• Published 23rd Jul 2012
  • 30,198 Views, 3,573 Comments

Families - Darth Link 22



Spike and Scootaloo are acting strange, and Twilight and Rainbow Dash are going to find out why.

  • ...
57
 3,573
 30,198

The Runaway

Finally, after a particularly long and uneventful day, night fell. Twilight put away her law reference books, it was time for dinner. She had laid out a buffet of daisy sandwiches, salads, hay fries, a few gemstones for Spike, tea and water, and various other things.

Smiling to herself, she walked up her stairs to the bedroom and poked her head in. "Spike? Come on, it's time for dinner."

Spike responded by continuing to lie on his back, right on Twilight's bed. His eyes were closed, and they didn't look like they would be opening anytime soon.

Not that this little detail stopped Twilight. She walked up and prodded the baby dragon. "Come on, wake up. You're the guest of honor."

"Hughn," Spike grumbled, turning a bit but not waking up.

Twilight sighed, using her magic to levitate him up. Gently she placed him in his basket, tucking him in. With a final kiss on the cheek she walked out. Spike had been tired all day, the ordeals of the previous day having taken the strength out of him. He had drifted in and out of sleep while Twilight had read to him that day, and ended up asleep for a good while as Twilight had returned to her studies. She had hoped that he would wake to attend dinner, but it didn't look like that was going to happen.

She was just putting away the gemstones when Rainbow Dash, the first to arrive, tumbled in through a window and landed on the floor. Dusting herself off, she turned to her friend. "Am I late?"

"Nope, you're actually early," Twilight noted, her face looking curious. "Rainbow, did you just fly a marathon?"

It was a fair question, it looked like exercise had been all her friend had done that day. "I've been training Scoots all day," the pegasus noted. "I finally just asked her about her family."

"You did?" the unicorn asked, breath hitched. "Did she say anything?"

Rainbow Dash rubbed the back of her head awkwardly. "She tried to run again, but we were up on a cloud and she couldn't. Then she got real defensive, said it was none of my business. Then, she kind of broke down."

Twilight winced. "What did you say after that?"

The pegasus shyed away. "I let her cry for awhile, then made her promise she'd tell me if something was wrong."

Her friend sighed, shaking her head. "So the problem's still up in the air, huh?"

Rainbow Dash was spared from answering by the door opening and Fluttershy coming in, with Applejack close behind. "Twi, are Pinkie and Rarity here yet?"

Twilight was a bit stunned at the intensity of her friend's words. "I haven't seen them yet. What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is that those two have been going around town tellin' everypony that you skinned them dragons alive. You'd think you were some kinda crazy person."

The unicorn gaped. "Come again?"

"I had twenty different ponies ask me to clarify if you killed them dragons, and every one of them heard it from one of those two yahoos."

Twilight shook her head. "So the whole thing is going to be all over town soon... really, I'm surprised Rarity wants it getting out. I figured that was something she would think was improper.”

“Maybe,” Rarity said, walking into her friend’s house after hearing the tail end of the conversation, “but not telling everypony about those awful brutes would simply be irresponsible. Why...”

She was cut off by Applejack jamming a hoof into her chest. “Well why th’ hay have you been tellin’ ponies that Twi killed those dragons?”

“I have not,” Rarity said, sounding a bit offended. “The rumors can get out of hoof sometimes. You know how it is.”

"I oughta," Applejack groaned, "I've been puttin' up with 'it' all day."

"Well, I apologize, but I most certainly haven't been adding any embellishments."

“Yeah, I haven’t been telling anypony anything that didn’t happen,” Pinkie said.

“Oh, hello Pinkie,” Twilight greeted. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

Silence washed over the room as the five not pink ponies processed the previous sentence.

Twilight placed a hoof on Pinkie’s forehead. “Wow, Pinkie, are you alright?”

The earth pony shifted a bit. “Well... I have something I need to tell all of you.”

Rarity and Fluttershy had been expecting this. The other's however, had worried looks on them. Rainbow Dash’s hoof hit her forehead. “Oh for... when did we get all this drama in our lives?”

“Rainbow,” Rarity scolded.

Applejack placed a hoof on her fellow earth pony’s shoulder. “Whatever ya need to say, tell us.”

“Let’s eat first,” Pinkie said quickly. “It’s a long story... and where’s Spike? This dinner is for him.”

Twilight kicked the floor. “He’s asleep. He’s out of energy from yesterday. I tried to wake him, but...”

The other ponies groaned. “But... this was to celebrate him recovering!” Pinkie pouted.

“Well, let’s not let all this food go to waste,” Twilight said. “We’ll do something with Spike later. Pinkie, why don’t you tell us what’s wrong?”


Daring Do and the Griffin’s Goblet was looking to be even better than the last book, Scootaloo decided. She lost herself whenever she was home, which was fine with her father, who always liked when she wasn’t getting in the way.

A knock sounded on the door. In a flash the filly slid the book under her pillow and smiled. A moment later, Speedy Delivery came in. “Hey there, kiddo. What have you been up to?”

“Oh, today I just... I just hung out at the clubhouse,” she said weakly. “Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell were busy today.”

He nodded, but looked at her daughter carefully. “You look a little worn out to have just been sitting in that clubhouse all day...”

Scootaloo shifted around uneasily. “Oh. Well... I did ride around on my scooter a bit... I guess it was hotter than I thought out today.”

She laughed. Her father leaned in. He was still smiling, but there was something sinister in it. “Kiddio...you know I don’t like it when I’m lied to, don’t you?”

“Of course.”

“I really hope you’re not lying to me. Don’t tell me that I raised a bad kid,” he leaned in closer.

“You didn’t,” she assured, squirming.

“Good. I mean, it’s bad enough that you’re too clumsy to fly, I’d hate for you be a liar.”

Scootaloo opened her mouth to say “Yes, daddy”, but something stopped her.

Don’t let anypony tell you you can’t do anything... not even me.

The words of Rainbow Dash.

“I’m not clumsy.”

Speedy Delivery stopped cold. He looked at his daughter, his eyes wide. His body began to shake. At that moment, one could hear a pin drop.

“...What did you say?”

“...I said...” Scootaloo took a deep breath, “that I don’t think I’m clumsy.”


Pinkie looked at the table, then at the five friends who were gaping at her.

“You mean... they actually...” Twilight said slowly.

A few tears forming in her eyes, Pinkie nodded. “They... they weren’t happy...”

Fluttershy patted her back gently. Pinkie looked at her for a moment, and the yellow pegasus nodded a supporting nod.

“So... what happened next?”

Pinkie's forelegs ached as the pick dug left splinters in her hooves. She wanted so bad to rest, but her father's cold gaze on her moving on.

"I... I don't understand," the pink earth pony sobbed. "I just put together a party.."

"You know what you didn’t do?" Clyde asked coldly. "Your chores. The work we need to survive on. A cutie mark in such a frivolous pursuit? Bah!"

"But...”

“No buts. You can dress it up all you want, devoting your life to parties is laziness.”

“But we had a get-together last week..."

"Don't compare the two," the rock farmer snapped. "Enjoying oneself after a day of work is fine, but all you want to do is laugh and play!"

"I... I want to make ponies happy..."

"If that were true," he answered sternly, "you'd be working to be a doctor, or a philanthropist, something that would do real good, not just being a distraction to ponies."

"But..."

"Enough. You still have a lot of work to do! I'll make you into a respectable pony!"

"...Granny Pie would have listened to me..."

Clyde stiffened. It was like Pinkie had punctured him with a knife. Tears began spilling from his eyes. "You..."

"She would have loved..."

"Don't you dare lecture me about her!" Clyde said angrily. "I knew my own mother, a lot better than you do. Don't think I don't!"

"I know you did," Pinkie said, crying. "You were so sad when she..."

"Don't. You. Dare," Clyde said angrily. "Just get back to work." With that, the head of the farm stomped off angrily, leaving the filly alone with her work.

The ponies looked on sympathetically as their normally cheerful friend cried at the painful memories. Pinkie had fallen into Fluttershy's forelegs, and the yellow pegasus nuzzled her friend comfortingly.

"I don't believe it!" Rainbow Dash yelled, banging the table with one of her hooves. "How could they do that to you?"

"They just didn't understand," Pinkie wept. "I... I just wanted to make them happy... I was still going to work..."

Twilight sighed, a hoof on her forehead. "It sounds like... it sounds like your father had an ego on him," she concluded.

Pinkie actually looked up at the unicorn. "But... he always said humility was a virtue."

"Ironic, isn't it?" the unicorn answered dryly. "There's been a lot of ponies who have believed they were in the right, even while they were doing the wrong thing. Tartarus overflows with them."

Pinkie hiccuped and nodded. "That makes sense."

"Pinkie..." Applejack asked carefully. "About your granny...your pa loved her?"

The pink mare nodded. "She was so wonderful. We had parties all the time when she was alive...not really colorful ones, like mine, but still really fun. She'd sing songs, tell us stories, everything!" For a moment, Pinkie sounded like her normal self.

"When she died...Dad changed. He seemed like he was always smiling, laughing. After...he was just so sad. He almost never smiled. He had never been mean to me or my sister's before I got my cutie mark, but he seemed...different."

Applejack sighed. "I remember how I was when Ma and Pa passed on," she muttered, taking off her hat somberly. "I guess yours was just as sad.

"But that always confused me. He never cried, even once. I think...he was trying to be strong."

There was an awkward silence for a moment. It was Rainbow Dash who broke it.

"Well, what happened next?"

Three days of constant plowing, rock breaking, and house cleaning later and Pinkie decided she had had enough. She remembered her dear Granny Pie's words, telling her to keep laughing in the face of adversity, and to always do what she felt needed to be done.

She knew what she needed. She needed to leave.

In the dark of the night, she packed up her things. Her saddlebags filled with blankets, a pillow, a few slices of bread she had nicked from the kitchen, and a photograph. It was something she had mentally debated with herself on, deciding whether or not to take it. Through it all, she still loved her father and mother, and even though they were being cold now, she knew they still loved her.

Inkie and Blinkie were sympathetic, she could tell, but they feared similar punishments. They couldn't help her, but she still loved them. She wanted to remember him. Finally deciding she could fix this if she regretted it, she stuck the photo in the bags as well.

She slowly stepped down the steps, taking note to step over the ones that creaked. She managed to reach the bottom with no incident. Carefully, she made her way across the room, inching closer to the door. She cringed at every noise, the house settling becoming her greatest fear.

She reached the screen door of their farmhouse, and slowly brought her mouth around the knob. It opened, creaking a bit. Deciding it was best now to go for broke, she opened the door in a flash and bolted out.

She stopped at the bottom of the porch steps, catching her breath. The hard part was over, she was in the clear. She began trotting away.

"Hold it," a voice said coldly.

Pinkie's mane stood on end. She looked behind her. There was nopony there. She swung her head curiously until it finally traveled up.

Her father's head was sticking out of the bedroom window, and he did not look happy.

"Where. Are. You. Going?"

Pinkie trembled... but remembering Granny Pie's words, she spoke. "...I can't stay here."

"You are going to stay here," he demanded.

"...I can't."

"Come back inside, now!"

Pinkie did the exact opposite of what she was told. She turned around and began running, ready to outrace or hide from her father. His next words, however, stopped her cold.

"If you walk out, don't bother ever coming back!"

She froze in place. For several seconds, or perhaps even minutes, Pinkie couldn't quite remember now, there was a stalemate.

A hoofstep, then another, and Pinkie's legs carried her away from her childhood home. The sound of a window slamming down filled her ears for a moment, but it seemed to echo forever.

Halfway down the road, a new sound filled her ears. "Pinkie!"

She froze and turned. Her mother was chasing down the road after her. She began to pick up speed.

"Pinkie, wait! Please, stop!"

To her own surprise, the filly actually stopped. She turned to face her mother, and was surprised to see that her eyes were moist.

"Pinkie, please... don't leave."

"I have to," Pinkie said sadly. "You're not letting me have fun..."

"Pinkie, we're only trying to do what's best. Please..."

There was a silence. The runaway looked down the road, then back at her mother. "You spanked me..."

"...We... we might not have done it the best way. We were only doing what we thought was for the best. Please..."

"You hurt me," she said. There was no anger, only sadness.

"Pinkie, please... come back to the house and we'll talk. I'll calm your father down, I promise...you can go back to your normal chores...please..."

The cries had genuine sadness and fear in them. They tugged at the filly's heartstrings. She wanted so badly to obey, but she wanted to leave too. Maybe she could work things out...

...

"You didn't talk to me before."

It wasn't said in anger, or even sadness. It was a mere statement of fact.

She turned. She walked.

"Pinkie! Pinkie, please!"

She kept walking.

"Pinkie!"

She didn't look back.

"...Fine! Walk away! But don't come back! See what's it's like out there! I hope I never see you again!"

She kept walking. She didn't look back. She never looked back. She walked, and walked, until the sun rose on the horizon. By then, she had entered the area of crop farms. She found a bale of hay, crawled into it, burying herself in the straw, so deep she could pretend the rest of the world didn't exist.

And then she cried.


Speedy Delivery was not happy. And that usually meant trouble for Scootaloo. But Scootaloo wasn't happy either, and she was determined to make it mean trouble for Speedy Delivery.

"You don't think you're clumsy, huh?" the older pegasus said slowly. Then, like flipping a switch, his demeanor suddenly changed. "Well fine, I mean, how am I to know? I only raised you and gave you everything you've ever had."

"Including my scooter," the younger pegasus challenged. "I've done things on that you wouldn't believe."

"Of course you have," he said sweetly. "Since you can't fly, you have to settle for a poor substitute. It's nothing to be ashamed of, sweetie, you're just not good enough..."

"I am good enough."

"Of course you think that, because you’re spending far too much time playing instead of learning. You're just a..."

"I'm not stupid!" Scootaloo screeched, causing Speedy Delivery to hold his ears at the sudden increase in noise. He glared at his offspring.

"I think you're forgetting I'm your father, I know best. You listen to me..."

"I don't care!" she challenged. "You're wrong!"

"You can't fly!"

"I did today!"

Scootaloo's hooves clamped over her mouth in horrific realization at what she had just admitted. Her father was no longer trying to hide his rage, though he was keeping it pent up. "What?"

At this point, Scootaloo decided to just go for broke. Determination seeped back in her voice, rage she hadn't even been aware she had kept pent up came to the surface. "That's right! I flew! Rainbow Dash offered me lessons and I took them! She helped me fly! I flew farther than I ever thought possible today! I could do it! You just couldn't see it! You were wrong!"

It was like a weight off her chest. She stood proudly, firmly... for a moment. Her father's gaze which seemed to bore right through her, got her to shrink down.

Then, Speedy Delivery took a breath.


Pinkie took a deep breath. It was easier now, making it through her story without losing it. Fluttershy acted as an emotional brace, having heard the story before. Her friends had varying reactions.

"I don't believe it!" Rainbow Dash said angrily. "How could they... how could she ask you to stay after all that? How could you even think of staying?"

"I don't know," Pinkie said sadly. "Maybe I should have stayed if they were willing to talk things out..."

"No way," Rainbow Dash said bluntly. "They were being jerks. Just drop them!"

"...Isn't that what we did to Twilight?"

The cyan pegasus looked like she had been stabbed in the gut. Twilight flinched as well, the memory still painful for her.

"Well... that's different, this seems pretty black and white..."

"We thought that at the wedding too," Fluttershy pointed out gently.

"Pinkie..." Rarity said slowly, "I cannot say whether or not you made the right choice in deciding to walk away, but I must ask: did you ever consider going back to try and patch things up?"

After a pause, Pinkie nodded. "I thought about it, but I... I could never work up the courage. My dad and mom were so mean... I don't think..."

They were quiet while they let Pinkie regain herself. She continued. "I don't think I can face them."

"Why the hay are you bringing this up to us now?" Applejack asked. "It seems... a bit out of the blue."

Pinkie was quiet again. "Princess Luna told me I needed to talk about this. I... I guess it's been messing me up for awhile..."

"...Like at your birthday?" Twilight asked quietly.

The earth pony nodded. "And... and my parents are coming here, to Ponyville."

Five sets of eyes popped out of their heads. "What?"

"I got a letter from them a few days ago. They say that they want to come and... and try to make things right."

There was silence.

"Are... are you going?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"...Yes," Pinkie said. "I need to."

There was another silence. This time, it was Twilight who broke it. "When are they going to be here?"

"In about ten days."

"Do you want us to be there?" Twilight asked gently, already knowing the answer.

"Could you please? I'm so scared..."

"You really have to ask?" Rainbow Dash said, as if she had just asked if ice was made of water. "Of course we will."

Pinkie knew in the back of her mind that all her friends would say yes, but actually hearing it happen made her cry. For the next several minutes, she just let her friends comfort her. Everything was going to turn out just fine.

However, the moment, was interrupted by a knock at the front door. Excusing herself, Twilight walked to answer it.

She was quite surprised to see two members of the Royal Guard standing before her.

"Lady Sparkle," one greeted.

"Oh, um, hello," she said, stunned. "Can I help you?"

"We were sent from Canterlot to search out the three dragons you reported earlier today. We haven't found anything in a three hundred mile radius, so we're about to give an all clear, we just need to ask you a few questions."

As Twilight handled the guards, Rarity excused herself. Covertly, she signaled for Applejack to follow. The two went into another room.

"Okay, Rare, what's up?"

"Applejack... Pinkie talked to me earlier today."

"She told you all this?"

"...No. She told me something else."

"What?"

"Oh, I think you know."

"...No, I really don't."

"Oh Applejack, you don't have to hide your feelings from me. It might be difficult, but I think you could make it work."

"Huh?"

"You really must be open to this. If you go tell Twilight how you feel, I'm sure you two can..."


"Finally, this is the last one," Vinyl noted, levitating the last two boxes into the living area. "I don't see why we couldn't hire some movers for this?"

Octavia rolled her eyes. "Really, this apartment costs five hundred bits a month. We need to cut corners until we get savings."

"Cruddy Canterlot... I don't see why I had to move here instead of you moving to Ponyville."

"Because there's not much demand for a fancy cellist in a small hick town."

"Oh, here we go, do you always have to insult my town?"

"I did no such thing!" Octavia said, insulted.

"Yesh, news flash, prim and proper, hick generally has negative conotations..."

"Oh, wow, you now know a four syllable word, how wonderful," the grey mare answered with a roll of her eyes.

"And that's another thing, do you always have to..."

"PINKIE!"

The two mares threw themselves at each other, locked in a fearful embrace. "What was that?" the earth pony said fearfully.

"It must be the end times," Vinyl said quickly. "Quick, let's make out while we still can!"

The fancy mare rolled her eyes. "You are just a simple minded creature."

"...Sorry," the unicorn muttered as she began to pull away, but her partner tightened her grip.

"I didn't say no."

Author's Note:

Okay, last time I'm going to use this joke, promise.

Sweet Celestia, this was hard to write. Both Pinkie's story and Scootaloo calling her father out...wow.

Note: Scootaloo's scene isn't over. Far from it. You'll see the real fallout next chapter...this isn't a climax. I might reword the scene later, because I'm not %100 happy with it yet...

Now, important: thoughts on Clyde? I'm not saying my intention, I need a genuine reaction to him. Let's see if I wrote him right...