• Published 13th Feb 2018
  • 705 Views, 63 Comments

Parma Quentaron Sintë Undómëo - Undome Tinwe



A collection of short stories and drabbles.

  • ...
2
 63
 705

PreviousChapters Next
A Normal Mare (RariTwi Romance/SoL)

Author's Note:

Second-Place Finisher in the Fourth Panic Fiction Speedwriting Contest, under the prompt "What's That Smell?"

"Darling, what is that smell?"

Twilight Sparkle looked up at Rarity with a manic gleam in her eyes as she entered her tree library. "It's nothing, Rarity!" Celestia's prized student said to her. "Can you come back in..." She glanced at the book floating in front of her, and then at the clock on the wall. "One hundred and twenty-two minutes?"

It was slightly concerning how easy it was for Rarity to suppress her sigh and speak calmly to the unicorn. "Twilight, it smells like you boiled the Everfree and then set it on fire in the kitchen." She plugged her nose with her hoof, but even that didn't help against whatever monstrosity Twilight was preparing. "Please let me help you cook, dear."

"No!" Twilight's eyes were very worryingly wide, and she slammed the door behind her that led to the kitchen closed with her magic. "I've got this covered!"

"Twilight, darling, dearest, sweetheart," Rarity replied. "You most certainly do not. We both know that there's a very good reason why Spike does all the cooking for the two of you, and it isn't just because you've far too many things on your plate already. Figuratively, of course."

"It's fine!" Twilight replied, a flash of annoyance colouring her tone. "Cooking is just following a set of instructions in a book. It's not that different from following an experimental procedure, and I'm very good at that sort of thing, in case you didn't know. I'm sure the eggplant will be fine once it comes out of the oven." As if on cue, smoke began to filter out from the corners of the doorframe.

"It certainly is not fine." Rarity was beginning to get frustrated too. She took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down and think about things from Twilight's point of view. Her marefriend was, despite her occasional "episodes," a reasonable and self-aware mare, and it wasn't like her to behave this way. Taking a cue from Fluttershy, she tried to adopt a compassionate tone as she spoke. "Is something wrong, dear? I've never known you to be this passionate about cooking before."

"I—" Twilight paused, her mania seeming to drain out of her as she deflated. "I just wanted to cook you a nice dinner for our date."

"And I appreciate the attempt," Rarity replied politely. "It's the thought that counts, after all."

Twilight snorted. "That's a nice way of saying that I screwed up. If I was really thinking, I wouldn't have even tried to do this in the first place."

"Why did you want to cook a meal for us so badly?" Rarity asked.

"Because it's what couples do," Twilight replied. "All the literature I've read on the subject suggest that cooking dinner and having a nice night in is a standard date archetype."

"It is," Rarity allowed. "But that doesn't mean we have to do it. As long as I'm able to enjoy your delightful company, I'm already the happiest mare in the world."

"Are you?"

Rarity's head tilted in confusion. "Whatever do you mean, dear?"

"You're a consummate romantic," Twilight explained. "I know you've always wanted to be romanced, always wanted to have a pony sweep you off your hooves and do all the things in your novels with you. I—" She hung her head low in shame, and the sight burned Rarity's heart. "I'm not a normal mare. We both know that.

"I make pedantic comments during movies, either critiquing their portrayal of magic or commenting on the cinematography. I can't dance, and I don't like going to bars to drink, and my idea of a good time is spending an evening curled up with a good book in a library." Twilight peeked upwards at Rarity with sad eyes. "I just wanted to give you a normal romantic date for once, instead of just lecturing you about magical chromatography for an hour while you pretend to look interested." She bowed her head down again, which was unacceptable to Rarity.

Rarity walked up to Twilight and lifted her chin with a hoof. She stared Twilight in the eyes and allowed her determination and anger to shine through. "Twilight Sparkle," she declared, her tone brooking no interruption. "I will not allow you to talk about yourself this way. You are an incredible mare, more funny and witty and smart and gallant than anypony else in Equestria, and I am honoured to be your marefriend.

"I am a lady of refined taste and high standards, and I would not be dating you if I didn't think you were worth my time and affections. I have turned down princes before, and I don't need a 'normal' date in order to fall in love with you."

"You shouldn't have to give those moments up, though."

Twilight's uncertainty and self-loathing galled Rarity, and she took out her anger by pulling the unicorn mage into a passionate kiss, trying to burn out her fears with her passion. "I didn't give up anything, Twilight Sparkle. I've just upgraded my expectations. You've shown me so many more wonders than I could have imagined, and I don't even care about those mundane things anymore."

"Do you really mean it?" Twilight asked breathlessly, hope shining in her eyes.

"Would I lie to you, darling?"

"I guess not." Twilight smiled. "Thanks, I needed to hear that."

"Anytime, dear." Rarity hugged Twilight again, just because she could. "Now, should we air up your home and get something to eat outside?"

Twilight laughed sheepishly. "Sure."

PreviousChapters Next