• Published 11th Mar 2018
  • 1,625 Views, 9 Comments

Time with Grand Pear Pear - Mirror Star



Apple Bloom spends the day with her Grad Pear Pear

  • ...
2
 9
 1,625

Chapter 1

At Proud Pear Farms, specifically the Pear Family house, Grand Pear is just waking up after his alarm clock. As he gets up, he looks at a photo of his daughter, Pear Butter and says good morning to it before heading downstairs to fix his breakfast. But before he could do anything else,someponyis knocking on the door and decides to go answer it.

Apple Bloom said after Grand Pear opened the door"Morning Grand Pear-Pear."

Grand Pear said as he gave his granddaughter a hug "Apple Bloom. Good Morning. How are you today?"

Apple Bloom said "I'm doing great today. What about you?"

Grand Pear said "I'm doing ok. I'm surprised to see here."

Apple Bloom explained "Well, since I don't have any Crusader duties with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, I thought I stop by and spend the day with you. Hope you're not too busy."

Grand Pear said "I'm not; I've always got time for you, Apple Bloom. Have you eaten yet?"

Apple Bloom said "No, I haven't."

Grand Pear said "In that case, I'll make you my special Pear Waffles."

Grand Pear started making the waffles while Apple Bloom helped set the table for breakfast. Grand Pear asked what her siblings and Granny Smith are doing. Apple Bloom explains that Applejack was summoned by the map today, Granny Smith is meeting with Goldie Delicious in Canterlot for two days, and Big Mac has a date with Sugar Belle.

As soon as the waffles were finished and the table was set, Grand Pear and Apple Bloom started to eat. The moment she took a bite into the waffle, her mouth started to water with joy.

Apple Bloom said after eating the "This is delicious."

Grand Pear said "I knew you'd like it. Although, I wish I had made you the more genuine Pear Waffles."

Apple Bloom asked "What's the difference?"

Grand Pear explained "Well, you had whip cream, the Pear Family syrup, salted oaks, cherries, and cinnamon."

Apple Bloom said "That's sounds really good. Can you show me how to make it next time too?"

Grand Pear said "Sure can; it's meant to be passed down from Pear to Pear at some point and you are half Pear."

Apple Bloom asked "Do you think mom would have passed down the recipe to me, Big Mac, andApplejack."

Grand Pear said "I'm sure she would have."

After they finished breakfast, Apple Bloom went with Grand Pear for a walk around the Pear orchard. He showed her some of his favorite trees that he always covered in blankets during the night; their names are Cornelius, Claudia, Barnaby, and James. As they passed a few more of the pear trees, Apple Bloom noticed a tree marked with what appeared to be her mother's cutie mark.

Apple Bloom asked walking up to one "Are these mom's trees?"

Grand Pear said "They are. She always marked her trees with her cutie mark. If I remember correctly, this on is Swirly."

Apple Bloom asked "Swirly?"

Grand Pear said "I'm not exactly sure why she named it that. I did know that she took a liking to it and she took care of it with all of her might."

Apple Bloom asked "Did she have anymore trees?"

Grand Pear said sitting underneath another tree "She did. They're not too far from here; I'll take you to them after I rest a bit."

Apple Bloom asked noticing the tree having a different cutie mark on it "Ok. Who's tree is this?"

Grand Pear explained "This tree belonged to my wife, your grandmare, Pear Spice; before she married me, her name was Cinnamon Spice. I like resting underneath her tree; it's the tree where we first met, fell in love, and where I proposed to her."

Apple Bloom asked "What was she like?"

Grand Pear said "She had a fire in her that could never be extinguished. She was really good at baking and making spices as well; she even helped me come up with a few ideas for the pear treats that you saw at my stand the day we met. Your mother got the best traits from her."

Apple Bloom asked "Do you think she would have liked me, you know despite me being half Apple?"

Grand Pear said "She would have loved you; same goes for Applejack and Big Macintosh. As for your dad, she would have been really tough on him. In fact, if she were around back then, she would have convinced me not to leave the way I did that night. The only reason she even got involved in that feud between the Apple and the Pears because she trusted me and my judgement about them. However, she talked to me about not always being on the attack against the Apples and told me to focus more on showing them up in sales rather than words. I miss her so much."

Apple Bloom gave Grand Pear a hug to comfort him. Having his granddaughter comfort him helped the tears stop for a moment.

While they sat down, Grand Pear talked about how each of the Pear Family would only pick a tree that "spoke to them" when the time is right; usually, it happens when a Pear comes of age or after they have received their cutie marks. Apple Bloom is eligible to find her own tree along with Big Macintosh and Applejack when they feel like looking for them; he also warned her that it is a process that requires a lot of patience most of the time.

Afterwards, the two of them went into town because Grand Pear had to run a few errands that he had to do. Apple Bloom helped him out around the market place and eventually the two of them went to the post office because Grand Pear had to deliver a letter to a few family members that know he's here. But before he left, he was given a package addressed to him with a letter attached to it.

Apple Bloom asked "Who's it from?"

Grand Pear said "Sparkle Pear, your Great Aunt. She lives in Saddle Arabia."

Apple Bloom said "Really? That's so far away. Why does she live there?"

Grand Pear explained "Because it was the most exotic place she's ever traveled too. She was a travel writer in her younger years and saw all of Equestria and places beyond that; one of her favorite places to visit was Saddle Arabia so she chose to retire there."

Apple Bloom asked "Does she know about "us"?"

Grand Pear said "She does, or at least I assume she knows."

Apple Bloom asked "What do you mean?"

Grand Pear explained "When she found out I left during your mother's wedding night, she let me have it and then she hit me in the face. She broke off all contact with me afterwards; said she was going to see your mother and father to give them her blessing. I don't know how much contact she was in with your mother but probably broke off contact after she and your father passed away. For a while I tried contacting her but she never contacted me back until now; last time I contacted her was the day I decided to move back to Ponyville."

Apple Bloom asked "You think she wants to make amends with you and get to know me,Applejack, and Big Mac?"

Grand Pear said "I'm sure she wants to get to know the three of you so much; as for me, odds are she'll still never want to speak to me again."

Afterwards, the two went back to Proud Pear Farms with all the stuff that they got from the market. As they were putting up the stuff, the letter from Sparkle Pear fell to the ground. Apple Bloom picked it up, but the seal broke. Grand Pear asked her to read it for him.

To my stupid, pathetic, and evil big brother,

I am contacting you to let you know that me and my friends from Saddle Arabia are going to be stopping by in Ponyville for a visit. I told them about the place and they seemed interested in going. If you actually kept your word and decided to be near Pear Butter's children, your grandchildren, I'm going to stop by and see them face to face myself. Apart from living far away, I've always thought you would need to meet them first if they were ever going to learn about their origins to the family than meeting me; it's the only way I see you being able to honor Pear Butter's memory despite how much you tarnished it along with that witch that tarnishes her own son's memory, my nephew in law's memory. In the event you did keep your word, I've given you some gifts from me to them For Big Macintosh, a special cologne that is popular among Saddle Arabian stallions; maybe he can use this for his marefriend, if he has one, or use it to attract a marefriend for himself. For Applejack, a special Saddle Arabian dress. And for Apple Bloom, I have two gifts for her; one from Saddle Arabia and one that I made for her. The first gift is a special Saddle Arabian bag that is made from the finest leather crafted there and can hold a lot of things in it. And, a special locket that she can store a picture of herself and a family member that she likes a lot. It's the same one I made with Pear Butter when she was just a filly for the two of us; maybe she can fill it with a family member that she loves. Well, see you soon. You better give those gifts to them, otherwise you'll get more than just me yelling at you.

From, Sparkle Pear

Grand Pear said after Apple Bloom gave him the letter "That was a lot "nicer" than what I expected her to ever send me."

Apple Bloom asked "What do you mean?"

Grand Pear said "I expected a lot of cursing in this. But I can't say I don't deserve it. Sparkle Pear blames me and Annie(Granny) Smith for what happened to your parents; she believes that we killed them."

Apple Bloom said "No you didn't; what happen to my mom and dad isn't your fault or Granny Smith's fault. And I'm sure Great Aunt Sparkle Pear will realize that when she stops by to see us. We'll help you two make amends, Grand Pear."

At that very moment, Grand Pear saw Pear Butter when she was about Apple Bloom's age and almost started to cry since this is something that she would say to him

Later that night, Grand Pear and Apple Bloom went back to Sweet Apple Acres; when they arrived at the house,Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Sugar Belle were there. Grand Pear gave them their gifts from Sparkle Pear and explained who she is and how they'll be seeing her soon.

Since it's almost dinner time, Grand Pear decided to make dinner for them; his special Pear Salad Surprise. However, Apple Bloom wanted to help him out since she didn't help during breakfast. Grand Pear agreed to this and the two of them made dinner together. He showed her how to make the Pear Family Surprise Salad and Pear Loaf for dinner. It took a while but the two of them managed to finish making dinner and served it to everypony. As they ate, Grand Pear told them the story of when their mother won a baking contest and a pie eating contest during. Eventually, the conversation went on about a few other Pear Family members and ancestors too.

A few hours later, Apple Bloom is getting ready for bed. But before she could do that, Grand Pear stopped by to say goodnight to his granddaughter.

Apple Bloom said "Are you going back home, GrandPear Pear?"

Grand Pear said "Yep. I just came to say good night."

Apple Bloom said "I liked spending time with you today."

Grand Pear said "Me too, Apple Bloom."

Apple Bloom said "Maybe next time we hang out like this again, you can tell me more stories about mom and the rest of the Pears."

Grand Pear said "I would more than be happy to tell you more stories."

Before he could say anything else, Apple Bloom fell asleep. He placed the cover over her and turned off the lights before leaving. As he left, he had a vision of a filly Pear Butter sleeping just like Apple Bloom is. He started to let out a tear since this reminded him of all those times he tucked his daughter in at night. As he closed the door to her room he said one last time: "Good Night, Apple Boom."

Author's Note:

While this will remain a one-shot, I'm open to doing a sequel to this. Seeing Grand Pear and Apple Bloom interact as granddaughter and grandfather works perfectly in my eyes; mainly because I can see her wanting to learn more about her Pear family roots from him more than AJ and Big Mac would.

Comments ( 9 )

Um, Grand Pear is a pun on the French word for grandfather which is "grand-père." So, shouldn't it be Grand-père Pear? Eh, details. :applejackunsure:

8789646
Well his name is called Grand Pear so I simply called him that. As for the title, Apple Bloom did ask if she could call him Grand Pear Pear at the end of the episode and it was spelled that way so I went with that.

I figued Big Mac and AJ would be set in their ways, what with being raised by Annie Smith (I like that name, btw.) However, because Apple Bloom’s the youngest of the three, she’d be more open to Pear custom. Does this mean that Grand Pear is French? If so, then that explains the fleur-de-lis cutie mark on AB’s flank on the cutie pox episode.

8790025
That's why I went for Grand Pear and Apple Bloom interacting like this; while I think they'll be open to Pear customs, probably Big Mac in terms of baking since he'll want to help Sugar Belle with her backing or something, Apple Bloom seems like the best option to embody the Pear lineage that was denied from them for so long due to Granny Smith lying to her grandchildren like that.

8789651
Actually, she asks if she can call him Grandpere Pear, which is French for Grandfather Pear.

Simple.... yet sweet and satisfying.

My human version of Gran Pear is he looks like William Shatner, and Granny Smith would be like Lee Mariweather sort of, with the white hair and aged face. At times, Gran Pear has his TJ Hooker side. I wrote a great human story of how he reunited with his family. I included John Amos as Burr Oak. Gran Pear likes Granny Smith very much and she likes him too.

Apple Bloom asked "Do you think mom would have passed down the recipe to me, Big Mac, andApplejack."

I think you forgot to space that one out

Aww it's really nice to see Applebloom wanting to hang out with grand pear especially how many years he miss seeing them growing up and I've always wanted to see them to get to know them after all these years sure what he did was really bad and he'll never forget that but it's never too late to amend things and Applejack Big Mac and Applebloom would love to see him and I'm sure Buttercup is happy that his father is with them now ❤ well this was a very nice story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment