• Published 27th May 2018
  • 3,840 Views, 12 Comments

Horror at Dusk - MrNelg



As dusk settles across Sweet Apple Acres, Apple Bloom discovers that some horrors don't wait until nightfall to emerge.

  • ...
0
 12
 3,840

Horror at Dusk

Shadows grew longer against the ground as the sun dipped ever lower beyond the horizon, casting hues of fiery oranges and reds amongst the scattered clouds. On the opposite side of the sky, pinpricks of white light against the silken black backdrop of the night began twinkling into existence.

From the farm house’s top floor at Sweet Apple Acres, Apple Bloom glanced forlornly out across the farm. She grumbled and flopped back on the bed as a single word Pinballed around inside her head.

“Grounded,” she muttered.

Stuck in her bedroom while the whole family was out having a wonderful time with Rarity and her family, Applebloom found herself wishing that Applejack hadn't taken Winona with her.

She sighed regretfully. She'd been tasked with cleaning up the barn that day. It had been dark within the structure and none of the oil lamps were around. Her mind had been preoccupied on her evening with Sweetie, thus she hadn't been thinking to clearly. She tried starting a small fire in the centre of the barn with some straw in order to have some light. It would've gotten out of control if Big Mac hadn't been, at that moment, returning some of the lamps. No matter how many times she apologized for the incident, it was all in vain. 'What were you thinking? Dry straw will light up like a Harth Warming Tree. You could've set the whole barn alight. Off to your room missy, 'cause you're grounded for a week.’

Apple Bloom rolled onto her back and let her tail flop sulkily over the side of the bed. Sighing, she once more looked out the window. The sun was gone now, leaving behind a dying yellow and orange glow in the sky above. The dark blues and purples of the night were slowly inching into place. Off in the distance, lights were winking to life one by one. Apple Bloom murmured with disappointment. Nothing of interest was visible. She looked towards the horizon. The dusk light was almost gone. The few clouds that remained look almost pitch black, practically invisible against the darkened sky. Once the sun was gone entirely, anything of interest would be almost impossible to discern.

Apple Bloom frowned, squinting hard against the fading orange backdrop of the horizon. In the distance, a thick fog bank had formed, and it was slowly creeping its way over the farm. That'd sprung up rather quickly, Apple Bloom thought. In preparation for the oncoming cold, she fished out a scarf from a drawer and wrapped it around her neck. She cast one last look at the fog before shutting and locking the window.

She went from room to room, methodically securing all windows before heading downstairs to repeat the same process. The air was decidedly colder when she finished. For good measure, Apple Bloom decided to throw a couple logs on top of the dying embers of the fire.

Feeling a little hungry and maybe hoping a light snack would help warm her up a bit, she headed to the kitchen. In a short while she had a small plate of sandwiches prepared, which she carried into the living room before she jumped onto the couch and nestled into it.

The light from the flickering fire filled the room, casting dancing shadows on the wall behind her as she ate, the crackling of the fire her only companion. Apple Bloom shivered as she wrapped the scarf tighter around herself. Quickly hopping off the couch to add another log to the fire, she paused when she noticed condensation forming on the windows. She mouthed a silent 'What the...?' before trotting over to investigate. Her hoof touched the window and came away wet.

Quickly shaking the water off, she wiped a clear view of the outside world across the window and pressed her face up against the glass. The lights from the front porch illuminated the world outside, allowing Apple Bloom to see the fog that now wafted to the fence that surrounded the house. That indeed had sprung up rather quickly. She hurried back into the kitchen where the family kept the flashlights. Snagging one, she flicked it on and off a few times to see if it was still functional. She'd better check on the animals and make sure they were all right.

The air chilled Apple Bloom to the bone as she stepped outside. The grass was wet and cold as she charged across the farm. Thin tendrils of encroaching fog lazily flowing around her hooves and lapped at her legs. Despite her growing unease, Apple Bloom reminded herself that the sooner she finished the sooner she could get back inside. The animals all seemed fine, huddling together inside their various shelters for warmth.

Although she could hear nothing but the sounds of her hoof steps, there was this aching feeling that she was being followed. Yet, upon looking over her shoulder, found nothing. That didn’t stop her from sprinting back towards the house once she was finished. Reaching the porch, she wiped her hooves on the welcome mat before turning to gaze out over the farm one last time.

Beyond the gate, the fog covered the ground as far as she could see, completely cloaking the edge of the apple orchard within a white veil. Beyond that, the hills were covered with a sheet of white that spilled down their slopes like river rapids in slow motion. She couldn't tell if the fog had reached the town, and considering how freezing it was out here, she wasn't too keen on opening a window to confirm that.

It was then she was struck with a thought. What if the town was aware of this fog? Surely the Pegasi would know about it. If that were the case, they would alert Applejack. Her whole family would come right home the instant they heard about this and make sure she was all right. Who knows, maybe Rarity would tag along and bring Sweetie Bell as well. Smiling, she turned about and trotted back inside.

She locked the front door and hurried back to the fireplace and her sandwiches, making sure to keep an ear turned towards the front door for when the family returned. She finished off her light snack and turned to look up at the clock on the wall.

An incessant pounding on the front door caught her off guard, and she turned towards it with a start. It briefly paused before starting up again. The family must be back.

“I'm coming, I'm coming!” she hollered, jumping down from the couch and trotting towards the front door. She paused halfway.

Her family had a key.

If they found the front door locked, they’d just unlock it. Why would they be banging at the door? Now alert, she cautiously reached the front door and lifted up the curtain on the window, peering out. Her eyes widened in surprise.

A little filly was standing outside, just at the bottom of the porch. Her face was obscured by a long, red mane. Though, Apple Bloom could see she had a pretty looking pink and white striped dress on. Despite looking relatively harmless, something about the filly sent a slight chill down Apple Bloom’s neck. She had never seen this filly at school before.

“Umm, yes?” she called out, not sure exactly what to do.

“I'm sorry to bother you,” the filly said. “My doll is damaged, and I was wondering if you could lend me a sewing kit to fix it?” Apple Bloom just stared back. Why was a young filly this far out of town at this hour? She glanced left and then right, unable to see anything else in the fog before turning back to the filly.

“What are you doing out here all by yourself?” She looked at the fog surrounding them.

“I was out playing all day, but I lost track of time,” she said. “By the time I noticed it was getting dark, I was so worried that I ran home as fast as I could, but my doll got caught on a branch and was ripped. My parents would be awfully mad at me if I returned home with my doll ruined. So, if I could borrow a sewing kit...”

“Wouldn't they be madder at you for returning late?” She interrupted. The filly shook her head.

“They don't care how long I stay out. Just as long as I don't ruin my things.” Apple Bloom’s brow furrowed. “I won't be long,” the filly said. “I can even fix my doll right here in the light if you want.”

“Fine,” Apple Bloom grunted in annoyance. She fished out Granny Smith's old sewing kit and hurried back to the front door, opened it and looked down at the filly. She was standing just before the porch, waiting. She hoofed over the basket, and the filly smiled at her.

“Thank you,” she said softly, before she started rummaging through the basket. Apple Bloom watched her from within the door frame, eyes cementing a stern gaze on her. Suddenly, the filly’s head turned. “Sorry to bother you again, but I noticed that you have a large stockpile of straw beside your barn. I don't suppose I could trouble you for just a small amount?” Apple Bloom eyed her suspiciously. How much was a small amount? Then again, how much could she carry?

“So long as it's not too much, you can use some.”

“Thank you,” she said and trotted over to the barn. Apple Bloom watched her, walking to the edge of the porch as the filly moved to the barn, quickly rummaging around through the tarp covered straw pile, sitting in the wagon. Thankfully, she wasn't too difficult to see in the fog. Though, from what she could see, the filly was pulling out way more than what should've been necessary to fix a doll. Yet, she carried it back to her original spot, sat down with her back to the porch and she started working away.

“That's a lot of straw don’t you think?” Apple Bloom said as the filly worked away.

“I have a big doll.”

Apple Bloom narrowed her eyes. “Can I see it?”

“You can when once I'm done.” She bit off the string. “I like you. You're really kind, and you share. I like ponies who share. When I am finished, would you like to play with me?”

Apple Bloom was starting to feel uneasy. “Shouldn't you be going home? To your parents?”

“I already told you, they don't care how long I stay out. Just as long as I don't ruin my things.” She hunched over, stuffing in straw. “Would you like to play with me?”

“...No,” she said slowly. “I'm not supposed to have strangers in the house while my family is away.”

“You're not very nice.” Her voice became noticeably harsher. “I only want to play.”

“I'm just following the rules,” Apple Bloom said sternly. “Besides, they'll be back soon. Have you finished yet?”

“I bet you have lots of toys in your room,” the filly continued as if Apple Bloom hadn't even spoken. “Really fun toys too, and games. Lots of really fun games.” Apple Bloom took a step backward. The filly's work seemed more feverish, as her hooves dived and jerked with the sewing needle. “And pretty dresses, and mane clips, and jewelry.” Then she stopped as if someone had thrown a switch. No sound passed between them. A trickle of sweat slowly slid down the side of Apple Bloom's face.

“You know what? You can keep the sewing kit,” Apple Bloom squeaked unknowingly. “I've got dinner in the oven, and I can't remember the last time I checked on it. I hope you don't get into too much trouble over your doll, so... bye.”

“Why won't she play with me?”

Apple Bloom paused.

The filly was still sitting with her back to Apple Bloom; only now her head was looking up, staring off into the distance. “I bet I was right. She has all those things and more. She's just greedy. That's it! Selfish!

Apple Bloom had had enough. She thrust her hoof towards the fence gate.

“Okay, I’m gonna need you to get off our land, right now!” she shouted.

However, the filly didn’t budge.

“Excuse me... Could you give me your mane, then?”

Apple Bloom froze. “My...? What!” The filly rose and turned, her face still hidden behind her over-sized bangs.

“Actually, can I have a hoof? And a limb! No, two! Could I also trouble you for an ear? Please?” Her voice picked up in pace and tone as she spoke. “Your tail looks so pretty, can I have that too? And your nose! And your fur! It's so beautiful! Can I have the whole coat?”

Apple Bloom turned and bolted back inside, slamming the door behind her. She braced herself against it, and she attempted to calm her shattered nerves.

“Hey, are you listening to me?” the voice sounded from the other side of the front door.

“Go away you creep!” she screamed, trying to force some bravado into her voice. “My family will be home any minute now! I should warn you, my big brother don't exactly take too kindly to trespassers on our land! Especially practical jokers!” There was no reply. Cautiously she lifted up a corner of the curtain.

The filly was still sitting where she'd been the first time Apple Bloom had seen her. Only this time she was looking up. “Those curtains in that window are very pretty,” she said. “I bet that's your room.” She braced herself and like a cat, she leapt up into the air.

Before Apple Bloom could even process what had just transpired, the sound of shattering glass pierced the air. “What the hay!?” She cried out before her eyes bulged in horror. “Oh no, she's in my room!” She hurried over to the kitchen and fished out Granny's large carving knife. Securing it between her teeth, she hurried over to the bottom of the stairs. Looking up to the top, she was relieved to see nothing that shouldn't be there. She bit down harder on the handle and slowly, she stealthily climbed her way upwards.

The lights in her room were still on as she reached the top. Aiming the knife forwards, she slowly edged her head around the corner of the stairs, resting her gaze on the door to her room. The light from her room was the only source of illumination on the top floor. It spilled out into the hallway, lighting up everything around the door-frame.

The first thing she saw were a few toys and dresses, scattered at the threshold. Then she spied the claw marks. Deep gouges that raked the walls, ceiling, and floorboards around the entrance. It all formed a rough trail towards the darkened hallway beyond. Just before the darkness, the filly stood. Apple Bloom couldn't help but clench her teeth harder around the handle. The fur on her brow now matted with sweat.

“I was right,” the filly said, her voice so soft she almost missed it. “You do have such wonderful things. You are a very, very mean girl not to share them with me.”

“Get out.” Her voice came out as a whisper.

“I only wanted to play with you.” The filly stepped forward. Now she was directly on the opposite side of the beam of light, coming from her room.

Apple Bloom's jaw locked in fright.

The filly's dress was tattered and torn, it’s front caked in what were suspicious, dark brown splotches. But it was her face that drew her focus.

It was withered and wrinkled like a burlap sack. Her mane had been pulled back to reveal button eyes and a mouth crisscrossed with numerous stitch marks. The mouth opened, straining against the stitch marks like a cage. It held no teeth but was instead just jagged lines that stretched around the muzzle from ear to ear. The mane itself-was interwoven with long strands of dried grass and straw, along with gnarled vines falling in tangles all around its head, as well as protruding from various seams in her dress. Then she saw what was behind the filly.

In the darkness beyond, hovering above her were a set of glowing red eyes. She couldn't see anything else, just those eyes. The clattering of the knife escaped her ears.

“As you can see. My doll is damaged. Very badly.” The voice, hollow and deep came from the eyes. “I told you I'd let you see it when I was done. Unlike you, I'm nice.”

Apple Bloom’s mouth hung open in abject disbelief.

“I don't have very many nice things. You have lots of nice things, things you won't share. My doll is the only nice thing I have. Now, look at it. It's ruined!” The filly took another step forwards. It now stood in the light, and Apple Bloom could see the stitch marks, made from the string of Granny's sewing kit, from the jaw to the neck and down the chest that vanished into the dress. From between the stitch marks, she could see the borrowed straw poking out. “My parents always told me that I play too rough with my toys. I tried to fix it, but it only made things worse.” There was a deep sigh. “My parents do hate it when I ruin my things.”

Apple Bloom was frozen with fear. Her breath was lodged in her throat. Her limbs locked. Her eyes glued to the horror before her.

“I just wanted a few things to replace the damaged parts. Just a few. Why did you have to be so selfish?” The voice was getting angrier now. “You have lots of nice things! So many! Why wouldn't you just give me a few!” Before Apple Bloom could even respond, the glowing eyes appeared to dim. “So, I decided not to borrow a few things. I'll just take all of you.”

A loud, high-pitch scream filled the air, and Apple Bloom recognized it as her own. She still couldn't will herself to move.

The filly creature began to move forwards. As it did so, something started to push from behind its face. Pushing out at the muzzle, stretching against the wrinkled skin until with a sickening tear, it peeled away. The face was now a bone-white cone, tapering to a blood-red tentacle. The front hooves bulged and exploded to reveal skeletal like two-toed claws. Finally, the midsection strained and tore. Vines, leaves, sticks, and straw, all cascaded forth, interlacing together to form an interwoven mess of nightmarish foliage. It continued its advance, emulating that of an octopus as it undulated towards her.

The sight gave Apple Bloom the shove needed to force her limbs to move, but she was still frozen with fear so that only her back legs gave way. She had been at the top of the stairs, so her retreat morphed into a tumble as she fell and landed upside down at the bottom.

At the top, the monster hadn't ceased its chase. It moved down the stairs, climbing to the railings and clinging to the ceiling. Its bony claws reached for her.

She didn't scream, but she rolled backward onto her front hooves, before propelling herself up and over to land on all fours. The claws slashed the floor where she'd been just mere moments ago.

“I want it, all of it!” The voice shouted from somewhere at the top of the stairs. “Stop being such a selfish pig and give it to me!”

Apple Bloom back-pedalled until she hit the sofa.

The creature slashed at her, and she leaped. This time she wasn't fast enough, and a claw nicked her hind leg, drawing an inch long gash across the exposed limb. She cried out more in shock than pain, as she tumbled over the sofa, bounced off it and landed on the ground. The couch lifted off the ground, before being torn in half. Both halves were sent flying as the creature surged forwards.

“Now look at what you've done!” the disjointed, unholy voice raged. “You've ruined everything!”

Apple Bloom gave the creature a quizzical look, before glancing down at her bleeding leg.

“This never would've happened if you had been a nice girl and shared!” It began slugging towards her, and Apple Bloom backed away when it stopped suddenly.

Apple Bloom paused.

The creature appeared to be straining, but something was holding it back. No, keeping it at bay.

Turning, Apple Bloom saw the fireplace with the fire still crackling away. She turned back to the creature, its body heaving.

Beyond, she could make out the frustrated growls of the voice. Then her gaze zeroed in on the dry foliage that stuffed it’s body. Slowly, the warnings Apple Jack had given about the dangers of dry straw returned. One corner of Apple Bloom's mouth turned up. “You don't like fire, do you.”

The voice didn't respond.

“No, your little doll thing doesn't like the fire.” Apple Bloom pointed at its body. “All those dry sticks and leaves, and especially that straw. One little spark and fwoosh!” Looking up at the creature, she became confident in knowing what she had to do.

The creature backed away, whilst the voice kept silent.

Keeping her eye on the thing, she reached over to the wood pile and selected a thin log. Then lifting it up, she stood on her hind legs, keeping the bulk of weight off her damaged leg, as she unwrapped her scarf and wrapped it around the end. Then she stuck it into the fireplace.

The scarf caught instantly, and she lifted out the log, holding it up like a torch. “Now here's what we're going to do,” Apple Bloom said calmly. “I'm not going to set fire to your doll, and you’ll leave nice and quiet like.”

To her surprise, crying filled the air.

“I just wanted to fix my doll,” the voice sobbed. “Why did you have to be so mean?!”

Apple Bloom hesitated for only for a second, before she moved the burning torch closer.

“I mean it,” she warned. “You have until the count of ten before I start a bonfire right here using you as the kindling.”

“I hate you!” the voice screamed at her. “I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!” Then as if yanked by a fishing line, the creature abruptly flew backward and up the stairs out of view.

Apple Bloom's head arched up towards the ceiling as she listened to the pandemonium raging upstairs, as furniture and walls were destroyed.

“I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!” the voice screamed over and over before the cacophony abruptly ended with an explosion of splintering wood.

There was a muffled thud from outside and hobbling over to the front door; Apple Bloom threw aside the curtain to watch a fuzzy blur, disappearing into the fog. She opened the door and waited until it was gone. Suddenly, for reasons she couldn't quite explain, she felt a pang of sympathy for it, though she didn't know why.

“I'm sorry,” she said.

“You ruined my doll!” The voice screamed from somewhere deep within the fog, tearing through the night air. “You're not sorry! You're not sorry at all! But you will be!” Silence reigned once more.

For a moment, Apple Bloom just stood there.

All around her the fog was retreating. The glow from the town was visible from the tops of the trees once again, while in the sky above, the moon now illuminated the night with it’s pale, white glow.

She watched as the fog finally vanished from view before heading back inside. Retrieving her makeshift torch, she carefully roamed the house, once again punctiliously checking the locks on all the doors and windows. She paused at her now ruined bedroom.

Everything had been destroyed. The bed, the wardrobe... her toys. One corner of her mouth rose around the torch it held, exposing her teeth as a muffled snarl escaped. Her eyes roamed over the shredded remains of her best dresses. That monster deserved no sympathy from her. All her pretty dresses, all her favourite toys; Gone. The sound of her front hooves slamming the floor echoed throughout the night. How dare it accuse her of being selfish. Truly, it was the selfish one.

Apple Bloom surreptitiously scratched at the gash on her leg. Trotting inside, she stopped at the massive hole that had once been a wall and gazed out towards the town of Ponyville. How long did her family plan to be staying at Sweetie Bell's house? Didn't they realise she had almost been killed? How selfish of them.

She paused in thought. Sweetie Bell. She had staggering amounts of pretty dresses; And her toys. Sweet Celestia did she have lots of wonderful toys. She smiled. They were best friends after all. Apple Bloom was confident Sweetie would share some, if not all of her toys with her best friend in the whole world. Sweetie Bell wasn't selfish, and with all of her own toys and dresses destroyed, she'd understand.


END

Author's Note:

This started out as an attempt to break a horrible bout of writers block I've been suffering at the moment. Hell, I'm not to sure if it's writers block or something else, because I just sit down at my laptop and I can't write. Anyway, I wrote this at the start of the year and for the longest time, I couldn't think up an ending. Well, I hope you all enjoyed this, and as always, constructive criticism is wanted. Thank you.

Comments ( 12 )

She sighed regretfully. She'd been tasked with cleaning up the barn that day. It had been dark within the structure and none of the oil lamps were around. Her mind had been preoccupied on her evening with Sweetie, thus she hadn't been thinking to clearly. She tried starting a small fire in the centre of the barn with some straw in order to have some light. It would've gotten out of control if Big Mac hadn't been, at that moment, returning some of the lamps. No matter how many times she apologized for the incident, it was all in vain. 'What were you thinking? Dry straw will light up like a Harth Warming Tree. You could've set the whole barn alight. Off to your room missy, 'cause you're grounded for a week.’

You see, this is how children get killed in horror movies in the first place because they can't go anywhere else.

She paused in thought. Sweetie Bell. She had staggering amounts of pretty dresses. And her toys. Sweet Celestia did she have lots of wonderful toys. She smiled. They were best friends after all. Apple Bloom was confident Sweetie would share some, if not all of her toys with her best friend in the whole world. Sweetie Bell wasn't selfish, and with all of her own toys and dresses destroyed, she'd understand.

And the cycle continues.

Big Max and Applejack are gonna feel a might stupid for leaving Apple Bloom alone like that:ajbemused:. Idiots...:facehoof:.

I would like to see this made into a auto play

Awesome to see you're still around

Would you mind if I read this on my channel? You'd be credited as the author

The disturbing origins of Creepybloom?! :twilightoops:
And here I was going to stop indulging in creepypastas! Anyways, nice work.

I wonder what happens to the 'children' who already finished their cycle?

10121762
That's what makes the mystery so intriguing and horrifying. That's also the key to writing good horror. Explaining just enough of the monster that the audience can get a general idea of it, without lifting up the entire curtain and exposing it for all it's glory.

Not bad, I like!

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

The doll reveal was really cool. :D

Wow. That curse acts fast.

Login or register to comment