• Published 9th Jan 2019
  • 408 Views, 3 Comments

Foalhood Days - KayeStar



Celestia and Luna weren't born fully grown, let alone as princesses. What about the early days? The days of foalhood and freedom?

  • ...
 3
 408

The Sun and the Moon

The rest of the night passed blissfully. The whole family slept in peace, not one of them disturbed. Not even the baby uttered so much as the tiniest sound throughout the night. None of them knew it at the time, but it'd been a long time since they truly fell asleep with smiles. Of course, no one wanted a repeat of the events that indirectly caused it, but it would serve as a reminder of what can happen when one feels neglected. At the same time, it'd also be a reminder of the danger one could bring upon themselves through jealousy.

Just before sunrise, one pony of the family awoke. She yawned, rubbed her eyes, and stretched herself out. She knew it was too early to be awake, but she didn't want to try to fall asleep again. Not just yet. Instead, she climbed from her bed and peeked out of her room. When she saw all was clear and quiet, she trotted out, across the empty room, and into the next one she knew was full. She peeked in again. Sleep and silence.

Her goal was nearby. She trotted slowly over the short distance from the doorway to the bassinet. She paused, but when she heard no sound, she stood on her hind legs to peek inside. Her face melted into a small smile upon the sight. Gently, she slid her hooves under the infant pony and lifted her. The older of the two then landed quietly on one hoof, holding the younger one with the other. She trotted out of the room as quietly as she entered, and once she was out, spread out her wings and flew outside to the reach the roof.

She perched herself perfectly on top, holding the infant pony tightly, but cautiously. At first, she didn't speak a word. She was waiting. For now, she only softly rocked the baby in her hooves, lovingly remembering the first time she did this with the small one in tow. But this time, it wasn't out of curiosity or worry.

A ray of light touched her face and she gazed ahead as the sun peaked over the horizon, slowly coloring the sky as it ascended. She couldn't remember when she last saw the sun rise. Maybe she'd been as small as the pony she was holding.

"Sister," she spoke softly, looking down, "thank you. You saved me."

The baby began to wake up, bothered by the dawn's light, but she fussed for only a moment before calming down at the sight of the tender gaze meeting her eyes.

"I really love you. And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I've been a bad big sister."

She held her hoof to the tiny foal's face, letting the baby suck on it contently and giggle a little.

"I'll be good from now on. I'll protect you. I promise. I'm the big sister. I'll never let you get hurt. Do you forgive me?"

She gently pulled her hoof away, but instead of crying, the baby laughed more and reached upwards. She hovered in the air and hugged her, softly rocking her again. She felt a small smack on her cheek and was surprised for only a split second before realizing it was a kiss. The sun was still rising to its place in the sky, and the older pony cradled the younger one again to allow both of them view as it did so.

Less than two feet behind, their parents watched quietly with nothing short of pride.

Comments ( 1 )

This is adorable! I always enjoy reading other people's thoughts about Celestia and Luna's childhood.

Login or register to comment