• Published 20th Mar 2018
  • 12,328 Views, 770 Comments

Divine Intervention - Orthoros



Over a thousand years after Atlas went out on his secret mission, the time for the conclusion finally draws near. The revolution of the gods is reaching it's climax, but Atlas faces a new problem that might doom the ponies of Equestria!

  • ...
20
 770
 12,328

2. Curtains (April Fools ending)

Celestia tensely glanced between Atlas and Discord, who were staring each other down with an odd look in their eyes. Atlas did probably not know yet that Discord had been reformed, so some kind of hostility on his part was to be expected, what confused her, though, was the fact that Discord seemed to know who Atlas was as well. No matter what the reason for their standoff was, Celestia felt the urgent need to step in and clarify some things for her father, before things started to escalate.

“Dear father, do not feel threatened by Discords presence here,” Celestia spoke up, grabbing everyponies attention. “He has been reformed and has sworn off from his evil ways, thanks to Twilight and her friends.”

“I know,” Atlas relied casually, much to Celestias confusion.

“Oh, who would have thought I’d seen the day,” Discord said, slowly floating to the ground. “Where Celestia is at a loss for words and is constantly being outplayed by one that is even better at the game of deception she oh so likes to play.”

“I’ve had more practice than her,” Atlas said. “I also know her pretty well, considering I’ve raised her. She’s like an open book to me.”

“Is that so…” Discord said, biting his lower lip.

“Don’t act like you haven’t been leading her on ever since you got released from stone,” Atlas said. “You might be the best at deception of all of us in this room.”

“I assure you, Discord has been completely reformed and has even helped to save Equestria recently,” Celestia commented, in an attempt to mediate between the two. She wasn’t sure what she was supposed to mediate, but she tried anyway. “He’s good friends with Fluttershy, and has been on his best behaviour… well, mostly.”

“Not exactly what I’m talking about, Celestia,” Atlas replied, not taking his eyes off Discord. “Now tell me, Mad King. Am I talking to the act, or am I talking to Discord?”

“I’d say a little bit of both,” Discord replied, his body coiling on the floor like a snake, until only his neck and head were sticking out of the pile. “Keepin up an act for a long time can cause the boundaries to blur, you know.”

“I understand perfectly well,” Atlas nodded. “Now then, Celestia. Luna. I think it’s time for you to lean about one more of the secrets I’ve kept from you.”

“Do you think he’s keeping a lot of secrets from even the princesses?” Rarity whispered towards Twilight, who was following the exchange with apathetic curiosity.

“Judging by their reactions,” Twilight replied while observing Celestia and Lunas facial expressions. They seemed to be interested, yet annoyed at the same time, as if this was a common occurance when dealing with their father. “I’d say, yes, definitely.”
“Element Bearers, this doesn’t concern you directly, but since it will probably clear up some things, I’ll allow you to listen in on this as well,” Atlas stated. “My dear daughters, do you remember the conversation we had before I left?”

Both princesses gave their consent, since they still clearly remembered the day they parted. A lot of important things were said in the week leading up to the event, and manyimportant hints dropped, that helped both of them through the ages, they couldn’t forget it that easily.

“I told you about how I’ve been playing a something akin to a game of chess, by moving pieces as I thought right, to manipulate the board in my, or rather, our favor,” Atlas said. “This might come as somewhat of a surprise and shock, but Discord here,” Discord gave a little wave, “was one of my pieces as well.”

“What does that mean, exactly?” Luna asked slowly after a few second of tense silence.

“It means probably exactly what you think it means,” Atlas said, bracing himself for the inevitable outrage. “The one who unleashed Discord upon Equestria was none other than me.”

“What?” Celestia whispered, a look of betrayal in her eyes.

Luna simply looked at her father as if he had grown a second head, her mouth slightly agape, while Twilight let out an audible gasp,which was mirrored by her firends. Something seemed to have changed about Atlas’ posture, although she couldn’t pinpoint what it was exactly. The fact that Discord was grinning like a madpony didn’t sit well with anypone either.

“It’s finally time to reveal what I’ve been doing and why I could never tell you before,” Atlas grinned, causing Luna to take a worried step away from her father. “I needed you two to become alicorns and make an Equestria a country thriving with magic, so I could ultimately usurp the whole thing, drying it empty of any and all magic. I’m sorry, but that’s the only way to power the spell I’ve been developing.”

“You… You can’t be serious!” Celestia cried out loudly while every guard along the walls assumed defensive positions.

“Father..?” Luna pleaded silently.

“I hate to break it to you, my dear princesses,” Discord said, coiling himself around Celestia and booping her nose. “But I’m afraid you’ve been played. And dare I say? YOu lost spectacularly!”

“Come Discord, it’s time for us to go, we don’t have any time to lose!” Atlas said, gettin up from the floor and dusting off his coat.

Discord teleported over to Atlas, but when he reappeared he had shrunk down considerable, almost looking like a young child that sat on Atlas back, similiar to how Spike would ride on Twilight. “It was a pleasure doing business with you,” Atlas said, making a deep bow.

“And thanks for all the fish!” Discord called out, instants before they both vanished in a bright flash, their manic laughter ringing in everyponies ears for a few more seconds.

Everypony in the room seemed to have frozen on the spot, staring at where the apparently criminal duo just stood. Luna had a thousand yard stare, a few tears already building up in her eyes, while Twilight and her friends, who already had problems keeping up before this, sat there slackjawed. Celestia blnkeda few times, a sinking feeling in her stomach before her thousand years as Equestrias lone princess caught up to her. It pianed her almost more than when Luna had turned into nightmare moon, but if nothing was done right now, Equestria would definitely fall.

“Guards!” Celestia barked, causing movements to explode around the whole room. “Atlas has turned against Equestria and our sole focus should be on stopping him as fast as possible. He is possible the most powerfu mage on the entire planet and he is supported by Discord, so taking them down will not be easy, if not, almost impossible. I want every guard to be mobilized immediately and his hideout to be found post haste. Knowing him, it will be protected by a plethora of wards, so send out scout parties with mages that can recognize them.

“Call a meeting between the highest ranking officers, I will recall Shining Armor and Princess Cadence as soon as I can. We’re going to need absolutely everypony that is willing to help, so go and draft as many as you can. Twilight,” Celestia smiled down at her former student. “I’m afraid Equestria will have to rely on you and your friends once more.”

“I don’t really get what is going on,” Twilight replied. “But you can count on us! Right girls?”

Twilight and her friends all gave their consent, all of them in various states of confusion, but still willing to help. “Then, guards! Move out!”

Celestia watched with trepidation as her guards ran out of the throne room at a break-neck pace, an uneasy feeling in her stomach. Atlas had always been an incredibly capable combat mage, and now that he had over a thousand years of constantly using his magic backing him up, his mana pool must have grown to unfathomable size, which would allow him to unleash devastating spells.

She still couldn't quite believe that her father would just do this, but if he was working together with Discord, anything was possible. Luna seemed to be in a similar position. She seemed to have entered an almost cathartic state, staring at where her father had just disappeared from. One way or the other, they had a trying time ahead of them, one, where Celestia wasn't too sure if they'd come out unscathed.

Author's Note:

So yes, this is defnitely an aprils fools chapter, as most of you have figured out already. After sparing you guys the last two times, I decided to do something small this time. Didn't want to at first, but after being fooled like five times on reddit, I thought I'd make you suffer with me and threw some last minute bs together and made sure there's more than enough hints at the fact that it's an april fools chapter. Like the fact that it's not edited and it didn't release around my wednesday window.

Once again, thanks to my editors ScootalooFTW and Alcatraz, as well as my proofreaders Kilobytes and Soren Mercer.

Today's chapter was brought to you by this song.

Come join us in the Discord channel! Lonk

Or the official Divine Entertainment group! Divine Universe