• Published 7th Mar 2018
  • 1,695 Views, 265 Comments

The Virgin Company (currently editing) - Pone_Heap



The story of a Pegasus lieutenant, his beloved platoon, and their piece of the Centauri-Equestrian War, decades ago.

  • ...
19
 265
 1,695

PreviousChapters Next
The Northwest Pass, Chapter 2: The Princess and the Lieutenant

Zip had asked his soldiers for some time alone. He tried to quiet his mind, awash with so many thoughts as he watched the shadows dancing on the walls, cast by firelight in his quiet corner of the cave network.

He’d done it. He’d told his platoon, with Princess Celestia and her commanders and Amethyst assisting—or maybe he was assisting them—their situation.

Zip had difficulty acknowledging to his ponies what their general had done. The fool had cast aside advice better considered and what was likely the worst-case scenario had befallen them. And he’d disabled their means of communication, which violated numerous statutes. He’d likely never expected the centaurs to reach the pass or even move far without the division knowing; he’d just sent Zip there as a punishment more than anything and his platoon had to go along for the ride.

But it had to be said. The division was gone, slaughtered by the centaurs. Equestria’s commanders were as shocked as they were sickened by Gen. Rocky Creek’s actions.

There were tens of thousands of centaurs a day’s leisurely walk north of them. Their group of 54 ponies was the only military force standing between the Centauri forces and an easy road to Canterlot.

Canterlot was scrambling—they still didn’t have much of a plan—to figure out their next move. The only thing going for them was the terrific storm Zip’s platoon had roaring outside would keep the land impassable to the centaurs for at least 10 days, maybe even two weeks, allowing them to figure out something. A near-certain week of rain and a probable week of impassable muck had bought them some time and they needed it badly.

The centaurs would deplete their own supplies for that time just from being… but so would Zip’s platoon also deplete their supplies. And Zip’s platoon had three weeks’ rations on hoof.

There were many questions to consider… Would Canterlot abandon the plan to stall the Centauri forces? Would it still be necessary to buy the capitol—one way or another—two months (two fucking months!) of time to ready their defenses? Granted, this had been potentially reduced to just over a month-and-a-half of stalling, given the Centauri forces would be stuck where they were a couple weeks. Would they utilize the air force now while there was still time to use it?

The biggest question on everypony’s mind that nopony was bringing up was what would become of the platoon hiding in the foothills of the Unicorn Range—at least besides those 54 ponies, themselves. It was overwhelming, yes, with everything else, but the little platoon knew well enough things were bleak.

It had been slightly disconcerting for Zip, seeing how easily many of his ponies accepted Amethyst for what she was: an erstwhile nightmare to all enemies of Equestria, foreign and domestic. And she was still as such.

The fourth level warrant officer… Nopony misunderstood the clout of a pony in such a position. Despite most knowing Amethyst wasn’t some run-of-the-mill unicorn they’d never imagined such a dangerous mare drank and played and worked alongside them.

But Zip had to think again on the matter. Many ponies in his platoon—in fact, about half of them—were pretty special themselves. It was true what Cpt. Basket Weaver had said… what others had said: the army sent more than rejects to Port City; they sent the best and brightest, the ones they didn’t know what to do with but were unwilling to discard. Zip would need a couple dozen hooves to count the notably talented ponies he had under him; it was hard with only four of his own. And they knew they were special—he didn’t need to tell them that, though he did; it helped along their acceptance of the whole situation.

That said, the situation was lost on not a one of them and it could not be overstated things were bleak; they were all of them numb with a myriad of feelings, trying to wrap their minds around the situation.

One thing he was keeping close to the chest—Amethyst being the only other one in the know—was why Cpt. Weaver had apparently “gone crazy”. Zip wasn’t sure how to communicate this to the other 52 ponies that didn’t know, and Amethyst was at an even greater loss than he was. They decided—at least for the time being—if they didn’t need to know or wouldn’t benefit from knowing… then they didn’t need to know.

They’d also agreed to not mention Pvt. Mercury Rise being some super-soldier experiment until they’d figured out more, not that it was even close to being the first thing on their minds.

There was more than one reason he’d asked Amethyst to cast another sound-dampening bubble around his newly designated “communications room”, housing their crystal balls.

There was more than one reason he’d instructed he only be bothered in the event of an emergency—though the measure of one of those had been thrown pretty far out of whack. Zip was thankful to have Pvt. Rise—faithful as ever—guarding the entrance.

Zip was struggling to keep himself collected. He was scared… mainly that he’d fall apart when he was supposed to be calling the shots to the ponies he’d grown to love and that he wanted to protect. Since “feeling” Cpt. Cross’s life snuffed out Zip had either been sobbing or close to it, though he’d only wept in front of Amethyst; he’d managed to remain composed around the others… so far.

Zip wanted to curl up in a ball and cry himself to sleep.

And he did cry. He cried plenty, sitting in that corner of the cave.

But he had another reason for his privacy, though he’d not yet entirely made up his mind on the matter.

Zip never went long without remembering the last of the (and one of the very few) conversations he’d had with Cpt. Weaver. The captain had told him to do everything possible to keep ponies from losing hope… As long as things went smoothly it was the captain’s final wish the reason for his actions be kept secret. But Zip was also told to use his judgement on the matter if the time came… that he’d know when it was time.

And Zip figured it was time, after some deliberation.

He reflected on the fact he’d not consulted Amethyst on this other matter. He trusted her greatly to make wise decisions, even in the Hell they found themselves. But for this matter… he listened to his brains, his heart, his guts, and his balls… And they all told him Amethyst’s relationship with Princess Celestia might cloud her judgement—for or against—of Zip telling Equestria’s leader this most painful truth he’d been holding back.

Zip reasoned it wasn’t just personal. It was, in part, in that a brave stallion had willingly and with very little or no hesitation cast his life aside to ensure Equestria’s food supply would reach its citizens.

Cpt. Weaver knew he’d be remembered as a madstallion, perplexing ponies and being an enduring object of hatred among all ponies that would ever hear or read about him.

Zip would never forgive the army for prioritizing logistical implements over the lives of Equestria’s citizens. It may have been the army way—they were well beyond a simple state of emergency—but that was no way to conduct everything, he’d come to see, even in the army.

He was having a hard time forgiving his fellow and commanding officers—ignorant as they were and as dead as they now were—for the merciless beating Cpt. Weaver hadn’t even lifted a hoof to save himself from, despite them breaking his ribs and causing him more pain than through which most would remain conscious.

And Zip hated those officers for putting him in the position to honor another of Cpt. Weaver’s final orders.

Zip would never forget those words the captain had said:

Under no circumstances are you to defend—or explain—my actions to command. Condemn me, if given the opportunity!

Zip had condemned him, alright, slugging him hard enough to nearly crush his skull… and Amethyst had helped him along, giving him that massive brain-hemorrhage as he lay unconscious in holding.

Lastly, Zip wouldn’t forgive himself for creating the situation in which Amethyst had seen it necessary to intervene. Zip had held back, despite the incredible punch nearly killing Cpt. Weaver. If he had put everything into that punch Cpt. Weaver would’ve been dead, dead, dead and nopony would’ve laid blame upon him; that colonel Zip had so disliked congratulated Zip for the punch everypony thought killed the captain… and so had others.

Yes, Zip hated himself. But it was wrong to feel this way. He knew better… He knew it was Amethyst’s choice to do what she did, just as he knew the captain had made his own choice. Zip just couldn’t help the way he felt.

The other part—the larger and deciding factor—contributing to his decision to tell the princess was a more logical one.

He asked himself another question.

Should the public know?

That the army had readily abandoned half of the food stored in Port City in favor of a bunch of hardware? That the northern continent would’ve starved that winter and the military would've treated it as a cost of war? For hardware? Just to save money?

Zip gave this an emphatic “fuuuuuuuck, no!”. The citizens of Equestria would… Well, Zip didn’t know what they’d do.

But Celestia had to know. She needed to know.

Zip wasn’t as concerned about “ponies losing hope in their leadership”, learning of such a thing, as he was with collapse. Zip wasn’t stupid, though even the smartest pony might not see what Zip had realized.

It made the very hardest and sick-making kind of sense, but Zip knew it to be true. It also appeared convoluted, at least at first glance.

The army’s decisions led to Cpt. Weaver’s actions, which led to dissention among the division and certainly higher up. The dissention led to or at least fostered distrust—scoffing—at the concerns of experts. That’s what Pvts. Linseed Oil and Blood Sapphire were… experts whose thoughts shouldn’t have been cast aside with no consideration. This of course led to the break between Zip and the rest of the division. One thing had led to another and now there was no division.

The fact, so very clear, that Gen. Rocky Creek had been so unfit to command the division didn’t help, but it couldn’t all be blamed on him. Zip knew losing his temper, cussing out the general, and spitting in his face via crystal ball hadn’t helped anypony. But that wasn’t the issue, either.

Princess Celestia might've not had any idea but the army had its priorities wrong. Fucking wrong as Hell. And Zip had realized, deep down in the places he didn’t enjoy visiting, Equestria would be doomed if their priorities weren’t addressed and changed.

The young lieutenant saw many faces flash before his eyes… His love, Jacinta… his friends, Amethyst and Trip and Razor and Silver… all his friends in the platoon… Cpt. Cross… many faces to which he had no name to place, most of which were dead at the bottom of the Galloping Gorge… his friends and family back home… the Equestrian citizens…

He owed it to each and every one of them to see Celestia realized the enormity of this. She didn’t rule over everything, but she was still their ruler and she had the power to see things improved for the better.

Zip knew Celestia wasn’t stupid. Nor did he think her to be infallible; though he’d not pondered much on it he’d never thought of her as a goddess as most seemed to venerate. Amethyst had told him in many ways she wasn’t, and he’d been smart enough to figure it out on his own.

He had to enlighten her, if that was the best word for it. She didn’t know everything about her own forces, as she delegated her powers, and she was apparently in the dark on the matter. At least Zip chose to believe she was, relying on Amethyst vouching for her character.

Every time Zip pondered the issue it only served to steel his resolve. And he was ready. Since the ponies trying to cope with this awful mess in Canterlot were still running themselves in circles it seemed all the more important the princess injecting a little bit of some young officer’s wisdom into the plan… whatever it would be.

Wiping his eyes and beginning to clear his throat, he sat up and tapped the crystal ball sitting before him.

The crystal ball crackled and within a moment he saw Princess Celestia before him.

She looked a little surprised; he’d apparently called her during teatime.

“Lieutenant…?” Celestia actually blushed a little; it was obvious she was pigging out on sweets.

Zip didn’t mind the sight, “I’m sorry for interrupting you, Princess. Seems I called at a bad time.”

She magically brushed away a few doughnut crumbs around her face, “Oh… It’s quite alright, Zip… We completed another meeting moments ago and I was hungry. We’ve skipped a few meals in the castle, today, and this was all there was ready…”

Amethyst was right; the princess was just another pony in the end.

The princess looked guilty and pushed the food and drink away.

The young lieutenant assured her, “Oh, Princess, don’t mind me. You need to eat, too. We just had lunch.”

Celestia hesitantly pulled her tray back to herself, “I… suppose. It just doesn’t seem right, me eating such lovely things while you…”

Zip shook his head; he knew instinctively to which Celestia was referring, “Princess, you’re nothing like Gen. Rocky Creek. He ensured we’d see the spread he and his commanders had, daily and every time we had any scheduled communication. I just caught you during snack time.”

It was only slightly surprising to Zip that Celestia did a take; seeing that, it wasn’t surprising at all that she began to giggle, “Oh, Zip… Thanks for that. I really can see what my old friend Amethyst sees in you. You are quite amusing.”

There it was again… that she was just another pony. Zip didn’t like doing what he was, but he was feeling out the princess… to see just what kind of pony she was. He wasn’t just trying to be personable for the sake of being friendly.

But thinking of his gorgeous “cougar” of a sergeant…

Zip still couldn’t help but smile a little at the uncomfortable thought of Amethyst gushing over him to her old friend, their ruler, though he turned somber quickly, “I can’t say anypony’s appetite around here is strong; they’re still shaken up. I know I am.”

Celestia had nothing to say, finding no words in response; she looked jarred, “…”

Zip waved a hoof some, sighing deeply; he regretted the discomfort caused and wished he hadn’t switched gears so abruptly, “There’s not a whole lot to say on it, Princess… They’re just in shock. It’s been a full day now since we fled, and it’s finally had time to sink in. And… I’m sorry for jumping ship on the pleasantries so quickly.”

Celestia, despite her centuries of living and ruling, was rather stunned a young Pegasus had such a cool head, “It seems you’re not the stallion I first met, late this morning… You’ve… changed; I can see it in your eyes.”

It occurred to the young Pegasus Celestia’s gaze was to his cheeks. He’d just been crying and had been for a time. His eyes certainly betrayed a competence he wasn’t feeling.

Had he changed? It was difficult to say. But he wasn’t feeling like much of a stallion.

Zip didn’t deny anything about his fears, “I assure you, I’m the same. I’m barely holding it together, Princess. Anything come of the last meeting?”

Zip asked only because he was still unsure of how to proceed; he knew the likely answer.

She elected to begin eating again, “Nothing, really. This is… unprecedented in their lifetimes, Zip.”

Zip knew he had an angle to move on, “I suppose. But we have the slight convenience of time on our side. It will be 10 to 14 days before the centaurs can even move.”

Celestia swallowed a bite of doughnut, washing it down with tea, “This is true, the small blessing it is.”

A moment of quiet ensued.

Had Zip not been in the moment he would’ve reveled at the fact he was speaking—pony-to-pony—with the ruler of Equestria as if she was a semi-formal acquaintance.

Still, he didn’t like taking advantage of Celestia. By now he realized she acted in faith and any other occurrence of her dealing with such trouble was far in the past, many generations before. If she had experienced what he was working towards, anypony else that lived through it was long dead. He was about to abandon his path and just address what he wished to, but he didn’t have to. Celestia opened the door for him.

She looked suddenly taken by emotion, “Despite all this, Zip, I’m so proud of all of you.”

Zip hadn’t been ready for her conceding—unwittingly so, of course—to his line of attack; he hadn’t realized himself what she was getting at, “What…?”

Celestia again set aside her treats and moved closer into his view, “Oh, Zip… I mean your success in emptying out the port. My commanders refuse to acknowledge the fact but given the projections I received the division did a remarkable job in securing and distributing Port City’s food stores.”

There it was. The terrible time Zip desired yet didn’t had fallen into his lap and started to wiggle.

He still needed a moment to mentally prepare, especially since it had dropped so suddenly, “Oh… that…”

Celestia almost looked aghast, “What do you mean, ‘oh, that’…? It was a remarkable feat! In only a few weeks’ time the division evacuated all the civilians and more than 90% of the stored food and goods! Given that terrible situation at the end of the first week of operation, it was commendable to move almost twice what was projected possible!”

She’d addressed Cpt. Weaver’s actions. And her entire being was free of wrongdoing in his young but sometimes wise eyes.

So… she was innocent of it, Zip decided, watching her go back to her snacks. He saw the younger side she apparently hid from most—the inexperienced side… the innocent side… the one Amethyst mentioned. It was jarring she’d show it to him; only a few living ponies had likely seen it.

Zip again regretted what he was doing. He’d also taken advantage of Amethyst, picking her brain about Celestia to prepare himself for what he’d been contemplating. Whether the sergeant had caught on or not…

It could be concluded Celestia’s commanders were avoiding the subject. After all… how would Celestia respond knowing those she trusted with running her military had sentenced half of her subjects to starve that winter, in favor of saving machines? Perhaps they took advantage of her and she was led to believe they’d only attempted to move food and necessary supplies. If it was kept quiet, it wouldn’t be difficult to cover up.

No more games… Zip would just say what he had to.

“Are you alone?” he breathed.

She was perplexed, “Uh… yes. Why?”

Alone alone?”

“What’s this about, Lieutenant?” she took on a more serious tone.

“Please answer me.”

She looked at him a moment before answering, “Yes.”

He gulped, “We… need to talk about something, Princess. Somepony… About… Cpt. Basket Weaver.”

Celestia stopped chewing, “Zip, you… What?

The expression Celestia showed him had his stomach twinge… and it bothered him.

“What do you mean, ‘what?’?” Zip didn’t mean to sound confrontational, but her response set off dynamite in him; his thoughts on the subject were rather pained.

She looked perplexed but soon became heedful of Zip’s upset… or whatever was going on with him; she figured he was just exhausted, “Zip… I love all my little ponies… and it hurts, sometimes. I cannot begin to understand why the captain did what he did… But… I don’t think one stallion going mad is the most pertinent issue now, especially with the success of the operation. It’s a miracle nopony was injured, but beyond that-”

Zip couldn’t listen anymore, “Stop…

Celestia—in a way reminiscent of Gen. Rocky Creek “grinding to a halt” his dismissive actions when Zip had called him a motherfucker—did so.

Zip’s tone was… scary. And Celestia wasn’t often scared; she didn’t like it.

The bite of doughnut she’d magicked to her mouth fell out, finding a new home in her lap; she eyed him sharply, the affection having left her voice, “What was that?

Most ponies would’ve been terrified—they wouldn’t be able to process Celestia’s snappishness she’d displayed—but Zip wasn’t just anypony.

His balls didn’t even retreat into his lower trunk as they normally would when a mare got angry with him.

He lowered his gaze, “I told you to stop.”

Celestia wasn’t sure what to do; she was flabbergasted. It wasn’t often anypony spoke to her in such a way. She didn’t mean to be so offput but… hey, she was the ruler of Equestria. This only happened once or twice in a generation. How was she supposed to react?!

The two glowered at each other.

What followed was awkward, neither knowing what to say. And it took a minute or so to break the ice.

But in that moment Zip calmed himself; he rubbed his eyes and exhaled tiredly, “Look, Princess… I’m… very sorry; I shouldn’t take out anything on you.”

It was unfair of him; she had no idea what he was upset with her about.

She blinked as if snapping out of a daze, “Oh… I, uh…”

“I don’t know why I did that,” he put his head between his knees before looking up again. “Please forgive me.”

She took on a kind face, “Oh… it’s alright, Zip. Things are… strange. I’m sorry as well.”

Zip closed his eyes, “Princess, I… There’s something I need to tell you…”

The earnestness—and pain—in Zip’s voice certainly caught her notice, “What would that be?”

Zip huddled up a little, slouching in front of the crystal ball, “Cpt. Weaver never went mad. He did what he did to save the food supply.”

It didn’t seem to register with Celestia; her eye twitched, “Huh?”

Zip knew she’d have a hard time with it; perhaps he should’ve explained himself a little better first before hitting the punchline, “Princess… the food and goods weren’t the first priority in the evacuation. Your commanders sent explicit orders to move military hardware nonessential to the first line of defense. They ordered cranes, lifts, and machines to be sent out prior to food. That’s why the original projection was around 50%.”

Celestia was stricken, “But… They told me… They told me…”

Zip rubbed his temples, “I don’t know just what went on, but they may have been hiding the truth from you.”

“They never said your implements were the first priority!” Celestia exclaimed.

“And they probably didn’t address the issue at all, Princess… We… can get into that in a moment.”

Celestia was able to surmise things, “So… Cpt. Weaver did what he did so the division would concentrate its energy on the food and goods?”

Zip was pained to see the misery in her face; he sighed, “He did… and for the entire span of time leading up to the first locomotive showing up he falsified transmissions and other messages in and out. The real orders… he ignored them entirely. And when the time came his own orders could’ve been halted… he demolished all the implements the army wanted.”

Celestia’s mouth moved, though no words came out. Her eyes were vacant, her gaze nowhere in particular, “He… did that?”

Zip didn’t want to get into the gory details surrounding Cpt. Weaver’s death, for Celestia’s and Amethyst’s sake. But if Celestia wanted details… he’d tell her the horrible truth, as far as his own involvement went; he’d not put any of it on Amethyst’s plate—not to a friend and mentor of hers.

The young lieutenant anxiously patted his hooves beside himself; the words he said next hurt, “And he willingly died for it… But you know… how he died.”

She nodded, shaking some with wet eyes, “Yes… he died of injuries in holding… His own fellow officers… did that to him…”

Yes… we did… Zip’s stomach almost revolted.

Zip steeled himself, “It’s a secret he asked me to keep… unless there was reason to break silence.”

Celestia likely heard nothing past the word “secret”, “Who else knows about this?”

Zip was trying rather hard to not cry, “Other than us… and the locomotive engineer Cpt. Weaver duped-”

“A locomotive engineer?” Celestia felt as if she’d been spun around.

Zip nodded, “If you don’t know he either kept his mouth shut or… somepony kept it from you. The point is he’s one of the ponies who knows. Cpt. Weaver threatened him into leaving quietly.”

“He’s one of the ponies in the know?” Celestia looked worried.

Zip replied at once, “Amethyst knows. And I think Cpt. Cross might’ve known. He and Amethyst were… closer than I realized.”

He wanted this to be over. He didn’t think he’d be able to hold it together much longer.

A mist took Celestia’s eyes and she allowed things to move off topic a few seconds, “It wouldn’t surprise me Amethyst could figure it out. And Cross knowing… wouldn’t surprise me at all. They really were the best of friends, Zip… and both psychic, so… you may be right.”

He watched as she dabbed at her eyes.

“I… don’t know what to say,” Celestia finally confessed.

Zip knew, “I think it’s important the public doesn’t know.”

“You… what?” Celestia blinked away a few tears.

“The public cannot know, Princess.”

She took on a wretched look, “Such an injustice… My generals…! Cpt. Weaver… How can I…?”

Zip shook his head, “Because they’d fall apartrevoltpanic! Equestria would destroy itself if they knew their leaders had done such a thing! Concern yourself with that another time, Princess. I’m just letting you know.”

The childish question came from her mouth; she didn’t even think to stop it, in her sadness, “Why? Why tell me such an awful thing if there’s nothing I can do about it?”

Zip knew this was new territory for Celestia… and he told her the truth, “There is something you can do—something you must do. Your commanders don’t yet have a plan. Let them know this—let them know you know they’ve been working under your nose towards the wrong goals.”

If Celestia didn’t look sick already, she did now, “What do I…?”

Zip wasn’t sure if she was entertaining hanging somepony up by the neck until dead but wouldn’t tolerate that, “Don’t punish them; let them know. The consequences of their actions—whatever—can wait. Just let them know. Let them know they must have their priorities right before proceeding.”

Celestia didn’t know what he meant, not that it might have occurred to her, “And what priorities would that be?”

“They’ve been thinking like generals… which they are. They’ve been viewing the citizens of Equestria as pieces on a board; perhaps they can’t help it. They need to value life above all else. Valuing other things will lead to collapse.”

Celestia wasn’t sure where Zip got this stuff from, “How do you…?”

“It all leads back to that. If life isn’t sacred above all else… then I don’t know what’ll happen, Princess.”

She thought some, “How could things go so wrong…? How could they abandon the north?”

“Because they’re looking at this as a continental catastrophe. Some of the population starving by spring against dealing with the invasion now? It makes sense on paper. The centaurs have the power to obliterate us and they were preparing for such a war. The hardware they prioritized was valuable—despite not being weaponry—and it was in the best interest militarily. But that doesn’t work in life as well as on a board.”

“…” Celestia looked torn apart.

“I think Cpt. Weaver said it well. He could understand as a soldier—it made sense—but he condemned such thinking as a pony. Ponies aren’t pieces on a board in a strategy room; they’re ponies. And unless we recognize that in our strategy, I think we’re doomed.”

Celestia visibly gulped, sniffling a little, “I… think I understand, Zip. I… need some time to think.”

Zip looked down between his hooves, blowing out a breath, “I need to do some thinking… on whether to tell the platoon or not…”

Celestia bade Zip, “Look at me.”

He did.

She gave a sad smile, “You really are a marvel, Zip… Use your judgement. Cpt. Weaver seems to have trusted you… and you didn’t betray his trust. You were right to tell me. Thank you…”

The words struck him; he didn’t feel worthy, given everything, “Princess… maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. Maybe I’m just some young fool. But I know that if we don’t change things then we’re in trouble.”

“Things will change, Zip. We’re going to sit down and come up with a plan… And it will be of the greatest benefit to all.”

Zip nodded.

Celestia took on a terribly melancholy mien, “I must say… I’ve known a lot of officers in my day, Zip, but I never met Cpt. Weaver. You were blessed to have known him. I… think you were fortunate to have a pony like him looking out for all of you. And I’m glad he was given command.”

Zip teared up at that; he couldn’t help it. But he only had to hold on another moment and his conversation with the princess would be over.

She didn’t mean to push him over the edge, but she couldn’t stop herself from speaking further, “You were fortunate to know him, Zip. And I’m so very glad he had a pony like you to lean on… when it mattered most.”

Zip’s will gave out; he let out a strangled sob, his muzzle almost hitting the rock between his hooves.

“Lieutenant!” Celestia cried.

He looked up to her, “Princess… I’m scared! I’m so scared!

She watched in concern as his manner worsened.

He fell to his side and tucked up his legs. In the fetal position he wailed. It took him a moment to collect himself.

Slightly ashamed of himself for losing control it took him a while to speak; he dithered before trying to meet his tearful gaze with hers. Still, he felt better.

“Princess… I’m sorry,” he breathed.

It was as surprising as it wasn’t to see Celestia shaking, wracked with her own sobs.

“Princess…!” Zip was suddenly much more concerned for her than himself.

“Zip… please… stay with me a few minutes…. Let me cry…”

She reached a hoof towards the crystal ball, her eyes pleading. Compelled, he did the same; he had few tears yet to shed but would be there for her.

“Yes, Princess.”

And they kept their connection open a little longer, knowing they had a new confidant in whom to find comfort.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for The Virgin Company, updated as the story moves along. Includes character designs and platoon arrangement. Contains spoilers.


At long last, Company has returned.

The chapter was exposition heavy but it's been a while since the last release and the young lieutenant has had a lot to think about. Having "woken up" their ruler in the ways of war they will hopefully have a better chance when the shit really hits the fan.

Next time, Zip deals with the aftermath of this conversation and the platoon gears up for war.


If you haven't, please take a look at Larkspur Blossom, my first story. Lt. Screamer is a hero of the main character.

And please look at my adventure story, Princess Essenta. A princess goes on a "fool's errand" to prove to her worth, picking up interesting friends along the way.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next