• Published 3rd Feb 2018
  • 552 Views, 4 Comments

Hot Chocolate Comes to Town - Bronyxy



A mysterious mare arrives at Ponyville Station and is befriended by Applejack. What role will she play during her stay, why was there a massive troop movement from the garrison at Canterlot and what evil plan has Queen Chrysalis been hatching?

  • ...
2
 4
 552

1 A New Mare in Town

The sun shone out of a clear blue sky onto Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo who were all talking excitedly amongst themselves and with their elder sisters, or in Scootaloo’s case, honorary elder sister, as they walked playfully down the road to Ponyville Station. Rarity had to go to Manehattan on business; something to do with her shop there. However, nopony else in the party truly understood the detail, but the point was she was going to Manehattan.

As soon as the CMCs had got wind of this, they hurriedly set about concocting an excuse that bore at least some passing resemblance to a legitimate request to allow them to travel along and meet up with their friend and fellow Crusader, Babs Seed. They had finally persuaded Rarity by explaining that because Babs was the Head of the Manehattan Branch of the CMCs, it was time for their Annual General Meeting, and that such an event happened by pure coincidence to be during the time that Rarity would be in Manehattan.

She had been impressed by the sincerity with which the three fillies had put their case and smiled inwardly at how grown up they were beginning to sound. In truth, she was flattered, and needed very little persuading to be the centre of the three fillies’ attention, especially as it gave Sweetie Belle an opportunity to proudly display her big sister’s generosity. There was good natured banter overflowing as each of the mares chipped in with their own recollections of Manehattan and the fillies grew wide eyed in wonder, while in return they regaled their elder sisters about all the adventures they had enjoyed with Babs. The anecdotes were tripping out of the mouths of all six ponies in a chaotic tumble, but somehow everypony managed to get their turn.

By the time they had arrived at the station, the fillies were simply bursting with anticipation and properly wound up for the forthcoming train journey. AJ picked up on how excited they had all become and felt sorry for her friend, offering to accompany the party, but Rarity for her part just smiled and politely refused on the grounds that her friend would probably be more needed on the farm, and besides, she confided that it was fun to be surrounded by such enthusiastic fillies. AJ tipped her hat as a mark of respect for what she felt the fashionista could be letting herself in for, but to be honest, she was happier on the farm anyway. However, her conscience was clear; she had given a genuine offer.

The train could be seen approaching the station and its eager passengers from some distance off, the sight of it winding the fillies up beyond the fever pitch they had already reached. Gouts of steam shuffled off from either side of the locomotive and the clanging of the bell could be heard louder as the slowing train approached the platform, engulfing all those waiting in swirling eddies of sweet smelling steam.

The solid sounding metal latches opened and the passengers spilled out, porters rushing forward to assist those who looked like they needed help or could most afford a generous tip. For a few minutes, the platform resembled organised chaos and in this time Rarity shepherded the fillies aboard while Rainbow Dash had flown over the train and was pulling faces through the window on the far side making everypony laugh. This left AJ stood alone as the platform thinned out around her and she waved a forehoof to her little sister and her friends as they prepared to set off on their adventure.

“All aboard!” shouted the conductor, and once the last doors had been slammed shut, the locomotive made the first deep loud chuffs that signalled its departure and the bell clanged its appreciation. AJ felt a tear start to form in the corner of her eye as Apple Bloom’s waves disappeared from view, but her face soon grew a wide smile when she saw Rainbow flying alongside the carriage the friends were in, continuing to pull more silly faces. The orange farm pony allowed herself a quiet laugh and shook her head at the madcap antics of Ponyville’s favourite Wonderbolt as she turned to leave.

AJ walked slowly up the platform towards the exit and as she looked up, she noticed the silhouette of somepony else on the platform in the fading steam. Little by little she could make out more of the new figure; she carried two bags, one on wheels and a larger valise by her side. As the steam dissipated, she could see that she didn’t recognise this unicorn; her colouring was so unusual, that she would have definitely remembered. Her coat was a combination of two light browns in large patches and her short two-tone tail matched the colour of her long mane, most of which hung freely except for a solitary long braid, giving her an air of casual self-confidence similar to that which AJ radiated.

“Howdy stranger” AJ offered “New to these parts ain’t yuh?”
“Yes. Now the steam has gone, this is the first clear view I’ve had of the town” she replied.
“This ain’t the best part, what with it bein’ a station an’ all” she said with a grin “Who’ll yuh be stayin’ with while yer with us? I know most everypony round here, and if I don’t, then my friend Pinkie Pie certainly will.”
“I don’t rightly know, as yet” replied the stranger “I kind of came here on impulse.”
“Well, first things first; lunch. You’ll be comin’ with me for lunch at Sweet Apple Acres; that’s where I live. The name’s Applejack; friends call me AJ.”
“Thank you, that’s very kind. My name’s Hot Chocolate, and I’d be delighted to share some lunch with you, if it’s not too much bother.”
“Well, shoot; ‘tain’t no bother at all. It’d sure be nice to get to know you better.”
“In that case, thank you.”

Chocolate picked up the bags in the pale blue aura of her magic and AJ caught sight of the monogram on the valise.
“HC” she remarked with a slight snicker “Now I’ve just waved goodbye to a fashion designer friend of mine who would swear blind that these here letters should stand for Haut Couture or somethin’ fancy like that.”
“Trust me, I think sometimes it stands for Heavy Case; if it wasn’t for my magic I probably wouldn’t even be able to lift it!”
“Not exactly travelling light, then?”
“Hey, a mare wants to carry a little something to look at her best whatever she does …” she said with a smile starting to form at the corner of her mouth and beginning to spread.
“You sure you haven’t met my friend Rarity?” replied AJ, mirroring her smile “Some things you say sound a whole lot like her talkin’.”
“Well, in that case I look forward to meeting her too; maybe we’re related?”

The two exchanged small talk and banter as they walked, and were soon relaxed in each other’s company just like old friends, as they walked side by side out of town towards the vast rolling orchards that the Apple family had tended lovingly for generations.

The first signs that they were approaching managed land was the appearance of white painted ranch style fencing separating the track from the orchard beyond; tree after tree bearing the most appetising looking apples for as far as the eye could see; doubly so for those who hadn’t eaten and were looking forward to lunch. Shortly, another white fence joined on the other side of the track, funnelling them towards a welcoming arch festooned with bright red blooms and a sign suspended underneath bearing the cut out silhouette of an apple. Ahead lay a cerise painted wooden construction farmhouse with bright white paintwork highlighting the external timbers.It all looked perfectly idyllic.

“I’m guessing that the Apple on the sign is telling us that this is your home?” enquired Chocolate.
“Sure as hay dust” replied AJ.
“It’s beautiful; I can’t imagine how hard you have to work to run the farm and keep it looking so good too.”
“Well, shucks! You’re welcome here Miss Chocolate” said AJ blushing a little at the compliment “C’mon and I’ll introduce y'all to the family.”

The two ponies followed the path that led up to the kitchen to find a kindly looking old green mare hard at work putting the finishing touches to lunch. As they entered, she looked up from the task she had done thousands of times during her long life and spied the stranger alongside her granddaughter.
“Well, lookee here” she announced in a voice that was at once strong and welcoming despite her obvious age “And who’ve you brought along to lunch with you today?”
“Hey Granny, this here’s Hot Chocolate. She’s new to these parts and just findin’ her hooves here in Ponyville. Would y’all mind if she stopped here a bit?”
“That’s right fine young ‘un. Hot Chocolate you say? Let’s get a proper look at you Missy” she said kindly, stretching her back straight to get a better look at the stranger.

“Oh my, ain’t seen colouring like that for many a year. If I’m not mistaken you’d be a Palomino Tobiano Pinto” said the green pony with a forensic look in her eye, revealing that her mind was as sharp as ever it had been.
“The what now?” asked her startled granddaughter.
Chocolate smiled, nodding slightly to let the old mare know she was right and allowing her to continue uninterrupted.
“Some folks might call it skewbald, but it all kinda comes down to the same thing” the wise old mare continued.
“Nope, still lost me” said AJ looking more confused than ever.
“It’s like her Mom and Dad was two different colours and they decided she would look right pretty if they both gave her a bit of each of them” she summarised.
“With yuh now!” replied AJ with a smile of understanding breaking out across her face.

“Sorry Missy, I got so carried away I clean forgot to introduce myself; the name’s Granny Smith and my grandchildren all keep me in line.”
“Oh, I think that’s more the other way round Granny” said AJ to her grandmother and then to Chocolate “Granny Smith here built the farm in her younger days and makes sure we don’t let things slip.”
“Well its very nice to meet you” said Chocolate “You certainly nailed my colouring perfectly.”
“Told you, young ‘un” preened the matriarch shooting a triumphant grin at AJ “There’s more to the old mare than just a pretty face!”
“I don’t doubt it Granny” said the orange pony giving her a friendly nuzzle.

“Anyhoo, it’s coming on time for lunch young ‘un” cackled the green mare “Big Mac’s out in the west orchard, so he’ll be wantin’ somepony to take it out to him. I reckon we’ve got time to feed you two first, and I just so happen to have somethin’ ready.”
“Er, Granny” observed AJ “One of them’s yours.”
“I’ve got time to rustle me up another. You two just go ahead and dig in; you don’t want to be late for poor ol’ Big Mac, now do you?”
“Well, when you put it like that …” said AJ.
“Course I do. Now just you all get stuck in; young Chocolate here looks like she hasn’t been fed in days.”

With that, the two young mares gave their thanks and started demolishing their meals hungrily as instructed, Chocolate acknowledging silently that Granny Smith had been more observant than she had given credit; it had indeed been a long time since she had eaten this well, and was very grateful for her unfaltering hospitality. As she tucked in appreciatively, she thought how different this country generosity was when compared with the cold impersonal nature of the big cities.

Granny Smith looked on and missed little as she forensically eyed up the outsider, rounding off her assessment with an affirmative and unseen nod of her head and then set about preparing her second lunch of the day.

Within a fraction of the time that the meals had taken to prepare, both plates were spotless and there were two happy smiles looking back to the Apple family’s matriarch who smiled back in return.
“Oh Granny Smith, that so hit the spot” complimented Chocolate “Would you like a hand tidying up?”
“No point until I’ve done mine young ‘un” she replied, “But thank you kindly anyways.”
Then she addressed herself to AJ; “Now get along the pair of you and feed that brother of yours.”
“OK Granny” said AJ, rubbing muzzles tenderly with her Grandma and putting on her saddlebags.
“Here, let me” said Chocolate, taking the packed lunch in her magic “No need for you to have to wear your saddle bags just for this.”
Then she stopped herself and put the package back down again, adding with a hint of embarrassment “Unless of course, you need them for something else, that is …”

“That’s mighty kind of y’all” said AJ with a giggle covering her guest’s discomfort “I’m so used to putting them bags on, I just kind of did it as matter of habit is all. I guess we’re not used to having a unicorn round here helpin’ out are we Granny?”
“Nope - you’re a creature of habit and no mistake. Best take up the offer while it’s there.”

With smiles all round, the two young mares left their hostess to finish preparing her lunch in peace and set off to the west orchard; AJ feeling a little naked without her saddle bags, but at least giving her guest an opportunity to feel that she was contributing something in return for the friendship she had been offered since her arrival.