• Published 26th Feb 2018
  • 2,622 Views, 126 Comments

Blazing a Trail to the Past. - Daylight_Dreamer



After a freak accident, I wound up in equestria with a Jeep. Offroading where nobodys driven before. Or am I?

  • ...
6
 126
 2,622

PreviousChapters Next
30- Lunch with Luna.

I stayed up until midnight playing cards with Scootaloo. She didn't talk much but made a point to thank me for everything. She went to bed first but I just put the cards away and headed for my own bed.
---
I woke up in the middle of the night to a knock on the bedroom door. I put pants on to answer it and found Scootaloo with tears welling in her eyes.

"I had a bad dream," She said, "I didn't want to wake you up, but Luna seemed to think I should."

"What was it about?" I asked.

"My parents," She said, "I dreamed I found them, but they didn't want anything to do with me. They said they left me in Ponyville to get rid of me because I would never fly, and that's why they haven't found me themselves. I asked Luna why they did leave me in Ponyville. She said I should ask you."

I sighed and lead her in to sit next to me on the bed, "the first thing I want to say is that the ponies that know the truth, want to tell you, but they don't know how."

"Why would it be so hard to tell me about my parents?" She asked.

I gave her my best sympathetic look. I respected her too much to beat around the bush, "Because they passed away."

"What?" She asked as tears were beginning to streak down her cheeks, "They can't be..."

"I'm afraid so," I said, "The three of you were in an accident when you were little. Your wings were injured but you survived. They weren't so lucky."

"How do you know?" she asked.

"Twilight told me," I said, "in hopes, I would be able to break it to you gently."

"So..," she started full out crying, "So I'll never get to meet them."

"I'm afraid not," I said, "but I bet they would be very proud."

I may be a Christian, but I was already questioning that. I remember being told I'd see my friend in heaven when I was young. I can't say it was the best thing to hear. It really amounts to, 'you'll see them when you die too'.

"I I j-just," her crying turned to a bawl. I didn't know what to say. I just wrapped my arms around her and put her head to my chest.

"There there," I said, "I know, it's not fair. I wish I could make it right, but nobody can. Just know that I'm here for you now."

My mind was pulled back to the headstone and wondered 'for how long'. Was I really destined to leave these ponies? What could it really mean? Nothing on the show ever said traveling back in time was a good idea.

It didn't matter. I live in the now, and now I was tired.

"Are you OK?" I asked.

"I think so," she wiped the tears from her eyes, "do you think I could sleep in here?"

"OK," I said, "but don't get used to it."
---
The next morning went pretty well. I made breakfast and helped Scootaloo with her homework until about eleven.

Just as we were putting her books away someone knocked on the door. I was shocked to find a bat-pony outside.

"Greetings, I am Night Echo. It is an honor to meet you," He bowed, "The royal princess Luna of Equestria would like to invite the human Jerry Blade and the filly Scootaloo to lunch at the castle."

"Sounds great," I replied, "What day shall I write her in?"

"You see," he seemed afraid of my reaction, "the invitation is for today."

"I don't have time to get to Canterlot," I said confused.

"That's why she sent her carriage," he pointed behind him to Luna's chariot waiting out front, "my friends will be happy to give you a lift."

"Alright, I'll go along," I said, "Scootaloo? You in?" I was curious why Luna suddenly wanted to talk to both of us.

"I wouldn't want to disappoint the princess," she said, "sure."
---
Night Echo rode in the carriage as two more bat-ponies pulled us. We were at the castle in a half hour where a large group of bat-ponies was watching us from the yard. They gave us just enough room to land.

"Aren't you guys nocturnal?" I asked as we landed.

"We weren't about to sleep through this!" Night Echo said.

"What's the big deal anyway?" I asked.

"You are," was all he said.

"I don't get it," I said, but Night Echo remained silent.

Every bat-pony bowed as I walked by to meet Luna at the door. I felt deeply disturbed. I thought the pony admirers were annoying. These guys were about to kiss my feet.

Once I made it to the door Luna greeted me, "Thank you for coming on short notice. I hope my subjects didn't give you any trouble."

"No trouble at all," I said, "I'm just a little confused by all the bowing."

"I understand," she said, "but we can't blame them, they have been waiting for this a long time. They wouldn't even hear the idea of waiting until tonight. I must admit I am normally asleep at this hour."

"What are they waiting for?" I asked.

"Your arrival," she said, "I know not the reason, but my General Black Echo has prepared an explanation."

"Sounds good to me," I said, "when does it start?"

"Let us retire to the dining hall first," she said, "the chef has gone out of her way for this feast, let's not let it get cold."

"Good idea," I said, "I'm starving."
---
Luna sat at the head of the table and Scootaloo and I sat across from each other in front of her. The first course was a salad. I noticed an extra ingredient in mine, bacon bits. She really did go out of her way.

"There is one other reason you were brought here," Luna said, "Night Echo, my royal chauffeur is in possession of an heirloom of Scootaloo's family."

"Really?" Scootaloo asked, "My parent's left me something?"

"It is more of a legacy," she answered, "but yes. I am to understand Night Echo knew your father."

Scootaloo seemed to mull this over. Nobody said a word until the servers came out again.

The next course included mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. The ponies had some kind of dish containing daisies and daffodils, but my main course was a chicken tenderloin wrapped in bacon.

"So how did the chef know I'm not a vegetarian?" I asked.

"My sister spoke with her," Luna answered, "She says she learned it from Sunset Shimmer, but I do not remember her speaking of such things."

"Must have been before you came back," I said, "or in the journal."

"I could swear taking Twilight's crown was the first time she returned," Luna seemed to be trying to work it out herself more than explain it to me. I had a feeling I knew the answer but didn't dare speak it out loud.

"I guess it's not a big deal," I lied, this actually bothered me a lot. Had Celestia met me before? "This food is amazing though."

We finished the main course and the chocolate ice cream that was desert. The chef had even caramelized some brown sugar onto a couple of bacon strips and garnished mine with them. I was impressed.

As the dessert dishes were cleared a white earth pony mare came trotting in the room.

"I hope I am not intruding," she said in a French accent, "I am Pastry Cream. I made today's meal. I just had to make sure the food was to your liking. It is so rare that I get to work with a new ingredient. Even more so when I don't dare try it myself. Did I do well? That bacon has so many uses. I must admit, I was having fun."

"It was amazing!" I assured her, "I was going to ask if I could give my compliments. So thank you for coming out."

"Oh Monsieur," she covered her face with her hoof before waving it at me, "you are too kind. I am glad you enjoyed your meal. I hope to cook for you again." She gave a little curtsy before turning back to the kitchen.

"Now," Luna said, "I think it is time we call Black Echo in. I am as curious as you about what he has to say."

PreviousChapters Next