• Published 28th Jan 2018
  • 4,259 Views, 110 Comments

The Story Of Rainbow - thedarktome



Who exactly is Rainbow Dash? She said she grew up in cloudsdale, but that's it. Her father said she gained all her mother's good looks, but doesn't she look more like her father, Bow Hothoof. And what do the Princesses have to do with this?

  • ...
4
 110
 4,259

Chapter 4 - Realization And Explanation

That afternoon, after the craziness of her parent's home, Rainbow Dash flew through the sky, heading back towards the small town of Ponyville. In the back of her mind, she was still trying to figure out what was going on. Her eyes were still changing colors, which was kind of freaking her out still. And for some reason her forehead was beginning to hurt.

She reached up, feeling the sore area to realize there was a bump there, particularly large. "This is not good," she muttered.

She tilted down, preparing to land before something jumped into her vision. She gasped and flapped her wings, slowing herself to a stop in front of....a Royal Guard?

"Rainbow Dash?" he asked stoically. She nodded slowly. "Your castle is ready." Rainbow raised an eyebrow at the term "Castle", not understanding what he meant.

"Castle?" she asked. "What do you mean 'Castle'?" The guard shifted through his paperwork, eventually finding what he was looking for. He cleared his throat before reading aloud.

"Celestia herself has decreed that Rainbow Dash shall have a Royal Castle in her name for reasons that will be clarified soon by Celestia herself." The guard handed her the paper so she can read it herself. "Your place of residence shall be on your right a little bit above and away from Ponyville. You will have guards stationed there Twenty-four seven."

Rainbow dash slowly turned her head to the right, her mouth dropping open. There was indeed a castle, sitting their in the sky. But the word complex would've matched it better. It was a very very big set of five buildings, with towers on the corners of each, raising into the sky. The one in the middle had, evidently, three floors, with neighboring clouds above it shooting rainbows out. It was obviously visible in Ponyville. If not bigger than Ponyville.

"Oh...my...Celstia." The guard pulled out another paper, something Celestia deemed very important.

"You'll also have guards around YOU twenty-four seven."

"What?!"


"What do you think that is?"

"I don't know."

"It's a house."

"Who lives there?"

"Canterlot nobility maybe?"

Everyone down below in Ponyville stopped what they were doing to stare at the huge building that suddenly appeared over their city. Twilight was looking through her telescope relaying what she saw to the ponies down below, anxious to know the cause of the sudden castle in the air.

"Ok...it's definitely a castle. I see Pegasi guards stationed all around it." Everyone looked from her back to the castle, including the mayor. "Ok....ok, someone's coming down. I see a slipstream heading this way.....with eight others."

Everyone looked to see the slipstream starting to get wider as it landed on the outskirts of Ponyville, by sweet apple acres.

"Are you sure Celestia ordered you to build me a castle, as well as be around me...all day," Rainbow asked, freaked out as they walked past sweet apple acres.

"Yes, Ma'am," the guard, who Rainbow now knows as Captain Cloudstorm, answered. "We eight are your official security detail. A full squad."

Rainbow huffed as she stopped on the hill in front of Ponyville spotting all the ponies looking up at the castle. HER castle. That sounded so weird in her mind. "Well, here goes the barrage of questions," she said to them. "We're going to the library. It looks like a tree, you can't miss it...because it's the ONLY tree in the middle of town. Let's go."

She started walking forward, two guards on her left and right, the captain in the front, and two in the back and three more taking up the rear

Twilight was peering through the telescope, spotting six people heading their way. "OK, I SEE EIGHT ROYAL GUARDS AND SOMEONE ELSE HEADING OVER THE HILL AND COMING THIS WAY!" She let go of the telescope and looked around it with her naked eye along with everyone else wanting to know who has a castle in the middle of the sky.

Soon they heard the clanking of metal from the Royal Guards as they came into view. "Everyone move aside!" Captain Cloudstorm ordered. "Move aside, move aside!" The ponies all cleared a path, making a way for the group. "Shine Heart, hand the Mayor the notice."

One of the guards branched off from the back and trotted over to Mayor Mare, handing her a scroll before heading back to the escort. Soon, they stopped in front of the oak tree doors and knocked.

Spike opened the door and let them walk in, spotting a familiar rainbow colored tail walk in with them. All of the mane 6 was there, looking at them confusedly.

"Can I...help you gentlemen?" Twilight asked, stepping forward. Suddenly a light blue blur shot out from behind them, stopping in front of Twilight.

"YES!" Rainbow exclaimed, placing her hooves on her shoulders, shaking her. The bump on her head was starting to show and protrude more than it was before and her eyes were still changing colors. Her hair was getting more clear and long, having a a slight movement in it. Not too noticeable though. "WHAT IS GOING ON WITH ME?!"


"So...Celestia made you a castle?" Twilight asked the mare of the day. Rainbow nodded her head, trying to ignore all the stares she was receiving, drinking a cup of tea.

"Yeah. But I don't get why I need guards, why my mane is getting more...perfect, my tail longer, my wings longer, or why my eyes are doing the crazy color changing thing! I know I asked you to keep it a secret, but now AJ knows. So I'll be preparing for a verbal war later on. And get this...it all happened in one day! And guess what day?" She took a sip of her tea while they tried to figure it out.

"Your birthday?" Fluttershy asked, making Rainbow spit out her tea in surprise.

"You remembered?"

"I could never forget my best friend's birthday." She walked out of the group and towards the pegasus, giving her a hug. "We were going to give you a party in the kitchen, but...you showed up with guards, acting like it was the end of the world, so...it will have to wait."

Rainbow grinned before she nuzzled Fluttershy, making her gasp unnoticeably and blush. "It means alot that you remembered," she told her. "It means the world."

"You're welcome."

Applejack cleared her throat getting their attention, and making them go red, realizing that they had an audience.

"If you love birds are done," she said. "Then maybe we can get down to the part where Twilight can use that...what is that, anyway?" Everyone directed their attention towards the purple unicorn who somehow managed to get her hands on some giant machine with a chair and some type of head thing dangling from the top, as well as wearing a white lab coat with some glasses.

"This is a scanner...that I borrowed," she answered, wheeling it towards Rainbow before the Captain of the guard stepped in front of her.

"You are not allowed to place Lady Dash in any type of instrument without her permission."

"It's alright," Rainbow said, getting off the couch and walking towards the machine. "I trust her. Now how do I get in this frankenpony looking thing?!"

"Just jump on the seat." Rainbow, following Twilight's instructions, climbed into the chair and turned around, facing forward. Twilight put the cap on Rainbow's head and stepped back going over to the screen on the side.

"I just realized this thing was NOT up here a second ago," Rarity said. "Twilight, dear...where in Equestria did you get that?"

"Pinkie." Everyone, including the guards, turned at the pink pony, confusion written on their faces.

"Whaaaat, I hide all types of stuff in my tail," she said, gleefully pointing to her rear. They all looked from her rear then back to the machine before Rainbow interrupted with a loud groan.

"Can we just get this started?!" She asked. "My head is hurting more!" She pointed to the portruding object on her forehead, which was getting a little larger and sharper. "It's like a horn or something!"

"Ok. Hold still." Twilight pulled the lever, watching as the machine started to glow from the top amd slowly go over Rainbow's body. Once it stopped, she stepped away from the control and towards the printer.

The pony grabbed some sheets and walked over to the patient, reading. "You can get down now." Rainbow jumped off the machine and landed on all four hooves, her eyes still changing colors.

"Well?" She asked. "What does it say?" Twilight looked over the report, reading and muttering to herself while everyone else just watched.

"Uh huh....uh huh.....oooooooo," Twilight muttered, looking up at Rainbow in shock. "Well....it explains the horn, I guess."

"What explains the horn?!"

"Well...you're turning into an Alicorn." Everyone turned their heads to Twilight, including the guards who were positioned by the windows.

"WHAT?!!" Rainbow yelled. "HOW IN CELESTIA'S NAME AM I TURNING INTO AN ALICORN?!" Twilight shrugged in response, a little confused as well.

"I don't know! The only way for you to become an Alicorn is if you've ascended or if you were born from one."

"Well, we definitely know Dash ain't smart enough to ascend," Applejack said, making Rainbow look at her irately. "So she was either born from one or that horn's a fake."

"Yeeaaah," Rainbow said, staring daggers at the farmer. "The pain in my forehead is from something that is NOT real. Yeah, yeah, that's the problem. So it must be my parents then because AJ, no matter how much I hate saying this, is right."

"Told ya.'"

"Shut up. I didn't ascend because there was definitely no light show, no singing-"

"Why would there be singing?"

"Shut up, AJ. There was definitely no singing and this is actually painful. When unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi ascend, I heard it's painless. OWW!" The watched as the horn on Rainbow's head began to grow slightly longer and sharper. "OWWW! OW OW OW OW....oh.....it stopped." She glanced up and looked at the horn to see it fully formed, complete with rings. "How's the rest of me?"

"Wellll," Twilight said, gesturing to the rest of her body. "Your hair is longer and more full and clear than it was this morning, your eyes have stopped changing and is just like seven colors in each eye, oh your hair is moving too, and...you're taller a little bit."

"Little Rainbow has hit her growth spurt," AJ said chuckling. "Congratulations, Rainbow! The worst part is when your voice starts cracking though, so.."

"SHUT UP, AJ!" Rainbow yelled, actually using the Royal Canterlot voice. She placed her hooves over her mouth, looking at everyone having wide eyes and a blown back mane.

"Alright, jeez," the stetson wearing pony said, picking her hat up off the floor. "No need ta' get angry."

"I'm sorry," Rainbow said, approaching her. "This is just really stressful. I CAN'T CONTROL THIS!!"

Applejack sighed as she bent down to pick up her stetson once again. "You need to TRY to get in control of this. Maybe the princesses can help you."

"Of course we will." All the ponies looked towards the door to see Princess Luna and Princess Celestia walk in. They all, except Rainbow, gasped and bowed to the two of them. "Rise, my little ponies. Especially you, Twilight. I already told you there is no need for that."

"Sorry!" She yelled, giving her teacher a smile.

"No need to apologize, either."

"Sorry!" Everyone looked towards the protege, seeing her sporting a toothy grin at Celestia, before turning back to the princesses. The two took a seat on the pillows nearby while some more guards walked in, one carrying a chest of some sort. What was surprising most of all though was Rainbow Dash's parents walking in behind them. The four of them all took a seat beside the princesses while the guard slid the chest off his back and onto the floor with a small thump.

"Take a seat, everyone. There is a story that must be told." The ponies all lined up in front of Celestia and sat down while the guards closed the blinds and windows. Luna lit the remains of her broken horn, shrounding the place in darkness while Celestia lit up hers, showing a remnant of the past.

"Almost twenty years ago," she started. "There were the pony sisters. So commonly known as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna." The display changed to show an old drawing of the two sisters. "But that was not entirely true. There...was three." The image slid over to the left to display another alicorn on the right. She had a baby blue coat with a darker blue mane and a cutie mark of a rainbow. "Her name was Spectrum. Princess Spectrum. We were destined to rule Equestria together, all three of us. So we did...for centuries. Then one day...we found a special gem." The image shifted to a red ruby that all the three princesses had their hooves on.

"The ruby would give thou infinite power," Luna said, pointing to the display. "It would increase your magic a hundred fold."

"Some say it was what created alicorns," The princess of the sun commented. "We used it to help us win wars." The image showed the three sisters in battle with the Thestrals. "But soon, just like all things....the fight came to us. One night, in the Everfree castle, Spectrum wanted us each to have a piece of the power to ourselves. She wanted us to absorb the magic, giving us MORE power." The image shifted, showing the three princesses in an argument, all three of them trying to talk at once. "I explained to Spectrum that the power will overpower us. Make us corrupted. Unfortunately, she did not listen. One night, back in the Everfree Castle, we were relaxing when Spectrum burst into the room. But this wasn't the Spectrum we knew."

The image shifted once more to display Celestia's memories. They were seen relaxing in the room and drinking some very expensive wine when the door burst open and a pony burst into the room. She had mismatched colors on her wings and in her eyes while her coat was deep black. She had fangs that were baring, snarling at the two princesses.

"Where is the jewel, Celestia?!" Spectrum yelled.

"What in Equestria?!" Luna said, standing up and facing the princess with her sister. "Spectrum! What has happened to thou?!"

"I've gained more power," she sneered, slowly advancing towards the pair. "And I want more. I know you have the jewel, Celestia! Now hand it over!" Spectrum charged towards the pair before they dodged towards the right. She looked behind her to see the princesses on the other side of the room, igniting their horns and firing their magic towards her. Spectrum commanded some trees nearby to throw their branches through the window, distracting them so she could fire her own magic. It hit the two princesses, sending the two through the stone wall.

They landed on the other side, sliding along the floor in the hall to see a gruesome sight. Luna gasped, seeing all the guards and staff.....dead, blood everywhere. "What has thou done, Spectrum?!" Luna yelled, standing up. "Thou has slaughtered all the guards and servants! What has thou done?!!"

"Quiet, Luna!" She sneered. "Give me the jewel and their deaths will not have been in vain! WHERE IS IT?!" She fired her magic at the two. They rolled out of the way and fired their own magic at her. The stone in front of the mad princess rose up into a block in front of her, shielding her from the magic. Once it stopped, she broke off the stone and sent it flying towards them. The princesses stopped the stone and threw it over to the side.

"That fight went on for a couple of hours," Celestia said, stopping the memory. "We eventually drove her away, making her retreat. She didn't return for a couple of years. Seven actually."

"Soon...she came back for a second round...during a very important time in Celestia's life," Luna said, gesturing towards her sister. "When she was....with child." The ponies in there gasped, including Rainbow Dash.

"You had a foal?!" Twilight yelled. "When was this?! How do people not know this?! THIS IS HISTORY!!!" Celestia chuckled. Twilight was always such a scholar.

"A little while after the delivery, we were forced to leave the castle," Luna continued. "Celestia took the child, along with the jewel. This is the part of the story that was commonly known. I gave Celestia a hug and told her to take her and the child with her. I went and fought Spectrum, leaving Celestia to commence with the plan. Spectrum was able to stop me and broke my horn in the process before she banished me, her own sister, to the moon for eighteen years. Why eighteen, I have no clue. But I bought Celestia some time to...save the power and the child."

"I brought her and the gem over to a place that would not be damaged beyond repair...and I transferred the power into her body. I then told her I loved her and left her with some trusted contacts I knew would take care of her until it was time for me to return. I then fought Spectrum when she found me. I setup the trap by letting the empty jewel drop where she could see it. She chased after and caught it, focusing all her attention on it. I then gathered the Elements of Harmony and banished her to the sun for twenty years. So we were able to have peace for the years to come. But......I was not able to have my foal back."

"WHAT?! WHY?!" Rainbow yelled, stepping forward a little upset. "Would the contacts not let you have her?!" Rainbow's parents and the princesses chuckled at that.

"Quite the contrary," Luna said, stifling down her giggling. "Spectrum has some underground sources who were working with her. Very powerful sources. More powerful than the nobility. They also wanted the power, for what we do not know. So we hid her in safety until we know she is ready to protect herself. She will make herself known in the most dramatic way possible when she is...Rainbow Dash."

"What was the foal's name?" Twilight asked.

"You tell me, Twilight. You have already met her. Actually, you all have." The ponies took on a confused look before Celestia popped open the chest in front of her using her magic. Taking out a couple of photos, she displayed them on the floor in front of the ponies, side by side. The seven of them, including Spike walked forward, staring at the photos.

They were shots of Celestia with a foal in her hooves, nuzzling her. But the foal had a rainbow mane and a cerulean coat, and cerise colored eyes. Everyone looked at the photo closely, trying to figure out who it was until Rainbow let out a loud gasp.

"No....no no no no no," she muttered, walking around the room in circles. "Nonononono you CANNOT be my mom! Look, dad has my hair!" She pointed towards Bow Hothoof's mane before Luna grinned and pulled out a spray bottle, pointing it at him.

"Dont' you-" Bow was silenced as Luna started squeezing the trigger with her magic, spraying his hair with water. The ponies watched as his hair went from the rainbow to a deep black, the dye dripping all over his face. "LUNA!"

"What other way would there have been if not the bottle? A hose, perhaps?"

"Nope bottle's fine," he surrendered holding his hooves up.

"NO!" They all turned towards Rainbow Dash to see her running out the front door, scaring some of the ponies outside waiting before she flapped her alicorn wings and soared into the air, heading towards the newly developed castle. Celestia ran out the door, calling for her, trying to get her to stop.

"Rainbow! Rainbow, wait!" She flapped her wings and flew up after her, the other ponies wondering what's going on. Luna walked out with everyone else before turning around to face the group.

"You must not tell anyone of what you have learned. It is very dangerous to everyone. At least not yet. Guards, follow Celestia and Rainbow Dash." The guards Saluted before taking flight after the royals.


Rainbow Dash landed on the housing building's lawn, running through the two doors of the building in the middle before sliding to a stop in the hall. She looked in front of her, trying to figure out where to go. Maybe she could ask for help. But she left her guards behind.

"Lady Dash!" Or maybe not. Rainbow turned around slowly to see Captain Cloudstorm standing there behind her with the rest of the security team. "You mustn't run off like that, it is not very safe." Rainbow groaned before looking up to see Celestia walk towards her.

"Rainbow-"

"Why?" Rainbow asked her, stepping around the security and towards the princess. "If you're my mother, why haven't you at least told me before? Why wait eighteen years to finally tell me?!"

"Would you have believed me?" Celestia asked her, smirking. "I look nothing like you. Yes, you got my attitude, but you obtained everything else from your father."

Rainbow sighed and turned around in response. She was right. She definitely would not believe her. Maybe even crack a joke in the process. "Ok. Let's say I do believe you," she replied, turning back around. "Why wait until now to tell me? What made it so important to even tell me? Why would you have to lie to me?"

Celestia sighed and trotted closer to rainbow before ordering the guards to leave them be.

"Walk with me, Rainbow," she said. She opened extended a wing and offered a small smile towards her daughter. Rainbow pulled in her lips before sighing and walking underneath Celestia's wing, which was surprisingly comfortable and felt...familiar. The two slowly walked towards the stairs in front of them.

"When fillies are born Rainbow," she said, catching her attention. "They do not keep everything to themselves. And....well....I have a gift...I am a seer."

The new royal looked towards her mother. "What? You can see into the future?" Celestia nodded before they walked up the steps in front of them.

"There is a reason I named you Rainbow Dash. I saw you complete the sonic rainboom a couple times after you were born before you actually did them. I named you Rainbow because of your mane. And Dash, because you were able to dash past the competition."

"That was so cheesy." Celestia rolled her eyes and chuckled

"I'll work on it. Anyway, if I told you about any of those things at the time, you would not have kept them to yourself. You were bullied in flight camp, along with Fluttershy. Would you have kept it to yourself if someone were to offend you or your friend in any way? Would you not have said something like 'I am a princess and I will have you thrown you in a dungeon?'" The two stopped in front of two doors guarded by two guards that had a rainbow lightning bolt on it. Dash's cutie mark.

"You're right," she finally responded as she looked over the door with her insignia. "I most likely wouldn't have." Celestia tried to withdraw her wing, only for Rainbow Dash to stop her. "Could you....could you keep that there? I...like it." Celestia smiled and put it back over her, pulling the mare close to her.

Rainbow Dash nodded towards the two guards. They nodded back, turned around and pushed the huge doors open. The princess looked at her daughter proudly before they walked through the doors, entering into a large bedroom. There was a very big bed in the middle of the room facing the door that could hold two or even three Alicorns, a bathroom on the left, and some type of lounge on the left through a doorway with a balcony, showing the land and Equestria.

"There was a lot I had to give up to keep you safe," Celestia continued as they walked into the room. "I had to give up my happiness. You were my pride and joy, Rainbow." The two of them walked into the lounge and onto the balcony, peering out over the town below. Rainbow placed her hooves on the stone barrier, looking down at the magnificent ground below. "I had to give up Luna, who was banished during the whole time you were maturing. And I had to give up my sister, Spectrum. Who was corrupted by the jewel that we called...the Jewel of Rainbow. Because it was the cause of your life, and how you had to live it. Without me in it."

Rainbow looked back to her mother with sadness in her eyes. "Well...thank you for your sacrifices." Celestia smiled and gave her nearly tall daughter a nuzzle before looking back over the town, spotting a carriage coming up to the castle.

"Luna is bringing more guards for your castle. Also, your Sonic Rainboom...was actually given to you by the power of the Jewel of Rainbow." Rainbow looked over at Celestia, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"You are able to do the Sonic Rainboom because of the power that gem gave you. Whenever you leave this castle, try not to use it. It will bring powerful enemies after you....and those you love." Rainbow watched the chariots below land on the clouds in front of the metal gates before they were given clearance to enter.

"I won't. I promise." Celestia leaned over and nuzzled her daughter again, but this time, she got one in return.