• Published 17th Jan 2018
  • 1,831 Views, 162 Comments

The Hotel - Skijarama



"How long have I been here? How long have I been here with everything I need to survive... and despised every waking moment of it? How long have I lived in this hotel with no way out?"

  • ...
3
 162
 1,831

First Night

Twilight eyed the door of room Three One Seven hesitantly, one hoof resting on the handle with an uneasy and hesitant look on her face. It had been maybe an hour since she had recounted her story at the campfire in the water park, and after that, Sweet Breeze had busted out a bag of marshmallows and some improvised sticks. Nopony had expected this, but nopony, even Rust Bucket, complained. Even Kale Sow had taken part in the surprise dessert, though as always, her expression had remained solemn and reserved, and her input to any and all conversation had remained minimal at most. The group had then started chatting amongst themselves idly, mostly answering some more of Twilight’s questions about The Hotel and what they knew about it, which was admittedly not a lot. They also spent some time recounting some of the events that had transpired during their time here, but Twilight found herself unable to really retain a good recollection of the stories due to numerous things. Between how tired she was and the fact that she was still trying to really wrap her head around everything that had happened in the last seven hours, she eventually excused herself from the campfire and made her way back to the room she had woken up in.

She had taken her time on the way over, just taking in her new surroundings and contemplating them. Now that she really took the time, she realized that the place was absolutely gorgeous. She remembered thinking that Rarity would absolutely love the designs of the place, even if she would likely be repulsed by the fact that it was more or less a prison.

Now, though, she looked at the door leading to the room she had awoken in, biting her lower lip and shifting her hooves occasionally with deep-seeded discomfort. She really didn’t want to sleep in that bed; all of her instincts and every one of the neurons in her brain were shouting at her to try the front door again, or look for another way out; but everypony had already made it perfectly clear that there were no ways out that were within her immediate power to find. She sighed and gently turned the handle of her door, pushing it open, while mentally resolving that she wouldn’t give up. She’d go back to the library tomorrow and do some research, try to learn new spells, maybe something to help her learn more about this place, if nothing else. The door creaked softly as it swung out of her way, revealing that the room on the other side was just as she had left it, save for being smothered in a thick darkness due to the hour and lack of illumination from beyond the window. With a quick flick of her magic, Twilight hit the light switch, and the room was illuminated by warm, golden light from the chandelier over the bed.

“Excuse me.”

“GYAH!” Twilight jumped in surprise as the voice of Kale Sow spoke up from directly next to her. She turned and groaned at the green mare. “Kale! Ugh, don’t do that! You almost gave me a heart attack!”

Kale shrugged absently. “That’s nothing new, really.”

Twilight tilted her head. “Wait… what?”

“Forget it. Look, I want to talk to you before you go to bed,” Kale said simply, putting on a firm frown. Twilight paused and studied Kale critically. She seemed to be determined like she had a goal and was determined to see it through… a near one-eighty shift in demeanor from the almost silent, brooding green pony on the other side of the campfire.

“Uh, what about?” Twilight asked curiously all the same, not one to dismiss the approach.

Kale lowered her eyes and sighed. “Look… Twilight, right?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Okay, Twilight…” Kale ran a hoof over her face in mild frustration, as if he was having a hard time getting her thoughts in order. “...You… I… ugh, it’s been so long since I really tried to talk to somepony like this...”

Twilight’s ears lowered a bit, and her eyes shined with sympathy. “Take as long as you need. I’m listening.”

Kale grimaced before standing upright. “...They’re right, you know. About me almost never showing my face… I don’t want you to think that they’re playing it up, or exaggerating it for some reason. They’re not. And…” she looked away and leaned against the frame of the door. “...That is one of the things I’m most ashamed of about my time here. Rust Bucket… Sweet Breeze… All of them… I’ve hidden away from them, tried to forget they exist, tried to make them forget that I exist...”

Twilight noticed that Kale was starting to tremble, just slightly, and went to interrupt her, but Kale kept going.

“We’re all stuck here. We’re never going to get out, I know that now… a big part of why I’m so secluded is that… for a long time… I didn’t believe that” she looked into Twilight’s eyes again. “It does damage, Twilight. Telling myself that I could get out someday broke me in more ways than I ever tried to count… Every day, I woke up and told myself ‘just one more look. I’ll find something.’ I’d go and I’d look for a way out, a way home, and every single time, I came up empty-hooved. Those repeated failures… like I said, they broke me.

“And so, after Rust Bucket showed up and we got to know each other a little... I hid. I locked myself away and didn’t show my face for long stretches. And my hiding left a bitter taste in the mouths of everypony else that has come here. The few times I came out of my room to eat or stretch my legs, they only saw a broken, somber and reclusive mare who had no hope, and no passion left in her soul…” Kale slowly reached a hoof up to her chest and took a deep breath. “And while they are absolutely right, that does not mean that it’s fair of me to make their time here worse by… being so…” she shook her head and put her hoof back on the ground. “...by being Kale Sow, the three hundred year old recluse who hides away in room Three Fifteen.”

Twilight blinked and shifted a little uneasily, not quite sure what to make of Kale Sow’s long-winded exposition. She looked down a little before speaking. “Not to be rude, but why are you telling me this?”

Kale didn’t answer straight away, instead stepping around Twilight and stopping by her side. “I went to the assembly at that campfire tonight because… for once… just for one stupid time… I didn’t want to leave the new pony with a rotten taste in their mouth every time they saw me… So I showed up, I participated… and I’m going to tell you this right now,” she looked sideways at Twilight and, for the first time since they had met, a small ghost of a smile appeared on Kale Sow’s face. “The others that we’re trapped with? They’re good ponies… Let them make your time here worth something, okay?”

“What about you?” Twilight asked, shifting to look into Kale’s eyes directly. “Why don’t you let them in? I mean, it sounds like you could really use a few friends… but you’re shutting them out.”

Kale sighed and shook her head. “...I’d love to, really… But I don’t think that’s a good idea… I… Don’t want to get into it.”

Twilight shifted slightly, contemplating the other mare’s words. Eventually, though, she put on a small smile of her own and gave a slow nod. “Alright. I’ll keep your advice in mind, Kale. I still plan on looking for a way out, but if I can’t… well, I’ll make the most of it.”

Kale’s smile returned, though smaller than before. “Heh… I figured you’d say that. Optimistic on arrival…” she turned and resumed her journey down the hall to her room. “Just be careful what you’re optimistic about, alright?”

Twilight said nothing, simply watching as Kale trotted away down the hall. Then, with her thoughts swimming, she stepped into her own room and closed the door behind her. For several seconds, she just inspected her surroundings, not entirely sure if she wanted to go to bed just yet. After all, Kale’s little ‘confession’ had left her mind far more active then before. Her eyes settled on the desk, and a thought occurred to her. She made her way over and began to pull open the drawers with her magic. A happy ‘aha!’ escaped her mouth when she found a small stack of parchment situated next to an inkwell and quill contained within.

Eager at the possibility that sending a message to Spike might be able to bypass this Hotel’s walls due to just how unconventional and customized of a spell as it was, she quickly set about writing down a message.

Spike,

It’s me, Twilight. I’m writing you to let you know that I’m okay. I don’t know if this letter will actually be able to get to you, though. I’m trapped inside of some kind of magical Hotel, and it seems to exist in it’s own little pocket dimension. I don’t know what this place is or why it exists at all, but I plan on figuring it out and getting home to you as soon as I possibly can.

How are the girls? Are they doing alright? I know that the last time I saw them they looked like they were scared and shocked by what the Elements were doing. Let them know I’m not hurt, okay?

I’ll write again soon; assuming this letter actually reaches you. I don’t know for sure if it will, again, due to the fact that there doesn’t seem to be a conventional way in or out of this Hotel. We’ll see, I suppose… if it does reach you, though, write me back, okay?

Yours,
Twilight Sparkle.

She scrutinized the letter one more time to ensure it said what she wanted it to say, then rolled it up into a scroll before lifted it up and put the sending spell into motion. The scroll was smothered in grey smoke and green sparks and, for several seconds, Twilight’s eyes lit up with the hope that it would actually send.

Then the smoke and sparks faded away, and the scroll dropped back down onto the desk, unsent and now slightly charred. Twilight looked on at the scroll for several moments, and a heavy sigh escaped her lips. “Of course not…” she muttered before rising from her chair and turning around for the bed.

She almost jumped out of her skin for the second time when she saw somepony else standing there, a stallion. He was a pale brown color with a messy, dirty blond mane that hung in messy spikes in front of his narrow, grayish-blue eyes. A small smile appeared on his face, his eyes narrowed just slightly with scrutiny.

“Wha… who are you?” Twilight asked, still shocked by the new face. He didn’t answer, simply leaning back and grinning at her with eyes that shimmered with a cool, calculating curiosity.

Twilight blinked.

And the stallion was gone.

“Huh?” Twilight blinked again, then looked around her room in confusion, looking for the mysterious pony. But he was gone, vanished from sight. An uncomfortable chill ran up and down her spine, making her coat stand on end. The look he had been giving her… it was chilling, now that she imagined it again. “Who… was that?” Twilight parroted her earlier question, her mind now reeling with new questions. However, when nothing presented itself for several seconds, Twilight eventually conceded that whoever she had seen was not coming back.

With a slight tremor in her steps, Twilight trotted over to the bed and pulled the blankets back before sitting on the mattress. She looked around for several minutes, just thinking about her situation, the ponies she was trapped with and, above all, her friends…

“Girls…” she whispered, reaching a hoof up to her chest. “Spike… Princess Celestia…” a few tears began to well up in her eyes. Already… already she missed them. The last looks on their faces before she had appeared in that strange void with Princess Celestia… she so badly wanted to go to them, to tell them that she was okay, that they could go back to life as normal. But as of now, there was no way for her to do that...

Wiping one of her forehooves over her eyes to get rid of the tears, Twilight settled under the covers and turned off the lights with a quick burst of her magic, plunging the room into near-perfect darkness. She sniffled, closed her eyes and tried to relax.

It didn’t come easy, but eventually, sleep came to her. Her dreams, sadly, were just as empty as the void outside the Hotel...