• Published 26th Feb 2018
  • 2,622 Views, 126 Comments

Blazing a Trail to the Past. - Daylight_Dreamer



After a freak accident, I wound up in equestria with a Jeep. Offroading where nobodys driven before. Or am I?

  • ...
6
 126
 2,622

PreviousChapters Next
6- So he's a carpenter of sorts. Shocking.

Sawdust was a brown earth pony with a spiked silver mane that resembled a section of a circular-saw blade when in silhouette. I noticed he had a tattoo of a handheld wood planer on his flank. I figured he must really like woodworking. With a name like Sawdust, I wasn't surprised.

I noticed then that Twilight had a sort of mystic star design on her flank. Knowing her to be a very magical pony, I figured getting a tattoo of your interest must be a culture thing here. It didn't seem important at the time, so I didn't ask.

Sawdust barely tried to cover a yawn as he walked in rubbing his eye, "Sawdust Woodsmith at your service. What can I do for you at this hour your highness?"

Twilight put a hoof to her face. "Sawdust, you know I don't like being called that."

"I also know you’re a princess," He retorted, "it's customary, and you know I'm old fashioned, and for that matter, I don't like being pulled out of bed by a frantic dragon."

"Sorry about that," Twilight snickered, "Spike can go overboard, but I didn't think you would want to miss this chance, you may even want to get Slag, too. I wasn't going to send Spike to bother him after last time."

"Yea," Sawdust chuckled, "He may still be up. Doesn't mean he wants to be bothered. So what’s the big idea then?"

"My new friend here needs help retrieving some items." She motioned to me.

Sawdust finally stopped rubbing his eye and looked my way. Focusing in on me, he jumped back a little.

"I'm sure you noticed his vehicle outside," Twilight giggled.

"Th-th-th-that wasn't a mirage?" Sawdust was trying to contain himself, I couldn't tell for the life of me if he was scared or excited.

"I told you if one showed up in Equestria you would be the first to know," Twilight teased, "you'll have to talk to... I can't believe this but I never got your name," She looked at me ashamed, "Some princess of friendship I am."

"I don't blame you for putting that on a back burner, all things considered," I assured her, "the name’s Jerry Blade."

She seemed a little surprised at that, I chalked it up to it not being a name like Sandwichsmith or Meat Crafter, being that I worked at a restaurant. "Anyway, you'll have to talk to him if you want a closer look."

He looked at me and I could already feel it coming. I really didn't want to see a stallion beg on my first night here.

"We can talk about that when we have the rest of the stuff from my world collected," I took my stance right off, "and I'll tell you now if that thing gets a scratch that I didn't put there, ponies will pay dearly." I didn't realize how stern my voice had gotten. He was almost cowering. "Sorry," I relented, "it was my dad's jeep, I'm protective."

He sighed in apparent relief, "That's actually good to know. Trust me, if you want to keep it in good shape, you want Slag and myself helping out."

"Anyway," I decided to get to the task at hand, "How familiar are you with trailers?"

"Not at all," Sawdust admitted, "enlighten me."

"When we humans want to carry more than our vehicle can hold, we attach something to it like attaching a cart to a pony, only it takes a different kind of hitch." I tried to explain. "Basically, what we're getting is a trailer that needs a hitch. It will be a lot easier if we can attach one and just hook it to my jeep."

"Sounds like a simple concept, I have built wagons that hook together for the Apple family" Sawdust rubbed his chin. "we should get my brother Slag tho, he's the Metalcrafter, Not just by name either."

I was a little taken aback that his name was Woodsmith but his metalworking brother wasn't Blacksmith. The bigger wonder was why the last names weren't the same, but I had a friend with a brother like that. I knew one reason it could be and that it was rude to ask about right off. I wondered tho, what parents-especially if there were three parents involved-would name their kids after what falls to the floor when they work?

"Sounds like a good idea," I said, "Shall we get going?"

"We should," He agreed, "We still may get to Slag's place by midnight, he's more open to company before that."

"Once the job is done you can get back to bed," Twilight told Sawdust before looking at me, "you should come back here, by then I'll have a bed figured out for you."

"Sounds good," I said, "Thanks for everything Princess."

"Please," She smiled, "Call me Twilight. I know I'm a princess, I don't need to be reminded. My name is Twilight Sparkle, that's what my friends call me."

"Farewell Twilight, and thank you for thinking of Sawdust and Slag for your unique crafting needs." Sawdust teased his friend, "We better get going, Slag would be pissed if he's left out, and you do NOT want to bother him after midnight. If he's asleep we'll never wake him. If he's awake..." Sawdust cringed at his own thought, "Let's just go."

PreviousChapters Next