• Published 2nd Feb 2018
  • 2,139 Views, 63 Comments

A Great and Powerful Love Story - DragonMaster24921



Shuffle Suite, a softly outspoken boy is about to enroll into Canterlot High. His life will soon be turned upside down when he meets a certain stage magician then things really get turned up for the teen. Shenanigans will ensue

  • ...
6
 63
 2,139

Preparations

Shuffle rushed through the crowds of people. Today was the start of CHS's Winter Sales, and he was already running late.

The talk with Zero earlier that morning at Salty Mike's had instilled a new feeling within Shuffle; he cursed himself multiple times for being rude to Trixie. It wasn't fair for her, and it was just a downright jerk move on his account. He knew if he could pull this off, she would be willing to forgive him… Hopefully.

Once he broke free of the crowd, Shuffle turned up his speed, finally getting within eyesight of his destination: Carousel Boutique.

The bell jingled as Shuffle entered. This had become foreign territory to him, considering he would just grab whatever was clean in his closet, barring having to wear particular clothes. Shuffle took a breath and approached the counter.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where everything's chic, unique, and magnifique! I'll be with you in just a moment.”

Shuffle stood in silence, mindlessly thumbing the side of his phone, waiting patiently.

“Good afternoon darling, how may I help you?” the voice said as a shadow was seen approaching.

“I just needed to place a custom order for something.”

The shadow finally reached its zenith before the curtain was swept aside revealing a young girl, about Shuffle’s age: her skin was pale white, she had sapphire blue eyes, and she wore a baby blue shirt and violet skirt.

“Well, placing an order this close to Christmas will be tricky, but I might be able to squeeze you in. What are you looking to have made?”

Shuffle took out his phone and pulled up a picture of Trixie in her cloak and hat.

“Something along the lines of the cloak and hat in the picture.”

The girl chuckled as she took a moment.

“I see Trixie's assistant has finally made his way here.”

“Wait, how do you know who Trixie is?”

“She usually comes in every few months for repairs to her cloak.”

“So can you do it?”

“Absolutely! I just need a design you would prefer, darling.”

“I don't really have any preference, just similar to Trixie's is fine.”

The lady visible frowned as she wrote down Shuffle’s order.

“And when do you need this finished?”

“The twenty-sixth.”

“I suppose that's all I need here. If you'll give me your number, I'll let you know when it's done.”

Shuffle nodded and quickly left the store.

The tailor took out her phone and sent a quick message away.

Our multi coloured eyed friend shall be coming your way.

Oki doki loki.

Rarity smiled, set her phone down and went back to work.


Shuffle's pace never slowed as he expertly weaved through the crowd of people. In his hand was a list of things he needs to get done in preparation for the surprise he had planned.

“Okay, cape ordered for the performance. Next, I need to place the order at SugarCube Corner, and hopefully I can get some lunch after,” he said aloud to no one in particular.

Shuffle's phone buzzed in his pocket as he crossed the street towards the sweet shop. After entering it, he checked his phone and noticed he had missed calls from Lavender and Fuschia. Shuffle moved out of the way for paying customers and dialed Lavender’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Lav, sorry I missed your call, I was running some errands. Did you need something?”

“Yeah, Trixie has been looking everywhere for you. She locked her phone in her trailer so she couldn't call so she walked over to my house. She seemed upset about something. Care to explain?”

“Lavender… It's just something that I needed to reflect on. I thought I told her that, but next time I see her I'll apologize. In the meantime, I need to finish this prep work, I've got something planned and I need to focus on it.”

“No, Shuffle, don't hang up on me!” Lavender shouted, but her phone already went back to her main screen.

“So, did you get a hold of him?” Fuschia asked.

“Oh, I did, and when I do it again, I'll make sure to give him a piece of my mind.”

“Why what did he say?”

“He said something about it being personal, maybe he has another girl?”

“No, have you seen those two? I could swear they were identical. Maybe it had something to do with when he went to talk to the Rainbooms,” Fuschia said, quickly dismissing the slight chance of Shuffle cheating on Trixie.

“Why did he talk to them?”

“Well, it wasn't the Rainbooms, per se, it was just Pinkie Pie.”

“So he's planning a party, but for what?” Lavender pondered.

The two sat in silence before both gasped, finally figuring it out.

“Uh-oh,” they said simultaneously.

Shuffle put his phone back into his pocket and got back into line. As he waited, his mind went back to the night Trixie was trying to get him to talk to her, and thanks to his own insecurities, he pushed one of the few people away that was willing to help him.

Shuffle signed, mentally facepalming himself for such an idiotic move on his part. Now that Lavender was in on it, he was going to have to explain this mess to the two of them.

After a few more minutes of waiting, Shuffle finally stepped up to the cashier of SugarCube Corner, with none other than Pinkie Pie working the register.

“Hiya Shuffle, what can I getcha?”

“Just here to place an order Pinkie, nothing complicated.”

Pinkie rubbed her chin for a split second before tapping something into the register.

“One Cinnamon Nut Swirl cake, one layer, quarter sheet?” she said matter of factly.

“Uh, yeah actually, I would ask how you knew exactly what I wanted, but I'm a little afraid of the answer. So, how much for the cake?”

Pinkie beamed and handed him a piece of paper.

“First-time orders are free of charge if they are pick-up; consider it an apology for the mean things Rainbow said to you.”

“Wow, thanks Pinkie, I'll come to get it when it's done,” Shuffle said as he turned to leave, but before he could even move, a pink hand had shot out to grab him, and in it was a small note.

“Forgot your receipt, silly.”

Shuffle smirked and nodded, leaving the shop.

“Okay, a cake is done, next is decorations.”

Shuffle continued down the street, cutting across and through an alleyway towards his destination, but as he reached halfway, he heard an audible Snap behind him. He turned around, seeing three boys had blocked one way of the alley.

“‘Ey look what we got here boys, a kid trying to take a shortcut through our turf.”

Shuffle sighed, recognizing the voice.

The “Gang” of CHS, the Diamond Dogs, consisting of Rover, the lanky gray leader, Fang, the lumbering muscle, and Spot, who... honestly, Shuffle didn't know what Spot did for them.

“Not today Rover, I've got crap to do.”

“Well too bad, card boy. You should have thought of that before crossing into Diamond Dog territory. Sic ‘em, boys.”

Shuffle sighed, sidestepping the largest of the trio who had been the first to charge the boy.

“Look you three, I've got a party to plan, and I really don't need any distractions, so if Y'all leave me alone I'll just go back the way I came and go around.”

Rover growled menacingly as he charged Shuffle, who responded with a twist to the side and an outstretched foot in Rover's path, tripping him.

“Seriously, just stop. This is getting sad. Leave while you're ahead, please?”

Rover seemed to get even madder as he got back to his feet.

“No, you will not disrespect The Diamond Dogs like this. Fang, Spot let's attack together!” Rover called out, going for another punch. Fang followed, his arms outstretched in an attempt to grab the teen. Spot, on the other hand, hesitated, seeing as how his short form couldn't help in any obvious way.

Shuffle responded with breaking out into a run, right before either dog could get to him he used an errant metal box to vault over the two, forcing them to collide with a spot.

“Welp, it's been fun lads, but I’ve got places to be, so off I pop,” Shuffle said in a cheeky cockney accent before turning towards the end of the alleyway he needed to go through and walked away.

THIS ISN’T OVER CARD BOY!” Rover screamed out as hard as he could.

Shuffle chuckled as he finally entered the store he was headed for.

After his little shopping spree was finished, he took the bags of supplies and quickly made his way home, this time avoiding the “Territory” of Rover and his gang. Once he arrived, he quickly stashed all of the party supplies in the garage, away from prying eyes, and headed in to take a shower.

“And where have you been?” a voice called out behind Shuffle in the living room.

“...Shit.”

“Trixie heard that now come here,” Shuffle quickly came into the living room to a very angry Trixie, her arms crossed. Shuffle could tell she had been waiting for a long time.

“Hi Trix, I just had to do stuff today, nothing else happened.”

“Oh yeah, then what was this ‘prep work’ you were talking to lavender about?”

“I can't say, it's meant to be for someone special.”

“Oh, and who would it be for!?”

“I can't say that either?”

“Shuffle, I trust you more than most people, even Lavender, and Fuschia on some things! If you value our relationship, you will tell me who it's for.”

“...Mom, it's meant for her. I was just trying to keep it from everyone else so no one could blab about it okay?”

Trixie nodded, smirking as she got her answer.

“Now another question: the ‘Personal Reflection’ you needed, did you get it?”

“Yeah, and I'm sorry I pushed you away; what Rainbow said shook my confidence, and it just affected me more than it should have.”

“So Rainbow Dash is the cause of your distress. What did she say?”

“...She...called me ‘Freak-Eyes.’”

“Really? Her insult has little merit, considering how her hair is, but still, Trixie is going to have a word with her next time she sees her.”

Shuffle quickly grabbed Trixie's hand, pulling her attention to him.

“Don't, I don't want to make a mountain out of this. Please, just let it go.”

“But she insulted The Great and Powerful Trixie’s boyfriend, and that is unforgivable! No matter what you say, Trixie is gonna-Mmph.

Shuffle pulled Trixie into a firm hug and kiss, both to reassure her that he was fine, and to stop her from going on another one of her tirades.

“It's fine, I promise you. Just let it go…”

Trixie blushed as Shuffle booped her nose.

“Fine, only because Trixie wants to.”

Shuffle laughed as he let Trixie go.

“That's fine with me, now if you'll excuse me, I’m taking a nap.”

“And what makes you think you’re doing that now?”

“Because I'll be in my room asleep. Unless I have a certain Great and Powerful snuggle buddy, I might stay up longer~.” Shuffle said, already up the stairs and making his way to his room.

Trixie stood for a single moment before following without another thought.


With winter break comes to snow, and with snow comes snow fights, making snowmen, hot chocolate with friends, and the ever-looming presence of Christmas being just a week away.

Whilst children were having fun, adults were getting their last minute shopping done for the holiday season, some doing it calmly, while others were physically losing their minds and wallets over what the “Perfect Christmas Gift” would be for their loved ones. Tesla was in the latter half; ever since Shuffle and Trixie had started dating, she had slowly started seeing Trixie like a family member. The only problem was, she didn't know much about her, so getting something was proving to be extra difficult, and she’d be damned if the only thing Trixie got from her was money.

“How the hell are you so calm!? Did you even get Trixie anything for Christmas?” Tesla asked Shuffle, who had come along just to put some last minute touches on his plan.

“Oh yeah, I got something planned, and it's just about done. I just need Vinyl to confirm she's available.”

“Well, good to see you're not having a mental meltdown, NOW HELP ME!” Tesla said as the two moved through the Canterlot mall.

“Mom, it's not hard. Trixie likes constantly working on her show, plus outside that, she likes watching borderline the same things I do. Why are you making such a big deal out of this anyway?”

“Well… I mean…. Ya see…”

“Besides, don't you have Lightning to buy for?”

“Well, yes, that's true, but it's been so long since I've seen you happy, and I wanted to make Trixie feel welcome.”

“Mom, listen, you let me take Trixie in after her mother basically disowned her. We have her travel trailer in our garage, you make breakfast and dinner for her, and most of all, you let her be close to me without thinking we are going to pounce on each other like manic animals in heat. She already appreciates everything you do for her. She might not show it, but I can promise you, she is very vocal about how you are.”

Tesla visibly relaxed.

“Thanks, Shuffle, I needed that.”

Shuffle smiled as he pointed towards a shop.

“Try your luck in there, and you might find something. I'm gonna head to the bookstore and check something out.”

Shuffle waved to his mother as she looked at the shop.

“Actually I got a better one that I bet both of you will enjoy,” Tesla said aloud changing directions and heading towards another store.

Author's Note:

Yeah, another chapter is done thanks to Xeno, now ima go die in my bed now :applecry: