• Published 7th Mar 2018
  • 1,697 Views, 265 Comments

The Virgin Company (currently editing) - Pone_Heap



The story of a Pegasus lieutenant, his beloved platoon, and their piece of the Centauri-Equestrian War, decades ago.

  • ...
19
 265
 1,697

PreviousChapters Next
City by the Sea, Chapter 3: Welcome Knowledge... and the Other Side

Leaving 4th Squad behind, Zip moved north. The dock northernmost was directed by his 1st Squad sergeant, Sgt. Amethyst Flare. She was the only mare in the whole company to command a Squad, save SSgt. Jacinta Petals’s temporary misery.

This squad was the magic users’ squad. The other squads may have had unicorns, but this squad was exclusively unicorns. The 1st team, led by Cpl. Aster Yellows, specialized in utility magic, whatever the Hell that meant, while the 2nd team, medical, was led by Cpl. Lily Hawk.

Zip was dreading his coming visit to 3rd Squad. The things he’d heard throughout the day led him to believe things weren’t all that great over there, and that was an understatement. This squad was the squad that had its sergeant, Sgt. Sagebrush Trail, away for reasons yet explained to him. SSgt. Petals was trying to lead them, but she was unsuccessful in it.

Zip had yet to see the “roughness” described in his platoon, and he was trying to keep an open mind.

Perhaps the magic squad was the big part of the problem. Zip doubted it, but he wasn’t ready to make such a judgement until he saw them. All the squads contributed to the problem. He took some of the things he’d learned in Officer Candidate School with a grain of salt, having been advised of things in the real world by his superiors in the Dragon Lands.

For some reason, maybe the geography of the port or the cliquish arrangements, the platoon lacked cohesiveness. Soldiers fend for their immediate comrades. Above all else, they will seek to preserve themselves and their closest allies before everypony else. It was natural. And it was probably compounded by the fact very similar ponies were crammed together based on what they could do, rather than working towards a balance. It was a difficult thing, balancing anything, when one is trying to keep a group leaning towards a specialty. Also, the squads spent much time isolated from one another.

The real issue, Zip felt, was a majority of the platoon had no actual combat experience; some hadn't seen what he had come to define as "hardship". Zip would learn later who had what kind of experience, but for now he had to go with what he knew.

In and of itself, a platoon largely lacking combat experience wasn’t a bad thing. They were logistics. Their job was to oversee the port and transit within the city. The military does a Hell of a lot more than just fight. Killing shit and exerting a government’s will is the truest purpose of the military, but it took a lot to support that. Much of government is just keeping things running internally, and the military had a hoof in that.

The problem… was the entire 3rd Squad were combat veterans. Zip knew how things worked. They’d been sent there from outfits that were so badly fractured, the number of casualties merited reformation. Or they were trouble. Some went to other combat assignments, and some were sent to desks. And the rest were sent to places like Vanhoover. These ponies… were hardened. They’d fought, seen their friends and fellow soldiers die, and are then sent to a job like logistics?

The 3rd Squad was bonded by the blood they’d spilled, even if they’d never met before. Even if they didn’t like each other… they were bonded. If SSgt. Petals had indeed put most of the veterans together, it was a huge foul-up. Zip knew something. He knew it in his brain, heart, gut, and balls: 3rd Squad would have insignificant respect for SSgt. Petals, and it wouldn't be because she was a pretty little mare.

Zip had taken a quick look at a file and knew SSgt. Petals was a supply officer from the sticks, but he didn’t know how she wound up a staff sergeant or why she wound up in South Port. The 3rd Squad wouldn’t respect anypony that hadn’t fought, bled, and watched comrades die for Equestria. And if they didn’t respect her… they sure as Hell wouldn’t follow her.

Zip now prayed he could alleviate this. Pulling SSgt. Petals away from the squad and having her serve as his staff would be his first order. A squad leader of their own might be better to lead… or he may even lead them himself. He'd learn what he could about Sgt. Trail but would worry later.

It beggared the imagination the captain wouldn’t have dealt with any problems that may have arisen. Sure, he’d said the platoon did a “good job” with the port, but this was a hooves-off way to run things. It was yet another thing to think about later.

But before anything else, he’d have a chat with 1st Squad. He knew enough by then, he felt, to ask somepony straight up how things were standing.


The 1st Squad was very busy by the time Zip arrived. He received a fleeting salute from the stallion Cpl. Yellows and was barely able to introduce himself to Cpl. Hawk, one of the few mares under him, before she ran to the dock. Zip didn’t mean to judge the mares on their looks, but he was a stallion… He at least noticed. She looked alright but her not sticking around disallowed him a good look.

Approaching a table in the shade, Zip came to the squad sergeant. She was sitting down, going through some documents. On the table was tea for two and a plate of cookies… as if she’d been expecting him. She looked up to him with a smile.

Zip faced Sgt. Flare. And holy shit wowza...!

If SSgt. Petals was gorgeous, Cpl. Song cute in a nervous way, Spc. Trip Wire adorable, and Cpl. Hawk pretty in a simple way… Sgt. Flare was an Equestrian belle. She had a mature, intimidating, and severe beauty about her, quite unlike the other mares in their early twenties or late teens. She looked to be Zip’s height and radiated the kind of poise of one at peace with the world around them. He knew she was about 15 years his senior.

“Good afternoon, Lieutenant… I’m Sgt. Amethyst Flare. And my goodness, what happened to your uniform?” the sergeant simpered as she tried to hide her amusement.

Zip looked at himself; the grease and oil were worse than he had previously thought, “I decided to play around with 4th Squad for a laugh. Spc. Wire was working on their lift, and I helped her without letting her know who I was right away. It was fun.”

She gleamed, “Oh, you got to meet Trip? She’s such a little sweetheart… even with her sailor mouth. Hold still.”

The sergeant’s horn glowed, and Zip looked with amazement as the spots lifted from the uniform. It was as good as brand new, his insignia spotless and his Wings shined in the sun. Even the other, feathery wings attached behind his shoulders were unblemished, in addition to his coat.

“Wow… Thank you, Sergeant.”

She nodded, “Please, Lieutenant, sit. Would you like a snack and some tea?”

He sat down, politely taking the offered treats, “Oh, yes, very much, Sergeant. How are things around here?”

She stirred her tea, “Busy, as you might imagine… I’m just going through this timetable. But… it can wait. You have something on your mind, don’t you?”

Zip looked into Sgt. Flare’s eyes. Zip wasn’t the most perceptive stallion. He loved mares… always had, even if they scared him. He loved the way they looked, the way they moved when they walked, the way they smelled… and everything else about them. But he had been just awful with them, unable to pick up some of the very bluntest of cues. It had definitely cost him a potential marefriend more than a few times, and he’d still never even been laid, unable to see what should have been obvious when some filly opened for him… And still, he never learned.

He hadn't learned it in high school, that was for certain. That meant he'd missed any chance with his senior prom date... though he'd never thought of his good friend in such a way. And regarding his sister's friend, Misty Dawn, with whom he'd had a stellar time upon his commission, he'd also not thought of her that way. He often wished he'd made and stayed in contact with her, but his world had changed. He wasn't entirely sure of a lot of things.

Still, he was sure about some things… mainly regarding power. And he sensed a most powerful magic from Sgt. Flare. He could… feel it on her. He could feel it in his own mind.

“Sergeant… you’re a psychic…”

Her eyes widened in surprise; she let out a rather girlish laugh, “Wow… you’re mightily inciteful for a Pegasus. Are you sure you don’t have a little Knollwing blood in you?”

Zip snorted. Knollwing. Supposedly, a long time ago, there was a sub-race of Pegasi that drew on a special magic. It gave them great strength and a myriad of abilities Pegasi were not known for… including extrasensory perception. They also could enter a berserker stage at will and come out of it intact, ready to go on with the day.

The sergeant smiled, “You don’t believe in Knollwings… do you, Lieutenant?”

“No.”

“That’s a shame… the Wings you received is of them.”

Zip knew the old legend: the Wings of the Dragon Slayer was supposedly a decoration given by the Knollwing ponies for great feats. Zip believed in that malarkey about as much as he believed in the Wings of Paradise, the legendary diadem gifted to the High Protector of the Knollwing race. Every little Pegasus knew this crap… and most quit believing it when they grew up a bit.

Zip considered her, “I know the legend… Even if the Knollwings existed, they were supposed to have died off 5,000 years ago. How would I have any of them in me? I don’t believe in that stuff. It’s hard enough to believe there was a time we couldn’t control our own weather and the Sun and Moon raised themselves. And that wasn’t even that long ago in the grand scheme…”

The sergeant giggled into her teacup; it was time to discuss other matters, “Well… whatever… But yes, Lieutenant… I’m a psychic. And if you would, please call me Amethyst… I think the others would appreciate if you’d call them by name as well…”

This might have been true, but it was something he’d think on later. For now, he’d entertain her.

“So… Amethyst… how’s a psychic wind up in a place like this?”

She looked at him with just a bit of mischief, “I used to be a warrant officer with Equestrian Intelligence.”

Zip almost spat out his tea, “You were a warrant officer in army intelligence?!”

She nodded, an amused little smile on her face.

He trod carefully but figured he’d aim high anyway, “…Level four?”

Smirking now, looking at him most interestedly, she nodded again, "Yes, Lieutenant. Only a few ponies in the army know that, though, so... keep it quiet."

This was certainly surprising to him. Sgt. Flare wasn’t some ordinary sergeant… nor was she some ordinary mare. She was a former spy… and assassin… and interrogator… and a bunch of other awful things most ponies never even dreamed of. She was rife with the kind of stuff Equestria didn’t want its ponies to know about. The least of her “offenses” was probably her time spent in the Canterlot “think tank”. And she was sitting across from him, having tea in Vanhoover. She was probably the most highly and specially trained soldier between there and Canterlot.

She set down her teacup, “But to answer your question… my superiors… didn’t like something I did. Leave it at that. They wanted to get me as far away from them as they could… which is silly. I was sick of Canterlot… My ex-husband… the first one… was trying to ride my coattails again, like a drowning rat; he shows up every few years for a hoofout. So, I told him to go to Hell. I wanted out of there anyway. And trouble for my colonel was the last thing on my mind; it wasn’t him that had me booted. It’s not like I can just read anypony’s mind anytime I want. And I certainly can’t make heads go pop with a glance… a unicorn has magic enough for things like that without being gifted in other mind games…”

Zip tried to keep his wits about him; this mare had a frightful sense of humor. He wasn’t a nervous stallion. That was the thing that probably impressed others the most about him. At times, he could swing his balls and knock down a wall they were so solid. But Sgt. Flare… He’d never felt truly afraid of a mare his entire life… other than his mom. Sure, he was "scared" of mares but that was another matter altogether. Sgt. Flare was a whole lotta mare… He could practically feel his nuts pulling themselves up into his body; it gave him a dreadful ache down south.

She took on an apologetic, wry face, “I’m sorry, Lieutenant… Too much. But don’t worry. I can’t just read minds. Your thoughts are just rather… loud at the moment and you’re right beside me. You know psychic abilities aren’t that easy to control, anyway. If they were… oh, how boring life would be.”

Zip decided to move on, “Amethyst… your former position… I think you’re on par with a sergeant major. That’s… a couple levels above SSgt. Petals…! How is it you’re not my platoon sergeant?! But even that would be below you… You’re brigade sergeant material.”

“Like I said, I worked for a colonel, so, yes… I suppose I was. My rank was dropped to sergeant when I was sent here. I dropped a few ranks... My skills… don’t translate well here. I may have rank on Jacinta, but I know nothing of logistics or supply, other than what I’ve learned the last month. But she lets me call her by name, just because I technically do have rank. But she surely doesn't know I was on the fourth level or that I was a warrant officer... and she doesn't need to. She even calls me by name… as well as some of the others. You should too… Call Petals by her first name. I think it’d get a rise out of her… hearing her given name from a stallion she doesn’t hate, if she doesn’t hate you, that is.” Sgt. Flare chuckled.

Zip still wasn’t sure about calling SSgt. Petals by name… maybe some of the squad members… Amethyst, Hell, he already was.

Sergeant Flare took another cookie, “It’s funny, really… I’ve toppled governments with my bare hooves or a dirty little thought in somepony’s head, but I can’t operate a transfer hub like this.”

“But SSgt. Petals can?”

She was amused, “Lieutenant, Jacinta may be… over her head with some of the soldiers here, but she’s an excellent supply and logistics officer.”

Zip learned a bit more about SSgt. Petals. She was a Fillydelphian that enlisted in the army because she was… the crusading type. But she wasn’t interested in combat. She worked in aid, relief, and other charitable efforts (the army had this side, too) based out of a little distribution hub. Her skills quickly earned her noncom status as a corporal and sergeant very soon after. Despite how young she was, when their staff sergeant transferred out, her superiors could think of no better pony for the job… at least without reaching out to the greater army. Ponies seemed to want to get away from places like that.

But funding ran out, and her hub was dissolved. Instead of bringing her to Canterlot, she was sent west. Ponies were needed in the 4th Equestrian Army restructuring, and a good supply and logistics sergeant was needed in their company. Her record was outstanding, and everything looked good on paper, but… SSgt. Petals was an idealist. She was motivated to do good, work hard, and follow the rules and had been surrounded by ponies of the same mind.

She knew nothing of the “normal” army. So, throwing her into a platoon made up of “dregs” from the rest of the army was a dubious thing. She wasn’t ideal for the position, but order had been maintained by her squad leaders to a degree she could manage things. And this was surprising, given the poor choices of her squad building. But things changed.

Zip was listening with some interest. Sgt. Flare then described Sgt. Sagebrush Trail. He was a grizzled old combat veteran. An Earth pony, he fought with nothing but his own strength and skill. He lacked some of the nasty skills his squad possessed, being much older and never a specialist in “dirty fighting”. But his experience was legendary. He’d fought in the war with Griffinstone.

He was getting close to retirement and the army decided to send him to Vanhoover, his previous assignment accomplished. Sgt. Trail was passed over for platoon sergeant because he lacked the background in supply and logistics, as Sgt. Flare had. He managed to keep a lid on 3rd Squad, simply because they respected him. But three weeks prior to Zip’s arrival, Sgt. Trail was injured when a crane malfunctioned. He saved two of his squad from getting hurt but messed up a leg in the process. He was alright but had to take it easy a few weeks. Currently, he was on paid vacation, visiting family out east.

But if Sgt. Trail knew just what was going on with his squad, he’d probably hightail it back and get a collar on them. Sgt. Petals made the terrible mistake of taking charge of the squad when she should have let one of the corporals do it… or given 3rd Squad somepony from 2nd Squad, logistics, just to help them along.

Sargeant Flare shook her head, “And you know what a joke our captain and lieutenant colonel are, Lieutenant. They’re just letting us do our own thing. They get results… and they don’t really care about anything else.”

Zip’s concern increased, “You seem to be on good terms with SSgt. Petals. Why not give her some advice? I mean… she’s putting herself at risk…”

“I’ve tried warning her. She’s not on some campaign to 'get through to them' or get them to understand; she’s just trying to maintain discipline. The 3rd Squad’s productivity sucks. Jacinta knows that and is trying to get them to work harder. But… they don’t respect her much, as you may have deduced. But she keeps pushing them. I'm sure there's more going on than just that, too. And unfortunately, it’s not my place to bring this to anypony’s attention higher than you. But it’s within your power, Lieutenant.”

Zip’s brain gears were whirling, “Amethyst… the captain brushed me off when I asked about the problems here… and the lieutenant colonel was ‘indisposed’.”

Sergeant Flare took on a rather disgusted look, “Old ‘Gonorrhea Breath’ is at it again…”

Zip pretended not to notice her uncultured, but highly amusing, comment, “SSgt. Petals just ensured Pvt. Mill will be cashiered this morning… Well, he did that himself… She just caught him. I watched it happen. But the captain mentioned other court martials. What’s going on?”

Sergeant Flare sighed, “On top of Pvt. Mill, Jacinta’s brought up three of her temporary squad on charges. They all earned it. The first, nopony cared… the stallion was an ass and even his fellow combat veterans hated him. 3rd Squad has two combat teams, of course… special tactics and magic combat. This guy was in special tactics… ‘dirty fighting’… He got caught inside a civilian mare from battalion headquarters in an outhouse. He tried to run, and she put him through the mill when he tried to fight. He sat through his court in a wheelchair.”

Zip looked surprised, “I thought SSgt. Petals was a supply officer… She bested a combat veteran? A specialist in ‘dirty fighting’?!”

“You said you saw her deal with Pvt. Mill. Jacinta is… a talented martial artist. She could probably beat me or anypony else in the platoon in a physical fight… maybe in the whole battalion… fair or dirty.”

All this information had Zip’s head spinning, “Go on…”

Sergeant Flare sipped her tea, “The next was drunk on duty and… well, he straight up tried to kill her when she caught him. Really, he went bonkers… He even started in on his own team. He was on the magic team, so she didn’t hold back when he attacked her… Well, first, she tried to subdue him, but he knew she was trying to suppress his magic with that nasty pressure point. When that didn’t work, she broke his leg so badly he’s lying in a bed with pins holding it together. It sure as Hell stopped his rampage. They almost amputated.

“The only reason he won’t face the gallows was nopony else “saw” it happen. Just taking a swing at a superior… I’ve seen ponies strung up for that. He could have killed a couple ponies that day. But he told the truth about what happened… when they had me mess with his mind a little… But they needed more witnesses for a capital offense to stick. None were willing to do so… I doubt anypony from the squad would’ve testified against him. They held his court in his hospital room.

“The last one… was bad. I don’t know how she’s able to keep such a close eye on her squad, but she caught one of them raping a filly in town. A 10-year-old filly… He bought her for a night off some merchant… Jacinta almost killed him when he turned on her. And he was the best soldier 3rd Squad had. He was an Equestrian Ranger… He was also a terrible pony… It didn’t take his raping a filly for anypony to know that… Cruel, abusive… He was sent here just to get him away from the regular army. I wish they’d sent him elsewhere… like Hell. You could look at his file… The stuff in there… even shocked me.”

The fact Sgt. Flare was possibly looking at documents she wasn’t supposed to was the last thing on his mind, “And SSgt. Petals… beat him? And you’re using the word ‘was’… He’s still alive, right?”

Sergeant Flare grimaced, “Well, ‘was’ is the most appropriate thing to say. She broke his back, Lieutenant. And pretty high up too. If he ever wakes up… he’ll hang anyway for what he did. He was the de facto leader once Sgt. Trail was gone despite not being a non-com. Jacinta really tossed things up. And now… things are in real turmoil. The squad doesn’t want some mare they don't know in charge, especially not some little supply officer. I’m… worried. Still, I try not to bother with them much... Their thoughts, Lieutenant! I can't block out their thoughts when I'm near them. I've seen enough awful things, and I don't mind avoiding others' memories.”

Zip could hardly believe this. The squad still didn’t respect her? His little staff sergeant was badass. She may not have been a trained killer or combat vet but… she was something else. He was starting to suspect Sgt. Flare was… letting SSgt. Petals carry on this way just because she didn’t know how to stop her. How the fuck was the platoon so at ease with all of this? Did they really keep to themselves so much they simply ignored their staff sergeant crippling three stallions?!

He had to ask, “If this is going on... why aren’t the other squads getting surly? I mean… how?”

“The 3rd Squad is the problem, Lieutenant, above all. Those left in the squad aren’t all that bad, but they’re surly. And Pvt. Mill was an anomaly within his own squad. The rest of us actually hold Jacinta in pretty high esteem… Plus, as you appear to be speculating, we all tend to mind our own business.”

Zip practically stuttered, “But our company… the battalion! They’re not even looking further in? SSgt. Petals would’ve been put on probation or leave or even cashiered herself any place else.”

“Lieutenant… the battalion is a joke. Jacinta could run the battalion better than Lt. Col. ‘Sweet and Sour Mouth’. He just stamps the papers and sends the courts on their way. There are always ponies the army is looking to send away to us. They send us problems, Lieutenant. The company’s a joke. I don’t think the captain knows whether to shit or wind his watch half the time. We’re in the woods, man. We’re here to be ignored… They leave us here to do for cheaper what civilians could do for more.”

Of course, Zip had one more question, “And the platoon’s only been operating a month. Did this really all happen in the last three weeks?”

She eyed him grimly, “…The last two weeks.”

Zip’s response was almost immediate. He listened to his brain, heart, gut, and balls; a stallion is wise to listen to them all. He knew SSgt. Petals’s life could be in danger… possibly immediate. He’d heard so many horror stories he couldn’t leave it alone. He may have been jumping to conclusions, but this got his attention.

Based on what he knew now, SSgt. Petals would be a shoe-in for a fragging in a combat situation. They weren’t in any such arena, but that was enough to scare him. The pieces fit; he had to act. For the first time the entire day he leapt up, taking flight.

Sergeant Flare was surprised at the speed which he took off. She shrugged and finished her tea. The lieutenant would pull SSgt. Petals’s nuts out of the fire.


Zip was reasonably fast, and the last dock under his supervision was only a short distance away. He saw it and was able to land again in about 10 seconds.

What he saw had him glad he moved quickly. The remaining stallions that weren’t leaders, a mixture of Earth ponies and unicorns, were standing to the side, looking more than a little frightened. An Earth pony, obviously Cpl. Razor Wire, leading the special tactics team, appeared at odds with what he was supposed to do. SSgt. Petals was facing down against a beastly looking unicorn stallion, Cpl. Stardust Painter, team leader of magic combat. She bristled at him, and he looked most unsure of himself.

Zip knew a couple things about the corporals. Sgt. Flare said they were battle-hardened, and not much scared them. They specialized in “dirty fighting” and combat magic. And SSgt. Petals had terrified them both with the ease and lack of hesitation noted when she’d clobbered three of their squad mates.

“I have had enough of you being careless with the lift! That’s the second near miss we’ve had in as many days. Pvt. Shade could have lost a leg! What do you have to say for yourself, Corporal?!” the little staff sergeant fumed.

The corporal had nothing to say, or perhaps he couldn’t. Zip knew the body language. Cpl. Painter was scared to say anything. She really had these guys wound up. Zip could also see he was spoiling to take a poke at or blast SSgt. Petals. He’d once seen a recruit pop his drill sergeant when the recruit grew tired of the screaming in his ear. The drill sergeant hit the recruit so hard he soiled himself, and the fool cried like a 4-year-old colt who’d just shit his pants at the playground. Redundant, the defecation references, but it sure was a scene.

Initially hoping to ease his way in and coax them all into a sense of ease while sending SSgt. Petals away, he decided to skip the foreplay and go for it. Any hesitation might result in a cooked hyacinth and a hanging or another paralyzed stallion with a court martial.

Approaching the squad, he called out casually as if he’d seen nothing, “Good afternoon, 3rd Squad! Uh, SSgt. Petals! Please report to company headquarters. They need you.”

She looked at him, fire in her yellow eyes. The look might have scared off most ponies, but Zip didn’t think too much about it; sure, she was more than a little scary, but he’d faced a dragon…

Zip could see unmistakable relief in the squad members' eyes as SSgt. Petals turned and walked towards the pony they quickly realized was 1st Lt. Zip Jetscream, “Hero of the Dragon Lands”. As she approached, Zip kept up his pleasant look. When she got to him, he maintained his façade and whispered to her.

“Sergeant… wait somewhere close by. Out of sight and earshot. That’s an order… I must talk to you. I’ll try to come for you in 20 minutes or so.”

This proved to stoke the fire in her eyes, but she stiffly nodded and paddled past him. Still, Zip kept the possibly convincing grin on his face and approached 3rd Squad.

“Again, good afternoon, squad. I’m Lt. Jetscream. How’s everypony?”

Really, Zip knew he wasn’t fooling anypony; they knew he’d heard and borne witness to SSgt. Petals’s yelling. And he didn’t expect them to go for it. But approaching in a friendly manner was better than not. If he blew something off, it told them to do the same.

The nine stallions lined up and gave Zip a crisp salute; it was easily the best showing he’d seen all day. He saluted back.

Corporal Painter spoke up, “Welcome to Vanhoover, Lieutenant. We had no idea you’d be here today, until SSgt. Petals said so.”

Zip noticed the contempt in the corporal's voice; he brushed it off for the moment, “Yes, it’s been quite a day. Battalion never alerted the captain when I showed up. Everywhere I go, it’s a surprise I’m here.”

They took a moment to introduce themselves. Zip could see it in their eyes: these stallions had been in the shit. It was unmistakable. Regardless, Zip stood without difficulty or apparent apprehension; he may not have been an actual combat vet, but killing a dragon said something about him. And that he’d called off SSgt. Petals without breaking a sweat said more than any of them could claim, whether he was boss or not. He could see they were definitely interested in his being there. They could chat, but the dock wouldn’t direct itself, and things were backing up, given the ruckus Zip had walked into.

Zip asked casually, “Cpl. Painter, Cpl. Wire… would your squad be able to keep an eye on the dock while I talk with the both of you?”

Corporal Painter didn’t look displeased, “Yes. Spc. Hemp?”

A scarred Earth pony looked over, “Yes, Corporal?”

With no malice, “Take the boys back to the dock. And be careful. We really need to watch for that.”

Specialist Hemp nodded, “Will do.”

The squad, save their team leaders, made their way back to the dock. Zip motioned the corporals to join him. They sat at a picnic table nearby.

The lieutenant addressed his corporals, “I want you to speak freely. This is off the record. I know things haven’t been going well, particularly in your squad. I intend to see things fixed, but I need to know a few things. You squads seem to stay out of each other’s’ business, but I’ve heard a couple things.”

"Is there such a thing as 'off the record', sir?" Cpl. Wire asked, his voice holding just a hint of worried sarcasm.

Zip almost chuckled, "No, of course not. I just wanna talk."

The corporals looked at one another. Cpl. Wire shrugged, and Cpl. Painter nodded.

Corporal Painter leaned forward, “Just what did Sgt. Flare tell you?”

Zip was unsurprised he'd guess that; he said, “She told me about the three soldiers SSgt. Petals drummed out of here in the last souple weeks. Things haven’t been great since Sgt. Trail left. Three weeks and this is what happens? I know the three gone were more than a little problematic, but this cannot keep happening.”

Corporal Wire decided to talk, “I think the issue is SSgt. Petals regards us all the same way. It's like she thinks we’re all a bunch of baby raping nuts. Those three—they were crazy—but we’re not like them. I have to say, her treatment of us is wearing on a couple of the younger guys. We weren’t sent here because the army needed us here… they sent us here to get rid of us. Some of the guys… they have problems. Battle fatigue… They’re not used to the tedium here. And it can all be tedious… This is just different. Taking a pony from the front, shaken up, and dumping him here?! It’s bad.”

Zip could buy some of this, “I should tread carefully, I know, but does the fact SSgt. Petals lack combat experience bother you? That she’s been running the show since Sgt. Trail left? I hear he was able to keep a lid on things.”

Both corporals looked uncomfortable. Zip knew they resented SSgt. Petals lording over them when she was just some supply clerk from the sticks, ultimately.

The Lieutenant took their nervous silence as admission, “I told you to speak freely. You might as well do so.”

Corporal Painter took the invitation, “The asshole she whipped first, we could deal with that. But after that, she just kept going after us harder—even for little stuff. The second guy freaked out… the alcohol… the battle fatigue… He just went batshit! I don’t know what Sgt. Flare told you about that, but it was more complicated than she could tell you. And now he’s in a hospital bed, having withdrawals, his leg so torn up he’s not even stable to move! And now… she paralyzed Spc. Beach. Even with what he did… we’re scared, sir. We didn’t show her the respect she was owed at first and for the reasons you said, but now we don’t have a chance. She’s out to get all of us.”

Zip showed little response to this, but looked to Cpl. Wire, “Anything to say, Corporal?”

Corporal Wire scratched his head nervously, “Sir… we did fuck up when it came to respecting her as squad leader. But Spc. Beach kinda took things over, de facto-like, when Sarge took his vacation. I know how stupid that sounds, given the chain of command, but you don't know what the guy was like...! I guess the tension’s been building and building. We just have… problems doing this kind of work, and she’s tearing into us. We don’t know what to do…”

Zip decided he had what he needed to know, “I shouldn’t say what’s done is done, but it is. A lot’s gone into this, but no one pony created this mess. Things have sucked over here, but I’ll see that improves. SSgt. Petals won’t be running your squad anymore. Even if I didn’t need her to show me the ropes, I’d still pull her off. You’re down to nine ponies, and none of you have much experience in logistics. I’m going to talk to the other squads—try to pull a couple away temporarily to help you. They’ll help you until I find a more permanent solution and Sgt. Trail comes back. Until I say otherwise, the two of you will be running your squad. I expect your productivity and conduct to improve by the end of the week. Does that sound acceptable to the both of you?”

Both corporals looked more than satisfied. Both even appeared to relax.

Corporal Painter sighed, “That sounds good, Lieutenant… Thank you.”

Zip was pleased with this, “Great. Now… you may return to your squad in a moment. Don’t speak ill of SSgt. Petals to them, and discourage any rumblings. I’ll see to her and discuss matters with the other squad leaders. I don’t want to see any more trouble. Let them know what they need to; I trust you on that. Just do your jobs, and things will be better.”

Both corporals stood and saluted in unison, “Yes, sir.”

Zip returned the salute, “Carry on.”

But Cpl. Wire had something else to say, "Sir?"

Zip regarded him, "Yes, Corporal?"

"You met my sister, and I'm guessing she told you... but... For my dad... thank you... Thank you, sir. You really did an amazing thing... helped a lot of ponies that day."

Zip wasn't about to bring up the Wire siblings' dad, but there it was. He could see the corporal was fighting his emotions, and he could also see Cpl. Painter shared in the pathos.

Zip wasn't fully sure of what to do or say... hug Cpl. Wire?! No... he was sure he didn't want that. So he offered a hoof instead, and it was readily accepted.

Zip smiled warmly, though his stomach was knotted, shaking hooves with his corporal, "I'm glad I was able to help that day... It was Hell."

Corporal Wire nodded, eyes shining, "They were fortunate to have a pony like you. And I think we will be too. I'm glad you're with us...! We'll carry out your orders, sir."

Corporal Painter nodded as well, conviction in his face. Zip could see it: these two were on his side. Whether they'd already been or he'd just convinced them, they were on his side. And he was happy for it.

The joint squad leaders walked away, leaving Zip. Zip did the same, leaving the dock. It was time to find his staff sergeant.


Zip found SSgt Petals out of apparent earshot, leaning against a pile of netting. She didn’t look too happy. He’d have to tread carefully if he wanted to maintain and/or regain her respect. Noticing him, she stood at partial attention.

“Lieutenant,” she acknowledged.

Her new platoon leader saw no point in beating around the bush or kicking the can, “SSgt. Petals, I’m relieving you of your temporary command of 3rd Squad, effective now.”

Perhaps she had expected that, but her eyes appeared stricken, “Sir?”

Zip went on, “Until Sgt. Trail comes back—or I find a better solution—the corporals will run their own squad. I think I got their attention; they should be more productive now. I’m going to consult with Sgt. Clover… maybe send one of 2nd Squad to assist 3rd Squad. Spc. Porter may be a good choice. I may pull somepony from maintenance or engineering too.”

His staff sergeant looked less and less at ease by the second; Zip gave her a few seconds to process things, “I’m new, Sergeant. I’ve never run much of anything in my life, but you have. I’ll need your knowledge, experience, and guidance from here on out. You’re my staff, and I need your help.”

He didn’t enjoy the miserable look she was trying so hard to hide. He knew Sgt. Petals had probably never been reprimanded for much of anything since she was a recruit; she was ideal material for what she’d done before arriving in Port. Zip hadn’t said anything out of line or she hadn’t earned, but it obviously stung. She’d done her best, practically abandoned by the army in a less than ideal situation. Perhaps she’d even done admirably, given the circumstances and her own experience.

But he was in charge. This was his platoon. He’d taken it from her; there was no breaking into the position or letting her hoof it over to him when she felt comfortable. He was it. But he knew he couldn’t do it alone. To save her any more embarrassment, and the now obvious possibility of crying in front of her commanding officer, he’d briefly finish what he had to say.

It was difficult to find the right words; there was no apologizing to be done, but a lot of things could wait to be said, when cooler minds prevailed, “Sergeant. We will discuss this matter further, but later, when you’ve had some time. Please. I want you to take the rest of the day off—not official. Just relax for a little while. We can talk tomorrow.”

The little staff sergeant was still bristling, “Will there be anything else, sir?”

Zip tried to keep his demeanor and voice even, “No. Dismissed, Sergeant.”

The staff sergeant looked at him with no small amount of loathing in her erstwhile dry eyes. It was hard to tell if it was anger or something else. Was it meant for him… or turned more inward? He could turn it over in his mind all he wanted but might never figure it out. He had to go with face value on things. And he didn’t like the way SSgt. Petals was eyeballing him.

For the second time that day, Zip felt his boys retreat up into his body; it hurt worse than before. In a way, SSgt. Petals was immeasurably more intimidating than Sgt. Flare. But Zip held his composure fine. Taking one last look his way, she trotted away with great purpose. Zip felt his nuts drop back where they belonged, and he exhaled; he’d been more afraid than he would ever like to admit.

Having said what was needed, he wished he could reach an understanding with her, but that would come later. For now, he was afraid SSgt. Petals hated him. He prayed she didn’t think herself a failure, and he certainly didn’t intend to rub in any such idea.

Zip felt a hoof; it was Sgt. Flare, her strange eyes sympathetic. But for some reason, she was trying very hard to suppress a smile.

She patted his shoulder, “Oh, Lieutenant. Believe me, even I don’t always understand young mares. Jacinta has a few things to work out. I don’t suppose you’d like me to have a talk with her? Just to put things in perspective for her…”

Zip wanted to say to leave SSgt. Petals alone, but if there was one thing drilled into his head it was to listen to and trust the ponies around him… especially his sergeants… when they could be trusted. And he trusted Sgt. Flare. This was part of her job, after all. Her experience couldn’t be overstated; he’d be totally at ease with a pony like her in charge. Even if she hadn’t asked or if he’d told her to keep away, he was confident she’d speak with SSgt. Petals anyway.

“If you’d be willing, Amethyst, please. I appreciate it. Just don’t be too hard on her. I unofficially gave her the rest of the day off.”

She nodded, “Don’t worry, sir.”

The sergeant paddled away; she’d probably be able to find SSgt. Petals. Zip was now unworried. His 1st Squad sergeant would say what had to be said.

It had been quite an eventful day. After chatting with Sgt. Clover and letting the other squad leaders know what was happening (though he strongly and rightfully believed Sgt. Flare knew what was up), Zip would make his way to company headquarters. It would be chow time in a couple hours. And after that, he’d get familiar with the paperwork requiring his attention.


Having enjoyed his dinner—it was better than the slop he’d eaten as a recruit or officer candidate—Zip began going through the stack of papers already cluttering his desk. It was a matter of read, record, and stamp. Then he came to the report SSgt. Petals had written earlier in the day, regarding Pvt. Mill.

Everything was there and by the books. His staff sergeant had left nothing out it seemed. She may have been a little terrifying, but just looking at the records she’d been keeping told him he had a winner on his hooves. She’d done a better job with the platoon than she might have. Zip thought he might be able to relate: a young soldier sent away to some unfamiliar place to carry out what the greater military saw as a joke of a duty? If the air force had to send him to a place like Vanhoover, at least he had some decent ponies to help him through.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard somepony knocking on his door, “Uh- uh, it’s open.”

Whether Zip should have been surprised or not, he felt neither, really. SSgt. Petals entered.

She looked at him with even regard, “Lieutenant, I know you said we’d speak tomorrow, but there are some things I should tell you. Do you have time?”

Zip was pleased to see SSgt. Petals; he was content to wait until the next day, but her demeanor told him he probably wasn’t on any mental shitlist she was keeping.

“Of course, Sergeant. Please have a seat. I’m just getting familiar with things.”

She sat down, and he offered her water; it was all he kept around. She gratefully took a cup and sipped. Zip watched her a moment. The monsoon in her eyes that had his balls seeking shelter from the storm was indeed gone. She didn’t look cowed but at peace. He figured they could reach their understanding now.

She began, “First, before anything else, Lieutenant… I’m very sorry for the way I acted earlier. I kept up the front to the squad, but… I was just awful to you when you came to find me after. And you’re just trying to do your job. I know the kind of… mess you’ve inherited from me. I just didn’t know how else to run things.”

Zip wasn’t about to let her rain all over herself, “Sergeant, you did what you could and what you thought was right. Don’t beat yourself up too much. Things just didn’t work out in the end.”

She fidgeted, “May I speak freely, sir?”

He smirked, “You’re not already? That was free speaking if ever I heard it.”

The sergeant huddled up a little, murmuring. Zip was sure she’d never show this side to anypony, except maybe Sgt. Flare.

Zip leaned back and chuckled, “It’s fine, Sergeant. Say what you will. And don’t ask me next time. I told you earlier that I was going to rely on you. I will the others as well, but you’re the only staff I have. You achieved the rank of staff sergeant because you were good at what you did. Given the circumstances, you ran things as well as you knew how. What it must have been like to be sent out here… away from something you felt pride in doing. But what can I say about it? Not long ago, I had rank hoofed to me I didn’t expect to see for another year or two, if that… I don’t think anypony in the company expected... or asked... to come out here.”

Staff Sergeant Petals sighed, “Amethyst told you some things, didn’t she? It’s alright… I know I’ve been overzealous with the platoon. She’s been trying to give me advice, and I sometimes just blew her off. But I know, just as well as you do, we need to listen to each other. I… just didn’t know what else to do. I’m actually glad you sent her to talk with me—no point avoiding the subject—I know now just how poorly I was doing… where things could have gone…”

Zip decided since she was holding to honesty, he would too, “Amethyst asked me if I wanted her to talk with you. I said yes, of course, but she would’ve anyway. And I’m glad she did. You don’t need to say anything else about it if you don’t want to. I think we understand each other.”

“Thank you, Lieutenant. There’s something else.”

This got his attention, “Yes, Sergeant?”

She looked uncomfortable, “It’s about Pvt. Mill. Have you had time to look at his record? Or my report?”

Zip sighed, “Yes. Things don’t look good for him. It’s a sad record. He used to be a staff sergeant himself! Getting demoted that badly… I just don’t see how Sgt. Trove or the team let things go this far, as close as they are. And he even got better for a while, until a few days ago. The only reason he wasn’t stood up in front of Lt. Col. Spud, cashiered, and whipped against a post was he was too drunk to stand through a court today. I’m not looking forward to tomorrow… I’ve seen a few floggings in my day; once is more than enough.”

The sergeant spoke, “Lieutenant, since it’s come to a court, I can legally tell you now. And you may want to pull in somepony from the psych ward if you want to know more. There’s something not on the report.”

Zip tilted his head, “And what might that be, Sergeant?”

“I don’t understand it… not in the army, at least to a degree. We still have a degree of privacy to respect and maintain regarding ponies. Since we’re not combat, they let things slide more than is probably wise. Pvt. Mill did get better. I convinced him to go to counseling. You read the report; you know what he’s got going on, at least as far as I could cover. He didn’t want his squad to know, and I had to respect his privacy, by law.

“He was doing as well as he might have, but he kept slipping. I… stood up, or rather covered, for him when I had doubts. It was stupid of me, but I thought he could do it. Since he was at risk, I was obligated to speak up, but things fell apart before I had the chance. That’s what you saw this morning… the end of it. I knew that was the end of it when I found him. There was nothing more I could do for him. I let him stay around until he failed, when I should’ve drummed him out when I thought to.”

Zip noticed a few tears in her eyes; he hoofed her a few tissues, “I understand, Sergeant. But you acted within the law and tried to help him. It isn’t your fault, and you can’t be faulted. Try not to be so hard on yourself.”

She sniffled, “I know… But he must be punished, whether he could help himself or not. He has to go; he’s unfit to soldier, even here. I just can’t stand the thought of seeing him tied to that post and getting 10 lashes before he gets the boot.”

Zip sighed, “He won’t. I’m glad you told me though. He’ll get a psych discharge. It’s not the prettiest thing to have on your papers, but he doesn’t merit lashes. He’ll be out and be able to get some help. I’ll speak to psych before the night’s over. They’ll talk with me if it’s this important.”

Looking most relieved, SSgt Petals exhaled, “I see, sir. Would you like me to come along?”

“You’ve already spoken to them today, right?”

“Yes, sir. Right after I finished the report.”

Zip rested easily with that, “Then don’t worry about it. I’ll be fine on my own. Thanks, though.”

“Yes, sir. I understand.”

He regarded her, “Will you be alright, Sergeant?”

She nodded, genuinely; she’d managed to dry her eyes, more or less, “I will, sir. Thank you very much. Anything else you need?”

He leaned forward, “Since you’re here, we can consider other matters for tomorrow. I want to look at things a couple days, but we need to restructure the squads. You’ve been here, and you know everypony, so you’ll help me. We can balance things out and avoid any clannish behavior. We might even talk about some… platoon bonding exercises for the later week or the weekend. Since the squads can start on their own, meet me in company headquarters in the morning, and we’ll plan things out. Then we’ll have to sit in on the court—you’re a witness after all—but we’ll make sure justice is done. We’ll see where the day goes from there. Sound good?”

She nodded, “Yes, sir. That sounds fine.”

“Great. Please… I see you’re in a better state than earlier, but relax tonight. You look exhausted, so sleep well, and don’t fret. Tomorrow’s another day.”

Staff Sergeant Petals grinned self-deprecatingly, “Yes, sir. I’ll take that advice. Thank you.”

Zip bobbed his head, pleased, “Will there be anything else, Sergeant?”

She took a moment but came back demurely, “Please, sir… call me Jacinta. At least when it’s just with us and around the other noncoms.”

Zip allowed himself a smile, “Gladly. Goodnight, Jacinta.”

She mirrored his expression and left his office, “Goodnight, Lieutenant.”

Zip was just a little surprised. Jacinta had done a lot to protect Pvt. Mill, though rather than just protect, she’d been trying to help him constructively. The private had a problem, and he was getting help for it. An arrow as straight as her bending rules for some drunk beggared the imagination, even with what he now knew. It was messy, privacy laws, even in the military. The private could legally be seeking help, and his squad leader be none the wiser. What he saw that morning was simply the end of a long struggle… for his platoon. It was only the beginning of Pvt. Mill’s trouble.

Dropping the preliminary paperwork for the court in his “out” tray, Zip leaned back in his chair. He remembered the captain’s invitation to join the other officers at the club. It would have been preferable to just relax and turn in; now that he had a proper bed, he’d be able to get a full night’s sleep again. Still, he figured he had to go. He had to be sociable with the others.

Zip knew what those clubs could be like. If the lieutenant colonel’s behavior and his captain’s tolerance and amusement at said behavior were any indication, he may have been on his way to a foul place. Admittedly, he was nervous about the inevitable presence of ladies of the night. The thought of a bunch of mares crawling around him had his stomach flip-flopping. He’d envied some of the other stallions he’d known at officer candidate school. Some of them could really swing a mare… No lingering virginity problems for them.

And then there was the alcohol. Some ponies would certainly give him grief about this, but the fact he didn’t drink saved his life and 29 other ponies. Well, his diarrhea saved them… forcing him to spend half the day in the outhouse at his old post. It was pure chance he had to go when he did. But his clear mind helped too. If more ponies had been sober that day, more may have had their wits and lived.

Zip wondered how that would’ve looked on his citation: “Sober officer candidate had a bad case of the trots and avoided getting cooked along with the real officers.” All the citation had said was he wasn’t cooked when the dragon came. Regardless, circumstances helped save lives. Deciding not to worry too much, he set out for the downtown area. He’d dealt with peer pressure all his life, and he wasn’t swayed. Maybe the bartender had pineapple squash. He might as well try to enjoy the night. He’d have to sit in for a court the next day.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for The Virgin Company, updated as the story moves along. Includes character designs and platoon arrangement. Contains spoilers.


Now on pretty good terms with his earnest staff sergeant and the other leaders in his platoon, Zip should be fine.

Next time, he works to strengthen and diversify his platoon's capabilities. It won't be as boring as it might sound and he'll even learn more about a few of his soldiers.

If you haven't, please take a look at Larkspur Blossom, my first story. Lieutenant Jetscream is a hero of the main character.

Also, please look at my adventure story, Princess Essenta. It's a fun one to write.

Look for more Company Sunday after next.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next