• Published 18th Feb 2018
  • 9,395 Views, 397 Comments

Retrograde - RQK



The debacle with the memory stone, now that it is destroyed, is over. And Sunset Shimmer remembers none of it—or most anything before it.

  • ...
26
 397
 9,395

1 - Lost Positives

Princess Twilight Sparkle took another bite of her sandwich, wiped the corners of her mouth with a napkin, and lowered her eyes to the stacks of paper before her. She read in silence. Numbers filled rows and columns, and a few graphs in the corner provided insights on trends and expectancies.

She ruffled her wings as she came to a particular set of figures which, when considered, pointed toward a discrepancy in the numbers of bits that actually existed.

And those sorts of things made her blood boil. She groaned.

A unicorn mare, standing near a portion of the bookshelves that ringed around the room, glanced over while adjusting her glasses. “Huh?”

Twilight glanced over and smiled. “Oh, nothing you need to worry about, Moondancer.”

“If you say so, Twilight,” Moondancer said as she picked a book from the bookshelf. She trotted over to the table and took her seat next to Twilight.

Twilight’s eyes trailed to the empty teacup in front of her friend and she then smiled. She lit her horn and levitated the teapot over and refilled the cup.

Moondancer glanced up and chuckled. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Twilight said before taking another bite of her sandwich.

She returned to reading the rest of the notes and figures, stopping to digest the occasional diagram. Finally, she resorted the stack of papers and levitated them up. “I guess that sudden reappropriation of vital funds will delay things after all.”

A third mare, who sat across from the both of them, took those papers within her own magic. “It will take some time to fix it. Accounting for it will require redoing the ledgers.”

Twilight sighed and nodded all the same.

Moondancer looked up, pausing to stare at the scar across this mare’s right eye. She ran her eyes over the gradient of cerise and violet that was this mare’s mane and tail, and finally over the horn protruding out of her head. Moondancer then sighed and stuck her head back into the book in front of her.

The mare leaned forward. “I see that you noticed the fund discrepancy.”

“I did,” Twilight said. “And I guess you know how to fix it?”

“I already have. You’ll see it when the updated ledgers come about. But that will take a couple of days. That is the earliest time the board will approve your proposal.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “You think they’ll approve?”

The mare smirked. “Oh, they will. I will make certain of it.”

Twilight smiled in response. “Excellent. Is that everything that you had for me?”

The mare stood up and, after quickly adjusting her vest, she shook her head. “That’s everything. I’ll try to get those revised J-17 forms to you as promptly as possible. If you need anything else, I’ll be back at City Hall.”

“Okay. Thanks.”

The mare turned and trotted out the pair of double doors, pulling them closed as she went.

Moondancer chuckled. “What’s all that about anyway?”

Twilight sighed, took a sip from her own teacup, and turned to face her friend once again. “Oh, I’ve been thinking about building a friendship school nearby. But it has to clear Ponyville’s zoning board first.”

“Huh. You can’t just build it on royal authority? Or with a magic chest?”

“No, I can’t. I may be the Princess of Friendship, but I still have to follow some rules. And I’d hate to break the rules.”

Moondancer smirked. “I’m just glad you at least have some time to do this collaboration with me. I’m sure being a princess means you’re pretty busy.”

Twilight giggled. “Oh, I’m pretty busy, alright. But I’m never too busy for friends.”

Moondancer smiled.

Twilight levitated another stack of papers over and, while stuffing another bit of sandwich into her mouth, she began pouring over their contents. She sorted out a few pages from the top and eventually set the others on the table. “Anyway, I was thinking a little more about the introduction that you blocked out. I like it so far.”

“I’m glad that you think so,” Moondancer replied. “I think it’s some of my best description. But…”

Twilight shifted in her seat. “But, there was one thing that stuck out to me that we might want to look at again.”

Moondancer adjusted her glasses. “Was it the source of the error in the low-x region?”

Twilight’s eyes went wide. “It was! So you noticed it too.”

“I did,” Moondancer said. She levitated some pages over and flipped through some before selecting one from the bunch and passing it over. “I think we had some magical resonance and that always has some nasty effects. I’m pretty sure that’s what has brought on this undesired behavior.”

Twilight took the sheet and scanned it. The page itself was an ordinary line graph joined by a couple of equations at the bottom. The graph itself gave a distribution; somewhere in the middle, the line rose up toward what looked like a spike and then fell again. The equations told her where that spike was.

“I think you might be right,” Twilight said.

“I wanted to mention it too, but I just haven’t been able to figure out how to parse it. If you know what I mean.”

Twilight nodded and set the paper down. “Okay, okay. Do you know specifically what was resonating?”

Moondancer shrugged. “I’ve narrowed it down. But I don’t have the resolution to really peg it down.”

Twilight sighed and rubbed her face with her hooves. “So then… we might not be able to solve it. We might just have to live with having these large error bars. I hate this.”

Moondancer shook her head. “We still have better results than every other paper on the subject before this.”

Twilight threw her hooves into the air. “I guess.”

Moondancer took a sip from her teacup and returned to her readings.

Twilight looked through a few more of the papers, taking bites from her sandwich all the while. Her eyes occasionally wandered to a large object near the back wall: a large apparatus of idle pumps, empty tubing, and electrodes surrounded a large and ornate mirror. The more time that passed, the more she found herself looked in its direction.

Moondancer caught onto Twilight’s glances and looked up as well. “Uh, Twilight? You okay?”

Twilight jumped in her seat and then looked over. “Oh. Yes! I’m fine. I think.”

“You’re looking a little bit distracted, Twilight; you keep looking at that mirror over there.”

Twilight shrugged. “Well, that mirror is actually an invention of Starswirl’s. It’s a portal to another world.”

Moondancer tilted her head. “Really?”

“Yeah! I’m not entirely sure of the specifics, since all of my books on Starswirl don’t have anything in them about the mirror, but it’s definitely a portal to another world.” Twilight giggled. “I’ve actually been to that other world a few times these past few years.”

Moondancer gagged on the tea mid-sip. “Seriously!? What’s it like over there? What kind of ponies live there? Are they even ponies at all?” Moondancer asked between coughs, not bothering to wait for either her coughing to stop, or for the answers to her inquiries before firing off multiple follow-up questions.

Twilight blushed. “Uh, it’s... different, but not so different… it’s a little hard to explain. I can tell you they aren’t ponies at all, though.”

“Wow…”

Twilight scratched her head and said, “I have a friend over there who came by the other day because of a friendship problem, and I’m just a little worried since she hasn’t written me back yet.”

“You’re friends with ponies from another world? Stars, that’s... wow...”

“Technically, I’m friends with several people from another world,” Twilight giggled. “But the one I’m talking about is actually from our world. Her name’s Sunset Shimmer—”

Moondancer gasped. “Oh. Oh! I know of her. She was Celestia’s student before you were, right?”

“That’s the one. I’m a little surprised you know of her. She hasn’t been in Equestria for a while.”

“Please Twilight, I may have been a total shut-in for a few years, but it’s not like I’m not aware of this kind of stuff,” Moondancer said with a smug grin. “So, hey, was that why I saw you in Canterlot?”

Twilight jumped. “Uh, yes! You saw me!?”

“I was there in the library. You know, revisiting some materials for the paper.”

Twilight giggled. “Oh my goodness. You should have said something. I would have come over to say hi.”

“I figured I would come find you later. But I looked all over that library and couldn’t find you anywhere.” Moondancer threw her hooves into the air. “And I know that place like the back of my hoof.”

Twilight giggled. “Oh my gosh. You are not going to believe where we went. There is a section of that library that I didn’t even know existed!

Moondancer frowned. “Must be really well hidden, then. I’ve spent hours in there, and this is the first I’m hearing about it.”

“It was amazing!” Twilight sprang to her hooves and was in Moondancer’s face immediately. “They had Canterlot Cantabiles Volume Thirty-one!”

Moondancer shot to her hooves. “No! You’re kidding! That’s when it gets good!”

Twilight laughed. “I know! Oh, if only I could show you myself. It’s a restricted section, though.”

“Restricted!? You’re going into the—” Moondancer took a long and deep breath and finally met Twilight’s eyes. “Okay, you have to tell me what happened now, if you’re going into a restricted section for it.”

Twilight backed up, nodding all the while. “Let’s see…”

* * *

Sunset Shimmer withdrew into herself even more. The chair she sat on, which consisted of a hardened material she didn’t recognize, felt alien underneath her. It was incredibly strange that her hind legs, if they could even be called that anymore, were draped over the front.

The person sitting at the desk across from her was impossible. This Princess Celestia look-alike was impossible. Rather, she was Principal Celestia. Sunset had to continuously tell herself that she did not know this person. She knew a pony like this person, but that pony was not this person.

Principal Celestia folded her hands together and nodded. “I see. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.”

The woman standing next to her, Vice Principal Luna, nodded. “We may all have seen enough of this Equestrian magic by now to accept this. We shall have to have quite a few words with this Wallflower when she comes into school tomorrow.”

The six strange girls from wherever they had just come from were also there. The strange transformation had apparently worn off, but that did Sunset no favors. They nodded in response.

Principal Celestia sighed and shook her head. If she was anything like the Celestia that Sunset had known, this was her way of expressing disappointment, and/or frustration. She had seen Princess Celestia act similarly during those chance few royal meetings she had attended as her pupil not too long ago.

Well, to her, they weren’t too long ago. According to everyone else around her, however, this was far from the case.

Principal Celestia opened a notebook, which Sunset assumed was some kind of day planner or something similar, and jotted a few lines down. “I’ll inform Mr. Doodle to have her come to my office first thing.”

Twilight, or rather Sci-Twi (if Sunset had indeed heard that nickname right), looked at her friends. “Should we come to the office too? We were there when she stole Sunset’s memories, and we’re also her friends, so—”

“Perhaps that would be a good idea,” Vice Principal Luna said. “We’ll need all accounts of what happened, for one. And, as a matter of fact, Sunset may have to rely on you to even explain what happened…”

A silence fell on the room as Sunset glanced up and met Vice Principal Luna’s eyes. Sunset’s frown deepened as she considered the other’s face, and Vice Principal Luna, in turn, regarded Sunset’s almost imperceptible tremble and the way in which she pressed herself as far into the chair as possible.

Vice Principal Luna sighed and crossed her arms. “I am… unsure if you even comprehend what has happened to you.”

Sunset hung her head. “Everypony is telling me that I’ve forgotten everything. I don’t... know,” she said. “They tell me I’ve been here for years and that I know everypony here but I don’t. I don’t know what I’m supposed to believe.”

“You can believe us,” Twilight offered.

“And believe that this is what happened to me? You’re telling me that it’s been three years or so since I hopped through that portal? I don’t know if I want to believe it!”

Principal Celestia nodded. “I can understand it. It is okay if this feels like a lot to take in.”

Sunset slammed her fists against the desk. “How do I know? You all say that I came here, ruled this school for a while, and then I supposedly turned a new leaf, but someone who probably didn’t believe it decided to take revenge. How do I know that any of that happened?” She slammed the desk again. “How do I know that I’m not being lied to?”

Principal Celestia met Sunset’s eyes for a few long moments and then took a brief glance at the clock. With a sigh, she stood up and walked toward one of the steel cabinets on one side of the room. Its top served as a small bookshelf of sorts. She picked a total of three similarly-constructed books off of it.

The other girls made a few cooing sounds under the breath.

“I won’t try to convince you of everything you are seeing and hearing is the absolute truth; not unless you feel like you want me to. But these are yearbooks from past years. They aren’t definite records of the past by any means, but maybe they’ll be useful to you,” Principal Celestia said as she turned and held out the books for Sunset.

Sunset stared at the yearbooks for a few moments more and then tentatively reached out for them. Her hands automatically (and impossibly) reached out and gripped them perfectly. She pulled the yearbooks into her and examined them one by one.

Principal Celestia crossed her arms. “For now, there is one thing that I must convince you about, and it is that you have a home here, in this world.” She briefly exchanged glances with Vice Principal Luna before adding, “And it is our responsibility to make sure you make it home safely tonight.”

“I… do?” Sunset wheezed.

“The apartment,” Rarity said. “You have an apartment here.”

“Yes,” Vice Principal Luna said as she offered her hand. “So, if you would stand up and come with me, I will take you.”

“Uh,” Applejack began, “you know where she lives?”

“Given everything that has happened since the Fall Formal, we have had to,” Vice Principal Luna said with a sigh.

“Riiiight,” Rainbow Dash said, crossing her arms.

Vice Principal Luna turned. “Keys?”

Principal Celestia reached into her jacket pocket and handed a set of keys over. “I’ll be out of the staff meeting at five.”

Vice Principal Luna nodded, twirling the keyring with her finger. “I hope we’ll be able to get in by that time. If not, we’ll have to figure something else out. Come along, Sunset Shimmer.”

As Vice Principal Luna opened the door and led Sunset out of the room, Celestia returned to a cabinet under her side of the desk and reached in for some folders. “I have to prepare for my meeting, but I will be here once I get out. Feel free to stop by. In fact, please do.”

* * *

“So what are we supposed to do about Sunset’s memory?” Rainbow Dash asked as they walked down the hall. “I mean, even if Wallflower actually shows up tomorrow, the Memory Stone is broken. We don’t know the first thing about Equestrian magic...”

“Sunset Shimmer should still know about Equestrian magic! She only lost her memories of high school, right?” Pinkie asked. “She was calling for her world’s version of Principal Celestia, remember?”

“I do, but would she even want to help us?” Fluttershy said as she twiddled her fingers together.

“What do you mean, Fluttershy? Why wouldn’t she? We’re her friends!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

“I know we are, but she doesn’t remember being our friend.”

Sci-Twi hung her head and let out a long and dejected sigh. “True, and we didn’t exactly trust her when we lost our memories of her.”

“But that’s because we only remembered her for who she was, and not who she had become,” Rarity said, pausing a moment to examine a nail. “We only remembered the bad things she’s done, but not the good memories we shared with her.”

“What about the journal she uses to talk to the Princess?” Sci-Twi asked. “The Memory Stone was using Equestrian magic, and she’s the only other person we know that knows as much as Sunset on the subject.”

Pinkie Pie leaped and bounded around the group. “If there’s anyone who can solve a friendship problem, it’s Princess Twilight! She is the Princess of Friendship, so this will be a cakewalk for her!” And, just like that, her mouth began to water. “A cakewalk sounds really yummy right about now.”

“We can get cake after we notify Princess Twilight, dear.” Rarity giggled. “We just need to find Sunset’s Journal.”

Hearing this, Pinkie stopped bouncing, and shot a confused look at Rarity. “Wait... find it? Didn’t she have her bag when she went after Wallflower?”

“I don’t think so...” Fluttershy mumbled. “At least, I don’t think she did.”

A puff of smoke from down the hall briefly caught their attention where, when the smoke cleared, they witnessed Trixie Lulamoon glancing about her person, jumping for joy, giving the door behind her a swift kick, and practically running further down the hall.

“Maybe she left it in her locker or something?” Rainbow Dash suggested.

“If it is, we’d need her combination. Otherwise, we’d be up a creek without a paddle,” Applejack said. “As easy as it’d be for me or Twilight to use our magic to rip the door open, we’d probably get in trouble for breaking school property.”

“So what? We just ask the custodian to break the lock off. That should be easy enough, right?”

“We can’t without Principal Celestia’s permission, and she’s in that staff meeting,” Applejack said, pointing a thumb over her shoulder. “I don’t think we’ll be able to ask her until after.”

Sci-Twi frowned. “And this assumes that it’s even in her locker, to begin with.”

Rainbow Dash tapped her foot and groaned. Her eyes wandered over the entire hallway. Her eyes fell on the door they had just seen Trixie in front of and she gasped. She zipped over to it quicker than a lightning bolt and pressed her face against the glass, trying to peer inside.

Pinkie Pie was next to her in seconds and she too also peered into the room. Aside from Twilight’s selfie detecting drone on the center island, they found nothing of note—not within where they could see, anyhow.

Rainbow Dash tried the handle but it jiggled in place. “Locked.”

“Is it in there?” Fluttershy asked as she and the others walked up.

Pinkie Pie made a noncommittal sound and shook her head.

Applejack threw her hands into the air. “For land’s sake. That journal could be anywhere in this school. And I don’t know how we’re gunna find it.”

Fluttershy folded her hands together. “We don’t have any other ways to get in touch with her, do we?”

After a moment, Sci-Twi’s eyes lit up. “Maybe we do... Maybe the portal is still open...”

* * *

“Okay, let’s see if I got this right,” Moondancer began, attempting to sort through what Twilight had just finished explaining. “Sunset Shimmer’s friends, whom are that other world’s version of our friends, had their memories stolen with an Equestrian artifact that Clover the Clever hid in that world?”

“Yep,” Twilight replied.

“And you didn’t go over to that world because...?”

Twilight sighed. “It’s... complicated. Well, not really, but it’s weird, you know?”

“What’s weird about it? You’ve been over there before, so what’s the big deal?” Moondancer asked. “Not to mention that you’re the Princess of Friendship, and probably one of the most magically gifted ponies I know; this is kind of in your wheelhouse.”

“Yeah, but it’s—”

The creak of the library doors opening interrupted Twilight before she could finish her thought. Looking over, she was greeted by a nervous smile as a pinkish-coated mare stepped into the room.

“Hey Twilight, Moondancer,” Starlight Glimmer said. “I’m not bothering you right now, am I?”

Twilight offered her friend a smile and a gesture that told the mare to come right in. “Not at all, we were sort of just chatting about my recent trip to Canterlot.”

Starlight’s face twisted a little in confusion. “You went to Canterlot? When?”

“The other day. I was gone quite a while.”

“I went to the spa with Trixie, I think.”

Twilight nodded. “Oh, that’s right, you weren’t at the castle that day. Did Spike not tell you? I could have sworn I told him to let you know.”

“I thought he went to go help Rarity that day? Or am I remembering wrong?”

Twilight lightly smacked her forehead, just below her horn. Of course she’d forget something as small as that; Sunset had visited that day, and she had gotten caught up in the idea of helping Sunset smooth things over with Princess Celestia, and had forgotten to leave a note for Spike or Starlight to explain where she had gone.

“...I forgot about that. I was a little too absorbed in helping Sunset that I—”

Starlight jumped. “Wait, Sunset was visiting? Why? Is something wrong over there?” she asked, a slight tremble to her voice.

“Hold on…” Moondancer interjected as she narrowed her eyes. “Starlight, you’ve been over there too? Am I the only one here who didn’t know about Starswirl’s mirror portal?”

Starlight blushed, smiling sheepishly as her face darkened to a shade of pink that matched the color of the Element of Laughter’s mane. “Yeah, but I haven’t been there as much as Twilight has. I think I’ve only been over there twice.”

“Twice? I thought it was only the one time?” Twilight asked, confused. She leaned across the table. “Did you sneak over there recently without telling me?”

“... Maybe?” Starlight mumbled, her flushed face glowing like the freshest apple from Sweet Apple Acres. “It was only for a few hours, while you were away dealing with a Friendship Problem. I was back before you were, so I didn’t think it was a big deal. Sorry...”

Twilight smiled, and rested a comforting hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “No, it’s fine. I’m just happy that you’re getting along with the girls in that world.”

“Ahem!” Moondancer cleared her throat. “Not to interrupt, but Twilight, you were just about to tell me why you didn’t go over there to help with your friend’s losing their memories.”

“Wait, what!?” Starlight shrieked. “They lost their memories!?”

“It’s a long story, Starlight,” Twilight sighed. “The short version is Sunset’s friends had their memories stolen by someone using an artifact from our world called the Memory Stone.”

“That doesn’t sound so good,” Starlight replied.

“She’s working on getting those memories back,” Twilight continued. “I hope she succeeds.”

“Me too,” Starlight seconded.

“Well,” Moondancer said as she reached across the table, “if she’s anything like you made her sound, she should be okay.”

“I know,” Twilight said with a blush. “She’s smart… and capable… I have faith she’ll come through this.”

A crackling sound caught their attention. The three of them looked at the portal as magic sparks flew across it. Compressors hummed as they came to life and bits of magic flowed through many of the tubes that wound around the mirror.

Twilight stood up and made her way around the table. “That might be Sunset. But why…?”

Moondancer hummed and followed suit.

The apparatus continued to pump energy around its many facets and then finally shot two lasers into the face of the mirror. The face transformed into a swirling vortex of strong pinks. There was a flash and then the portal dumped several bodies across the floor.

Starlight jumped. “What the hay!?”

These six ponies—with one exception—looked just like the rest of Twilight’s friends, down to their coat colors, their manes, and the cutie marks on their flanks. The exception, however, looked much like Twilight as she had looked like as a unicorn, had her mane in an actual ponytail, and sported large black glasses like the ones Moondancer wore on her face.

And this strange Applejack was the first to stir. She wiped the stars from her eyes. “Hello?”

Twilight gasped. “Girls! You’re… here!?”

Rainbow Dash rolled over and then looked up. “P-princess Twilight?” she said.

“Uh, yes! Are you from Canterlot High!?” Twilight practically screamed. “What are you doing here!?”

Pinkie Pie immediately rolled over and then attempted to stand up on her hind legs. She wobbled and teetered about, not quite acclimated to the sudden shift of her center of gravity.

Moondancer’s eyebrows were raised to their fullest extent as she examined each of them. But, as she considered her own Twilight and Starlight, her expression loosened back up.

Fluttershy looked up. “Yes. Hi…”

Rarity looked up. “Hello, Twilight. Yes, we’re from Canterlot High. How are you?”

Twilight frowned. “Uh, wow. I did not expect this.”

Starlight’s eye turned to the unicorn Twilight who still lay relatively motionless on the floor. She frowned and scrambled over. “Hey, Twilight! Twilight! Sci-Twi!” Starlight exclaimed.

Sci-Twi rolled over and groaned. “Anyone catch the license plate of that bus?” she slurred.

Starlight sighed. “Gosh. I guess you are all okay, but—”

Slowly, but surely, the five most conscious ones took various glances at the way that Twilight, Starlight, and Moondancer stood and then looked at their own bodies. While four of them made various attempts to stand on their hind legs, failed, and then eventually settled into being on all-fours, the last shrank into herself.

“I’m naked,” Rarity grumbled.

“Sunset told us enough about Equestria. Still feels a bit weird, but it ain’t like we didn’t have any idea of what to expect,” Applejack said.

“Yes, well, I had assumed that the ponies over here wore clothes. Especially after hearing about Equestria from both Sunset and the Princess,” Rarity sighed. “I was so excited to see what kind of cute clothes little ponies would be wearing too...”

“No offense, Rarity, but now is definitely not the time to be worrying about how ponies dress," Rainbow said, rolling her eyes. “That’s not why we're here.”

“I do suppose that’s true.”

Twilight glanced between them and then stepped forward. “So, wait. You remember?”

“Yes!” Sci-Twi exclaimed as she suddenly rolled over. “Everything!”

Twilight clapped her hooves together. “I’m so pleased to hear that! After Sunset left to go find the Memory Stone, I couldn’t stop worrying about it.”

“These are the friends you were talking about?” Moondancer asked.

Twilight nodded. “These are my friends from Canterlot High. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, and… me.”

“Hi, I’m Moondancer.”

“Hey! Nice to meet you!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed, zipping over to Moondancer. She then looked at her own hooves and then at Moondancer’s hooves and then frowned. “Uh, what hand do I shake? How do I do this?”

Moondancer pulled back. “Uh, I’d rather not if that’s okay.”

“So…” Starlight began, “where is Sunset anyway?”

Sci-Twi eventually stood up and, while wobbly, trotted over to join her friends as well. “That’s just it. That’s why we’re here. She doesn’t remember anything! And we don’t know how to fix it.”

Twilight’s smile fell, and with it, the color seemed to drain from her face. “Sunset... lost her memories?” she asked, her voice cracking as the words left her mouth. She had questions; dozens of them floating around in her mind. And yet, her lips remained sealed to all but one word; to the simplest of questions to ask: “How?”

Sci-Twi gripped her foreleg, and her head drooped. The crestfallen look in her eyes only made her friends’ faces fall.

“Sunset... she dove in front of us to protect us... and she never got those memories back...” Sci-Twi explained, the guilt making her Equestrian counterpart wince with empathy. “That’s why we’re here... we don’t know what to do!”

“So she gave up her memories to save all of yours...” Twilight said, knowing it to be true. “She did tell me the other day that she would do anything to save all your memories. Listen, there’s this artifact called the Memory Stone. It’s a small rock about—”

“We know about the Memory Stone, sugarcube,” Applejack interrupted.

Twilight blinked and then eventually. “Oh, well that makes things simple. Just use the stone and restore her memories.”

“But that’s just it!” Rarity squealed. “We can’t! We destroyed the stone!”

Moondancer raised an eyebrow. Starlight gasped.

Twilight’s blood ran cold just as quickly as her jaw dropped out of place. She tentatively stepped forward as she scanned each of their faces. She looked for an indication she could find that they had said something inaccurate. She wanted them to be looking at Rarity with raised eyebrows and confused frowns, but instead, they stared Twilight down with pale expressions and held breaths.

“You…” she said at length. She couldn’t believe it. “You destroyed the Memory Stone?”

“Yes,” Rarity replied.

Starlight swore under her breath.

Twilight had to take a step back in order to remain standing. “No. You… destroyed the Memory Stone… and Sunset didn’t get her memories back?

Rainbow Dash shuddered. “Yeah, you got it. Twilight, what do we do?”

Moondancer’s jaw also dropped.

Twilight began hyperventilating, and the sound of her heartbeat filled her ears. “No. No… that’s not possible. She should have…”

Rarity swallowed. “W-we can fix this… right?”

“Oh goodness!” Twilight exclaimed. It was wrong. It was very wrong.

All of the others exchanged uncertain glances and then, on considering her again, lost a bit of color in their faces amidst various horrified gasps and pointed exclamations. Their mouths moved, but Twilight couldn’t make out the voices through the drumming of her heart.

“Oh, goodness no!” she exclaimed. It could not happen. She needed it to not happen. “No no no!”

She scanned their faces one last time and found nothing but anguished contortions and increasingly wet faces. And then she fell to her haunches. “Please… no…”