• Published 13th Feb 2018
  • 703 Views, 63 Comments

Parma Quentaron Sintë Undómëo - Undome Tinwe



A collection of short stories and drabbles.

  • ...
2
 63
 703

PreviousChapters Next
RariLight Bomb Day 4: Songs That Voices Never Share (RariTwi... something)

Author's Note:

First published here: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/197869/raritwi-rarilight-twilight-x-rarity/thread/350962/slams-door-down--whos-up-for-story-bits#comment/6429792

This is the fourth in a series of entries written for the RariLight Bomb Tumblr event, in which the goal was to produce RariLight content every day for five days. I chose to use the five word prompts given to us by Monochromatic.

Word Prompt: Belief Bridge Water

Twilight was cooking dinner and Rarity was sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon.

"Twilight, are you going to the Ponyville Fair tomorrow?"

"No." Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Twilight laid out the ingredients in front of her in a neat little row.

"That's a shame." Twilight glanced over to see Rarity working on her latest commission. Her client had requested that she make her a cambric shirt, deep forest green in color, with no seams or needlework (as was normal for the current "child of the mountain" fad). Rarity was concentrating hard on weaving with only her magic, but still managed to speak to Twilight. "I was so looking forward to getting away from it all for a few hours. Searching for a new shop location has been positively exhausting. I told Sassy to find me an acre of land, and the only place she could get was right between the salt water and the sea strand."

"Mhm." Twilight concentrated on preparing her salad. She mixed the herbs together with some vinegar and oil as she readied herself to gather it all in a bunch of heather.

She didn't even notice Rarity moving towards her until her hoof rested on her shoulder. "Are you quite alright, darling? You've been oddly silent all day."

"I'm fine." A sprinkling of leaves to top off the dish.

"Please, Twilight, talk to me." Twilight stared straight ahead as Rarity spoke. "Don't you know? Silence, like a cancer, grows." A hoof forced Twilight's head to turn, and she stared into Rarity's worried gaze.

She gave a small sigh, hating herself for making her marefriend feel bad. "It's dumb," she mumbled, turning away from Rarity. "Just a bad dream. A vision softly creeping, that left its seeds while I was sleeping. And the vision that was planted in my brain still remains."

The next words came unbidden, the words just spilling out of her. "In restless dreams I walked alone, on narrow streets of cobblestone. And I saw ten thousand ponies, maybe more. Ponies talking without speaking. Ponies hearing without listening.

"And I tried to call out to them. 'Hear my words that I might teach you!' I said. 'Take my arms that I might reach you!' But my words, like silent raindrops fell, and echoed in the wells of s-silence." Her breath hitched a little at the end, and she took a moment to compose herself. "Sometimes it feels like it doesn't matter how hard I try to be the Princess of Friendship, I'm never going to be able to make a real difference. I can't not try, but every way I look at it I lose. And our nation turns its lonely eyes on me and I feel like I'm talking to the darkness, my old friend."

"I'm glad you told me, dear." A soft kiss on her cheek. "Just remember that friends can always be found. When you're weary, feeling small." A handkerchief appeared in front of Twilight and dabbed at her eyes. "When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all. I'm on your side when times get rough. I'll take your part when darkness comes. And pain is all around. Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down."

This time, when Twilight turned towards Rarity, she was met by a passionate kiss. "Sail on silver girl," her marefriend whispered hotly as she pulled away. "Sail on by. Your time has come to shine. All your dreams are on their way." Her horn lit up as a dazzling array of illusion spells showed Twilight an image of ponies cheering and waving at her. "See how they shine. Oh, if you need a friend, I'm sailing right behind. Like a bridge over troubled water, I will ease your mind."

"Thank you," Twilight whispered back, and in that moment, she knew that Rarity would be a true love of hers.


PreviousChapters Next