• Published 23rd Jul 2012
  • 27,392 Views, 2,251 Comments

Displacement - hornethead



A Special Operative gets stranded in a strange unfamiliar world and must learn how to cope.

  • ...
131
 2,251
 27,392

PreviousChapters Next
New Addition

Chapter 46: New Addition

Almost an hour later, the girls had been dropped off at the edge of town, some of Rarity's luggage mysteriously disappearing, and the Fixers were now unloading their own personal effects back at HQ. Flash was about to open the door to the engine compartment when James rushed to stop him.

"Hold on there buddy, I have to talk to you all before we open that up."

"Why? What's going on?" Flash asked suspiciously.

"I'll explain in a moment. First I want you guys to get situated, then meet me in the readyroom. Understand?"

"Yes."

"Good. Now pass on the word and have everyone seated there in about ten minutes."

James sat and guarded the door while the rest of his team went about taking their effects off the transport and stowing them somewhere nearby until their leader released them to go home. James waited until he saw each and every one of them enter the readyroom before opening the door behind him and entering the engine compartment. Laid out on the deck against an adjacent wall was Garth, the illusion spell had worn off now, but he was still fast asleep. James knelt down by the hulking mottled skinned warrior and began to wake him.

"Garth, wake up. We're at your new home." He said, lightly slapping the slumbering giant's face a few times.

Like a flash of lightning, the behemoth's eyes shot open. In shock, Garth jumped to his feet and began wildly swinging at some hostile threat he had perceived in his half-wakefulness. James ducked the first few blows, but had to block and catch the fourth and fifth, wrapping the fighter's arms with his own and throwing him against the bulkhead. Garth bounced off and charged him. James quickly ducked another swipe at his face and nearly took a kick to the face, but instead caught the strike and ran forward, throwing the Lotkin off balance and putting him on his back. Moving swiftly, James immediately pounced on Garth and held him down as he tried to calm the furious warrior.

"Hold on, hold on buddy, no reason to fight, you're safe."

Garth slowly ceased struggling and looked around at his surroundings, "Many apologies, Ahrhati Khot! I did not mean to cause you harm, I merely thought I was back in battle once more."

"It's ok, I know the feeling. You ok to get up now?"

"Yes, Ahrhati Khot."

James stood up and moved to the side as the fierce fighter got up off the deck and arose to his full height of six feet eight inches, stooping slightly to avoid bumping the ceiling.

"And by the way Garth, you can just call me James."

"Zhe-aims." Garth tried to pronounce.

"Close enough. Alright, come with me. I'm going to introduce you to the rest of my team. Try not to make any sudden movements."

"Yes... Jaims."

"Better."

Together, they walked up to the building, the human stopping Garth at the door before entering.

"Alright. Now I'm going to go in first and set you up. When I knock on the door, enter slowly."

"I understand."

"Good."

James opened the door and entered the readyroom to a bunch of un amused and suspicious faces.

"What's this all about James?" Sparks inquired.

"Yeah, what the hay is going on?" Feather added.

"We have a guest staying with us for the long haul. Before I introduce him, you guys remember some of the stories I've told you about back home? Specifically the ones about working with enemies?"

Sparks, Feather and Flash nodded, but Myst was left looking a little confused.

"Well, now you're all in a similar situation. Question, who has weapons on them at the moment?"

Every single one of them raised a hoof.

"Alright, pass them up." James ordered, holding out his hand.

All four of them took out and placed their weapons on their desks. All in all, James received a pistol from Myst, the same from Sparks plus two knives, Feather's daggers plus his and Flash's short swords.

"C'mon, I trained you guys, pay up." James said knowingly.

With a huff, Feather and Flash produced two more knives. James deposited all the weaponry in a corner of the room well out of reach from the others.

"Outstanding. Now please stay seated and try to remain calm."

Standing next to the door, James rapped it with his knuckles three times, prompting it to swing inward and allow Garth to step over the threshold and into the room. Myst scrambled out of her seat while the other three jumped up into a ready stance and reached for weapons they now no longer had. Garth crouched into a defensive fighting stance and snarled.

"STAND DOWN, EVERYBODY JUST STAND DOWN!" James bellowed at them all.

Begrudgingly, James' teammates and Garth relaxed, but not all the way.

"Guys, this is Garth. It seems he's dedicated himself to our cause and he'll be working with us for a while."

"I am Garthogh, thokrhi of James, Ahrhati Khot! It will be a great pleasure to serve with such accomplished warriors as those in my master's company!" He proclaimed while kneeling and placing a fist over his chest.

"With all due respect Commander, and remember I'm saying this with all due respect, what the fuck are you doing, sir!?" Feather said with anger.

"What I'm doing is setting us up for success. Garth here used to be part of our opposition. Now, he's gonna work with us. All of you, with maybe the exception of Myst, are going to spar with Garth here as well as with each other. This is a learning opportunity we can not pass up. Besides, I think we need to learn we're not just up against mindless freaks here."

All three of the ponies stared at the two of them for a moment before one of them finally spoke.

"He's got a point." Sparks reasoned.

Unwillingly, all of them relaxed. A little.

"Good. Now I'm gonna set Garth here up with a place to stay and we're all gonna be good friends, understood?"

"Yes sir!" They all replied in unison.

"Outstanding. We'll come back to this in a few days, until then you're dismissed."

All four of them briefly saluted before filing out the door and leaving on their own errands. As they passed the mottled dark green warrior, they gave him suspicious looks. After they all left, James turned to address his charge and figure out a living situation for him.

"Sorry for the way they acted, it's just that...."

"I understand." Garth stated.

"You do? Well, good. Alright then, now we just need to find you a place to stay."

"You need not worry, I shall fend for my self in the forest near by."

"Oh, ok then. Well I should set some boundaries. You are not to go within sight of town or any other places of residences close by. I know you hunt, so please try to keep your kills deep in the forest where nobody can find them. In addition, you are not to harm any living thing unless it is in self defense. Right now, you are restricted to this area until further notice, understood?"

"Yes. James."

"Outstanding. Go get settled then, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon. One more thing, there will be a lot of activity, especially in the sky, tomorrow so try to stay hidden and out of sight as much as possible. We don't want to scare the towns folk and start a panic."

"Agreed."

"Good, then I'll be on my way."

Both of them exited the building, Garth heading to the tree line just past the watchtower, James in the direction of his house. As he marched through the steadily melting snow, James was soon joined by Sparks and Flash.

"Do you really think this is a good idea?" Sparks asked, "I mean, we do some crazy things, but this is ridiculous."

"Don't worry my four legged friend. Think of this as an opportunity to learn, for both sides. We get to better understand our enemy and how they fight, and maybe he learns to be a little less violent. Or something like that, honestly you can't really know until you get to it. Which is exactly what we're gonna do in about two days, so rest up."

=====================================================================

*THUMP THUMP*

"Alright, cart's full, go ahead!" James hollered, pounding the side of the cart and planting his snow shovel in the ground as a pony pulled it away with it's current load snow.

Having no specialized skills suited to the Wrap-up, he was simply helping to clear all the snow in and around the town. For the large fields, he had seen that the townsponies were using large manually pushed plows, all of which were useless in the narrow alleys and tight corners of the buildings. With his hands and ability to quickly shovel snow, he was well suited to the task of clearing out the tight spaces without much difficulty. James was now about halfway done with the last alley way in town, it had taken him almost the whole day to complete his task and once he finished this last one, he'd be done for the day.

The next empty cart pulled up and the human resumed tossing the glittery white cold stuff into the wooden pony drawn wagon. Each scoop brought him closer to the end of the work day, so he began to speed up his progress, clearing foot after foot until he finally reached the alley's end. With the last scoop, he once again gave the side of the cart a couple strikes with his fist and sent it on it's way to whatever they did with the snow they collected.

James took the shovel back to the equipment shed it had been issued to him from and dropped it off before heading back to his house to grab a few items. Once he'd done that, he jogged over to his team's HQ and climbed the watchtower and kept an eye on the sky, watching until the air slowly began to become clear of the many pegasi flitting through the air, guiding birds and replacing the dreary winter clouds with the bright and cheery clouds of spring. Once he decided it was safe enough, he quickly clambered back to the ground below and entered the tree line, weaving between the dark trunks until he came to a heavily shrouded clearing ensconced within the wood. Near the back was a low hut constructed from various branches and lashed together with vines. In the middle was a fire pit, filled with ashes and to his right was a crude rack laden with the pelts of various small mammals.

Looking around he called out, "Hey Garth, they're just about finished up, I think you can come out now."

Off to his left, the bushes started rustling before parting and revealing the tall, built and menacing warrior that had been concealing himself as per James' orders.

"I grow weary of hiding, Ahrhati Khot. My blood boils for battle."

"Calm down there buddy, you'll have your fun soon enough. I'm planning on setting my team up in a training regiment with you, but we'll have to wait until dark to reduce the chance of discovery."

"It will have to do. My limbs ache for combat."

"Oh, I'm sure my team will give a run for--'

"James?" A familiar scratchy voice called out, "James, you in there?"

"Are you sure you saw him go in there?"

"Yeah RD, Ah gots ta be gettin' back ta the farm soon."

"Yeah Twi', saw it with my own eyes! James?" She called out again.

James' eyes went wide, "Shit. Ok, Garth I 'm gonna need you to hide again real quick."

The massive Lotkin warrior growled in annoyance, but did as he was ordered. Confident that outside his team, Twilight would still be the sole pony knowledgeable of Garth's existence in Ponyville, James crashed through the underbrush in haste, bursting from the tree line just twenty feet away from the girls.

Turning to them with a smile, he asked, "Hey, how's it going? Something I can help you with?"

"Fer starters, what were ya doin' out in th' woods?" Applejack asked skeptically.

"Hush AJ, that's not what we're here for." Twilight chastised.

"It's fine, it's fine. Our bathrooms here are clogged at the moment, so I was using the woods." He quickly lied.

"Oh, that is so gross, why would you tell us that?" Rarity complained.

"Hmmmm....." Applejack eyed him, not entirely convinced. James just continued to smile.

Twilight cringed slightly in disgust, "Eww, didn't need to know that. Any way, we were wondering how you were getting to the Gala next month."

James didn't expect such a trivial question as they usually didn't track him down unless it was something important. Nevertheless, he pondered the question seriously before coming up with an answer.

"Actually, I dunno. I was honestly thinking of just having Myst fly us up."

"No no no no, this simply will not do. The Gala is all about style. You must ride with us, I insist. Twilight can summon the most divine carriage." Rarity protested.

"Is it big enough for my team? Because I'm not going anywhere without them."

"I think I can manage that." Said Twilight confidently and with a smile.

"Alright then. It's a date."

"Sure is." Dash said with a sultry look.

"Ok then, If nothing else, I have some business to attend to."

Rarity drew back in disgust, "Ugh. Surely you don't mean..."

A mischievous smile grew on James' face, "Well, when you gotta go, you gotta go.... and don't call me Shirley."

PreviousChapters Next