I feel, but you don’t ever seem to notice me, and sometimes I think you’re just happier like that. Not-knowing. Maybe it’s better off that way. I want you to be happy, I really do, more than anything. Seeing you smile makes everything bouncier and better!

Oh! Those trumpets! I know that sound! It's the best sound in the world, because it means I get to see you soon! I’ve just got to wrap these up to take to you! Do you think you’ll like the blue basket or the red one? Oh, I don’t know, so I’ll put some in each and take them both. If only I had wings like Fluttershy. I’ve seen her carry her groceries under them, and ducklings on top of them! Oh well, that’s what balloons are for! I’ll just tie them to the handles and tug them along! What could be a happier sight than balloons carrying baskets with cupcakes in them?

Well, for starters, you!

It’s a little windy outside. I hope they don’t all blow away! It would be sad if the cupcakes spilled. Who’d want to eat dirt cupcakes? Well, maybe squirmy-worms might, but these cupcakes aren’t for them! Hm, I wonder if Fluttershy would like it if I made cupcakes for worms? Wait, no, that’s just silly! Worms eat dirt, not sweets!

There’s your chariot! It’s not all rainy, so there aren’t any puddles to stomp in where it landed. I suppose I could jump into the tread marks it left, but it’s just not the same without a splash! You’re not in your chariot, though, and there’s just some tired-looking guards. I’ll offer them cupcakes. Maybe that’ll cheer them up!

Aww, they smiled and said thank you, but they looked a little sad. I hope the cupcakes cheer them up. They’re full of strawberry jam, and who doesn’t love strawberries?

The castle is in sight now. It’s really tall, so it’s not like I can get lost. It casts rainbows on the ground. Prisms, Twilight said. Some of the crystals act as prisms. The best time to see it is during the sunset, when all of Ponyville is in the castle’s shadow. It’s alive with rainbows, and everything is sparkly in all the colors of the rainbow!

I wish you would stay to see it. Maybe tonight, I’ll ask you! But, not in a creepy, let’s-watch-the-sunset-together-and-hold-hooves way. Just a friendly way. Yeah. Because we’re… friends. Just friends. You don’t know that I really, really actually- no sir-ree! We’re almost there, it isn’t time to be all sad!

Spike says you’re in the throne room. Oh, don’t mind if I do! I’m almost tempted to leave the cupcakes and go back to baking or something. No, no, that's fine, Spike, I know the way myself! Help yourself to a cupcake, by the way! I guess I'm just anxious to see you and all, even though we've seen each other a million times before. This time is special, though, isn't it? It's special because I get to see you and everything has to be perfect, it just has to!

But I've got nothing to be worried about, right? I’m not going to be a scaredy-filly, not today, nopie-dopie! Besides, if I just drop them off, I won’t be able to see you, and it isn’t every day that you come around! Today is a special day! It’s… it’s… Sun-day! We should make a special holiday just for you! Everypony will party in the streets, and notice how wonderfully you shine down on us all! Snacks for everypony! I can almost hear the cheering, just thinking about it!

And there you are. You’re talking to Twilight, and you’ve got your wing around her, and for some reason that makes me feel like I want to go home, as fast as I can, and... um, get started on the dishes. Yes. And if any tears happen, it’ll be because I got soap in my eye. That’s all. Soap.

You two are perfect together, really. I don't know why I was thinking otherwise earlier. You’re both alicorns and tall and magic-y and I’m just the mare who delivers the cupcakes. I can’t help standing in awe, though. Your mane moves like rainbows on water, even though there’s no wind, and just your smile is enough to make the nighttime all bright and glowy! I could stare at you forever, but Twilight says staring is rude.

Still, she’s staring at you too, isn’t she? Looking deep into your too-perfect-to-be-really-real eyes, watching the corners of your lips curl upwards, hearing you laugh, in your feathery embrace… oh. I guess it’s a little silly to hope that you’d do the same for me, isn’t it?

You’re turning, and I want to run. Did I make a whine? I hope I didn’t. Maybe the sun was just in your eyes. Can the sun even be in your eyes, if you are the sun? I’m going to say yes, just to feel a little bit better. Hi. Do you want a cupcake, Princess? They’re super-duper yumdelicious!

Are you just taking one to make me feel better? I saw you with your wing around Twilight. I... I knew it. You two are sweet together. Oh, and Twilight looks all sad now, and she’s staring at me. I hope it’s not because she thinks I’m intruding! I didn't mean to interrupt, I promise! I just made some cupcakes to share, and- was that a laugh?

Oh, sweet... well, you! You’re smiling! And you seem so happy right now. I wish I could freeze this moment forever, and replay it every day, for the rest of my life!

What?

Wait, I think I’m hearing things.

Could you repeat that?

You… you just said… that can’t be right, it’s too good to be true! Maybe you just meant it in a friendly way! Or, maybe you were just saying that to the cupcakes. I didn’t know my baking was so good, you’d tell it that you loved it.

You’re leaning in. Your eyes are all sparkly, did you know? I guess they’re kind of purple-ish pink. Does that mean that purple is your favorite color? Oh, what am I saying! Just because it’s your eye color doesn’t mean that it’s your favorite! My eyes are blue, but that doesn’t mean blue is the best! The best color, of course, is whatever color you like!

I- oh!

Time feels like it’s stopping. I don't really know what to say. Did you mean to do that? I’ve never been kissed before.

What’s your favorite color? Wait, that isn’t the first thing I should say! Silly Pinkie! I take it back! I love you too! And I think you’re perfect and-

Pink? You like… pink? But I’m pink! You… that wasn’t a mistake then, was it? You really… love me back?

Oh wow! I can’t believe this is happening! Even Twilight is smiling at me! Oh, thank you, Twilight! You saw the whole thing and you’re grinning so it must be really real! She loves me back! She said so, herself! I’m bouncing, I’m prancing, I’m jumping around! I can’t help it! This is wonderful! It’s like a dream come true!

I love you too, Princess Celestia! I love you, I love you, I love you! I’ll remember this moment forever!

You don’t have to go right away, right? Will you watch the sunset with me? It’s really pretty!

You have to talk to Twilight for a second? Okay! She does seem a little down, and she’s not allowed to be a sad McGrumpypants today! It’s Sun-Day! Hey, I’ll be right outside! This is the most wonderfulest day in the history of forever!


“Every day? Don’t you think it’s a bit excessive?”

“I know what you’re thinking, Twilight, but it isn’t really that bad. I love her, and seeing her happy like this… wouldn’t everypony feel lucky to get to relive this?”

“It’s just… sad. I know you said you could do this forever, and technically you can, but…”

“My dear Twilight, you don’t have to be here if you don’t want to. We can meet somewhere else if it’s truly bothering you.”

“That isn’t what I mean! It’s just… okay, first of all, all those sweets can’t be good for you, immortal or not! And second of all, you can skip a day or two and she won’t even notice, and it's not like she'll remember in the long run anyway! I know this is taking a toll on you, and maybe you should consider taking a break.”

“I know they aren’t healthy, but she does make the best treats I’ve ever tasted, and that’s speaking from thousands of years of experience. And it isn't about the sweets, it's about seeing her happy like this. And even if you’re right, I couldn’t bear to disappoint her, even for a single day. I love her, Twilight, and she loves me back, and sometimes, that’s all that really matters.”

Author's Note:

Every day is Sun-day


Thank you to my wonderful patrons for giving me the motivation to write! I am forever in your debt! If you'd like to join my Patreon and receive exclusive sneak-peeks and snippets, plus other cool rewards, you can do that here!

Comments ( 32 )

:pinkiesad2: That was.. beautiful :) What a Sun-day indeed. :)

... I didn't look at the tags. I wasn't ready for feels. I REALLY wasn't ready for feels.

8759633
Thank you! I'm so happy some ponies enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and commenting! ♥

8759719
I have made somepony have all the feels. My work here is done! :coolphoto:
Thanks for reading on! I take it as a compliment!

8759772
... I want to clarify something, without seeming like a jerk. While,bthis story was, in fact, spectacularly written, I personally was not hit with feels. However, I know for a fact that if I were more susceptible to the written word, I WOULD have. It caught me off-guard and ALMOST made me have feels, which is equally impressive. Please don't take this negatively, I still think it was amazing. This was probably an unnecessary comment, but I always feel the need to correct this sort of thing.

8759872
I am not insulted that every reader isn't hit with feels, don't you worry! I'm glad you liked it nonetheless. You brighten my day! Thank you so much for reading! ♥

8759883
No problem. Thank you for not taking that as a rude comment to make a pointless correction.

I love this, but I'm sort of confused with the last part with Tia and Twi talking. Like why Twilight is upset. (I feel dumb btw)

8760369
Click the link on the Author's note

:fluttercry:

8760369
I've included hints in the author's notes. They're linked~ :twilightsmile:

8760404
(There are 4 different links~ :twilightblush:)

8760405
Lol. I was so confused whe I realized each of the words is a different link. I thought it's only one.

8760410
Ah ok thanks!

8760410
Oh. Ooooh. Oh... Wow, that just makes it 10 times more heartstring pulling than my first thoughts about it.

Damn... That all i can say.
Little details like the tired guards...

Oooooh.

Wow.

*Sniff* :fluttercry:

I'M NOT CRYING!!! YOU'RE CRYING!!! :flutterrage:

I honestly hoped for something else, I can't say that it was bad, but I prefer somethinge else and hoped to see them actually talk more.

Beautiful story, cuteling :twilightsmile: :heart:

MY HEART. WHY MUST YOU SHATTER MY HEART?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I loved this. I now ship Pinkielestia, and its thanks to you and its beautiful. This is also the only story of your's where, in my head, I'm going to mentally add a headcanon. That some day they cure Pinkie, and they get to live happily forever. Because those feels are too real, too good, that I legitimately feel so much for them that I feel they deserve that happiness. If that's not an example of incredibly good writing, I don't know what is. I didn't actually see the twist coming until it really hit, but looking back at it I saw a lot of the little details and hints that lead up to it, and holy crap that's good writing.

Okay, it wasn't enough to make me cry at least, but still well written. Keep it up! :D

Oh wow, this is adora--wait, what about every day? What's going on? *Clicks link*

...

...

:raritycry:

9150580
It reached me, and I'm speechless. Thank you for your kind review! It means more than you know. As a dignified author, I totally did not squeak in delight and read it over and over. Totally.

(And the messed-up interpretation of the treats line wasn't intended. It was more just Celestia trying to make light of a sad situation, for what had to be the hundredth time at least. Maybe it's to convince Twilight again that showing up every day isnt a bad idea, maybe it's intended to get a smile from Twilight, who watches it happen, maybe it's Celestia attempting to convince herself like when she repeats the reasons to herself every morning, steeling herself to be forgotten and found like she has so many times before...

Or, maybe it's just a dumb cake joke. It's up to you!)

Thanks again!

Wow. I love the style for Pinkie's perspective.

And the end. I admit I was confused until I clicked the first link, and wow. Now I realize so much of it was there in such great subtle ways. This was really well done.

Wow, this has been quite a story! Nicely written Pinkie, still a little random, but not excessively so and the (sad) romance of having a crush on someone you can probably never get is beautiful in her narrative. And then the link in the Author’s Note... it changes the whole story to something even deeper!

Interesting ship. Like how you wrote Pinkie Pie.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Oh my...

9647977
You... you read one of the stories I'm most proud of! I cannot believe it! I'm touched!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

9648559
I was surprised to see what else you've written.

I have definitely not been reading your best work before now. :B

9649032
Yeah, you managed to read the work I was least proud of... heh.
I won't pretend I'm the best writer out there, but I'm still so proud of a few stories, this being one of them!
Thank you for giving my writing another chance.

It seems I never actually gave you a review notification here last year. Now, at last, fixed! Anyway: I was impressed by the first half of this, with Pinkie's voicing very good, something vital for a first-person fic. A little by-the-numbers after Twilight turns up, and I'm not a fan of external links (partly because I often read fics offline!) but I ended wondering about Celestia's judgement. Solid stuff, and easily upvote-worthy. So here, at last, you are! :twilightsmile:

10193443
Thank you for the kind review! I'll take it being "above average" any day!

And wow, yeah, you have an excellent point about links not being available offline. I hadn't even thought of that. (Now I feel like a jerk, whoops... I read fanfic offline too!) I really should think up a way to remedy that... or add a second chapter with a bit more explanation. Hmm...

10193534
You're very welcome. I think of it as more "good" than simply "above average". It was how you wrote Pinkie that ticked it up, from what I remember. :pinkiesmile:

Login or register to comment