• Published 7th Mar 2018
  • 1,695 Views, 265 Comments

The Virgin Company (currently editing) - Pone_Heap



The story of a Pegasus lieutenant, his beloved platoon, and their piece of the Centauri-Equestrian War, decades ago.

  • ...
19
 265
 1,695

PreviousChapters Next
The Northwest Pass, Chapter 6: Zip's Volunteers

In sight of the train tracks and a stone’s throw from the river, several ponies lined up alongside an imaginary grid they’d dictated in the pass below their headquarters.

It was now five days since they’d run for their lives through the prairie fire… and four since Mother Nature had unleashed her great storm.

Private Blood Sapphire’s two surveying teams had one side of the valley; they’d nearly finished evaluating the last of the square, gridded sections, among hundreds, on the level ground.

Due to the weather, Pvt. Sapphire couldn’t see Cpl. Little Song’s two teams, only a few hundred feet away; they couldn’t even see the mountains, for the land was so inundated with rain. The corporal was a mechanical engineer rather than civil, but still better than anypony else in the platoon; Pvt. Sapphire couldn’t think of a better pony to mirror his actions as they moved along. He held a crystal ball, listening to her.

Little Song’s voice emanated from the crystal ball, “I found it… This is where the molisol and spodosol meet. The clay-loam soil gives way to a much sandier loam once we hit the foothills.”

Private Sapphire wrote in a notebook; he could see the same thing on his side of the valley, “Oh, yes… Notice how abrupt the change is. This narrow pass is like a mud puddle, really, stuck in between a bunch of rocks. This river system’s pretty young, but it sure carved a path…”

“We’re just about ready to proceed uphill,” Little Song’s voice came.

“Take up position, but don’t move beyond that. And be careful; the changes in elevation will be more difficult than you might think. Stay together as best you can,” Pvt. Sapphire said.

“Right, Private, thanks,” she signed off for the time being.

Despite the mud and rain, the ponies were out assessing the land it seemed they’d wind up defending. Canterlot hadn’t finalized their plans, still…

But with ponchos to keep warm and dry and a spell cooked up by a few of the unicorns, they felt—literally—light as feathers, barely leaving hoof-prints and having no trouble moving in the muck on flat ground. They didn’t want to leave tracks; the centaurs were still apparently unaware 54 ponies were still alive up north and it was best kept that way. The rain would likely eliminate any trace of their activity, anyway.

Private Sapphire “felt” the soil beneath him; he whistled to himself, “Another pocket of oil… If it hadn’t been for that rock-break just north of the pass’s entrance, I’m guessing this patch of land would’ve been spewing fire too…”

Glancing to one side, he could see Spc. Hemp, his first team leader, take up position at the base of the slope. The two had discussed the next step in-pony, so the private moved on.

Moving closer to the incline, Pvt. Sapphire spotted Cpl. Lily Hawk, his second crew-leader for the job, looking over their surroundings. With her was Pvt. Linseed Oil, who was helping him lead the operation. It was argued Linseed should’ve been on the other side with Little Song, but Pvt. Sapphire felt she knew what she was doing. Plus, he could bounce ideas off his friend more easily.

“Blood…” Linseed nodded.

“Linseed…” Pvt. Sapphire moved alongside Lily.

Nasty water…” Lily eyed the river, just discernible in the storm. “The city spent a fortune filtering it.”

It was a wonder the river hadn’t flooded the pass, but it flowed easily to the sea, Port City being quite a bit lower in elevation. It was nasty… A visible, cloudy film rode along the surface of the water.

Linseed nodded, “Well, that happens when there’s this much oil in the soil. If it wasn’t for magic, I don’t think ponies could’ve settled out here with the crappy freshwater… and the saltwater too. Even the birds stay away…”

“S’why I told you all to not swim in the nearby waters…” Lily the former medical student muttered. “There’s hardly anything that can live in the water around here.”

Private Sapphire nodded, “Certainly killed my enjoyment of fishing… Cpl. Hawk… is your crew ready?”

“Yes…” Lily looked to her own notes. “Uh… Private Crunch!”

Private Caramel Crunch, among others, was on Lily’s surveying team, “Corporal?”

“Locate the farthest grid-point in the next section. Be careful and stay put.”

“Yes, ma’am!” Pvt. Crunch darted off to the next section, up the hillside.

The little mare’s vigor was something to behold.

“How she has this much energy in this weather is beyond me…” Lily grumbled.

“Dunno…” Linseed shrugged.

Lily turned to her other crew-members, “Spc. Porter? Spc. Butter?”

Specialists Blue Porter and Cocoa Butter answered, “Ma’am?”

“Head to the adjacent grid-points, please.”

“Will do,” Spc. Porter said as the two set off.

“Go with them, Linseed,” Pvt. Sapphire told his friend.

Linseed did so.

Private Sapphire called on his crystal ball, “Spc. Hemp?”

“Yeah, Blood?” his comrade responded.

“Are you ready to proceed?”

Specialist Hemp acknowledged, “We surely are.”

“Proceed.”

“Gotcha.”

Everypony was ready.

So, Pvt. Sapphire led Lily and her final crew-member, Sgt. Sweet Clover, up the mountainside. They trudged along.

Lily wasn’t exactly out of shape, but she was neither the outdoorsy type, nor the athletic type. But the ponies had decided to take turns working on the surveying team; the only regulars were Pvt. Sapphire, Cpl. Song, and Linseed, their proficiency required.

The former nurse whined, unusual for her, “Remind me why we surveyed the actual valley…”

Private Sapphire helped her along, seeing her nearly slip, “We need to assess the whole of the landscape.”

Sgt. Clover chuckled, “Yeah… Even though we’re just going to drop rocks on them…”

“That’s to be seen, Sergeant…” Pvt. Sapphire grumbled. “We need to find a good way to do that. It’s mountains around here but a lot goes into it. We’ve finished down here; now we have to climb.”

“Of course,” Sgt. Clover nodded. “Who’d know better than you how to do this?”

Private Sapphire allowed himself a little smile, “Right… Nopony, you keep telling me…”

The private had slain a lot of dragons in a lot of different places and landscapes; rocks from above often did the job. And using his expertise, they hoped to unleash such a thing upon the centaurs. Sure, killing thousands of monkey-horses was a lot different than crushing one or two dragons, but they had to explore their options.

A bit up the hillside they’d found the fourth grid-point; Lily indicated a hoof, “Here it is. All’s ready on this side.”

“Good…” Pvt. Sapphire opened his notebook; he hailed Cpl. Song on the crystal ball. “Cpl. Song?”

“Yes, Private?” she asked.

“We’re ready over here, Corporal,” Pvt. Sapphire stated.

“Okay… Let’s go, then.”

And so, in the terrible muck they continued surveying. Their preliminary goal was to create a three-dimensional model of the Northwest Pass and its surrounding features. They’d learned a lot about the area the Canterlot archives didn’t include and still had a lot of ground to cover. Their ultimate goal—as was stated—was to drop the mountains on the centaurs. It was just a matter of finding an appropriate way to do it.

Yes, despite the bad weather and the insurmountable odds, the ponies worked.

They’d resolved to stand and fight… or whatever Canterlot—and the lot of them—saw fit to do once they’d mapped it all out. They had their reasons.

After all, a brave stallion had given his life, forcing the army’s hoof in securing the supplies most necessary to the lives of Equestria’s citizens. And the platoon knew it; his bravery had inspired them, even the most hesitant. On top of that it was their duty—and their pledge—to protect their home. It was either fight or die, in the end; there wasn’t any better option, really.


Two days prior…

Near midnight, Zip sat alone in a dark corner of the cave-network, specifically, where Amethyst had holed up on her brief bender.

Before Princess Celestia and Gen. Fiddler Dream’s visages, he’d told his platoon the truth about their situation… He had to tell them their lives were probably—almost certainly—forfeit… that they’d all die in sight of the pass. When finally confronted with this task he’d spaced out, he realized much later. One moment several of his ponies were giving into despair… and next he knew, Jacinta was kneading his shoulder while his platoon filed out of the main cavern, humbled.

Several things had happened in between.

His five sergeants, Trip, Silver, Linseed, and Pvt. Sapphire had been quiet; they looked less ill than many others, but sure weren’t feeling good. They’d been there in the last meeting… when Celestia had all but ordered them to obstruct the centaurs at the pass; they’d had more time to process this. But none of them could find words to support those lost in the desolation.

It was unfair! It was sick! It was unlucky the ponies had wound up where they were… when they were. Perhaps all this was true.

While a lot of them quietly accepted what was likely the end… some weren’t having it.

Zip hung his head, listening to them rant and rave… Just a few days prior they’d sung his praises and practically worshiped him, their savior that delivered them from the incredible fire that had destroyed hundreds and hundreds of square miles…! But given the fact reality had a chance to creep into their hearts and minds, they weren’t quite as enthusiastic. And Zip couldn’t blame them.

I got sent here on a bad discipline charge! Why me?!

There’s nothing we can do! This isn’t our job! Have your air force fly up here and vaporize those monkeys!

Goddamn you, Lieutenant! You’ve led us to our deaths!

They screamed at the princess and the general as well, the former being quite innocent in all of this. Neither raised a hoof or a voice to defend themselves.

Some of us saw trouble brewing with the weather! Why didn’t you listen to them?!

How was somepony like Rocky Creek ever appointed a general! I wish I could’ve seen him die for this!

We have to run! There’s no hope up here! We have to run! We need to run!

Get outta my way! I don’t care! Threaten me with the noose all you like! And good luck finding me! I’m leaving!

The only thing that stopped a couple from leaving was Pvt. Mercury Rise, whom Zip had thoughtfully placed at the only exit out of the chamber that led outside. Zip still wondered if it was the private’s love and loyalty or whatever the Hell some army scientists had done to him that compelled such behavior. But that issue was for another time.

Glancing to the princess and the general, he saw they had little to offer. Then Zip looked to his sergeants; unsurprisingly, he saw little, despite three of them having fought in war and the other two being exceedingly loyal. Trip and Silver looked lost. Even Pvts. Oil and Sapphire, who’d had so many answers to questions nopony had even thought to ask, were silent. Zip couldn’t blame them any more than the rest of his ponies.

It was a Helluva thing, realizing your life wouldn’t last the winter. Ponies could scream about duty and oaths all day long, but when faced with things…

Allowing his mind to wander off, the noise drowned out. Zip heard Cpt. Basket Weaver’s words in his mind:

If our troops were to learn of the army’s priorities… I feel they would lose faith. They mustn’t lose faith! They mustn’t lose hope! These are the things that will give strength to our success. If the time comes that things are truly lost… use your judgement on the matter… You’ll know when that is; I trust you’ll know.

The captain had also instructed him to never defend or explain what he’d done to command—as long as there was hope. That confidence had passed and those running the show knew.

It was time for everypony else to know.

Zip trusted his judgement: things were hopeless or close to it—as close as he’d never wished to see.

The young officer had sat silently for so long, he was given attention when he spoke, “Everypony, shut up!

It helped that he spoke with a resounding growl; he’d had enough of the charades and hiding things. He hated hiding information from the ponies who put their lives in his hooves, and he theirs. But Pvt. Rise being some kind of military experiment could wait—perhaps never come to light. It was time for the 52 ponies in the dark—the platoon minus Zip and Amethyst—to know the truth about something far more important.

So, he told them, in a haze of emotion, of Cpt. Weaver and his final actions. And what he expected of his platoon… and of those in Canterlot. He barely registered the words coming out of his own mouth.

He concluded with, “That’s our duty. And you will follow through, all of you.”

Slowly, as if in a daze, ponies filed out. The crystal balls faded, and it became quiet. Zip didn’t really register a thing of it.

The lieutenant sat, deflating; he was spent.

“Zip…”

He juked back to reality. Looking up, he saw it was Jacinta.

“You did good, sir…” she patted his back, before resting a hoof on his shoulder.

"What did I say...?" his eyes were a little glazed.

"What we had to hear..." fighting tears, her voice was raw, having learned the pony she'd idolized for his professionalism—then hated for his supposed actions—had been more on Equestria's side than anypony likely ever had been.

He held her hoof tightly to himself and kissed it. The two sat a while before parting and going about their business.

A while later than his admittance, after he came back to himself, Zip had left his ponies in the capable hooves of Jacinta. They understood their task, and ponies far more intelligent and knowledgeable could begin without the likes of him. Presently, he was reflecting. He’d ordered nopony to visit or not visit him, so a guest wasn’t entirely unexpected.

“Sir?”

Guess who?

Zip raised his gaze, having been lounging, “Evening, Amethyst… It is evening, right?”

“Yes, Lieutenant.”

“Feeling better?” just a glance told him she was worlds better than she’d been that morning.

“Yes, Lieutenant, thanks.”

After more than a day, Amethyst’s hangover was just about gone… but the logy feeling would persist a while; she wasn’t young anymore.

“I’m glad, Amethyst,” Zip was again looking at the ceiling, mindlessly following a pattern in the rock.

“I feel a little like a plague victim, though…” Amethyst said. “It was a bad time for me to lose control…”

Zip said with little enthusiasm, “Be glad they didn’t see more… Just be glad of that…”

She bypassed his comment, “I… brought you some soup, Lieutenant. It’s quite good; it even relaxed my insides.”

He sat up and gratefully took the soup; he wasn’t hungry, but needed to eat, “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

Zip began to eat, finding the soup to be delicious. Even if it hadn’t been good, something warm was welcome. Amethyst sat in amusement, watching him eat.

The stallion turned his eyes her way, “Don’t you have something to do?”

He didn’t really mean to banish her, but he wasn’t in the best mood for her games.

She gave a tiny smile, “Same as you, sir… I’m not much good out there. S’not like I can help Linseed and Pvt. Sapphire…”

“Now you’re calling him by his name?” he wondered; it wasn’t the most important thing. “What are they up to?”

Amethyst again ignored a portion of what he said, “They’re giving everypony a crash-course on surveying.”

“Why aren’t you there?”

“I sat in on the planning; it’s just for those that’ve never done it.”

“Right,” Zip mused. “I was taught by my squad-mates in the Dragonlands; the captain had these grand ideas of improving the fort—not that anything ever came of it… And I suppose they taught you a little of everything in “spy-school”…”

“Yes,” she sat down next to him. “And I’m sure you won’t be sending me out to do the actual surveying.”

Zip knew she wasn’t lording over the fact she wouldn’t have to suffer out in the cold and wet, gauging the pass, “Well, you’re right about that… I’ll need you on communications with Sgt. Trove. Once we have data, we send it to Canterlot and they can construct a proper map.”

“They plan to divide everypony up into teams tomorrow—those that aren’t stuck on other duties. And they plan to begin tomorrow… after we talk with Canterlot again, rain or rain.”

Rain or shine… Zip thought darkly, chewing on a wad of cress stuck in his teeth, “I see.”

There’d be no sunshine… at least not for several days.

Amethyst sat quietly a moment. Then she spoke.

“Did I tell you what you did to that one centaur… the one you killed?”

“…” Zip’s mind didn’t exactly reel; he simply wasn’t sure if he’d heard her correctly, though he had.

Amethyst sat as if in a daze.

Zip, unsure of how to best respond, drummed his hooves on the floor; he gave it a go, all the same, “You know for a fact you didn’t.”

“Interested?” her voice was small, distant, a strange quaver to it.

“Should I be?” Zip felt the smallest revolt, deciding to quell her thinking.

His tone broke her ruminating.

She shuffled in her sit, “No… I… no…”

Zip could see just how uncomfortable she was, “…”

Amethyst hung her head, putting it between her knees, “I’m sorry, Lieutenant…”

Blowing out a breath, he kneaded her shoulder, “Don’t worry…”

And he didn’t worry—at least much. Amethyst was tired… she was ill… and her mind went to strange places, often.

She sighed, “What I really wanted to know was… Why didn’t you tell them?

He knew what she was talking about: he’d admitted to slugging Cpt. Weaver, leading everypony into thinking he’d killed the captain.

“Because… I didn’t want to. Nopony needs to know you had a hoof in it.”

She choked up, huddling into herself, “I was so scared you would… that you’d tell them. Celestia… Jacinta…!

Zip saw a few tears fall from her eyes.

“Try to buck up,” his knead, which he hadn’t let up, became a friendly jostle. “Have a little water; you still look a little dried up.”

Wiping at her eyes, giggling at his joke, she took the canteen he produced and gladly took a long drink; over-tilting, she spilled a little down her front, “Whoops… Oh… shit.”

“What’s up?” Zip asked.

With magic and hooves, Amethyst brushed at her front, looking concerned, “No, no, no, no-! Oh… good.”

Zip didn’t see, “What is it?”

She was slightly turned away from him. As she better faced him, he saw her pull it out of one of her pockets.

It was her little music box, the one they’d danced to in the park on the night of the ball, now a couple months back.

“You still have that?” Zip asked.

A little affronted, Amethyst scoffed, “Why wouldn’t I? I told you just what it meant to me.”

“I remember.”

He did remember. Her third husband—the only one to work out for her—had given it to her; he’d traded it for an apple with a shipmate on his navy vessel. He knew how special it was… He was merely a little surprised such a thing had made it through all they’d done and seen in the last week.

Her voice pulled him from his reminiscing.

“Would you mind if I…?”

He looked back to her, seeing she was looking most intently at the little contraption. It wasn’t hard to figure out what she wanted.

Zip gave a tiny smile, “Wind it up if you like… but no dancing. I’m dead on my hooves…”

She giggled, “Same here…”

But… she fiddled with it awhile… and began to put it away.

Zip wasn’t liking the miserable air creeping into her failing smile. Or her dulled eyes.

She murmured, “Maybe later… I’m… not feeling it…”

Zip wasn’t as clueless about mares as he was a few months prior… but he wasn’t all that adept, either, “I see…”

In truth, Amethyst wasn’t sure what she’d do in his presence if she heard the tinny little tune, just then. Alone with him, she was feeling quite susceptible to… well, all manner of things.

Still, she had something she wanted to talk about, “Sir, I know I never told you how Cross and I met.”

Zip perked up, not unhappy to see a little joy creeping back into Amethyst’s eyes, “No, you sure didn’t. I’d like to hear.”

Seeing her rocking a little on her rump, Zip was reminded of a nervous schoolmate he’d once had; she’d been a shy, reserved filly… one of the few he’d never felt uncomfortable around. It sure was strange seeing a 38-year-old mare—as fair as a day in Paradise—give into such glee. But ponies never grew out of some things… and some had little of it when they were young.

She grinned at the thought, “I actually knew him since I was about 24. I was assigned to watch over one of two Canterlot diplomats on a navy ship, from a distance, naturally… The ship was going to a summit in Griffinstone. The diplomat didn’t know what I was; he just thought I was some mare working on the ship. Cross didn’t know what I was, either. I was a custodian for that assignment; I cleaned the shitters and everything, just to keep up appearances. That was 14 years ago…”

Zip was already quite interested, “What happened?”

Amethyst smirked, “What happened? Nothing… He was happily married at that point—he was only… 25… I think. I didn’t know what he was, either, at the time. He was ‘serving’ as the physician’s assistant on the ship… and keeping an eye on the other diplomat. Not expecting any trouble on the route—it was a new, heavily-guarded merchant route formed after we eased tensions with the griffins—we were never told about each other; we were just there as a precaution.”

Zip almost laughed, “Something tells me a little trouble’s ahead.”

Amethyst chuckled, “You’re damn skippy we had trouble… Pirates. Ponies from somewhere far south… in a place where Celestia had a little less power.”

“Oh, boy…” Zip figured he was in for a ride.

“Oh, boy, indeed,” Amethyst almost gushed. “The thing is, though… nopony else noticed… other than Cross.”

“I think I get it,” Zip lounged.

“Yeah, you’ve heard this kind of thing before. The pirates were around a rock-formation on the coast where we were berthing for repairs one night, planning to attack us—I’m guessing—before dawn. So, I went for a little swim… to rig their ship to sink… and came face-to-face with Cross, doing the same thing!”

Zip shook his head in amusement, “I could’ve seen that coming.”

Amethyst couldn’t stop her laughter, “After we figured out who the other was—we’d seen each other on the ship, though we were ignorant of each other—we decided not to kill each other and did the job together!”

“I’m sure it went fine,” Zip guessed.

“Nopony was ever the wiser… other than the pirates,” Amethyst gave a morbid snicker; it was a little unsettling. “Our ship and crew never knew.”

Zip couldn’t help but smile, pleased to see Amethyst happy, “…”

Amethyst went on, “Well, anyway, we were formally introduced in a de-briefing. I can’t say we were friends, yet, but we wound up together on a few assignments over the years. We… became friends quite a bit later on, as time passed. But I never gave it a chance, really, until I met Rhubarb Leaf.”

“…” Zip just listened.

“Finding myself a husband that was finally worth a damn—and a lot more than that—finally had me wanting friends, for the first time in my life. 29-years-old and I made two friends outside Celestia… one married to me and the other married to… Late Rose…”

“Late Rose…” Zip repeated the name; it conjured visions of somepony pretty special, though he’d naturally never met her.

“Cross, he… he lost his wife about 10 years ago, a couple years before Rhubarb died. She died of something—I’m not sure what, nopony is—that drained her strength and unicorn magic.

Zip blinked. He thought… two ponies widowed

Aware or not of his thoughts, Amethyst went on, “He never let it deter him from medicine, but… he was sad… There’s no describing what a lovely mare she was, Lieutenant… She… shamed me and everything I’m about. Trust me on that.”

Zip didn’t like it when Amethyst belittled herself. But he remained mute.

Amethyst no longer seemed glad, “Lieutenant, I… I felt guilty, having my own happiness. Cross had lost Rose… and I was preparing to retire to civilian life. But… you know how that ended.”

Yes, he knew. He wrapped a hoof over her shoulders.

Her voice, strong thus far, faltered, “He saved me, Lieutenant. I told you I pretty much lost hope in life—and I came close—but I still saw some reason to live. I know that because… I never killed myself. It wasn’t fear of dying, but something else that stopped me. I… knew it would make him sad; that’s the only reason I never killed myself, I think… I didn’t want to break his heart further.”

Zip hugged her as she began to sob.

Amethyst sniffled, “That didn’t stop me from going back to work, but it stopped me from completely losing myself to my work. I did lose it, but… that’s a story I won’t be telling you. Cross and I stayed friends—good friends. He might’ve ‘saved’ me, but I sure was never willing to let him. But he never gave up on me… wanting to be my friend. I was already 34 or 35 by the time I realized what should’ve been obvious.”

Zip patted her back. He was beginning to feel a little weary, though not wishing for her to stop; it was simply taxing when Amethyst pulled deep on her sad life.

“He loved me, sir. He always loved me, but it grew. And me… I’d fallen in love with him over those three or four years, us licking each other’s wounds. I wish I’d married him when he asked me, Lieutenant…” Amethyst murmured.

Zip reeled; he’d known Cpt. Cross was interested, but an actual proposal…?!

Amethyst showed legitimate astonishment, on top of being a little hurt; it actually pulled her from complete unhappiness, eliciting a reluctant laugh, “Is it really that hard to believe…?”

Zip said with no reservation as he squeezed her close, “No… not at all.”

She snuggled into his shoulder, “I said ‘no’, of course, being the stubborn mare I was. He… didn’t ask again, but we stayed friends. I think… we both understood. I loved him… and maybe he was ready… but I wasn’t. A fourth marriage? In my mid-30’s?!

Her laughter came more genuinely. Zip couldn’t help but chuckle, feeling her shake with a little joy.

She nuzzled his neck, a little too intimately for Zip’s liking, but quickly let up, “I’m… just glad he still wanted to be my friend. He frequently bent over backwards for me, but… I don’t think I was capable of doing the same for him. He was a better friend than me… Sometimes, I wonder if he...”

Zip hadn’t let up on the hug, “He… knew. He knew…”

“I know,” she buried her face in his chest-floof.

Zip let her be a moment. And then he spoke.

“When I first met you… I was a little terrified of you.”

She pulled away just a bit, “Oh, I know you were… I may not have a set of nuts, but we mares have our own aches and pains down south when we get scared… I… laid on my ‘charm’ a little thick, just to mess with you…”

“It might sound crazy, but… that dragon was scary… I find mares to be scarier.”

“Still?” she was on the verge of cracking up, a nasty smile tugging at her lips; she'd been trying to be serious, but was unable to keep it up.

Zip smirked… Of course, she knows.

A knock came from the wall of the gallery leading to the cavern. Wherever his platonic, heart-to-heart chat with Amethyst may have led, he’d never know.

“Aww…” Amethyst grunted, separating himself from Zip.

“Well, there he is, Amethyst.”

Amethyst suddenly looked ill, “I didn’t expect him so soon…”

“Well, Pvt. Sapphire’s the one in charge,” Zip began to leave. "He doesn't need help for everything..."

Then Zip felt a magical tug at his haunches. He saw her horn glowing, holding his back-legs fast.

“Amethyst, let go…” he said.

“…” Amethyst didn’t like this; she gazed at the ground nervously.

Zip wanted to be gentle, but was a bit annoyed with her demureness, “Amethyst, it’ll be fine. And after all, you’re the one that wanted to talk to him. So… let go.”

She relented.

Zip never quite could figure her out: the mighty mare, showing such fragility in certain things. She was a wonder.

He nodded, “That’s the way. I don’t know what you’re so worked up about. It’s not like he holds a grudge… Maybe with Gen. Rocky ‘Asshole’ Creek he did, but not with you.”

This did little to comfort her, not helping to prepare her in the slightest.

Regardless, the lieutenant exited and a private entered.

“Sergeant Flare? You wanted to see me?”

Amethyst slowly turned, miserably, coming face-to-face with Linseed.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for The Virgin Company, updated as the story moves along. Includes character designs and platoon arrangement. Contains spoilers.


As things gear up, Amethyst has chosen to face a pony for whom she... may have caused a little trouble.

As the ponies continue surveying the pass, will they find a way to use their own turf against the Centauri Army? And just how will they do it?


If you haven't, please take a look at Larkspur Blossom, my first story. Lt. Screamer is a hero of the main character.

And please look at my adventure story, Princess Essenta. A princess goes on a "fool's errand" to prove to her worth, picking up interesting friends along the way.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next