• Published 4th Feb 2018
  • 2,101 Views, 214 Comments

My Little Destroyermen: Walker on Water - The Atlantean



The magic of a sudden squall is all that's needed to send Twilight Sparkle into an alternate world where everything wants to eat her. Along with the similarly displaced crew of USS Walker, she tries to survive the danger as it whittles their numbers.

  • ...
8
 214
 2,101

Prologue

Twilight Sparkle’s jaw hit the ground. Right in front of her swirled a whirlpool of dark purplish-black fluid that threatened to pull her in with its violet twirls of magic reaching from the surface and swallow her whole. Deep in the dried lava tubes of Caldera Island, nearly a thousand nautical miles off the Equestrian coast, she and Princess Celestia personally responded to explorers charting the region when they reported Caldera Island’s extensive cave system and the possibilities within. A single ship from the privately funded exploration squadron had sailed into Manehattan Harbor, picked them up, and returned to its sister ships. Meanwhile, the other ships’ crews had begun construction of a military outpost for the soon-to-arrive Equestrian Royal Guard to base operations and prepared for the inevitable swarm of fortune-seekers.

Twilight turned to the senior princess. She was blinking rapidly, wide-eyed, as if she couldn’t believe what she saw. Finally, though, she recovered from her shock enough to speak. “Yes, thank you for alerting us, Mr. Blaze. The Guard will take it from here.”

Blaze, their guide through the twisting caverns, threw a badly executed salute and trotted to the surface as Commander Venom, the Captain of the Guard after Shining Armor left to the Crystal Empire, and his best guardsponies secured the site. This area was now the property and business of the Equestrian government.

“But… how can this be, Princess Celestia?” Twilight asked. “It’s a river of pure, liquefied Equestrian magic flowing like an underground river!”

“My dear Twilight, Caldera Island has always been the site of a magic volcano. Although practically unknown to the public until now, it is here that Luna gained the magic to become Nightmare Moon, and it is here that Star Swirl the Bearded created his most powerful spells. In fact, his extensive laboratory, isolated from meddlers and outside mishaps, is located several hundred feet above us. It is there that he built the mirror portal that now resides in your castle. But the reserves drained when Luna became Nightmare Moon; she used it all in her transformation, which is why she was so powerful, powerful enough to resist the Elements of Harmony for several minutes.”

“Do you think the magic returned here when Luna came back three years ago?”

“It must have, Twilight. Although for the island to still be intact after all these years of erosion and without any support from the magic beneath is a miracle in itself. I will conduct that investigation here, using Star Swirl’s laboratory as a base. Twilight, I need you to return to Equestria with the first shipment of ten barrels and inform Luna herself that the caldera is filled.”

“But why are we taking the magic like an Applelachian coal mine?”

Celestia lowered her voice. “Because this is the most dangerous threat to Equestria in millennia, even when you include Discord’s reign and Lord Tirek’s escape from Tartarus combined. We must keep a close eye on it.”

Twilight nodded. “Yes, Princess Celestia. I’ll make sure all ten barrels make it to Princess Luna unopened.”