• Published 26th Feb 2018
  • 2,622 Views, 126 Comments

Blazing a Trail to the Past. - Daylight_Dreamer



After a freak accident, I wound up in equestria with a Jeep. Offroading where nobodys driven before. Or am I?

  • ...
6
 126
 2,622

PreviousChapters Next
33- A little stress relief

I got back home from Zecoras just as the sun was going down. I went to open the door but remembered I had locked it on the way out to test Scootaloo's key. I reached into my pocket to grab my own key only to realize I left it on the table inside. I cursed myself for not checking before giving Scootaloo hers or at least putting mine on the jeep key ring. I never forget that.

I tried knocking on the door but Scootaloo had left a note explaining that she was staying with Sweetie for a sleepover. I couldn't think of anything better to do so I got in my jeep and drove to the edge of the woods near the grave markers I had found.

I pointed every light on that Jeep-search, fog, and headlights-towards where I knew they were, but it was still a little dark with all the trees in the way. I wasn't too worried about manticores with my trusty .357 under the seat, but I had to see it coming.

Then I remembered that the chain-saw was still in the back of the jeep. I only had enough gas to clear a relatively small patch of trees, but the gravestones were right next to each other, and not set in very far. I could scarcely think of a better use for it.

I cleared everything around the graves so they were properly visible. Then I figured I should finish clearing the moss from Jerry's. That's when I noticed that on the back was a carving of the American flag above the words, 'United States Army'.

I vaguely remembered my father talking about an army buddy named Jerry that he named me after, but his last name was Sharp. So I didn't think it was him.

I knew the answer was in the journals I already possessed half of-and Scootaloo had another-but I wasn't ready to read them. I still had over a week to figure it out and my head hurt already. I just sat cross-legged behind the headstones and said a little prayer. Not sure if god pays attention to Equestria, but it made me feel better.

I heard somepony trotting up so I looked to see Applejack with a curious look on her face.

"What the hay are ya doing?" She asked as she passed the Jeep, "You got these woods lit up brighter than... Sugarcube? Are you OK?"

I hadn't even realized I was crying. I wasn't sure what to say. I just sat still, letting her get closer and see the graves.

"What are these?" She read the first one, "but Apple Seed and the Protectors were just a legend. What's this one say?" She read Jerry's and her eyes went wide, "Is that... you?"

"No," I said, "my grave is somewhere else, I'm just paying respects to a couple old friends."

"Have you lost your marbles," she asked, "just what is that supposed ta mean?"

"It turns out," I sighed, considering every word as I said it, "Apple Bloom was more successful than it initially appeared in her attempt to summon Daylight Dreamer..." I wasn't sure how I was speaking so clearly, but I've always liked using big words when I'm unsure how to put something, they sound smart but they really just give you more time to think of the next one.

"What're you sayin'?" she asked giving me a sideways look.

I took a deep breath, "I'm saying... she did it," I really didn't know what to say. How do you explain something so fucked up that you don't believe it even after seeing it? Then it hit me, the answer to a totally different question that had plagued me since the first night, "But she used too much heart's desire."

"What?" She was confused.

"When your sister mixed the potion for the spell to summon me," I explained, "she used too much heart's desire. It's the same flower that gave her the cutie pox, remember. The spell took on a life of its own, and the only thing spells desire is energy. The only energy it could latch on to... was hers. That's why I recommended having a unicorn perform a protection spell. Besides that, she summoned me flawlessly. You should be proud of her."

"So yer trying ta say that you're Daylight Dreamer?" she asked. The look on her face was a mixture of concern and shock, tinged with confusion.

"I was, in a past life," I said, "I go by Jerry now. But I was born almost seven centuries ago and given that name by my pony parents."

"But, how are you a human then?" she asked, "and how did you live that long?"

"I'm still trying to figure that out," I said, "I have a feeling you and the other elements will be among the first to know."

"But..." Applejack was still looking over the grave markers, "We only owned this farm since Granny was a youngin. She may be old, but she ain't hundreds of years old."

"Didn't Celestia lead them here though?" I asked.

"That's true," she said, "why?"

"If there's a pony alive that knew these graves were in these woods," I said, "it's her." Guess at least I knew how Celestia knew I wasn't a vegetarian. She knew that about humans before Sunset was even born.

"Ah bet you could use a drink," she said, "Ah know ah could."

"Fair enough," I said. I did want to try Apple family cider.
--
Apparently, Big Mac was staying at Sugar Belle's. So with Granny still at Golden Delicious' and the Crusaders having a sleepover. We had the farmhouse to ourselves. Just me, Applejack and an endless supply of cider. If I was trying not to think. This situation was proof that I succeeded.

"Sho yer saying," Applejack slurred, "Zecora knew all along, and she didn't tell nopony?"

"I guess so," I said, "I think the bat-ponies may have talked to her before me. She seemed to have pieced a lot of it together. Enough about that, I need a break from thinking about it." I downed my last drink.

"Let me go get some more," Applejack said, "Ah'll be right back."

"Alright," I said.

She slipped into another room and was gone a little longer than I expected. When she got back she only stuck her head in at first, I was too drunk to think anything of it.

"Hey Sugarcube," she said, "ah know a way to take yer mind off things."

"What's that?" I asked, barely getting suspicious.

"Ah still have yet to thank you properly," she stepped into the room and my jaw dropped.

If Applejack was ever going to be attractive to me, it was now. She was wearing a red plaid miniskirt that was just ruffled enough to ride on her flank and a matching button-up shirt, tied at the bottom rather than buttoned. She stood up on her hind legs and leaned on the door frame highlighting just how human her form actually was. She held out a harness and riding crop with her free hoof.

"Care to take this pony for a ride?" she asked giving her best bedroom eyes.

It was tempting. Extremely tempting, but I didn't feel that way about her and I didn't want to mess up a good friendship.

"I appreciate the offer," I said, "but your too good a friend to just fuck, and I don't see it going any further."

"Ah already know that," she assured me as she set the harness and crop down and resumed her natural stance to walk over to me. She then stood back up and gently placed her hoof on my cheek, "but you are a male. If your anything like a stallion, you have needs. Ah, happen to know they haven't been met the whole time you've been here."

"You're not wrong," I said, I hadn't exactly been in Equestria all that long, but it's not like my ex-wife had been putting out. It had been months. Still, I just sighed, "but it's just that... I can't. I'm sorry."

I wasn't really sure why at this point. She was a consenting adult, I was an adult. I just couldn't get the other part right. Why not? Hell, I just found out I'm even the reincarnation of a pony myself, and I was just drunk enough to ride on the thought that technically, I was still a pony. The potion may be temporary, but it didn't lie. Something else was in the way. It took a woman to figure it out.

"Your in love with another pony aren't you?" she asked.

I thought about that. She was right. Except for one thing... Gilda isn't a pony. "Close," I said, "But I'm not into vegetarians," I knew it was a bad time for a joke, but I wasn't exactly trying to talk my way into her bed and I had to break the tension somehow, "If its all the same to you, I think I'll sleep in my jeep."

"Ah won't stop you," she said, "but there are three open beds here and none of the owners would mind."

"I just need to be alone," I said, "thank you for everything. You're a good friend."

"Alright," she said, "ah suppose ah should get to bed. Ah'll see ya later."

"Yea later," I said looking her in the eye before turning away.

"Just one more thing," Applejack stopped me before I got to the door.

"What's that?" I asked.

She took a deep breath, clearly building up her nerve to say what was on her mind, "Ah saw this comin' since the first time she stopped by to bring you food. Ah just wanna say. Gilda has had a hard run, all griffins do. Yet she has a work ethic that makes me feel lazy and refuses to take any handouts. If she returns your feelings..." She was holding back a tear at the thought that I did not return her own, "Ah don't really have ta say it," she hung her head, "If ah did, you wouldn't be walking out yet. Ah hope she feels the same. If ah can't have you... Well, ah'm just glad it's not Rainbow Dash. Ah'd never hear the end of it."

"And that's exactly why I'm not into her," I laughed nervously. Applejack joined.

"Just take care of her," Applejack sighed, "and yourself."
---
It was well past midnight when I got back to the cabin. Without thinking I tried the front door and it swung open. I was momentarily surprised but figured Scootaloo was home early.

Walking in I started the fireplace to warm it up and get a little light. I sat in my chair and grabbed my pipe. I was about to pack it when I heard a cough and realized Gilda was lying on the couch. She looked up at me and blushed.

"I hope you don't mind I let myself in. I saw your key on the table so I left it open for you." she sat up, "I just had to see you."

"It's cool," I said, "I'm actually glad I don't have to wait until Scootaloo gets back."

"Yea," she said, "I saw she had her stuff in the spare room, that's why I laid on the couch."

"So is it Grandpa Gruff again?" I asked.

"Not exactly," she said, "he's grumpy as ever." She looked down and blushed, covering her face, "but that's not what brought me here." She looked at me through her claws. She could not have been more adorable. I knew what brought her, and I couldn't have been happier about it.

"Well after this bowl I need some sleep," I said, "Scootaloo won't be back until tomorrow, so you can sleep in her bed if you want," I thought about what I was saying, and what I really wanted to say... "but I have another idea..."

I knew what I was thinking now. I wasn't ready to cross that line, but I didn't want to be alone for the rest of my life. I saw no further reason to delay the inevitable. I needed to hold someone and I had a feeling she felt the same.

PreviousChapters Next