• Published 28th Jan 2018
  • 4,290 Views, 110 Comments

The Story Of Rainbow - thedarktome



Who exactly is Rainbow Dash? She said she grew up in cloudsdale, but that's it. Her father said she gained all her mother's good looks, but doesn't she look more like her father, Bow Hothoof. And what do the Princesses have to do with this?

  • ...
4
 110
 4,290

Chapter 29 - Family Is Where love Is Pt. 2

While Rainbow and Fluttershy were sunbathing on the water, Scootaloo grabbed her towel and dried herself off, Silver Lining doing the same. Once the two had their manes dry, they trotted towards the adults to talk.

"So how is it living with a Princess?" Silver Lining asked her as they walked through the lobby of the hotel. Sweetie Drops opened the door for them before she followed behind them in the brisk summer air.

"It's okay," Scootaloo replied. "I mean the one I usually spend time with now is mom. Or Fluttershy. She's really nice and loves animals. Rainbow Dash, my mother, used to be the awesome one. Now it's just me who's the awesome one."

"Don't let her majesty hear you say that," Sweetie Drops commented, attracting the group's attention. "She'll attempt at an obstacle course or something just to 'regain her awesomeness.'"

"Obstacle course?"

"I'm sure she has one setup in the air somewhere. Now where are we headed?"

"Downtown, miss..." Green Grass stuttered.

"Sweetie Drops."

"Sweetie Drops. We're going to the main square. That's where all the main attractions are. Is that alright?"

"Depends on how crowded it is. We'll see." They continued on the tour while the adults pointed out the locations of everything. The family came here all the time for a vacation so they pretty much knew where everything is. How they could do this each year was a mystery to Sweetie Drops. She'd get annoyed if she had to come to the same city every year to relax. She enjoys flexibility, not constant familiarity.

"Here's the square." Golden Heights pointed towards the area in front of him where there were stores, museums, and restaurants that Scootaloo could just smell. She moaned and her mouth watered, amusing her bodyguard. "This is where everything that happens in Manehattan occurs. In the next few days, it's going to be bustling with ponies because of a food festival."

"Food festival?" Scootaloo asked her. "They have food festivals?"

"Yep!" Silver Lining confirmed, catching Scootaloo's attention. "A lot of businesses come over and put their food out for a taste test. And if a pony likes it, they can buy!"

"Sounds fun! But I have to ask if I can go."

"I'm pretty sure Princess Dash and Lady Fluttershy will agree to go," Sweetie Drops said. She turned to the adults. "What's next?"


While they were touring, Rainbow Dash and her girlfriend were basking in the sun once more. The birds were chirping from the trees behind them, as well as on Fluttershy's head, while the Royal Guard was keeping watch nearby. Rainbow sighed in relief from the cool drink she was sipping on, catching Fluttershy's attention. The pegasus sat up and looked closely at Rainbow's face before she let out a small chuckle. "You know.....you're starting to look like your mother," she said suddenly. Rainbow spat out her drink and looked at Fluttershy in shock.

"What?! I do not!" She blatantly denied. She in fact was gaining Celestia's facial expressions and facial features, including that kind smile.

"Yes you do. Guard?" The guard standing next to Fluttershy looked towards her. "Doesn't Rainbow Dash look like Celestia?"

"Do I look like Celestia?" Rainbow repeated. The guard looked between the two while his coworker on the other side was snickering.

"Er...I do not think it is my place to say, your highness," he answered nervously.

"No, no, no. Tell me...if I look like my mom." He bit his bottom lip and glanced towards the other guard who was shaking his head.

"Well......I have to say you do have Princess Celestia's facial features such as her snout, her smiles, the eyes..." Rainbow's eyes were changing colors again. "B-But that's it, your highness. Just her snout, eyes, and smile."

"There is absolutely no way I look like Princess Celestia!" Rainbow said in denial. She flopped back in her chair and slurped from her drink again while Fluttershy just giggled.

"Is that such a bad thing?" She asked.

"Well......I don't know. I mean I try to set myself apart from the rest of my family by being the one that stands out. I can't do that if I look like Celestia."

"Why not?"

"If I look like Celestia, then ponies around will think I act like her too. You know all forgiving, kind, 'Rise, my little pony'...things like that. But that's DEFINITELY not me. I'm more of the fun but serious type." Rainbow put her hoof to her chin in thought.

"Rainbow, you are like your mom." The Princess groaned and turned her back to Fluttershy, which meant she was going to be looking at bushes. "And that is a good thing. It's better than saying you're like your aunt." Rainbow blanched at that. She could not imagine her like Princess Luna.

"Yeah, I guess so," she sighed. "Fine. If I look like her, I look like her. But I am not her. Got it?"

"Whatever you say, dear."

"Good. Now can we please get up now? I'm pretty sure my back looks like a ladder from lying on this bench." Rainbow jumped up and stood on her hooves, stretching. She flexed her wings out and got the kinks out of her joints. "I mean we have to go and look around. Catch up to Scoots and eat." Fluttershy set down her drink and got onto her hooves too. Once the two grabbed their towels and dried off, they made their way back to their rooms to drop them off before one of their guards offered to do it for them. While the guard was going back to their room, the two went out the hotel to look for Scootaloo and the tour group with their guards right behind them. After they were out, they took to the air.

"Where do you think they are?" Rainbow asked aloud. Sergeant Cloudstorm looked at the ground around them and motioned to the square, not too far from the hotel.

"Right there, your highness," he answered, pointing towards the ground. There was a familiar orange filly with a magenta mane and tail, along with a silver coated filly with a light blue mane and tail.

"Dive," Rainbow ordered. The group did as asked before they flapped their wings to come in for a soft landing. "Hey, Squirt!" Scootaloo stopped and looked around before she spotted Rainbow trotting up to her. Once she was close enough, she bent down and nuzzled Scootaloo on the top of her head. "How's the tour?"

"Fun! We saw the square, some restaurants, and other things!" She responded enthusiastically. "They're having a food festival here in manehattan in a few days!" Rainbow froze and looked towards the square.

"Food festival?" The Princess whispered. She looked back towards the filly with bright eyes which were once again changing colors. "Will there be...cake?"

"I hope so," Scootaloo responded. Fluttershy picked her up by her teeth and tossed her onto her back.

"Even if there is cake, you only get a few slices," she informed her. "We don't want you getting a tummy ache. Same goes for you Rainbow."

"Awwww!" They both groaned. While her daughter and girlfriend were talking Rainbow motioned to Sweetie Drops. The agent quickly walked over and saluted.

"Were there any issues?" The princess asked her.

"No, ma'am. Everything was clear on this end."

"Good...good. We are still under the threat of attack until we find that pony who shot me in the back a month and a half ago. We're just having a sip of juice during the battle at this moment. If you see anything suspicious, let Sergeant Cloudstorm know immediately. Understood?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

After the briefing and meeting, the ponies once again made their way through Manehattan. Everywhere Rainbow walked, a pony, or group of ponies, took a moment to bow to her.

"Excuse me for asking, Princess," Golden Heights said. "But... doesn't the bowing annoy you after awhile?"

"Very," she responded. "You know how hard it is to NOT be seen when you're Royalty? Extremely! I cannot even step into town without somepony saying 'your highness'. I don't allow my guards to call me by title unless we're in public. I wouldn't allow it by anyone if I had my way about it, but ponies would get too comfortable if that was the case."

"Ah, I understand. Not too close, not too far."

"Right. Now...this museum?"

"It's right in front of us." Rainbow glanced up at the large two-story circular building in front of her that read Equestriam History Museum. "It's one of Manehattan's big attractions."

"Uh oh," Rainbow muttered. Fluttershy looked over at her.

"What is it?" She asked in concern.

"I'm a princess. An Equestrian Princess that has made history going into an Equestrian History Museum. Will that even look right?"

"It's for your daughter, not for you," Fluttershy deadpanned.

"I know, I know. But I don't want to be the center of attention. They're going to expect me to know most of this stuff. Don't get me wrong. Sadly, I know all of it because my office is filled with books on the subject. I became an egghead in three days."

"Is that a bad thing, Rainbow?" One of her guards asked.

"For me? I'm not sure."

"Oh come on, Princess," Sergeant Cloudstorm joked. "You have nothing to worry about. Now let's go inside and see things that are really old and dusty."

Rainbow looked forward and took a big gulp. She was not going to like this.

Author's Note:

Hello, everyone. I know this was not a good chapter, but it's not my fault. I accidentally took a Benadryl this morning and slept for three hours. I only had two hours left so...this was rushed.