• Published 20th Jan 2018
  • 1,481 Views, 73 Comments

Equestria Girls: Friendship is Chaotic - raven618



Rarity enters a strange password into her Chaotic scanner. Should be harmless, right?

  • ...
2
 73
 1,481

Starter Deck Ch01

It was an average day at Canterlot High, the school day had just ended and the student body was either going home to work on homework, heading out with friends to goof off, or hanging out in the cafeteria playing card games.

One of the students, a white skinned girl named Rarity, was getting her book bag sorted when she was approached by two of her friends.

"Twilight, Sunset!" she greeted, "How was your day?"

"Pretty good." the orange skinned girl, Sunset, responded. "We wanted to see if you and the rest of the girls wanted to hang out for a bit."

"I'd love to, Darling. But we may have to wait on the others for a bit."

"Really? Why?" Twilight, the spectacled violet one asked.

Rarity chuckled a bit, "Come, I'll show you."

The three girls entered the cafeteria, several of the tables were occupied by students playing a number of different card games. At one table near the end of the room were four girls sitting together. The blue skinned tom-boy, Rainbow Dash, and the orange country blonde, Applejack, were seated across from each other, a couple of trading cards set out on the table between them. A yellow skinned pinkette named Fluttershy sat next to Rainbow, holding what looked like bulky blue smartphone. The final member of their circle of friends, the bubbly Pinkie Pie, sat at the head of the table, watching the exchange.

"And that brings your creature down to zero energy AJ." Rainbow taunted as the other girls walked up. "Hey Sunset, Rarity, Twilight. You're just in time to see me win this game."

"We'll see, sugarcube," Applejack remained calm, despite Rainbow's taunts, "We'll see."

"I know trading card games are popular in this world," Sunset, who was also a unicorn from a parallel dimension, said. "But I'm not familiar with this one."

"Me either."

"It's called Chaotic." Pinkie answered, "It used to be pretty common, but disappeared a few years ago. But it's gotten a sort of second life recently."

"How do you play?" Twilight asked.

"Well, for starters, you have five different types of cards: Creatures, Attacks, Battlegear, Mugic, and Locations. Right now, AJ and Dashie each have only one creature on the field."

"Soon to be just mine." Rainbow added.

"When the battle begins, the attacker draws a location card from their location deck, and chooses an attacking creature and a target creature." Pinkie made sure her friends were still following along. They nodded to show that they were.

Rainbow drew a card of a sideways pile of cards to her left, "Runic Grove." The picture on the card showed a withered looking forest with leafless trees covered in glowing blue symbols. "Frafdo attacks, Blazier."

"Now they each draw attack cards and take turns trying to bring each other's energy down to zero."

Rainbow went first, "Vine Snare, deals five damage."

Applejack looked at her cards, and smirked, "Vine Snare, fifteen damage."

"Wait, they just used the same attack." Twilight inquired, "How come AJ dealt more damage?"

"Attacks deal different amounts of damage depending on the stats of the Creature using them." Rarity explained, "Vine Snare will deal five damage no matter who uses it, but if the creature can use earth attacks, then it will deal an extra five damage."

"And Blazier has Earth 5, meaning when he hits with an earth attack, another five damage gets added to it." Applejack said, leaving her opponent frustrated.

"Yeah, well how about this?" She removed a card from underneath her Frafdo, it was a grey card with a picture of some kind of gun firing a stream of water out the barrel. "By tributing his Liquilizer, he can use water attacks."

Sunset looked at Rarity, "Uh, what just happened?"

"Each creature is given a battlegear, or a weapon when the players are setting up their decks. It can increase the damage you deal or lessen the damage you take."

Rainbow played another attack card, "Rip Tide, ten damage."

"Pebblestorm, ten damage."

"Skeletal Strike, twenty damage. One more attack and I win."

AJ looked at her cards, and grimaced. "Let me guess, you don't have any attacks that can take me out?" Rainbow put her hands behind her head, "If you want to surrender now, go right ahead."

Applejack looked at the field for a bit, then paused. A smile grew on her face. "Hey, Twilight. Remember how Pinkie said there was five kinds of cards?"

"Yeah, the Creatures, Locations, Attacks, Battlegear, and... um."

"That last one is called Mugic. And it's how I'm going to win." Rainbow looked nervous, "Mugic are like magic spells that you can play on a turn as well as your attacks."

"But, only generic Mugic can be played when Runic Grove is the location!" Rainbow looked a little desperate.

"That's all I need." she drew a card who's image didn't look like anything really. It was just a pink mass of light. "Decrescendo deals five damage. And my attack is Windslash, which is another five damage, leaving you with zero energy."

Rainbow looked at Fluttershy, who had been quiet the whole time. She just looked at Rainbow Dash and shook her head. "Applejack wins."

Rainbow hung her head and held out her hand, "Good game AJ." the farm girl grabbed her hand and shook it firmly

"Hey, don't sell yourself short, Dash. You had me on the edge right up to the end."

Pinkie stood up and stretched her arms, "And that class concludes today's class of Chaotic 101. Any questions?"

"Just one," Sunset said, "Where can we get some of those cards?" Twilight nodded her head in agreement.

"Well," Rarity said, getting her friend's attention, "I do happen to know the perfect place to go shopping for all thing TCG."
= = =
"Tada! Here we are." The group had arrived in front of what looked like a house that had been turned into a store. The sign above the door just said 'GAME' in sharp, stylized letters. Inside the building were packs of trading cards of every variety; Duel Monsters, Pokemon, Bakugan, Dungeon Dice Monsters, and of course, Chaotic.

"Wow, it's like a gamer's playground in here." Twilight marveled, looking at a rack of duel disks on one of the walls.

While Rarity greeted the shopkeeper, a short old man who's spiky grey hair stuck out under his bandanna, Sunset looked at the different Chaotic Starter Packs. They seemed to come in four different colors: red, brown, yellow, and blue. She picked up a red pack, on the front was a picture of a muscular creature with horns. "Is there any difference between the colors?"

"Those colors tell you what tribe that's a Starter Pack for." Applejack explained. "There are four different tribes of Creatures in the game, and each one has different strengths and weaknesses." She picked up a yellow pack, "Mepedians, like these and Underworlders like the ones you're holding work alright on there own, but while Underworlders will charge in without a plan, Mepedians are good at sneak attacks. "She pointed at one of the brown packs "Danians work great as a group, but get them on their own and they're easy pickin's." She picked up a smaller booster pack that was blue, "Personally, I prefer Overworlders. Strong on their own and even stronger together."

The shop keeper walked over, "If you're interested in Chaotic, I have something that may interest you." He went behind the counter and pulled out a box from under it. "Behold, the Scanner."

Inside the box were several boxlike devices identical to the one Fluttershy had been holding earlier. "What are they?" Twilight asked.

"They're a tool built to help Chaotic Players keep track of their creature's stats, which can be tricky in the middle of a game. They also let you battle other players online, they have a phone attachment, as well as a camera."

"I don't know Gramps," Rainbow said, "Kind of just sounds like a simpler version of a cell phone to me."

"But, if you had one of your own, you wouldn't have to wait until Fluttershy wasn't busy so you could use hers." Applejack said.

"And you could battle anyone online, instead of just your friends." Pinkie prodded.

"Well..."

"I almost forgot." The shopkeeper said, "Each scanner comes with it's own set of Chaotic cards as well."

"Sold!" Rainbow snatched a red Scanner from the box before anyone had a chance to blink.

While her friends laughed at her antics, Rarity looked at the scanners in the box. One of them, a blue one, seemed to be beckoning to her. Without thinking about it, she too had purchased a Scanner. By the time the group had left; Applejack had two Overworld booster packs, Twilight had a Mepedian Starter box, Sunset had an Underworld Scanner and Starter box, and Pinkie had an Overworld and a Danian booster packs.

The Shopkeeper waved as the group of friends left his shop, leaving him with a great deal more money in the cash register. "Such a nice group of friends." He thought to himself, "I wonder how long it will be before one of them learns about the real Chaotic."

Author's Note:

Not much too plot related in this chapter, just getting the rules down and getting the girls into the game. Don't worry, I'll get them into Chaotic by the next chapter.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the TV show, stick around. You'll be surprised.