• Published 20th Mar 2018
  • 12,355 Views, 770 Comments

Divine Intervention - Orthoros



Over a thousand years after Atlas went out on his secret mission, the time for the conclusion finally draws near. The revolution of the gods is reaching it's climax, but Atlas faces a new problem that might doom the ponies of Equestria!

  • ...
20
 770
 12,355

12. Twilight Of The Thunder God

Zeus found himself hurtling through the air, away from the merry party he was at mere moments ago. His wine addled brain hadn’t quite caught up to his current situation yet, so he wasn’t quite prepared to cushion his inevitable fall. He hit the ground hard, ragdolling over an impressive distance before eventually slamming into a marble pillar of a building, leaving him sitting upright with his back against it.

The body of a god was naturally resilient, but even Zeus would feel some degree of pain after being thrown about so violently. He blinked a few times to clear his head, rubbing a few aching spots on his body while he processed the current situation. Even though he was drunk, he was still able to at least think straight, even if it was slightly delayed.

One moment he was enjoying himself with all of his friends, and the next, an explosion sent him flying through the air. There was only one reasonable explanation, which was that Hades and his posse were attacking sooner than anticipated. A sobering thought to say the least. Realising the need for immediate action, Zeus made to get up and back to the party grounds in order to organize a counter-strike, no matter how unorganized. Time was of the essence now.

He didn’t get very far, as an invisible force slammed into his face, effectively burying his head into the pillar behind him. Before he could react to the unexpected assault, a second hit connected with his gut, sending the rest of his body clean through the pillar and embedding him into the wall behind it.

Not wanting to give his assailant another chance, Zeus sent out a pulse of lightning all around him. To his satisfaction, he could feel a disturbance in the force right in front of him, confirming that he had hit whoever was assailing him currently.

“I must say,” Zeus grunted as he extracted himself from the wall, causing pebbles to rain down to the ground around him. “I truly didn’t expect this to go down this way… Hades.”

“I was counting on it,” Hades replied breathing heavily. He removed his helmet so he could talk properly to Zeus. “You always were overconfident, and now your high horse came back to kick you in the ass. As we speak, your entire faction is being suppressed, and seeing how out of control your party was, I’d say they didn’t stand a chance and are already mostly taken out by now.”

“That’s a shame,” Zeus patted himself down to get rid of some marble residue. “I was hoping to crush your little resistance with overwhelming power. But I must admit that you’ve outsmarted me in this instance. You were always the better tactician.”

“I’ll take that compliment for what it is,” Hades nodded. “I’d really prefer it if you would just give up, but I assume that this is too much to ask?”

“It certainly is,” Zeus sighed. “I may be cornered, but I’m not going down without a fight. Besides, you made one crucial mistake in your planning.”

“And what would that be?”

“Even if you take out all of my supporters, even if I’m the last one standing… Once I take you out, the rest of the other gods will be a piece of cake to defeat,” Zeus smirked. “And to be honest? I don’t think that’ll be so difficult.”

“I see,” Hades let out a guttural laugh. “It seems we think we are more alike than I thought. It just so happens that I was thinking the same thing. Taking you out…” Hades put his helmet back on, once again turning invisible. “Shouldn’t be too hard.”

A split second later lightning struck the ground where Hades disappeared, the following thunder working as the bell announcing the fights official start. Zeus realised too late that Hades had already moved, his mistake costing him dearly, as he was struck again, crashing through the wall he just extracted himself from.


Atlas’ hooves clacked as he walked over the obsidian platform he made to hold the array. Luna was slightly off to his side, doing the same thing as he did, which was checking the embedded runes for any discrepancies. The sun was shining down on them as they diligently worked. Luna was really the only pony who could possibly help him out with this task, and ever since Atlas delegated most of his more simple tasks to the mages of Equestria, there was little else than two had been doing ever since.

Setting up an array of this size was a monumental task, and they couldn’t afford to make a single mistake. Not to mention the fact that they had been teleporting all over Equestria to set up the relay arrays as well. They were mostly controlled and managed by a small horde of Discord clones, but his knowledge on runes was still far below Atlas’ and Luna’s.

They had been slaving away for days, albeit making sure to take frequent breaks. They couldn’t risk making careless mistakes due to being sleep-deprived, and as such slept for five hours each day, although not at the same time. They mitigated any leftover sleepiness with reinvigorating spells from Atlas’ arsenal, which allowed them to work tirelessly.

Only three days remained until the deadline.

Ponies and other creatures arrived in Ponyville from all over Equestria. The small town had become a huge center of activity over the past few days. Unable to accomodate all of the visitors, the outskirts were filled with tents.

Being able to provide enough food for this many ponies was nothing short of a miracle, only made possible by the crown splurging on their budget. Celestia had done some incredible work organizing this whole mess, and without her handling the logistics, giving Atlas some peace of mind, they would never even had made it this far.

“Dad?” Luna suddenly called, ripping Atlas’ from his thoughts. “Can you come over here for a second and check this part?”

“Sure thing,” Atlas made his way over to his daughter, finding her thoughtfully looking down at a set of runes. “What is it?”

“This sequence here seems a bit… off… to me,” Luna said. “I can’t really put my hoof on why that is though.”

“Let me take a look…” Atlas peered down at the offending carvings and studied them intently. “Hmm… they look okay to me.”

“Are you sure?” Luna asked insistently. “It still seems weird to me…”

Atlas took a glance at his daughter with suspicious eyes, something was wrong. “Luna?” he asked like a father who knew his child was up to no good. “When was the last time you slept?”

Luna’s eyes widened a bit and she made it a point not to look at Atlas. She mumbled something incoherent, which caused Atlas to groan. “How long, Luna?”

“About twenty-six hours ago…” Luna said, shrinking into herself a bit.

“I thought I made it clear that we have to get enough sleep,” Atlas said with a sigh. “You’re of no use to anypony if you start seeing things that aren’t there.”

“But, father,” Luna pleaded. “I have stayed up before for several days without any issues whatsoever, why would this be different?”

“Look, making rune arrays is something that doesn’t allow for mistakes. I know that you know that,” a slight annoyance crept into Atlas’ voice. “Doing what we are doing right now is extremely taxing on the mind, and if you don’t take some rest at regular intervals you’ll start to make mistakes. I’ve told you this like five times already since we started.”

“But there is just so little time left…” Luna pawed at the obsidian beneath her.

“I know you only have the best intentions in mind,” Atlas pulled her into a hug. “But you have to understand what I’m telling you. Also, you’re going to sleep, now. No ifs or buts, this is happening.”

“Auntie Luna!” A call from the castle’s direction disturbed the little moment they had.

“You’re not off the hook for this,” Atlas said as he released her, facing the speaker, which turned out to be a pink alicorn with a multi-hued mane, accompanied by a white stallion sporting a blue mane.

“Cadance, Shining Armor,” Luna called back as they approached, inadvertently introducing them to Atlas. “Such a pleasure to see you.

“It’s a pleasure to be here, even if it is due to some rather dire circumstances…” Cadance replied. “You must be Atlas then? I’ve heard so much about you already.” She turned towards Atlas with an extended hoof.

“Only good I hope…” Atlas bumped her hoof in greeting and repeated the motion for Shining Armor.

“Let’s just say it was rather mixed,” Cadance chuckled. “Though I must admit that I was rather surprised that Celestia and Luna’s father just suddenly showed up out of nowhere. The fact that you’re not an alicorn makes the circumstances of your long life very intriguing.”

“I may not be an alicorn, but at this point it would be crude to say that I’m just a simple unicorn,” Atlas nodded. “There are reasons for the way I am, but I’m not about to disclose them to just anybody.”

“It’s true,” Luna grumbled. “Not even my sister and I know the full truth.”

“There is only one being who knows the full truth about who and what I am, and I intend to keep it that way,” Atlas noted.

“There is? I just assumed you’d take that secret to your unlikely grave,” Luna questioned with a raised eyebrow. “Dare I ask who it is?”

“Discord, of course,” Atlas smiled. “I feel I’m somewhat responsible for the way he… is…”

“Ah yes, another revelation that no one saw coming,” Shining Armor chipped in. “Learning that he was never really evil and was just putting on an act as dictated by you… was a rather hard pill to swallow.”

“I had my reasons, and it all turned out for the best in the end…”

“It would seem like Celestia is taking after her father,” Cadance rolled her eyes. “Just as mysterious and unwilling to share vital information as her, if not worse, if I heard correctly.”

“Sometimes it is better to not know certain things,” Atlas said with finality. “Lord knows I certainly could do without some of the knowledge I’ve accrued.”

“Why yes, if leading the Crystal Empire has taught me anything, it’s that not everything should be shared,” Cadance looked thoughtful. “I do hope you’ll at least reveal to us why you have summoned us to Ponyville, I hope?”

“I’m sure that could be arranged,” Atlas smirked. “Although I’d suggest we discuss this over some tea and snacks, instead of standing out here in the open, what do you say?”

“That would be wonderful,” Cadance nodded. “Why don’t you lead the way?”

Cadance stepped to the side in order to let Atlas through, which the gray stallion immediately did, Luna trailing not far behind. It didn’t take long for them to arrive in the castle, where they decided to occupy one of the many meeting rooms that were available. Before entering, they tasked one of the maids to bring them the aforementioned refreshments. They sat down at the table, Atlas and Luna on one side, and Cadance and Shining Armor on the other.

“It sure seems weird to see Twily’s castle this bustling with activity…” Shining Armor commented. “I’ve gotten used to how empty it is usually.”

“I’m surprised this hasn’t happened sooner,” Cadance nodded. “She is a princess after all.”

“Young Twilight has refused to employ the aid of other ponies until recently. She only agreed to it due to the somewhat dire circumstances this time around, and only as a temporary measure,” Luna commented.

“It sure is growing on her though,” Atlas chuckled. “She might just keep them after this whole debacle is over.”

A knock announced the return of the maid, which brought them their requested drinks and foods. She efficiently distributed them and left the room with a small bow, leaving them to their talks.

“So, how much do you know?” Atlas asked, deciding to stop beating around the bush.

“Aunt Luna has informed us on pretty much everything as far as I can tell,” Cadance replied seriously. “We have been corresponding via letters for a while now, and Discord visited every now and again to tell us the breaking news.”

“Which also took some getting used to,” Shining Armor supplied.

“The one thing we don’t quite understand is why you need us to be here, if I understood everything correctly, we could just be located at the array Discord is setting up in the empire,” Cadance mused. “Or is there something I missed.”

“You could say so, yes,” Atlas stroked his chin. “Although the transmission from the various arrays is as effective as can be, there is some unavoidable loss of mana on the way from the location to here. As such we are gathering the most powerful entities in Ponyville, as to keep the loss to a bare minimum. And to be perfectly honest, among all of the ponies we’re gathering, you two have some of the biggest mana pools around, especially you, Cadance, seeing as you’re an alicorn.”

“I feel flattered to also be included in this upper echelon, then,” Shining Armor said with a slight grin on his face.

“Do you need us to do anything special?” Cadance asked after elbowing her husband's side.

“Not in particular, it is just better for you to be here instead of over there,” Atlas shook his head. “Although there is one thing I would like to discuss with you, maybe sometime tomorrow, if you wouldn’t mind. I’m afraid meeting you wasn’t exactly on todays schedule and Luna needs to go to bed, preferably, right. Now.” Atlas made sure to put emphasis on the last two words, shooting a glare at his daughter, much to the mirth of Cadance and Shining.

“But father, these two only just arrived, it would be rude to just leave them alone… like..” Luna started pleading but noticed her fathers look left no room for argument. “My apologies, you two, I really must retreat to my chambers.”

“Don’t worry about it Auntie,” Cadance suppressed her mirth perfectly. “We’ll have enough time to see each other in the coming days.”

“Then, if you’ll excuse me,” Luna nodded before getting up and leaving the room, three sets of eyes following her exit.

“I must admit, that was a lot funnier than I expected it to be,” Cadance said with her eyes lingering on the door.

“It might sound rude coming from me, but I also always quite enjoyed this part of parenting,” Atlas smirked. “Albeit in smaller doses.”

“I can imagine,” Cadance nodded, returning her attention to Atlas. “Before we go our separate ways again, might I at least ask what you would like to discuss with us tomorrow? That way we might be able to prepare better for the talk.”

“But of course,” Atlas smiled warmly. “It is about the power of love,” Cadance visibly perked up. “I heard that you have displayed a usually impossible feat when a certain changeling queen invaded Canterlot a few years back. And seeing as the crystal empire itself seems to function on love as its primary power-source, I assumed it would be at least worth looking into. As far as I can tell, love might serve as a sort of catalyst which amplifies the effect of mana under certain circumstances. Since you two are the only ones we know that have pulled off this feat, as well as you, Cadance, being the alicorn of love, I figured there was no one better to ask.”

“I… see,” Cadance replied, sharing a look with her husband. “What you say is certainly true. I fear we might have less input than you hope for, but we will most certainly provide all the information we can give, isn’t that right, honey?”

“Absolutely,” Shining Armor confirmed. “If love can help resolve this problem, all the better.”

The two shared a quick loving kiss, before returning their full attention towards Atlas. “At what time would you like to meet up?”

“I’m not sure yet myself, I’ll have to look into my schedule and move some things around. I’ll have somepony inform you as soon as possible with a time and location,” Atlas said as he got up. “For now though, I have a rune array calling my name. If you’d excuse me.”

With a last smile, Atlas left the room as well, leaving behind Cadance and Shining as the sole occupants of the room.

“Want to go and see what Twilight is up to?” Cadance asked, already aware of the answer Shining would give.

“Do I love corn-dogs?”

Author's Note:

This is rapidly approaching the end ^^

Once again, thanks to my proofreader Soren Mercer.

Today's chapter was brought to you by this song..

Come join us in the Discord channel! Lonk

Or the official Divine Entertainment group! Divine Universe