• Published 23rd Jul 2012
  • 8,748 Views, 821 Comments

Sins of the Mother - Duffman18



Twilight's most recent research unleashes a terrible foe on Equestria

  • ...
28
 821
 8,748

Chapter 18

“What you ask for is absurd!” Helmholtz was still fuming as he stared across the table at the so-called ‘Crimson Warlord’.

“Why human? You promised help and now we are asking for it.” Helmholtz slammed his fist onto the table hard enough for a faint crack to be heard from the wood.

“Help we did promise, but what you are asking is almost all of our forces in Canterlot and the eastern provinces. We are still engaged in warfare on two fronts and we cannot afford to send you so many of our troops. It would leave us near-defenseless!” The warlord leaned back and sighed. He was a large example of a diamond dog easily towering over the human before him. His fur was black as night and at his waist were large broadswords inset with massive rubies, matching some of the rings adorning his paws.

Negotiations had been going on like this for the past few hours. Humanity was more than willing to help in the ongoing civil war, but not if it would cost them their security on the surface. The problem was the warlord needed these forces and needed them soon. Other clans were encroaching on their territory more and more every day and if something was not done soon, he and his dogs would be wiped out within the month at best; and a week at worst.

“I understand your concerns human, but right now I cannot afford to make use of any less than my ally’s full strength.” Helmholtz sighed and stared off into space for a moment, gathering his thoughts.

“Very well. Then I have a question for you: with your abilities you could clear collapsed tunnels relatively easily after your victory correct?” The warlord looked confused for a moment before answering.

“Of course. It would take time, but we are well suited for the task.” Helmholtz smiled at this assertion, a plan forming in his mind.

“Very well then my friend. While I cannot, unfortunately, allow you the use of the Blessed or the line soldiers, I can grant you the use of a few elite units not being put to much use at the moment: the grenadiers.”

----

The air around Canterlot was thick with tension. Human patrols had been increased and new watchtowers and guard stations were being constructed at major intersections. As the search for those who had killed the human guards lengthened, the humans had begun to take more and more action in an attempt to expedite the search. More and more the decisions and actions taken by the Interim Council were being undercut.

Random checks of civilians and mandatory searches of all ponies crossing through major checkpoints were now commonplace. However this had the added complication of the occupation forces spreading themselves thin throughout the whole of Canterlot in an attempt to expand their drag net. Fancy Pants strode through the marketplace, shaking his head sadly. The normally bustling market place was now a veritable ghost town, ponies no longer really as safe as they had been to linger and meet up in the markets as they once had. Even many of the shop owners seemed to have been affected, carts and stands lying empty, with shops lining the street now baring signs declaring them closed or even wooden planking nailed over the windows.

“Makes you think doesn’t it?” Fancy Pants started before turning around and noticing that a nondescript pony had emerged from one of the side alleys

“About what exactly? He replied, eyes narrowing as he tried to discern who exactly this pony was.

“About how things have changed since the sun was cast down.”

“Indeed,” replied Fancy Pants. “But I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, old chap that no matter how dark things may seem the sun will always rise again.” The other pony nodded at this and gestured towards another of the side alleys dotting the street. As the two reached the mouth of the alley, they could see a trio of figures hidden in the shadows further down. They walked down until they reached the midway point and the figure on the left then held up a hoof.

“That’s far enough. It would be best if we could keep our identities as secret as possible.”

“Indeed,” said the central figure, his voice coming out in a sibilant hiss. “One may never know when the eyes of the false ruler are watching.” As Fancy Pants’ eyes were drawn to the central figure he noticed one particular feature that, when further away, he had not been quite able to notice: the figure’s height. He easily towered over the two obviously equine figures on either side of him and, while it took longer than Fancy Pants would ever admit to, he knew exactly what he was looking at: a human.

----

They were still here. Another week had passed and still the human forces clung desperately to what little land they had been able to secure outside of Stalliongrad. The river had long since overflowed from the constant downpour, overtaking the makeshift bridges the human had been using during their sallys, forcing their front lines back further. But even then they had stubbornly remained, though the sheer number of their attacks had lessened considerably without a reliable river crossing. The downpour had affected their makeshift siege weapons as well, though even then the sheer number of siege engines they were constructing made it so that the dull thudding of heavy stones striking the walls echoed nigh constantly.

As Swiftblade flew over the city, he could see massive lines of ponies waiting to get into well-lit buildings as the rain battered down upon their shivering forms. He sighed as he swooped over them, knowing that there was very little he could do for them now. While the massive storm they had conjured had been extremely beneficial, indeed many would say that it was the only reason the humans had not already overrun their walls, it had caused flooding, food spoilage, and the spread of disease throughout much of the city. In many of the older areas of the city, one could see the barricades made to quarantine the infected from the rest of the population. Matters were not helped by their inability to even forage for food as the rain and human forces made it an extremely dangerous, and generally fruitless, task.

When he at last arrived at the meeting, everypony present was already discussing whatever issues, ideas, or proposals they had come up with since the last meeting had been held.

“Apologies for my late arrival,” said Swiftblade as he took his seat at the head of the conference table. “But the storm made flying faster than I was an exceedingly dangerous task.” The rest of the ponies gathered around the table made noises of agreement before an earth pony that Swiftblade didn’t recognize stood from his seat.

“Agricultural Minister Golden Harvest sir. I . . . I have some bad news for you.” Swiftblade just sighed.

“That’s about all we seem to have nowadays. So what do you have for me?” Golden Harvest looked grim as he glanced over the documents arrayed before him.

“Our food supplies are dipping to dangerously low levels. Within a week, we will not have enough food to support an estimated 30% of the population, and within two? We will not be able to support an estimated 70% of the population.” The ponies around the table fell silent at the delivery of the grim news. A pegasus dressed in guard armor raised a hoof.

“But what are the estimates including the rationing system we put in place?” Golden Harvest looked back at him and his expression looked even more serious than before.

“Those estimates included the rationing system.” This announcement caused a flurry of whispers and worried conversation while Swiftblade just slumped back against his chair, shock evident on his face. As soon as their food ran out, the battle would be lost. It would only be a matter of time before the well supplied army outside their walls would overwhelm the starving and weakened forces within the walls. With a supreme effort, Swiftblade was able to find his voice and focused his attention on Golden Harvest.

“Is there any way you can think of that would allow us to extend however much time we have before running out of food?” Golden Harvest thought for a moment before responding, his golden brown coat glistening in the flickering light of the fireplace.

“The one thing that could be done immediately is break up the storm. The rain is causing wide-scale food spoilage of food grown within the city and in the storehouses. It needs to go if we are to have any chance of extending the lifespan of our food stocks. “

“But the storm is the only thing keeping the humans from deploying their heavy weapons,” replied Swiftblade. “If we break up the storm clouds, then they will be able to bring out their cannons.” Golden Harvest gave Swiftblade a pointed look.

“Then you have a decision to make don’t you sir? We can either maintain the storm and hold out until starvation sets in, or we can break it up and fight against bad odds with fully fed soldiers.” Swiftblade wanted to get angry at the flippant response, but knew that Golden Harvest was right. The storm had served its purpose and now it had begun to outlive its usefulness.

“Very well,” replied Swiftblade before he turned to the rest of the ponies gathered around the table. “Then the storm has to go. Get whatever pegasi we have that aren’t on guard duty to get to work on it.”

“Yes Sir!”

----

Captain Night Flight could see the innumerable fires scattered about the ground below. Thousands of humans all huddled together within the ruins of what was once Appleoosa and what was now the site of an impressive military installation. If he looked closely enough he could see the watchtowers and the cannons which manned the walls of the fort. It was troubling to say the least as the numbers present here were greater than even their worst estimates had been lead to believe. And it was this very news which made this raid all the more important.

Looking behind him, Night Flight could see the hundreds of pegasi who flew with him; all clad in black flight suits to disguise them against the darkness of the night sky and the dark clouds beneath them.

“All right,” he began, his voice just loud enough to be heard by the various squad leaders scattered throughout the attack force. “You all know what our mission is: once the lightning begins to scatter them we fly in and take out their powder stores. Then we fly out. No more, no less, understood?” There were scattered responses of “yes sir,” throughout the host behind him.

“Right then,” he murmured to himself. “FIRE!” Great bolts of actinic lightning arced out from the swollen storm clouds beneath them, striking into the main bodies of troops on the ground below. Within seconds, a great chorus of screams echoed across the plains alongside the hurried orders of commanders trying desperately to rally their men. With the distraction now in full effect, dozens upon dozens of pegasi flew through the depleted sections of cloud towards the scurrying madhouse below.

As they all landed hard on the ground, the humans around them took notice and began to charge them. These pegasi, however, were not like any the humans had yet faced. They were well-trained and far more vicious than the royal guard forces the humans had been fighting until now. Blades attached to their wings flicked out at the advancing humans, many lacking either armor or weapons, and blood sprayed out in great spurts. Night Flight led the charge, carving through the unprepared humans with a relative ease as beside him his comrades did the same.

It did not take long to identify where the main storehouse was as great lines of humans were rushing towards it, barrels of gunpowder being flung out and delivered to the cannons. Night Flight and his pegasi took wing with torches clasped to their sides. At the sight of the Equestrians, the guards stationed around the storehouse took aim and opened fire. The pegasi’s numbers began to thin as rifle shots cut down the unarmored Equestrians with deadly alacrity. Weaving left and right in unpredictable spurts of energy and activity Night Light made his way to the windows of the storehouse, lighting and hurling in the torch at his side. Others followed his lead and the humans, seeing the burning brands being thrown into the storehouse, ran as fast as they could in an attempt to escape the fate they knew was coming.

Night Flight turned and, with a great burst of effort, launched himself away from the burning warehouse just as the fire reached the powder. With a thunderous blast of sound and heat, the storehouse exploded outward in a great fireball. The heat and force slammed against Night Flight’s back as he flew away, driving the breath from his body and driving him into the ground. He laughed all the way down however, knowing that he had struck a blow against the humans.

It was at that point that the hissing started. Night Flight blinked in surprise and began to look around seeking to find the source of the hissing just as a burst of green light exploded beside him. With the green light came the mangled, burning form of one of his squad mates. He could see the same fate befalling dozens of his fellows as bolts of green light arced upwards into the storm clouds above, which were stilling disgorging lightning into the mass of the human forces. Struggling to his hooves, Night Flight came face to face with the snarling faces of dozens of Changeling drones.

“Well, well, well,” came a distinctly female voice from behind the drones. “What have we here?”

----

The storm was coming apart. Emperor Aurelian watched the sky as the Equestrians pulled apart the very thing they had created. It seemed that his advisors had been right. While it had hurt his army, causing the spread of disease and even temporary hunger as good amounts of their food stores had spoiled, the storm had hurt the besieged city just as much if not more so than it had hurt the humans. With the storm now being banished humanity could finally begin to make use of its most powerful weapons once again.

Indeed, he could already see the siege cannons, having been placed in storage for the duration of this siege, being pulled through the mud into position to assault the surprisingly powerful walls before them. But it was clear that while the cannons would speed the siege up immensely that it would still be some time before they were able to break through. He would need to set his engineers to work on more . . . indirect ways of breaching the enemy defenses.

“My lord!” Turning away from the growing siege line, Aurelian saw Orin walking swiftly towards him accompanied by . . . what looked disconcertingly like bipedal dogs.

“Lord General,” Aurelian acknowledged, nodding at him. “May I ask who your friends are?” Orrin stopped in front of him and gave a slight bow of respect.

“My lord may I present the envoys of the Crimson Warlord.” The Emperor looked over the new arrivals, noting the well-developed, but almost primitive appearance of these “envoys.” The one in the lead bowed low to the Emperor.

“Greetings, Warlord of Mankind. I am Gembiter, envoy of the Crimson Warlord. My lord has instructed us to assist his new allies in any way I can.” Aurelian considered this for a moment.

“Interesting. From your appearance, I assume that you are adept at tunneling.”

“Indeed we are.”

“Then I do have something you can assist me with.” Aurelian swept his arm towards the towering walls behind them.

“We need those walls to fall and I do not believe the cannons will be able to do it fast enough. I would request that you send some of your troops to work with my engineers and work to tunnel to the foundations of the walls. Then we will bring those walls crashing down upon our enemies.”

----

Applejack could barely believe what she was seeing or hearing.

“The right side?” she asked, almost incredulously. “Rainbow Dash they invaded OUR home, killed OUR friends and family and you think that they, rather than the princesses are the RIGHT SIDE?!” Rainbow Dash cringed and Applejack tried to calm herself down. She had barely noticed her voice rising to a shout, but she still was stunned that Rainbow Dash of all ponies would begin to support the humans.

Rainbow Dash just stared at her friend, slightly afraid of the angry look on her face, but knowing full well that Applejack didn’t understand the question as she did. Pulling herself together, Rainbow Dash raised her eyes to meet Applejack’s own, her expression more serious than it had ever been before. Even Applejack could see it and it was able to momentarily cut through the haze of her anger.

“I’ll address your concerns first AJ. The humans are invading yes, but they are invading their own home that the princesses stole. They are killing those that they believe killed their own people as well. This isn’t a war of invasion as much as a war of vengeance, but that’s not the point of my question.”

Applejack was stunned. She had never seen Rainbow Dash like this. She had always been driven, fun-loving, lazy, and one of her best friends. But now it was like looking at a different mare altogether. This mare was serious, determined, and implacable as iron. And Applejack was no longer so sure of herself as she stared at the serious visage before her.

“Alright then Rainbow, I’ll bite. If that’s not what your question was about, then what exactly did you mean by the asking if we were supporting the ‘right side.” Rainbow took a deep breath and gathered her thoughts before answering her friend, knowing full well that what she was about to say could change everything between them.

“Applejack. We’ve seen and heard of what humans have done. We’ve seen and heard what the princesses have done. Both of them have done things that could be considered good and things that could be considered evil. But of these two sides there is another side who, while not perfect by any stretch, have not sunk to the depths that the humans and the princesses have.”

“And what side is that exactly?” Rainbow walked over to the window to stare out over the city as the sun set, sending the last rays of daylight spilling over the cityscape.

“It’s the ponies of Equestria Applejack. Maybe after all these years, it’s time for the ponies to step out from the aegis of the princesses.” Applejack could barely believe what she was hearing.

“Rainbow Dash. Are you . . . are you saying what I think you’re . . .?”

“Yes Applejack that is what I’m talking about. It’s finally time for the ponies of Equestria to stand up and fend for themselves again.” She then shot a small smirk back at Applejack.

“Long live the revolution.”

Author's Note:

Sorry about the long wait everyone, but with projects, papers, my own personal projects, and other claims on my time I have had relatively little time to work on this to the best of my ability. I hope that you enjoy this chapter and have a good weekend.
If you have any questions just post them in the comments or PM me, and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.
So in this chapter we have the Siege of Stalliongrad finally heating up again, the Equestrians beginning to strike back against the humans, and the first introduction of the Diamond Dogs to the war proper, as well as Rainbow Dash plotting a revolution behind closed doors. In addition we even have humans meeting with ponies in Canterlot. Everything is beginning to kick into gear on all fronts of the war it seems.