• Published 24th Feb 2018
  • 4,874 Views, 418 Comments

Sunset Shimmer vs Schadenfreude - Daemon McRae



In preparing for the Fall Formal as Chairman of its planning committee, Sunset Shimmer meets her greatest opponent yet: Schadenfreude. Her co-chairman.

  • ...
9
 418
 4,874

There's the Wind-up...

Dealing with Schaden’s fishy puns all lunch period had left a bad taste in Sunset’s mouth, but the rest of the day seemed, gracefully, to be without incident. Even the one class she had with Schaden in the afternoon was relatively uneventful, as they quietly worked in their notebooks, filling the time with the repetitive busywork of solving math problems one after another. Then the final bell rang, and she closed her math text with a quiet thud. Most students were excited to be done with the first day of the week, rushing either home or to class, Sunset had other plans. As much as she would love to go straight home and spend time with Princess Twilight, she had obligations to fulfill.

Namely, the Planning Committee meeting.

The hall leading to their meeting room looked much like every other, a simple taupe decorated in random bursts by fliers and posters. The door, however, had transformed intself into a party-loving beast. Which was an eventuality if someone let Pinkie Pie spend too much time unsupervised in the same space. Balloons floated in the air, tacked to the door frame, while a large collage on the door itself bore the legend ‘Super Awesome Mega Party Planning Party! PARTY!’ Sunset chuckled to herself as she opened the door, only to have all mirth ripped away at the sight before her.

For once, it seemed, the yelling wasn’t Freude’s fault. Instead, Lyra and Pinkie Pie seemed to be in a heated discussion with Pixel Pizzazz and Bon-Bon about… something.

“No way!” Pixel barked, leaning forward on the table with both hands. “We are not playing some sappy kiddie music at the biggest dance of the year!”

Pinkie Pie huffed cutely. “It’s not ‘kiddie music’! It’s the Chicken Dance! Literally every dance EVER has had the Chicken Dance for a bajillion hijillion years!”

Bon-Bon looked across the table sith a stern expression. “The Chicken Dance is literally the definition of ‘kiddie music’. We’re not kids we’re teenagers!”

Schaden coughed politely, and read aloud from his phone: “Kid, noun. A child or young person. Synonyms: child, youngster, minor, juvenile, teenager.”

Bon-Bon redirected her scathing glare to the Co-Chairman. “Thank you, Schadenfreude,” she said in an exasperated tone.

Schaden nodded with a smile, and turned his attention to Sunset, so far the only person to have done so. “I’m helping!” he said gleefully.

Shimmer’s head drooped as the rest of the table noticed her. “I see that, Schaden. Girls, what the hell?”

Lyra stared at her intensely, occasionally glancing sideways at her fellow committee members with a rather passionate scowl. “These… snooty-tooties seem to think they’re too GOOD for the Chicken Dance!”

“Yes, I caught that. What, exactly, is the problem with having one song in a three-hour playlist be something silly?” she asked, directing her exhausted gaze to Pixel and Bon’s side of the table.

“Because it’s a formal affair! It’s in the title!. Fall FORMAL,” Pizzazz enunciated the word dramatically, not tearing her eyes from the staring contest she seemed to be having with Pinkie Pie.

“That’s also a valid point. Look,” she said, putting her own hands on the table. “I get that you guys all have different taste in music. And yes, the Chicken Dance is a totally childish song. HOWEVER,” she added sternly, at rising protests from Lyra and Pinkie, “We also have to remember that the Fall Formal is open not just to High Schoolers, but the eighth graders as well. We’re expected to play at least something immature. And besides. Who the hell here doesn’t want to watch Scootaloo to the Dance again this year?”

There was a brief pause, then the room dissolved into a fit of giggles. Given the events of the last Formal, Scottaloo’s absolutely spot-on and over-enthusiastic rendition of the Chicken Dance was easily the highlight of the dance last year. “On the other hand, I think we have a lot more pressing matters than a three-minute song in a three-hour event,” Sunset said with some finality, giving a pointed look at Pixel and Bon-Bon, the former of which begrudgingly leaned back and sat in her chair.

Pinkie and Lyra high-fived each other, earning a pointed look from their Chairman until they, too, sat down. Finally, she looked to her co-chairman.

“Oh god, I know I’m going to regret asking, but what, exactly, are you doing, Schaden?” Sunset asked, finally walking around the room and taking her seat at the head of the table.

The only boy in the room shrugged. “Not much. Got the call back from the Pier, they were ok with the rental date we asked, and said they could even give us a discount. You know, ‘for the kids’,” he added, with a knowing grin to Pixel.

“That’s great!” Sunset exclaimed, happy to hear some progress. Now that they had a venue, they could make more solid decisions about the menu, playlist, entry costs, and a host of other decisions they’d had to put on hold. “How much are they asking?”

Schaden said a number, and Sunset saw a light in a dark tunnel. “H-how much?” He said the number again, and angels rang trumpets and bells in a steadily growing orchestra. Sunset could feel her body and spirit separating in a longing gesture. “H-how the hell are we going to afford that?! That’s our entire budget!”

She wished immediately that she hadn’t asked. “I believe, Sunset, that they’re called ‘fundraisers’,” Schaden answered with a devilish grin.