• Published 26th Feb 2018
  • 2,608 Views, 126 Comments

Blazing a Trail to the Past. - Daylight_Dreamer



After a freak accident, I wound up in equestria with a Jeep. Offroading where nobodys driven before. Or am I?

  • ...
6
 126
 2,608

PreviousChapters Next
39- Restricted knowledge.

Dear Princess Celestia,

It has come to my attention that you are in possession of a spellbook authored by one Daylight Dreamer. I wish to request access to it. As well as any materials and knowledge you may convey to help in my research.

I am anxiously awaiting your response.

You're humble subject, Jerry Blade
--
I hate writing messages, I never know what to say. So I do my big word thing even tho I could just stop and think. Does sound smart though, and official. I was talking to the ruler of the land.

The journal flashed as soon as the ink melted. The message only read. 'I'm sorry.' It was not in neat hoofwriting either.

I didn't know what to think. Then there was a knock at the door.

I walked over to answer it and found none other than Celestia bowing her head, with tears in her eyes.

"What's this all about?" I asked.

"I'm sorry, I know you wanted me to, but I couldn't destroy your books," she said, "I had to keep them for myself, and I can‘t keep pretending I don't know who you are. You and you're friends were the only ponies that had Equestria's best interests in mind while everypony else fought over who didn't," she threw her hooves around me. "Thank you, you saved my kingdom from the midst of turmoil. I owe you so much more than access to the restricted section. Of course, you can read all your old books."

"You knew all along?" I asked.

"Unlike everypony else alive," Celestia let me go and bowed her head again, "I was there. I am the pony that enchanted the crystal that held your soul until Jeremy and his wife conceived a child."

"So that's how that worked," I said. I had pretty much figured that out, aside from who would have that kind of magic. It didn't sound like a potion thing. I also had a feeling I knew what was really on the torn out page of Kizzy's book.

"It was a rather complicated spell," she said, "I am glad it worked properly. I would be happy to bring you to the Canterlot library right away, but all I have are books you wanted to be destroyed, I have a feeling you are looking for something else."

"I am, but I'd still like to look at that," I looked at Gilda who was standing in the entryway to the kitchen, "Would you mind making sure Scootaloo eats before drinking that orange potion? I need to check something."

"Funny you should ask," Gilda laughed, "That's exactly why I made scones. You should take a couple for the road."

She held out a tray of freshly cooled griffin scones. I took a couple and she held it over to Celestia.

"Are these the famous griffin scones I've heard about?" Celestia asked, "Thank you, they look lovely."

Gilda blushed hardcore, covering her face with the now empty tray, "Thank you, Now go ahead and check what you gotta check, Dweeb, but I'm gonna make you lie down when you get back. I don't want you stressing yourself into a panic attack."

"Thanks, babe," I said. She gave me a big smile just as Celestia reached out a hoof and we poofed away.
-
I felt a little motion sick when I appeared in the library.

Celestia lead me to a bookshelf with two books on it that looked like her and Luna's cutie marks.

"This is the only way into the restricted section," Celestia explained, I would not be bringing you here if I did not already have Luna's blessing. Normally she would have to be here to help open the lock, but the spell is not totally specific to us. In fact, any two 'key-holders' can open it. Normally, there are only two, but she had been on the moon for a few hundred years when this castle was built. She was not the first and I never bothered revoking his key."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"Could you touch that book for me," She asked.

I reached out and touched the book with Luna's cutie mark, it began to glow. Celestia touched her own book and the bookshelf swung open revealing a secret cavern filled with books, scrolls, leaflets, propaganda, and sedition of all kinds.

"With the exception of the few books moved from our old castle. Many of the first books placed in here were done so as part of your group's plan. So it only seemed right to have you stand in as the other key holder while I could," Celestia explained, "The shelves containing your books are over here."

"Shelves?" I asked amazed, "Twilight only had a couple! I assumed there were only a couple more."

"You were actually a rather prolific author of potion and healing books. It was your passion. Twilight was hoping for insight on you personally, recipe and first aid books do not tell that story. She wasn't even going to take any home until I made a recommendation and pointed out the value of learning what kind of potions you were making."

"So you knew I could get Scootaloo flying?" I asked.

"I did," Celestia giggled, "I also knew you needed a chance to prove who you still are, to yourself, and everypony, and griffin, that needed to know. They cannot support you properly if they have doubts, and it's hard not to doubt something so extreme."

"I guess that makes sense," I said, "It all worked out anyway, but I would have liked to see Zecora pull it off."

"That is how you have always been," she smiled, "you get your glory from seeing the seeds you planted flourish, and that seed has been long untended. I assure you she would have done beautifully."

"Yea," I said, "I'm starting to wonder how I'm supposed to feel about some of those seeds."

"Whatever do you mean?" Celestia asked, "We are alone if you feel the need to talk. I am the only pony who fully comprehends your situation, and even I cannot imagine what is going through your head."

I took a deep breath, "It's just...."

"This is about Feather, isn't it?" she asked.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"You lived thirty years longer than her," Celestia looked at me with knowing eyes, "but never moved on past that day," she put a hoof around me, "all she ever wanted was to make you happy. So do her a favor and don't let her stop you now."

"Thank you," I said, then I figured I better get to it. Gilda was waiting. "Do you have a copy of Advanced Spellcraft for the Elite Potion Maker?"

"I do," She said, "Top shelf, far left." She pointed to a shelf that was easily twenty feet high and five feet wide.

"Did I write all these?" I asked.

"You wrote the top three shelves," Celestia answered, "The rest of them were authored by your students."

"Do you have a ladder," I asked.

"Oh," she laughed, "excuse me, up until now everypony allowed in here had wings or magic." she used her magic to retrieve the requested book.

It was an exact duplicate of the one Zecora had, except that it was in pristine condition. I immediately turned to the middle, I knew what page I wanted.

"No fucking shit?" I mumbled as I read.

"Did you find the answer you needed?" Celestia asked.

"Not the one I needed," I said, "not even one I wanted," I turned the book so she could read it, "but I had to know."

The top of the page read, 'Opening a Portal to Another Dimension'.

"Are you saying you wish to go back?" She asked.

"No," I said, "I had planned for that spell to be destroyed. So I couldn't back out now, and wouldn't have to choose later. Not to mention how dangerous a spell like this can be. I just had to know. I have more of a family now than I left there."

"I am happy to hear that you are back to stay," Celestia smiled, "do not hesitate to ask my help. I know better than anypony how much you deserve to retire this time around."

"Speaking of taking it easy," I laughed, "Gilda is going to kill me if I don't, I better get back."

"It sounds as though she is a good match for you, but before you go," Celestia floated a book from one of the lower shelves, "I honestly don't think this book belongs in here. As long as you agree, it would be an amazing tool for her career in sports medicine."

The title of the book was 'Healing Injured Pegasai, Everything you need to know to keep a flyer in fighting form. By Sculptured Stone.'

"Wasn't Sculptured Stone a unicorn?" I asked.

"He was," Celestia confirmed, "It was never like him to care about such things. If you were injured, he was there to help. Be it friend or foe, his chivalry was legendary."

I was drawn into a daydream before I could respond.
---
I was sitting at a desk feeling super nervous. I learned potions from a bunch of old books and trial and error. Now I had to teach it. At least I didn't have to fly on the front lines anymore, and I could do what I loved.

However, I felt as though I abandoned my friends. My only real consolation was that Easy Glider had been promoted to commander. He wasn't on attack runs anymore either. Still, I wanted to be there.

This was the deal if I wanted to keep my position in the Wonderbolts, and I could do a lot more good with it, than without it. I had to join the new program to keep our soldiers alive. Teaching my own healing skills to whoever will join the new medical unit. They wouldn't be Wonderbolts themselves, so I was free to teach every student that was interested, not just pegasi. Celestia's orders were to spread as much healing knowledge as possible, so I was hoping for students that could teach.

I looked across my new classroom and was pleased to see I at least only had four students, I wasn't ready for a big turnout just yet.

A grey unicorn stallion with a spiked silver mane approached my desk.

"Mr. Dreamer," He said, "I am honored to meet the Wonderbolt brave enough to study potions, I am Sculptured Stone, I myself was nearly disowned by my father for trying to learn potions. He believes a unicorn aught to stick to magic, but it has its limits, I know potions do as well..."

"You are correct about that," I said, "I have yet to find a potion that can locate internal bleeding, or see broken bones, but I bet a unicorn healer like you can do both easily."

"This is true," He confirmed, "That leads to my question. If I can master potions as well as I can use my healing magic, hypothetically... What would my limitations be?"

I pondered that for only a moment before saying, "Your ability to dream."
---
"Are you OK," Celestia asked when I came to.

"Yea," I said, "I've been having some crazy daydreams and they're getting more vivid,"

"What do you see in them?" Celestia asked.

"As best as I can tell its memories of my old life," I said, "This time it was meeting Sculptured Stone."

"I am only a little surprised," Celestia said, "You were known to have prophetic visions in your old life, so it makes sense that this is how your old memories are presenting themselves."

"I guess that makes sense," I said, "At any rate, I do agree with you. Sculptured Stone was the best healer and teacher around in a time when healers were desperately needed. His work is transcendent. Gilda will only do good with this. I'll tell her you wanted her to have it."

"I do not need credit," she said, "These are your old books after all. You gave them to me after sorting out the ones for the Zebra family. You left out the ones that you didn't feel belonged in a peaceful Equestria. That is what you see before you."
-
"You're finally back, it's about time," I got the impression that was Gilda's way of saying she was worried about me.

"I got you something," I said.

"Why would you do that?" she asked, "I thought you already got the idea. I don't like being given things."

"I was actually hoping you would give me the honor," I held out the book I had gotten from Celestia, "of learning from one of my best students. Trust me. If you're on duty during a race, and there's an accident, you won't want to be far from this book."

She looked the book over, reading the title out loud, "Healing Injured Pegasai, Everything you need to know to keep a flyer in fighting form." She seemed to roll this around, "Sounds useful. Thanks."

"Don't mention it," I said, "Now I better lay down or my griffin-friend is gonna kill me."

Gilda laughed, "I may as well join you, it is late. We all have a big day tomorrow, I hope you don't mind I told Scootaloo she could take the day off from school. It's not like she really needs permission."

"Wait," I didn't know what she was talking about, "What's tomorrow?"

"Rainbow said she would get me a tour of Wonderbolt's HQ." Gilda answered, "I already planned to take Scootaloo, but now that we know that you can walk on clouds. I figured you would want to see it for yourself."

"Awesome," I said, "I can't wait."

"Good," she said, "because Rainbow Dash will be here to pick Scootaloo up at dawn. I figured we could wait til about 8 to give them time together."

"Yea," I teased, "give them time together."

Gilda blushed, "Shut up, Dweeb!"

"I better try and get some sleep," I said, "Sounds like a big day."

"Oh, and you're gonna like this. Follow me," Gilda lead me to the bedroom.

I couldn't believe my eyes, Gilda just went and did it before I could say a thing about what I wanted.

Standing in my bedroom, right before my very eyes. Gilda presented me, with my very own cloud bed! I was speechless.

"Well?" Gilda asked, "Do you like it? I always wanted one, but my hut wasn't worth putting one in."

I dropped to my knees and hugged her, "I love it. I can't wait to cuddle in it."

Gilda whispered in my ear, "Me neither, Dweeb. So, why are we waiting?" She sprung to the bed dragging me with her.

PreviousChapters Next