• Published 7th Mar 2018
  • 1,698 Views, 265 Comments

The Virgin Company (currently editing) - Pone_Heap



The story of a Pegasus lieutenant, his beloved platoon, and their piece of the Centauri-Equestrian War, decades ago.

  • ...
19
 265
 1,698

PreviousChapters Next
The Northwest Pass, Chapter 4: Selective Disclosure

Reluctantly, Zip informed Cpl. Lily Hawk of Amethyst’s condition once Amethyst had passed out. Zip decided, Lily being their designated physician on hoof, to tell her what else had transpired… when the time was right.

But as far as the rest of the platoon went… he planned to leave them in the dark unless he had a very good reason to enlighten them. Again, and again he loathed the fact he was keeping some secrets from the ponies that trusted him… Still, he was their leader and sometimes… a pony kept things close to the chest.

The other 49 ponies in the platoon just didn’t need to know Amethyst had the breakdown from which he’d somehow managed to walk away.

There was no hiding the fact Amethyst had ensconced in some dark corner of their hideout and gotten drunk to the point of sick. The other things, though, Zip would be able to hide. He had a scrape and a burn or two, but so did everypony else; they’d run through a prairie fire the day before, after all. And nopony would see the bruising he had on his ribcage, so long as he kept on a uniform. He winced a little; she’d kicked him pretty hard.

Amethyst would bounce back, he was sure. Anytime she showed weakness to the platoon or himself she could turn around 180° and come back with a powerful, commanding presence. She’d-

“Yowch!” Zip cried as Lily probed his ribs; he leapt away.

She glared at him, “I knew it… Off with the uniform, sir.”

The two of them were in the “communications room”; it was one of the few places they’d have privacy, the stores under guard and the platoon spreading out into the cave’s network.

Zip had wanted to wait to tell Lily how close he’d probably come to becoming extinct at the hooves at their resident agent-of-death.

But they’d washed the broken glass and vomit down a little crevice and into a fissure in the cave where it was lost to mortal ponies; they surely had enough water around. And they’d put Amethyst to bed, having cleaned her up, and left Spc. Trip Wire and Cpl. Little Song to watch over her as they checked equipment.

He supposed it was “time enough” he told Lily.

Nopony was the wiser that Amethyst had done a thing past her “normal” “going off the deep-end”, which she did occasionally. Amethyst wasn’t a habitual user of alcohol, but she sure went hard at it sometimes when she did. The mares in the battalion could certainly attest to Amethyst’s rhythms… So, while it was stupid for her to curl up with a bottle somewhere it wasn’t out of the ordinary, other than the situation in which they were being most unordinary.

Zip so hated hiding the truth. As worried as Jacinta and several others were about their friend it hurt even worse…

Zip had learned, though, that Lily was smarter than the average pony, and easily able to see something was wrong.

Lily deftly gave Zip a nose-to-tail inspection, having just seen the way he moved. The news she gave him wasn’t welcome at all.

“You have several rib contusions, Lieutenant… surrounding a few greenstick fractures in your mid-rib section,” she (perhaps) cruelly dug a hoof into the offending area on his left side.

Geez…!” Zip hissed. “Cut that out!

Lily was a kind pony. And she was gifted in medicine. But she wouldn’t tolerate Zip’s bullshit.

“Lieutenant…” she directed Zip lie down on his right side. “As your designated medical expert, I know more than you probably give me credit for. I know things you think are secret. I knew Pvt. Mill was seeking treatment when he started it, for example, all those months ago.”

Zip exclaimed, trying to raise his head; she pushed it back down.

“Quit moving,” she reprimanded before continuing. “And that Cpl. Painter had developed a fear of blood… I know Jacinta had anxiety attacks when she was younger; she had a nervous breakdown when she was 17, in fact… And I figured out why Amethyst wanted Pvt. Oil switched out for Silver, or rather what her excuse was; I knew about Pvt. Oil’s ‘pastime’ long before it became the biggest gossip of the year.”

Zip should’ve figured more ponies were in the know. Jeez… He felt he'd been bamboozled by the former nurse.

“But I’m sure the contents of his file are overblown; Linseed isn’t that messed up…” Lily spoke as she mashed up some herbs with a mortar and pestle. “Yes, sir, I know about most of the things around here, at least medically and psychologically. Rank, or rather, position has its privileges.”

Seems the weirdo’s rubbed off on another… Zip knew almost all of his mares called Pvt. Oil by his given name and he just didn’t understand why they were so engrossed in him, despite his recent outing by their erstwhile commanding general. Maybe it was the fact he could play guitar, or that he was “open to new experiences”—the experiences being nothing in which Zip wanted a hoof… Zip figured it was the guitar and the smaller doses of his weirdness that helped with the charm.

But the lieutenant certainly didn’t communicate this; Zip just lay there miserably, his everything hurting, “…”

“Want to know what I found out about you, sir?” Lily performed a little spell, warming her concoction.

Zip considered, “Do I wanna know?”

“Don’t worry, Lieutenant. You weren’t the only foal among us that wasn’t potty-trained before he was three…” it might’ve been a funny thing for her to say but she muttered it humorlessly, concentrated on her work.

Zip groaned; at least he wasn’t the only one, not that he cared much… He let Lily continue the procedure.

“So, no hiding this—not from me…!” she applied a poultice with the herbs to Zip’s side. “I know—probably better than you do—what kind of condition her mind is in. You may know… details I don’t and I’m certain she’s privy to some things out of you. But don’t bury this, sir.”

Zip, his side already hurting much less, eyed her, “What’s in that, Lily…?”

She knew he wasn’t stalling, “Just some herbs that grow outside the cave entrance… though I hate using a bandage like this; it’s not waste, but I wish we didn’t need to do this. But you need to be comfortable in front of the platoon; they can’t see you injured. It’s too bad your ancestry couldn’t be of better use… resilience isn’t a miracle medicine.”

There it was again… Zip mused. The Knollwing thing…

The only other time he’d broken anything was his leg as a kid. That and most other minor injuries took time to heal; it was aches and pains and fatigue that left quickly. He’d never thought much of it, knowing nothing else.

But whatever was in the poultice helped. A lot.

Zip sighed, ecstatic at breathing not hurting anymore, “I should’ve had somepony come along with me…”

Lily knew she wasn’t innocent of much of anything, “Yes… I should’ve thought better of it, sir… letting you go there on your own. I could kick myself for joking about it… making light of it…”

Zip shook his head, “Don’t, Lily. I’m… just glad I’m not dead.”

Lily knew he wasn’t going for hyperbole; he was glad to be alive. What a rough lesson that was…

“What happened?” she offered him a canteen of water.

Zip decided to leave out the specifics of Amethyst overtly coming on to him, “I had Cpl. Painter leave. I found her behind her magic barrier with a few inches left in her bottle. She said she found it when she was on her assignment and forgot about it in her bag; I believed her when she said she forgot about it.”

Lily nodded, “That I can believe. And I do believe it. More than likely she realized she had it… and that’s what happened. She gave in.”

Zip eked out, “She joked with me a moment… before getting angry.”

Lily was leery as to Zip’s potential answer; she narrowed her eyes in the firelight, “What about?”

Zip didn’t miss her wary look; thankfully he didn’t have to lie, “Amethyst… served Princess Celestia early on in her career. She was a personal bodyguard and they’re friends. The princess… weeps for her ponies. And Amethyst can feel that. I… think she blames me, Amethyst, that is…”

Shit, he knew she blamed him. Or at least that’s what she’d said.

Lily was quick in her response; she was thoughtful, “It’s not your fault, Lieutenant; both of you know better…"

"..."

"That all… makes a lot of sense. I didn’t know.”

“I know it’s not my fault. Believe me, I know…”

Lily continued to sit, “Then what?”

“She started raging about Princess Celestia and our situation and finished the bottle.”

“…” Lily just listened.

“When she realized the bottle was gone, she started to cry. That’s when she broke it. But that wasn’t what scared me. She… sent lightning from her horn.”

Lily’s face showed great concern; she took a whole moment to respond, “That was… rage, Lieutenant. Pure and simple.”

Zip felt comfortable enough to sit up; he sat across from Lily, “Yeah…”

Lily shook her head, “She was out of control, sir. Sometimes a unicorn’s magic can manifest in such a way. With her magic… Yeah… I… see what you mean when you say you’re lucky to be-”

“That’s not all…” Zip spouted.

Lily shut up.

“The… energy or whatever it was just hit the cave walls; it didn’t hurt me. But I saw… I saw Amethyst try to break off her own horn.”

Lily jarred at that, “…What?!...”

“She was running into the wall, trying to snap her horn…” Zip felt his eyes heat up.

“…”

“I stopped her. I hit that pressure point—cut her magic. She got out of my hold and… that’s when I thought I was gonna die… when she levitated me.”

She was aghast, “Lieutenant…”

Zip choked, “She said… ‘how dare you touch me there?!’ or something and I was sure she was gonna kill me. That was… I thinkwhat put her over the edge.”

“What did you do?” Lily’s expression was difficult to place.

“I said her name… I said her name and let her know it was me. She stopped right then and just curled up into a ball, howling… until she got sick.”

Lily, the impressive mare she was, was shaken; that’s what her countenance betrayed, “I see…”

Zip didn’t want it, but a sob escaped from him; Lily hoofed him a kerchief.

Lily stared at the floor, “You know about her second husband, sir… She’s told you?”

Zip wasn’t even surprised Lily would know about the possibility of his knowledge, “Some things.”

Lily nodded, “She tells Jacinta so much more than she tells me… probably because Jacinta’s… a little more naïve… more innocent and unlikely to pursue. Though, she’s told you plenty it seems… her three marriages… her filly… that strange, terrible infection that complicated her pregnancy and destroyed her uterus… She doesn’t trust me, I think. But as I said, position has its privileges.”

Zip didn’t like where this was going; he gulped.

“Lead Brick, her second husband, he… was controlling, to say the least,” Lily acknowledged. “I didn’t know Amethyst was a high-level warrant officer and a secret operative, but I know her family history... her psych file, sir… and her med file.”

Zip really didn’t like where this was going, “Isn’t that supposed to be a-”

“Fuck medical privacy, at this point, sir,” Lily rarely, rarely swore; in fact, Zip had only heard it once or twice from her.

Zip would accept this; he’d listen.

Lily exhaled sharply, “Lead Brick… before he was reduced to being a laborer, was a cop-in-training; he lacked the… stability and restraint needed so they gave him the boot. He knew that pressure-point, Lieutenant—the police see much of the same training we do. When Amethyst was… “out-of-line” he’d use it… and beat and rape her when she was helpless; it got especially bad when he was trying to get her pregnant.”

Zip’s stomach twisted… not that he couldn’t imagine such a thing, based on what he knew.

“Not that she would’ve retaliated… You know she wasn’t a strong mare in her younger days, both figuratively and literally. Amethyst was scared of him, sir. She probably still is… in a way. She wouldn’t cross him… no way… no how… How that became the 'Angel of Death'... I don't even want to know what they put her through...”

Zip could argue her point, possibly; he remembered Amethyst said she talked back to him… and suffered the consequences. She’d also tried to keep some secrets from him. But it didn’t seem important.

But there was something he could say, “So she was having a… flashback?”

Lily did a take, “Possibly… How would you know that?”

Zip permitted, “I’ve seen her have one before… over Lead Brick. No ‘lightning’ but she blew a few holes in the ground.”

Lily looked disgusted; she realized Zip knew a lot, “You fool…”

Zip did feel foolish, “…”

She had a most serious face, “I’ll let that go, Lieutenant… but you’re a fool for covering up some of the things you know… you and Jacinta.”

“I know…” he forced out.

But she took a few seconds, sighed, and actually smirked, “You’re her friend, Lieutenant… and maybe she does have that disgusting crush on you… but there can’t be so many secrets, sir. We can’t afford it.”

This stung, and Zip winced at her statement. But he did note her manner when she uttered the words "disgusting crush"; it was a strange combination of amusement, exasperation, pity, and… understanding, perhaps most of all.

Lily had lightened the atmosphere, but Zip sure felt small; he screwed his wet eyes shut, “I know, Lily… You’re right.”

“But use your judgement,” Lily put her hooves under herself. “I trust you.”

Zip nodded, solemnly taking the advice.

She stood up, rolling to her hooves, “What say we go get some chow? I’ve been smelling it the whole time we’ve been talking.”

Zip stood up, stiffly but easily enough, beginning to put on his uniform, “Anything special about the bandage?”

“It’s just for pain… It’ll numb you up for a while. I can fix your ribs later… but it’ll be painful; it’s best to numb you up—relax you a little.”

“Great…” Zip bemoaned; he felt drained

Lily hoofed his shoulder, “It won’t be that bad… and it’ll be later.”

“Okay,” Zip began walking.

Lily followed him, “I could probably even wash the bandage. That’s what I plan to do with the others… We could probably assign a few to the duty.”

“Your call, Lily.”

She wasn’t joking and Zip knew it. They’d gone through a lot of bandages already. The fire had been quite the ordeal.


Evening chow could’ve been worse for the platoon, given all things, they ruminated the next morning. Pvt. Oil, having guided a few other volunteers, had gone out searching for foodstuffs. Taking along unicorns, they were at least safer than without them if something happened; the sudden rain had definitely changed the land around them for the worst, mudslides being their major concern.

Pvt. Oil knew his stuff and they’d come across numerous edible plants and mushrooms. With what they found and what they could potentially rely upon—given areas of the hillside remained growing or accessible—they’d improved their food outlook and would eat notably better than projected.

They’d made a heaping batch of stew from cress, tubers, and other things and everypony ate until satisfied. Given the last couple days of misery, it tasted great…

Jacinta and Lily, having sat down with Cpl. Aster Yellows and Pvt. Orange Blossom, figured they’d have enough food to keep the platoon healthy and reasonably well-fed for four weeks, not including what Pvt. Oil and others could obtain. Naturally, a killing frost or a mudslide could destroy their newfound food source with little warning.

Having set a group of ponies to preserving what foodstuffs they could—that which grew nearby—Jacinta and Lily estimated they could stay fed for three months. Most of what Pvt. Oil had identified could be made non-perishable and they would certainly find and preserve more.

Their perishable food supply was minimal compared to their non-perishables, thankfully, and Zip knew that if they ate what they had to in the next few days it would boost morale, or at least keep the platoon satiated, being ample enough for that. For now, all they could do was eat and sleep, besides occasionally being sent for lookout duty.

They also hadn’t received any kind of plan from on high. All they could do was prepare for… whatever might be required of them, which entailed the above.

And no matter how well they rationed their supplies it wouldn’t take much to ruin everything. Flooding water in the cave and thievery were potential threats for which they would always monitor.

The platoon leaders had set up a schedule to guard their stores: three ponies—of different ranks and responsibilities and “factions” within the platoon—would keep watch in four-hour shifts.

Zip didn’t like it but had been advised to not let any two ponies that were particularly friendly with each other be in the same shift. It wasn’t easy, considering most of the ponies got on very well, but they managed, even changing up the groups so they’d be different.

Zip still trusted his platoon but that could change if two or three chummy ponies decided to conspire in their hours alone together and shit on the rest of them. Sadly, ponies could still talk outside of the duty.

Anything was possible in a desperate time. Zip hated it even more, but figured he’d have Amethyst feel around—or just keep her ears open—and see if anypony was colluding trouble for the rest of them. He’d ask her as soon as her hangover had completed its great undertaking.

Speaking of Amethyst…

“Our situation has potentially improved, Amethyst,” Zip told her about their most recent events. “We’ve found a food source that might extend our supplies a few weeks or longer… No fresh word from Canterlot since last night but the princess should be sending us a message in the next couple hours to update us. As far as I know things are the same as yesterday with their planning.”

The two of them were in the “communications room”, Zip having kicked out the couple of ponies he’d assigned to staff the crystal balls and watch Amethyst. This little corner had been as good as any for Amethyst to have as restful a sleep as her formidable drunkenness had allowed. Lunch was less than an hour away but Zip doubted she’d eat much of it.

Amethyst heard the news but had something more pressing—to her at least—on her mind.

“Lieutenant… how do…? Who knows… about yesterday?”

She ascertained she’d done something bad, whether she recalled it or not.

Zip sat across from his sergeant, not entirely sure of how to handle things. He’d brought her some stew—a fresh batch having been made that morning—and plenty of water, of which they had a virtually unlimited supply. Zip had to practically force the food down her throat, her nausea still wracking her insides.

The fact she seemed so frightened bothered him… but he pushed it down.

He took in a vision of his friend. He’d never seen a mare so hungover. She looked like shit and she felt like shit, clearly. He could see it, that she felt small. She was ashamed. And she was sorry. But no matter how pathetic she was at that moment it only filled him with more contempt.

Zip, not knowing what Amethyst knew about her own actions or what she even exactly meant by her question, said tiredly, “Word is you put on a show once you were probably in blackout territory. You had a bottle in your kit and nopony was willing to stop you; they were too tired or scared of you or they just didn’t care enough to try. The whole platoon knows that; they also know you holed up in some dark corner of the cave to be alone. That’s what everypony knows. I'm a little shocked they didn't freak out more, learning about your old job...”

Just recalling Lily’s very minor amusement at the situation before Zip walked in on a monster irked him; the little smirk she gave him flashed before his eyes and he met it with red. It hadn’t been Lily’s fault, naturally, and he didn’t hold it against her, but it still pissed him off.

Amethyst shuddered at Zip’s words. It wasn’t as much what he’d said but the coldness in his voice.

Zip felt coldness towards Amethyst. Once the initial shock of her actions had worn off and his ribs were fixed, and he’d been able to sleep on it, he wasn’t feeling too charitable; it hardened him. He might’ve not really known how to handle things in this situation, but he knew he was furious.

He wasn’t there to hold her hoof, or shed tears for or with her, or anything along those lines. He was there to set her straight; perhaps she’d never do such a thing again, but he’d had enough.

Everything about her was getting him more and more angry, it seemed. Her secretive position… his imagining what he didn’t know she’d done right under his nose… that—in Lily’s words—“disgusting crush” she had on him… her going after that group of centaurs alone—and the trouble that had brought… her weaknesses she readily showed him—often only him…

Yes…

Lily had wanted to go along with him for his time with Amethyst. She knew Zip’s state-of-mind had altered overnight, and was afraid, but he decided to not involve her. Even Zip knew his heart and mind had coarsened and he was sick, feeling it swirl around inside.

He’d deal with the Equestrian belle, huddled in her blanket, himself.

Zip shook his head, disgusted with her… This was probably what a twice-warmed dead hooker looked like after washing up on a beach somewhere...

“What do you know?” was the question he had for her.

Zip’s words cut; Amethyst gathered her blanket, sinking further into it.

The Pegasus leaned forward, practically hissing, “What do you yourself know? I order you to tell me…

Amethyst glanced up, shaking; she saw Zip’s eyes and there was no love in them. She looked back down, mute.

“I gave you an order, Sergeant…” Zip breathed, leaning further towards her.

She squeaked, “I don’t remember…”

“I can believe that…” Zip said.

She couldn’t look him in the eye.

Amethyst was afraid… and it didn’t sway Zip, despite knowing full-well what might’ve been going through her head.

“Well, I know,” Zip plainly stated.

Amethyst became even smaller, visibly sinking to the floor.

Zip wasn’t normally cruel… Was this even necessary? He felt even more bothered.

He wasn’t sure why but he decided to stay the course, “I know your mind’s in rough shape but put up your head.”

Too weak to resist or refuse she held up her head.

Zip put his forehead to hers, “This should work… See…

Amethyst saw, alright, her mind being what it was. She saw herself out of control… as well as her commander’s fear.

She gasped as Zip severed the connection; she choked as if she’d vomit again but merely coughed.

Zip admitted he felt better, giving her such a visceral vision of her own actions. But he also regretted it; his anger had gotten the best of him—and he knew it—but it was over. It was… immature on his part. At least he was calming down and it had saved him having to give words to it.

Zip fell to his rump and thought a moment.

In fact, he’d relaxed enough he was better able to think straight; he’d been an ass, maybe, “Ooh… I, uh… Amethyst, I-”

“Don’t apologize, Lieutenant… I’m sorry… You’ve never done me wrong…”

He wasn’t sure about that… at all, “You really scared me…”

He wasn’t quite ready for her response.

“Does Jacinta know?” Amethyst huffed, still catching her breath.

Zip did a take; he was… bemused by the childish question; it further slaked his anger.

Zip sighed, leaning back to a proper seat on his rump, “No… I wouldn’t tell her. Only one other knows.”

Amethyst nodded quickly, a little sob coming from her throat.

“Lily knows,” Zip said in a low voice. “I told her.”

The jerk Amethyst gave spoke volumes about her feelings; she shrank again.

“I didn’t have much choice, Amethyst…” Zip shuffled over, so he was sitting beside her. “She had me over a barrel and… well, she’s a whole lot more knowledgeable than me.”

“…”

“You don’t like that, do you…?”

A bitter sob was her answer, along with the vehement shake of her head between her legs.

Zip had a little trouble guessing why…

Amethyst whispered, “She knows me, Lieutenant… the real me… She knows more than she lets on…”

Zip wondered, “What do you mean?”

“She knows why I was sent to Port City, sir… She knows specifically why.”

Zip’s stomach dropped out on him; that was a heavy piece of information, “So that’s it… That’s why you have trouble when it comes to her.”

It was surprising to Zip Lily would have been able to access such a thing…

“She told you, then…?” Amethyst buried her face. “That I'm such a coward? She’s right…!

He patted her back as she broke into fresh sobs.

“I feel like… I’ve been using Jacinta!” her eyes ran like broken faucets.

Zip shook his head; he didn’t think that, “No, no, no…”

“But I have, sir!” Amethyst bleated. “It was like-”

Stop,” Zip kneaded her shoulder. “It’s not true.”

Whether she believed it or not she merely sniffled, holding her head between her back legs, “What’s happening…? Cross, he… Celestia… I…”

Zip allowed her the time she needed.

“Lily, she… knows…” Amethyst whispered. “It was in my psych file… the real one… even Celestia doesn’t know about. She saw when she was temporarily assigned to records part-time, before you came here. I doubt you realize it, but she’s got no problem… breaking a few rules to get what she wants.”

“Sounds a bit like you…” Zip mused; Amethyst had broken into the same place several times in her pursuit of… whatever it was she wanted.

Lily though… the former nurse had been right: position had its privileges. And the willingness to breach the high-security data vaults didn’t hurt, either. It was, after all, a secret, most of Amethyst's past.

“Did you ever bother looking at her file, Lieutenant?”

Zip perked up, “No.”

“Her father was a master burglar.”

“He taught her?” Zip was often a little stunned, finding out some of the things he never knew about his ponies; maybe he should’ve taken a better look at all their files…

Amethyst took in his being flabbergasted a few seconds; she sputtered and snorted laughter.

Zip was also stunned Amethyst always bounced back as quickly as she did… but…

He just didn’t know with her, sometimes.

“You sure can jump to conclusions,” Amethyst chuckled morosely, pulling out of her misery a little. “Just funning with you... No, he never taught her. But he’s been in the prison in Baltimare for 19 years for attempting to rob the Mint of Baltimare, sir, so that part’s true.”

Bemused, Zip blinked, “I see.”

“She’s a smart unicorn, Lieutenant. Brains and a touch of magic open most doors; that’s all it usually takes.”

The demure look she gave him threw him for a loop! If he didn’t know her as well as he did, he’d have confidence she was playing him.

But Zip just patted her hoof, “I hear you…”

“Right…” Amethyst felt better. “No more games.”

Zip acknowledged, “There’s not a whole lot going on. You can rest here a while longer if you like… It’s quiet and warm, at least. I’ll have a couple others come in to watch the crystal balls.”

“Sounds good. Are you planning to hold a meeting later?”

“Once we hear from Canterlot I want to gather together the rest of the squad leaders… Jacinta, Trip, and Silver, of course. Then we’ll-”

Crackle… Crackle…

The sound caused them both to turn; it was their big crystal ball.

“A message,” Amethyst noted.

“A little earlier than expected,” Zip realized the time.

Amethyst stood, “I’ll leave.”

“No,” Zip said. “Stay.”

She didn’t argue but a nervousness had taken her; Zip noticed but chose to ignore it, whatever it was. He figured both of them looked pretty haggard, living as they’d been the last couple days, so he wasn't too worried about Amethyst's poor appearance.

With a pop, Princess Celestia appeared before them. And Zip wasn’t liking the look she had on her face. She looked tired… as tired as he himself and Amethyst were.

But Celestia marshaled a pleasant expression, a stark contrast from what she was feeling.

“Zip… I decided to contact you as soon as I knew something.”

Zip sat up straight, realizing he’d already been doing so, “Yes, Princess.”

Celestia took them both in, noting their appearances; she addressed Zip with a sad smile, “You look as weary as I feel, Lieutenant…”

He was somewhat put at ease; he shrugged good-naturedly, “We all feel a couple weeks short on sleep, Princess…”

His comment was meant with a more genuine smile, “I can understand, Zip. There are times I feel a few decades short of it…”

Zip nodded, now wondering the reason for the pleasantries; he supposed none of them knew what else to do and was satisfied with that, “What that must be like…”

Celestia giggled before turning to Amethyst; she addressed Special Agent Peridot Shadow, as Zip recalled her revealed identity, “You look well-rested, Amethyst… A sight for sore eyes compared to yesterday.”

What? Zip turned to Amethyst.

The 38-year-old unicorn was as gorgeous as ever he’d seen her; no visible trace of anything negative—past or present—was to be noted.

The (not really, too old) minx…! Zip hooted internally. She’d “fixed” her appearance, as he’d seen a few times and he himself had been cleaned up… in his first 30 seconds of knowing her.

In response to Celestia, Amethyst stated, “I’m trying my best, Celestia. I… feel better.”

Celestia mused, “…”

A moment passed in the cave; all to be heard was the crackling of the small fire, lighting the cavern.

Zip realized it was time to talk, “Princess… what is it you need of us?”

“In due time,” Celestia answered, shifting her eyes his way. “Much has come to light, my little ponies… and I am wiser for it.”

Zip squirmed, again noting the unease Amethyst had begun radiating since Celestia had appeared. Whether she was upset about how she’d behaved or what Zip had disclosed was up in the air; perhaps it was both.

Celestia sighed, “What you told me, Zip, shook me

Amethyst was anxious, “Celestia… Are you alright?”

The princess closed her eyes, “I am. Please don’t be angry with Zip for the decision he made…”

“I…” Amethyst cast her eyes down; she wasn’t aware of what her eyes still betrayed.

“I can read you, Amethyst; I’ve always been able,” Celestia said wistfully. “And you look terrible, though your little ‘clean-up spell’ is still exemplary! Gladly, I can see your spirits have lifted. Please try to stay positive.”

“…” Amethyst continued to avoid eye-contact.

Celestia smirked playfully, “You have so many secrets, but I’ve always been able to read your face.”

Amethyst hoofed the floor sheepishly; it was an odd thing to see but Zip had seen her true demure side before.

“Don’t worry, Amethyst,” Celestia simpered. “I hold dear your feelings, but it was necessary for the lieutenant to tell me. It truly was.”

Amethyst seemed both relieved and humbled.

Zip refocused, “I’m sorry, Princess, but you said you had some new information.”

The princess sat a moment and relented; she didn’t seem upset about it.

“Very well,” Celestia said. “I wanted to tell you command has yet to make their decision. I gave them the advice you recommended but… I’m not privy to all their goings-on.”

Zip figured, “The separation of powers… Checks and balances…”

Celestia huffed, “Of course… I have the authority to override if I see fit, but… I’ve elected not to do so for the time being.”

Amethyst figured, “So you’re in the dark, too.”

“Yes, partly, but they will likely have a decision by this afternoon.”

Zip halted his mental processes, “‘Partly’?”

“…” Celestia flinched.

“What’s that mean?” Zip felt his breakfast churn in his trunk.

Celestia suddenly became upset, “What I do know is there is currently no intention to rescue or reinforce you. The weather… has precluded an air operation until further notice. My engineers, based on the information from weather stations along the Northwestern Railway, have determined locomotive isn’t an option either; the track isn’t structurally sound. The current weather system… extends halfway to Canterlot.”

Zip groaned… He hadn’t known the system was that big.

Amethyst blew out a breath, “I see…”

This sucked, but they weren’t expecting much else.

“I recommended sending aid, among others, Amethyst; there are many in power aware of your plight... However, as far as the whole of the world is concerned, you're all dead... And it's to be that way until circumstances dictate otherwise.”

Zip felt a pang... He'd thought about it... that his friends and family back home... those he'd served with... all thought he'd perished in that terrible prairie fire.

But he shook off the thinking; he'd managed to keep it from his mind, and he felt better for it.

Back to the subject at hoof, Zip knew what the other two knew, “Depending on the weather… there’s a possibility the window might not be open again. Air travel… may be possible. But I can understand the railway… Once the ground freezes, it’ll warp the tracks beyond passable, even those not washed out by the storms.”

“That’s what my engineers said”, Celestia glumly stated. "We're seeing weather up there we haven't seen in decades..."

Zip almost chuckled, “One of our privates told me… He’s quite a fellow, Pvt. Sapphire. He and Pvt. Oil… they saw this coming before anypony else did.”

“How do you mean?” Celestia tilted her head.

Zip admitted, “Pvt. Oil tried to counsel Gen. Creek that the weather was about to change… He’s the one that got beat up so badly…”

Celestia glowered, the story fresh in her mind, “Yes… I see.”

Zip knew there was no point regretting things, but he couldn’t help it, “I so wish we’d been able to present a better case to command…!”

Amethyst kneaded his shoulder, “Lieutenant… don’t…”

Zip slumped.

Celestia’s voice got his attention, “Lieutenant.”

Zip looked up.

“You trust these privates?”

“I do,” Zip meant it with all his heart. “They saved us, Princess.”

“I think they could be of use, still,” Celestia said. “I’d like to meet them.”

Zip felt a small glimmer of… not hope but something good, “As you wish. When?”

“Once we’re done, here. In fact, I want them to speak with my commanders during the meeting.”

Zip wondered, “‘The meeting’?”

Celestia sighed heavily, “Command wishes to announce their plan to your platoon as a whole.”

Zip… wasn’t sure he liked this; neither was Amethyst.

Amethyst fidgeted, “Is that a good idea?”

“I don’t know,” Celestia admitted.

Zip didn’t like it… but he’d take it, “Sounds fine. There are some things they need to hear…”

Amethyst noted the coldness in his voice; she couldn’t tell what it meant.

“I just wanted to tell you, Zip…” Celestia hung her head.

“I understand, Princess. Thank you.”

Celestia stood up straight, “But now we have some work to do. I want to meet Pvts. Sapphire and Oil… In fact, bring your sergeants and staff. We have possibly several hours before command emerges from the war-room. They have their authority… but you will have your say when the time comes. We will not undermine them, but they will hear your case. After all… we’re still looking at a week of this miserable weather; we have time.”

Zip stood up himself, “I see, Princess. When shall we meet again?”

“Let us reconvene in 20 minutes.”

Zip put forward, “Give us a half-hour… We’ll have lunch ready by then. We may as well be comfortable.”

The princess nodded, “I shall do the same, then. A half-hour it is. Until then.”

Celestia’s image faded and the crystal ball dimmed.

The lieutenant and the sergeant made for the exit. They felt… things were looking up—remotely yet very possibly—for the first time in several days.

“What’s for lunch, sir?” Amethyst prodded.

“It’s more soup,” Zip sniffed the air. “You can’t smell it?”

“I always get congested when I drink…”

She sounded it, too… Worse than before.

Zip had a question, “I’ve never asked, Amethyst… When you do that, your little spell to clean yourself up, is it purely cosmetic?”

“You know it…” she slumped. “Celestia’s right: I feel like shit…”

Zip nodded; despite his resilience he still felt wiped out.

But regardless of aches and pains and hangovers they set about with what they had to do.

Zip, Jacinta, Amethyst and the other sergeants, Silver, Trip, and two certain privates would be having a sit-down with the Princess of Equestria.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for The Virgin Company, updated as the story moves along. Includes character designs and platoon arrangement. Contains spoilers.


Next time, the platoon learns what is expected of them in the face of the great odds they're up against. And they make a choice.


If you haven't, please take a look at Larkspur Blossom, my first story. Lt. Screamer is a hero of the main character.

And please look at my adventure story, Princess Essenta. A princess goes on a "fool's errand" to prove to her worth, picking up interesting friends along the way.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next