• Published 7th Mar 2018
  • 1,695 Views, 265 Comments

The Virgin Company (currently editing) - Pone_Heap



The story of a Pegasus lieutenant, his beloved platoon, and their piece of the Centauri-Equestrian War, decades ago.

  • ...
19
 265
 1,695

PreviousChapters Next
The Northwest Pass, Chapter 5: Blizzard Warning

The general of the 4th Army, Fiddler Dream, and the other leaders of Equestria were communicating with Zip’s ponies as holograms via crystal ball. Every spell and security imaginable was given to the transmission.

Princess Celestia, presiding, had convinced her command to meet with Zip’s non-coms and staff alone, rather than with the entire platoon. It was easier with 40 less ponies that likely didn’t know what they were talking about gumming up the exchange.

Command wasn’t thrilled their planned declaration—which they’d still not been able to finalize or even decide upon—had become a discussion. But it was a situation none of them had seen in their collective lifetimes, other than the princess; she’d convinced them to keep open minds.

Zip figured the generals and other commanders of Equestria’s military—with their scientists and engineers—wouldn’t be pleased when their strategies were critiqued by a claustrophobic private.

And Zip was right: the leaders of Equestria were aghast… until he started making sense.

Zip recalled Cpt. Basket Weaver’s coolness in dealing with the top general, in Port City’s big conference room; the captain had likely made the decision—in that room— to throw his life to the vacuum, Zip came to realize.

And Celestia had informed the lieutenant, before his non-coms and staff had joined the meeting, that the necessary commanders had been notified of Cpt. Weaver’s actions and the true reasons for them.

Zip wouldn’t say they were humbled but their minds were a lot more malleable.

Cpt. Weaver took no shit off anypony—even the general of the 4th Army and his command (not that he’d been too out of line)—but had done so to show he wasn’t just some douche the army could push around… and to figure out what the army was supposedly up to before he carried out his plans.

Even if those running the show been more stubborn about heeding the thoughts of some young stallions, Zip felt Pvt. Blood Sapphire would’ve still been convincing. His composure came from powerful certainties he felt, and it could be felt radiating from him.

Zip noted even Jacinta and Amethyst were rapt; he’d expected them to have opinions, but… they merely listened for the time being. His other non-coms and staff were captivated as well.

Presently, the army’s engineers were arguing the merits and possibility of sending reinforcements and supplies by train in an effort to slow down the Centauri forces. Another 10 days or so and the centaurs would likely be able to move south.

The army didn’t like the idea, not wanting to advance into the coming wintery environments but they were reconsidering. How else would they slow the centaurs, other than by force? If they hoped to stop them short of Canterlot—and defeat them—they had to hinder their movement well before their reaching the capitol.

General Fiddler Dream was taking stock in all he heard, “Pvt. Sapphire… What do you think?”

The private, his shades in his pocket so everypony could see his strange eyes, stated, “Your engineers are quite right. We’re looking at over 500 miles of train track being supplanted… and that’s just with the precipitation and runoff… Linseed—Pvt. Oil—can’t say much just based on the last time we saw an autumn like this. But if we look at the climactic cycle of the last 10 to 20 years, we’re in the middle of a wet-cycle… and a cold-cycle.

“With the rainfall we’re expecting and the impending ground-freeze the track will be unseated halfway to Canterlot. Your watchers along the track noted abnormally high water-absorption, so the ground’s on its way to oversaturation. Geologically this area’s diverse: the river’s influence naturally gave the valley the shrinking and swelling clay-loam, but the surrounding land is much younger. A Helluva fire devastated this area centuries ago and it’ll take a few more centuries to see a more mature landscape, but that’s beside the point.

“Our issue is that the railway follows the valley… follows the river. The tracks are a no-go; you’re not getting an outfitted locomotive and cars within 700 miles of here, regardless of the winter weather.”

The private’s explanation was met with whispering; the Canterlot ponies didn’t like hearing this, not because it wasn’t true but because it was a lousy situation.

The general nodded thoughtfully, “Pvt. Sapphire… where’d you get your education?”

The unicorn wasn’t offended, “I was a student of geology and physics at the Canterlot Institute of Science.”

“Really?” Gen. Dream’s eyes widened slightly, his eyebrows rising just a hair.

“Yes, General, but I didn’t go for the whole schooling. I admit it was more of a technical degree, but I learned a lot more in the Dragonlands.”

“With your record, I don’t care if you got your degree off the back of a comic book…” Gen. Dream shook his head in wonder. “It’s not many a pony that saw the kind of success you did in that strange, diverse landscape.”

Nopony brought it up—though it was known—but three of Pvt. Sapphire’s operations in dragon-extermination and nest-destruction were already being incorporated into military curriculums as textbook examples. He’d planned, led, and commanded these operations despite being a private. He was that good.

A government geologist still wasn’t convinced; it wasn’t his pride as a professional as much as it was his desire to keep the option open, “General… we should reconsider-”

“I understand your concern, son,” Gen. Dream turned his way—they were in the Canterlot war-room, together, after all. “We’re not killing the possibility; we just can’t get close. I trust the private’s assertion for now.”

The geologist had a doctorate; maybe it had a little to do with his pride, “Why?”

The general smirked, “Because his life is in more immediate danger than ours.”

That shut up the geologist. It made sense: Pvt. Sapphire and Zip’s platoon had something to gain from this and arguably more, by bringing in help. And the platoon trusted Pvt. Sapphire, their lives being in the predicament they were.

This was good enough for Gen. Dream.

And it was good enough for Celestia, “I agree with Pvt. Sapphire… We must consider other possibilities.”

Zip… didn’t understand much of what was said past the bottom line. And he still marveled—along with his staff—watching his private run circles around Canterlot’s most trusted scientists. While the strategists and advisors had the biggest say, it was the underlying difficulties that dominated the discussion.

Private Sapphire rubbed his tired eyes, saying to the room in general, “Well, I was merely explaining our situation as far as the railway goes. There’s worse…”

Nopony liked hearing “worse”; they muttered to one another, their malcontent rising.

Celestia put up a hoof for silence, “Everypony calm down…”

They did so, or at least they quieted.

Celestia turned to Pvt. Sapphire, “Go on.”

“I’d best turn it over to Pvt. Oil…” Pvt. Sapphire gestured to his friend.

All eyes turned to Linseed; he’d been quiet, barely noticeable, but very attentive to all he heard.

As it turned out he also had the clearest idea of what was going on.

Linseed seemed positively daunting, drawling in his usually relaxed manner, “The fact we could get a locomotive and the corps halfway between our two locations doesn’t matter because we won’t have a chance to fight from there. Nor would airships be an option with the approaching winter; it’s too unpredictable. We know winter is almost here. You can consult the histories… the almanacs… but I say this: we’re looking at the worst winter in 50 years.”

He said it with such sureness it was unsettling. But this was met with slight derision rather than hushed conversation; it sounded like something anypony’s old grandpa might say.

A climatologist, a unicorn, scoffed, “And how would you know such a thing?”

Linseed looked to her, not feeling slighted in the least, “That’s what I’m best at… I can feel it… the same way Sgt. Flare can navigate the mind. And if that’s not good enough for you, the histories and the current conditions do all point to the same thing. It’s logical and past-proven and fairly reliable. Things move in cycles… and we’re in for the worst it has to offer.”

It was a shame… Ponies had gotten a pretty good handle on the weather but when it came to anything outside the larger cities, climate-control was in its infancy.

Linseed continued, “It’s raining now… but as soon as that’s over it’s gonna start snowing. You know what the winters are like up here at their worst… and it’s not gonna be much better anywhere north of Canterlot. We’ll see snow as high as the rooftops; that’s what’s waiting, ultimately, even a day’s journey north of Canterlot. You may as well count out using the railway a month from now.”

This was met with fresh whispers. It had been bad enough knowing they’d only possibly get any locomotives to the halfway point. Now they were looking at the northern half of the continent being impassable in 30 days.

It was a blessing the supplies sent out from Port City were presently reaching even the most rural of Equestria’s settlements. If ponies could handle the weather, which they’d been doing for as long as anypony knew, they had food and supplies to live on.

General Fiddler dream asked of Linseed, “Pvt. Oil… A month? A month until we reach such a state?”

Linseed admitted, “There’s no way to know for sure, General… It’s a near-certainty the centaurs will be leaving the north with a good covering of snow on the ground; I base that on the thought they’ll be able to move in 10 days. They’ll reach the halfway point in about 10 days once they start moving, if Sgt. Flare’s estimate is accurate. If things go that way, we’re looking at 20 days until the Centauri forces begin to reach the halfway point. I say ‘begin’ because their numbers are so great, they’ll be stretched out for a few days.”

The idea the centaurs could cover 700 miles in 10 days wasn’t at all welcome.

“It is foolishness! 10 days?!” somepony cried.

“That cannot be!” yelled another.

Similar shouts were heard.

“It can…” Amethyst spoke up for the first time since Pvt. Sapphire had begun his diatribe, quietly nursing her hangover. “Don’t forget their size. There’s only valley and prairie once they leave the area of Port City. It’s flat… easy to move if they beat the heavy snow.”

General Dream pondered, “Perhaps we should reexamine our potential line of defense… We still have the terrain north of Canterlot.”

“They’ll reach us in a month!” a Canterlot pony exclaimed.

“We’ll be buried in a month!” somepony else on the Canterlot end yelled.

An advisor counseled Gen. Dream, “Bringing ponies up there? It’s suicide, once the weather turns.”

“We need to put up a line of defense!” a strategist roared. “We need to keep them away from Canterlot as long as possible! There’s no way we’ll be ready in less than a month-and-a-half!”

The yelling went on and Gen. Dream grumbled, rubbing his own tired eyes.

The yelling went on.

“We’d have to hold them for at least two weeks to finish preparing our defenses around Canterlot!”

“But if the centaurs are caught in the weather… they may be trapped! No creature could survive the winter on that prairie without a supply line!”

“We can dream of such things!”

Zip, his sergeants, and his staff were lost amongst the bickering; Pvt. Sapphire felt his chest tighten up, as if he were trapped.

The Canterlot ponies still went on.

“Our entire strategy thus far has been based on a gradual retreat, not a fixed position! The hills north of the city cannot be fortified!”

“Meeting the centaurs in the open will be suicidal! We have no choice but to remain close to Canterlot.”

More and more upset was heard. But they hadn’t even heard the worst. One pony was rather calm, given the cacophony around him.

Linseed was considering something nopony else was.

Celestia—about to lose hope in the present situation—used the full power of her Royal Voice, noting the private, “Silence!

That shut them up.

The princess looked thoughtfully to Linseed, “What is it, Pvt. Oil?”

All eyes turned to the 21-year-old oddball, lounging against the most comfortable rock he’d been able to locate.

The stallion in question squeezed his eyes shut and sighed. He opened his eyes and sought out a certain pony.

Linseed looked to Amethyst, “Sgt. Flare… Do you think they’ll wait?”

Amethyst looked genuinely confused; she blinked, “What?”

Linseed narrowed his eyes, not to her in particular, “The centaurs… Do you think they’ll wait?”

“For what?” she was flummoxed.

Linseed calmly stated, “If they know what’s coming… and I bet they do... I think they’ll move earlier than we’re figuring.”

Everypony’s blood ran cold, including Amethyst’s.

Linseed sighed, “If they know the window they’re facing, they won’t wait for the ground to be dry; they’ll move.”

This was met with a dread silence.

“And they won’t stop,” Linseed added. “They won’t stop for anything. Once they start moving, they’ll hit Canterlot in 20... maybe 22 days.”

“What are you on about? We’ll have a line! We have the corps!” one general said; he was holding onto the notion they had a chance to stop the centaurs cold, even for a short time.

Linseed was sweating a little by then, “Even if we do stage a defense as far north as is feasible, we’ll still be facing the incoming snow. And whether they gain a few days by leaving early or they don’t they’ll be fleeing from it; the snow will come heavy quickly. Once they realize there’s absolutely no turning back… that they’ll die if they don’t advance swiftly and fully… I don’t think we could even slow them down. Not even for a day. Not with their numbers. They’ll press right into Canterlot. And we won’t be able to stop them.”

Frightened chatter broke out; this was bad.

“We’ll send an army!” somepony barked. “The fourth!”

“Even the 4th Army couldn’t slow them enough, based on our estimates!” a strategist hollered back. "It'd take more than that!"

Celestia pleaded for order, “Everypony! Calm yourselves!”

The princess didn’t sound too assured, then, despite her raised voice.

Zip looked around: Amethyst looked a little out of sorts and so did everypony else… other than Linseed.

Linseed looked ill—perhaps off-color—but he was keeping his cool.

Zip, despite it not being his place at all, began kicking at the wall; he realized it was well beyond his rank but it needed to be done.

CLACK! CLACK! CLACK!

Ponies responded to the noise by quickly but not abruptly quieting down.

All eyes fell to the lieutenant.

Celestia blinked, “Yes? What is it Lt. Screamer?”

Zip said, his voice a little shaky, “I think we understand Sgt. Flare’s and Pvt. Oil’s thoughts on the matter…”

He didn’t mean to throw Amethyst under the wagon and nopony thought he was; her manner had said volumes about what she believed, despite not saying much.

“It makes sense, what Pvt. Oil says—it makes hard, terrible sense…” Zip strangled out, not on the verge of tears but feeling a bit feeble. “But what do you think, Princess?”

A lot of “mass eye-shifting” had been taking place that afternoon; this time everypony turned to Celestia.

The princess froze.

Linseed gently said, “In your time you’ve seen many things, Princess. You probably know more than anypony living… Other than Lt. Screamer and Sgt. Flare you’re the only living pony that’s encountered a centaur and you’ve had many lifetimes to learn about them—you’ve known them.”

Most ponies didn’t hear much emotion out of Linseed. Zip figured the most he’d heard was when the private had desperately sought an audience with—as Spc. Trip Wire called him—Gen. Rocky “Asshole” Creek. Now they heard a little more.

Linseed sounded frightened, nothing at all like the confidence he’d been radiating, “Do you see things following the path I think they may?”

Celestia barely hesitated, swallowing hard; her voice shook mildly, “Your logic is sound, Private. Given the scenario you predict—and about which you’re likely correct—I see things going exactly as you say…”

This declaration wasn’t met with hushed chatter or exclamations. The ponies merely sat, an unreal feeling washing over them.

After a moment of silence an advisor voiced timidly, “We can’t face this… We should… sue for peace…”

This caused a small uproar.

“You coward!”

“Make peace with those murdering monkeys?!”

“They didn’t come here to coexist; they came to kill us all!”

The noise was incredible.

Silence!” Celestia’s Royal Voice was all but ignored.

Amethyst was the one to break the pandemonium.

She produced an orb of energy.

Kee-rack!

The crack was so loud it had ears ringing; even the ponies in Canterlot were nursing their ears.

Zip was among the first to recover, “Amethyst?”

The beautiful sergeant, skillfully hiding her hangover from most eyes, looked peaked, “I don’t think peace is an option… and I think the princess knows better than all of us.”

To her little ponies, Celestia nodded glumly, “Sgt. Flare is most correct. They invaded our shores with the intent to stay here. They will kill all in their path… It’s simply a question of how far they decide to move. The land of the centaurs is a harsh place. If they get a hoofhold—if they can occupy enough of Equestria—they’ll send more. Our fertile land is the envy of the world. And it’s not the first time I’ve seen this…”

Amethyst, her reasoning unchallenged, sat down. Zip couldn’t recall her looking quite so lost; it was hard for her to see her friend and mentor, the princess, as anything but the pony she admired.

Amethyst knew Celestia wasn’t a goddess… but it never put her off the pedestal.

Celestia was frank, “So… based on this… what are we to do?”

This was no rhetorical question; Celestia was begging for an answer—one that would save them.

Zip realized it. There was one option—one thing that might work—and nopony had voiced it, whether they’d thought about it or not. He knew he hadn't...

The lieutenant’s voice was little more than a whisper in the silent cave, “We need to stop them up here.”

Based on the responses it seemed nopony had considered such a thing.

A strategist bellowed, “Are you fucking mad, Lieutenant?! We have just over a week—at best—before they move!”

Another spouted as if Zip was jesting, “There’s no way we can get any number of ponies up there! Without support it’s suicide.”

The next remark was entirely true, “We cannot support any number of ponies in the field without air or ground supplies! And with the approaching winter…!”

“If history has taught us one thing it’s to never run into such places when winter is nipping at our heels!”

But the jeers petered out, leaving Zip to speak again; he offered, “I think… the only option is for us—those of us up here—to stop them.”

Zip’s command couldn’t believe their ears.

Nopony else could believe it either, other than maybe a certain private who’d been more or less cool as a cucumber throughout the session.

Only one pony was able—or chose—to speak.

Jacinta sputtered, “Lieutenant! Are you mad? That’s… ridiculous!”

Zip quaked, “I know, Jacinta… but if all this is true it’s the only way.”

General Dream shook his head, “Lieutenant Zip Screamer… you are mad… The only thing your platoon should be doing is moving south. It might be feasible to meet you with a locomotive or an airship partway, before the weather shifts. If you’re up there when the weather hits—even if the centaurs don’t notice your presence—you’ll all perish.

“I know you’re better outfitted with your scrounging—and you’ll never lack for water—but you can’t survive the winter up there! It’s impossible…”

Zip hummed, “I… know it’s impossible. We’re not lacking for firewood either but that won’t save us… not when the deep snow and cold comes.”

“What are you saying, Lieutenant?” the general eyeballed Zip.

Every set of eyes was upon Zip… from his friends to the princess.

“I…” Zip had trouble.

Linseed raised a hoof.

Zip saw. And he was willing to hear whatever his private had to say.

“Linseed…?” Zip extended.

With a great, shaky sigh and no small amount of visible fear in his eyes Linseed stood.

The private took a deep breath and exhaled, “We’re soldiers. We were all sent here to fill holes—like finding pictures to tack up on a gappy wall… We were sent here for 54 different reasons, all of us… Our job was to do for cheap what would’ve cost more with civilians. We served as laborers… customs… inspectors… logisticians…

“But we’re still soldiers. We vowed to defend Equestria… No matter the cost! That’s in our creed! And it’s our duty to stop the centaurs from moving south, no matter the cost. Just as it’s your duty to do all you can to prepare Canterlot for defense.

“You have time to prepare—it’s your duty to prepare… and it’s our duty to give you as much time as we can.”

Everypony was floored. Zip’s command was especially.

Sure, death was walking behind all of them and they’d seen the division wiped out in what was likely the most one-sided battle ever seen on Equestrian soil. But… even the ponies that came from combat outfits—even the hardest ponies—never thought… they’d die there

But it had always been a possibility. It was merely circumstance that their lives had so far been spared.

Celestia broke the uneasy peace, “Pvt. Linseed Oil… do you have an idea?”

She’d asked the question with all her hope behind it.

With bated breath, everypony regarded Linseed.

Linseed said, “I don’t know.”

Gasps were heard. The pony who’d seemed quite sure of everything—or at least confident—no longer had anything to offer?!

Still, he wasn’t without an idea.

Linseed waited for quiet, “But as I said… it’s our duty. We have some of the brightest minds in Equestria… on your side… and on our side of things.”

General Dream sat up higher, “So you do have some idea.”

Linseed shrugged, “I’m not sure. But we have some time. We have intelligence, experience, ponies… and we have the mountains.”

Zip got it; he stood up, “All we need to do is keep the centaurs in the north until they can’t travel.”

It sounded simple… but of course it wasn’t.

Commotion broke out and Celestia ordered it to stop, employing the Royal Voice.

Once silence was restored, Amethyst reluctantly got to her hooves, “They’re right, Celestia…”

Ponies noticed Amethyst had not used Celestia’s title. Some saw it as a disrespect—perhaps a slip of the tongue… But those in the know knew it was intentional. Amethyst formally—in that situation—resigned herself to her duty. It was visible to Celestia, seen in Amethyst’s eyes.

Celestia nodded, “I know…”

Linseed smirked at the shocked faces, most of which were on Canterlot’s end; his end was dawning recognition, “If we can keep them in the northern half of the continent for a month… they’ll all die.”

More stunned muttering came from Canterlot’s ponies; they… were unsure.

The princess stood up; she seemed to look Zip in the eye, though she spoke to her assembly, “Leaders of our great land… I wish to charge Lt. Zip Screamer and his platoon with this task. I won’t use my final authority to override anypony; I wish for us to convene in private… and discuss until we have more information, though we will act on this for now.”

Nopony other than Zip spoke; it seemed his platoon had a task, “Princess… What shall we do in the meantime?”

She regarded him, “I’d like to say ‘rest’ but I say this: gather as much information about your surroundings as possible.”

Celestia turned to the privates, “Pvts. Oil and Sapphire… how long do you think it would take you for an industrial-level land and environment assessment? Perhaps an extermination-level assessment, even?”

Linseed hummed, unsure, but Pvt. Sapphire whistled, mystified despite their situation; Pvt. Sapphire put forth, “That’s a tall order. I understand what you’re asking, though. How much area?”

Celestia replied, “Use your best judgement, Private… Consult Sgt. Flare as well… and your combat specialists.”

Amethyst perked up; she supposed she would know what to do and nodded.

Sergeant Razor Wire also acknowledged.

Private Sapphire had another matter on his mind; it was a considerable one, “Princess… there’s no way around this. I think we could manage in a few days to get the assessment completed but… we need numbers.”

Celestia understood at once, “Lt. Zip Screamer!”

She hadn’t yelled but her voice was commanding.

Zip hopped up, “Yes, Princess?”

“Private Sapphire is most correct; you need your platoon for this undertaking. They must know the situation. As was said... for the time being... we'll proceed with what we've discussed until we learn more.”

Zip hadn’t been looking forward to this; there was so much to tell, “I understand.”

Celestia was somber, “I know what this means to you… I will help you if you so wish.”

It wasn’t a difficult choice, “I appreciate it. And I accept.”

“I’m glad,” Celestia looked relieved, somehow.

Zip took in a deep breath and expelled it; he turned to his best friend and love-interest, “SSgt. Jacinta Petals!”

She got to her hooves, “Sir?”

Jacinta…” he elected to use her name. “If you would, take Silver and bring the necessary communications equipment out to the main corridor.”

Jacinta nodded grimly, “Yes, sir.

Zip rounded to his sergeants, “Team leaders!”

Amethyst, Sgt. Sweet Clover, Razor, and Sgt. Treasure Trove all stood at attention; they responded in unison, “Sir?”

“Assemble your teams. Let them know we have an important announcement. I suggest you prepare your squad leaders; I don’t want to surprise them with this.”

“Yessir!” they all said back.

Zip told the assemblage, “I don’t want to hold this over anypony’s head; we tell them now.”

Celestia said, “Very well, Zip.”

A few ponies were surprised she’d use his first name, but they understood its meaning; she held him in the highest regard.

The princess continued, “We will instruct those concerned with what we’ve discussed. We will increase our efforts on building our defenses north of and around Canterlot… General Fiddler Dream?”

The general of the 4th Equestrian Army was immediately at attention, “Yes, Princess?”

“I ask of you, please… Assist me in breaking the news to 3rd Platoon.”

“Of course, Princess.”

"Thank you..." Celestia closed her eyes and sighed; she addressed them all, “My ponies… We will do what we can. And we will reconvene in 15 minutes to announce what we must. Is that enough time, Zip?”

Zip nodded, “It is.”

Celestia said, “Very well… It will be so…”

Everypony sat or stood, many emotions flooding through them. This was quite a situation.

Celestia had one last thing to say, “Pvt. Oil… Pvt. Sapphire…”

They looked up, surprised; they replied, “Princess?”

A smile developed on Celestia’s face; it was quite a thing to see, “Thank you… both of you…”

The privates were touched; they bowed their heads, “Princess…”

And with that, the holograms faded out and the leaders and staff of 3rd Platoon were left only with firelight.

Taking a moment to get his bearings, Zip stood, “Everypony… Carry out your orders.”

They dispersed; even Jacinta and Silver left, wanting to find a place to put the equipment before moving it.

This gave Zip a moment to gather himself; he felt wiped.

But he wasn’t alone.

“Linseed?” Zip asked. “You’re still here?”

He was indeed… and looked a little wiped himself, “Yes, Lieutenant… just needed a minute…”

Zip could more than understand, “I get it…”

Linseed stood first, “I’d best be on my way, too…”

Zip stopped him, “Linseed?”

Linseed looked back, “Yes? Lieutenant?”

It took Zip a few seconds.

“Where’d you…?” Zip wanted to ask how he got so cunning but couldn’t find the words to say it nicely.

Asking him how he’d become so smart didn’t seem to fit either.

“Lieutenant,” Linseed began. “I’m not all that tough… I’ve made a lot of stupid mistakes in my life… Before I met Silver Duster, I don’t think a mare’s ever looked at me as anything but some wack-job…”

Zip was puzzled; it was perhaps impossible to argue his second and third points, “Linseed…! You’re plenty tough. You shoulda seen the way you handled yourself against those five non-coms!”

Reminded of his bloody encounter leading up to Gen. Rocky "Asshole" Creek kicking him unconscious, Linseed gave the shadow of a smirk, which showed through the worry on his face, “I’ve always been something of a spaz.”

Zip couldn’t help himself. He did a take and guffawed.

Linseed couldn’t help himself; he joined in.

The two stallions had a good, long, hard laugh.

Linseed’s laughter became chuckling and then he calmed down. Zip managed to do the same.

The private hoofed the lieutenant, “But to answer your question… I read a lot… Otherwise, it’s just a matter of listening, mostly… Excuse me, sir…”

The private left.

Zip was flabbergasted such a pony had been “quietly” occupying a space in his platoon. It was easy to forget they were the same age. Maybe he’d ask Amethyst what his birthday was… figure out which of them was older; she’d swiped the documents pertaining to the 54 of them, after all, and had them safe.

If they got out of this… Zip would recommend Linseed for Officer Candidate School. Maybe he’d keep an eye on Pvt. Sapphire, too.

He’d never seen such a thing, two privates schooling the leaders of Equestria.

But he’d see a lot of crazy shit before this was all said and done.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for The Virgin Company, updated as the story moves along. Includes character designs and platoon arrangement. Contains spoilers.


Some sound advice has come from an unlikely source. Now the platoon must learn all they can about their surroundings... without even knowing what they'll wind up doing. They're in the dark but there's little choice.


If you haven't, please take a look at Larkspur Blossom, my first story. Lt. Screamer is a hero of the main character.

And please look at my adventure story, Princess Essenta. A princess goes on a "fool's errand" to prove to her worth, picking up interesting friends along the way.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next