• Published 24th Oct 2018
  • 2,240 Views, 43 Comments

Friendship's Greatest Challenge Part 1: The Prisoner Of Azkaban - Osakayumu



Before the start of the school year at Hogwarts, several strange new names show up in the enchanted Book of Admittance. Now, Twilight and friends must navigate the unfamiliar world of wizards and witches. Will the magic of friendship be enough?

  • ...
3
 43
 2,240

Admittance and Acceptance

The light of dawn crept into the small, locked room at the top of the castle tower as the summer sun rose. Bathed in the warm sunshine, the faded Quill stirred. Rising up from a silver inkpot, it magically floated over to the book with the peeling black Dragon-hide cover and yellowing pages.

The Quill of Acceptance and Book of Admittance had long been responsible for determining who became a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, ever since they were first enchanted by the school's founders. The only unbendable parameter they had been instilled with was that only those with true magical abilities could be admitted. The rest of the "rules" they'd been given were more guidelines than anything else, a side effect of the four founders' sometimes differing views. Though primarily a school for the British Isles, they had enrolled foreigners before, for various reasons. But never before had they bent the guidelines this far, as evidenced by the Book's reluctance to open.

For many months now they had been observing a very special group of teens, four of whom were transformed beings from another world. Which, the Quill pointed out, was not against the rules as whatever magic brought them here made them fully-human. And they had enrolled students older than eleven before, as well. Still, the Book hesitated. After all, since the peculiar group of friends lived in America, should not Ilvermorny deal with them? The Quill was right though, it didn't seem like Ilvermorny was going to do anything about them at this point. Not to mention the eight girls who were born human all had at least a little European ancestry, the Quill reasoned.

The Book knew the main reason the Quill was so eager to enrol these twelve beings. They possessed a peculiar magic never before seen by the wizarding world. These girls had a knack for accomplishing the impossible, completely changing their own community in under a year. But could they help solve the wizarding world's myriad problems? The Book couldn't deny that Godric and Helga would have been all for it, while Rowena could have gone either way. Salazar, however, had been distrustful of foreigners. But, the Quill pointed out, he also had a strong desire to unlock the mysteries of unknown magics, a desire that overpowered his paranoia. This "friendship magic" certainly qualified. The Book could sense the alien magic spreading further and further from the Equestrian Portal. It would only be a matter of time before it reached their shores.

Both Book and Quill could feel the ripples in the very fabric of magic itself, and today those ripples were intensifying. A convict had just escaped Azkaban, a feat that had never before been accomplished. The Dark Lord was gaining strength in Albania, and the Imperius curse placed on one of his most loyal followers was beginning to weaken. Suddenly, they detected a new presence in Great Britain: another being with the alien magic, but they felt malevolence emanating from this entity. Great turmoil was coming. The last day of the year that invitation letters could be sent had arrived: it was now or never. The Quill waited patiently, as it always did when the Book struggled to make a decision. At long last the Book slowly opened, finally allowing the Quill to write the names it had been wanting to write for weeks:

Princess Twilight Sparkle
Spike Sparkle
Sunset Shimmer
Starlight Glimmer
Applejack Smith
Applebloom Smith
Fluttershy
Rarity Belle
Sweetie Belle
Rainbow Dash
Scootaloo
Pinkamena Diane Pie

* * * * *

Many miles away, a cloud-like being floated amidst the crashing waves of Dunmore Head, the westmost point of Ireland. Its smoky blue eyes scanned the rocky shore. Satisfied that it was alone, the entity proceeded to glide out of the water and up the rocky beach.

Pausing next to the rusted remains of an old container ship, Erebus closed his smoky blue eyes and reached out with his senses. He knew that what, or rather who, he was looking for dwelt somewhere on this island. Erebus could sense Sendak the Elder was here, but for some reason he couldn't pinpoint the Centaur's precise location. Whatever magic Sendak was using to hide was most likely disrupting the smoke demon's senses. If he were as strong as he once was, Erebus would have easily been able to break through the centaur's disruption, but Celestia had stripped him of that power long ago.

Erebus was not looking forward to manually scouring this relatively large island, but he reminded himself that the end results would be worth it. Sendak was too great a threat to be ignored, not to mention the fact that consuming the shadows of this world's beings would gain Erebus very little until the elder Centaur's damage was undone; and the only way to do that was to kill him. Or convince him to give back the magic he'd stolen, but Erebus much preferred the former option.

At least most of this island was open space so the search might not be too tedious, Erebus mused. It was probably for the best that Lavan was back in Equestria rather than with him here. His brother never had been the patient type. Stealth was another thing Lavan had issues with, and that was vital to Erebus' success. He knew there were other Equestrians inhabiting this world and did not want to attract their attention. At least not yet. Yes, Lavan was much better off using the remote volcanoes and geysers of the Dragonlands to regain the strength Luna had robbed him of all those years ago.

Erebus crossed the sparsely used road to begin his search for the wayward Centaur. The next time he and Lavan met the Alicorns things would be different. This time he and his brother would have the knowledge and experience of the many planets and moons visited during his sojourn. They would not be so short sighted this time. Now they knew that the only way to ensure no unforeseen enemies came out of nowhere to vanquish them again was to conquer the entire Universe.

*****

"Welcome to Earth Ponies-turned-Humans who look and act eerily like us and share our names!" Pinkie Pie stuffed ten noisemakers into her mouth and blew, as streamers seemed to somehow fall from the sky.

"They've already been here for a few hours, Pinkie."

"I know that, Dashie. But I didn't have everything ready yet. And I mean how could I have, when nobody told me that we were having visitors today?" Pinkie pretended to glare at the Twilight Sparkle that wasn't wearing glasses.

"I could have sworn I'd sent a message through the journal," the Princess said sheepishly. She knew she should have heeded Spike's suggestion to write it down before starting (and finishing) the new Daring Do book.

Twilight and friends--both sets, human and pony--were gathered around the portal statue. Princess Twilight had always wanted her friends from both worlds to meet, but finding a time when everyone was free had been a challenge. Twilight smiled as she surveyed her mingling friends. The humans were enthralled by the tales that their pony counterparts had to tell, and the ponies were amazed by the humans' technology.

"...and when we stopped glowing we finally had our cutie marks!" finished pony Applebloom. Their human counterparts were in awe.

"I wish we could get cutie marks too," sighed human Sweetie Belle. "It must be so much easier to figure out what to do with your life when you have a magic tattoo that shows you what you're good at."

Pony Sweetie chuckled. "I think you've misunderstood. Cutie marks only reaffirm what you've already realized, not tell you what to do."

"Still, it would be nice to..." Human Applebloom paused, then smiled wide. "I just got a great idea girls! We're gonna-"

Suddenly an owl swooped past her head, startling her. It proceeded to catch the whole group's attention before perching on the statue.

"What's an owl doing flying around during the day?" Human Rainbow remarked.

"There actually are some owl species that are active during the day, but this isn't one of them," stated human Fluttershy, who then approached it. "Hello there Barn owl, what are you doing up so early?"

The Barn owl let out a small screech and started flying again. "She wants us to follow her."

The group proceeded to do just that, following the owl as it flew into the school building, much to their surprise. It flew down the hall and into the music room.

"Mrs. Barn owl, animals aren't allowed in the school building," Fluttershy said worryingly.

"It's all right Miss Shy," came the familiar voice of Principle Celestia from inside the room. "This owl is here with a special guest who wishes to speak with you all."

Slightly confused, the girls entered the room to see Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna sitting on either side of an old man wearing strange clothes. The man stood up with surprisingly youthful swiftness, smiling with deep blue eyes behind half-moon glasses.

"I see we have quite the group here. Greetings all! My name is Albus Dumbledore, and we have much to discuss."

Comments ( 43 )

Well, I'm a sucker for HP/MLP stories (especially if they don't devolve into bashing) so I'll definitely give this a follow to see where it goes.

So far I'm kind of confused on who is actually going to Hogwarts I'd assume the EQG characters but then you have the pony counterparts there as well. I also can't determine when this takes place in the EQG timeline. I'd assume before Sci-Twi showed up since her name wasn't on the list but Starlight is around so it's a little unclear.

Umm OK Friendship Games takes place at the same time as the Cutie Re-Mark, and Sci-Twi had already transfered to Canterlot when Starlight and Sunset meet so Sci-Twi and dog Spike should be in the group. So who is going? Only 4 out of the 24 people there don't share the exact name with someone else (Sunset and Starlight don't have doubles, and one twilight has a title)

9249229
Thank you for the feedback!
Also, "Pinkie pretended to glare at the Twilight Sparkle that wasn't wearing glasses."

9249409
They are in the group. They're just not going.

I've seen a few Harry Potter crossovers in my time, and this one definitely seems like it's worth my time.

So, is Spike the Dragon a human or dog?

Mmm Good start

9249843
Wait and see ;)

You get a follow and a like just Becuase:pinkiecrazy:

Loved those undertale stories. Eagerly awaiting an update for this story.

Looking forward to reading this. I've seen a lot of stories like this, but they all died at one point or another, I'm hoping this one doesn't.

9302754
I can guarantee this story won't die. It could take a long time, but it will be finished eventually.

I've honestly read worse and as far as Harry Potter crossovers go this is a solid entry.:eeyup:
I'm looking forward for more chapters!:pinkiehappy:

Damn this is a good story, I can't wait to see how everything turns out, so are both sets of Mane 6 going to Hogwarts or what, also why would Princess Twilight and Sunset go there, after all they can use their magic easily and why should they bother to go to a magic school, not to mention what will happen when the Cutie Map needs them.

I eagerly await updates.


As a note, I love the spin you put on the lore, more specifically the founders, mentioning Ilvermony, and the Book and Quill.

Fantastic, that was.

9548719
It won't be both sets, that would get confusing. Twilight and Sunset are adept at Pony magic, not Human magic.

9647727
Thanks so much!

Well this is intriguing. Bit disappointed you're cutting Sci-Twi out of Hogwarts as having the pair of doppelgängers running round could be a lot of fun. Heck, since you've gathered both the mane six and the human seven together as well as both sets of the CMC it could be a recipe for a great big old storm of chaos!lot of fun. But I suppose it would be difficult to differentiate. Maybe she'll be running a more scientific side show? Researching magic through correspondence and her own discreet observation, playing with merging it with technology? Can't wait to find out exactly what you have in store with such a well written opening.

Also that cover art... Pinkie Pie has a green tie... makes me wonder, will she somehow convince the Sorting hat to put her in Slytherin? Not because she necessarily belongs there but because she feels she's needed there most? A lot of frowns to turn upside down after all! :pinkiehappy:

9665669

Sci-Twi will have plenty to do. After all, someone has to "hold down the fort" at home. Not to mention monitoring the magic that keeps leaking in from Equestria.

Not because she necessarily belongs there but because she feels she's needed there most? A lot of frowns to turn upside down after all! :pinkiehappy:

It's like you read my mind :pinkiegasp:

9688753 Defiantly need to give them a means to communicate then I think. Maybe another pair of diaries?
Hum... that just sparked an idea. Might make for a fun intermission side story at some point but what if the mane six - the ponies that is besides Princes Twi - took up the lives/roles of their human counterparts while they're away? Since you've gone to the trouble of introducing them and all.

Sorry, you got me brain storming now. Probably doesn't help I'm juggling a few story idea of my own for both MLP and HP. Though no crossovers between the two yet thankfuly. :twilightblush:

9689581
Thank you for the journal idea!

9689581
You know, I could use some help writing this, especially since I'm not much of a writer.

9650273

Also what is going to happen to Harry now that the Ponies are coming?

9665669
It would be interesting to see both sets of the mane 6 there.

This looks pretty good.

9829988
It would also be convoluted and confusing.

ETA on chapter 2?

9840505
I'm working on it.

Not bad. I like harry Potter as well. Though it did have a bit to much summarizing at the beginning for my taste. Still, I'm interested. Hope you will make more.

Continue and update please soon.

I am assuming that all of them are 11? Great.

10433633
Nope. They're not going as first years.

10433973
Is this even going to continue?

is it possible to correct the links given, so we can get direct access to the stories?

11038246
The links are working for me.

uis

four of whom were transformed beings from another world

Twilight, Sunset, Starlight and Pinkie? Full set.

Not to mention the eight girls who were born human

5+CMCs?

Princess Twilight Sparkle
Spike Sparkle
Sunset Shimmer
Starlight Glimmer
Applejack Smith
Applebloom Smith
Fluttershy
Rarity Belle
Sweetie Belle
Rainbow Dash
Scootaloo
Pinkamena Diane Pie

No Sci-Twi? Why? It would be better to enroll two Pinkies and two Twilights. Well, nothing can stop Sci-Twi. Or maybe she will just go to Equestria and practice magic there.

Comment posted by uis deleted Aug 13th, 2022
uis

9650273
I think not only equestrians go to school.
Equestrian Applejack isn't Smith. Same for Apple Bloom and Applebloom Smith.

I wanna see two Pinkes! That would be AWESOME!:rainbowdetermined2:
Weasley twins are enough, one Pinkie - a lot, Pinkie and RD - much more, two Pinkies (and RD) - "hold your sanity", two Pinkies and two RDs is "Hold your walls. And floor. Ceiling try too, but it's too late."
Also behold, Golden Trio, CMCs are coming! With their doubles.

Sounds like average Discord's tea party. Or average tuesday at Hogwarts.

uis

10433973
CMCs to Harry's year. Third?
Girls to 5-7.

uis

9665669

Not because she necessarily belongs there but because she feels she's needed there most? A lot of frowns to turn upside down after all! :pinkiehappy:

Based on where they needed most:
Pinkie - S (fun)
Twi+Spike - Every
Rainbow Dash - R (sport)
Rarity - G (personally for Ron)
Applejack - R/H (sport)
Fluttershy - G/S (teach them kindness)
CMCs - R/S (friendship, communication)

Login or register to comment