• Published 25th Jan 2018
  • 6,886 Views, 563 Comments

Dead Space: Deep Space Terror - Blackdrag-rose



Chrysalis has made the greatest mistake of her life and must survive the horrors that await her in the darkness of the USG Ishimura.

  • ...
16
 563
 6,886

PreviousChapters Next
Ishimura: Asteroid Defense System

The duo carefully made their way back to the elevator that had brought them down to this level, as they still had to avoid the malfunctioning gravity panels that were in their way, before they opened the larger door and walked back into the hallway that the supply room was connected to. As they rounded a corner they found a slasher standing in their way and it turned towards them the instant it noticed that the two of them were there, though it didn't get too far as Chrysalis and Isaac blasted it's arms and legs off. The moment that Necromorph fell, however, another slasher dropped down from the vent they would have walked under in a few seconds and roared at them, where the duo tore it's limbs off with their weapons and dropped it's chest to the floor. Once they were sure that there weren't any other enemies coming towards them, for the moment anyway, the two of them continued walking forward and made their way back to the elevator, where they climbed into the lift and headed back up to the Main Atrium.

A few moments later they walked out of the elevator when it arrived at it's destination, though as they entered the Main Atrium again they heard the sounds of enemies waiting for them, to which they looked around and found five leapers lingering on the wall in front of the elevator and on the ground around them. Isaac focused on the enemies that were to their immediate left, as he was more worried about them, while Chrysalis focused on the remaining foes to the right, where she froze one of them and dismembered it before turning her attention to the other leapers. Fortunately it appeared that the leapers were the only Necromorphs in this immediate area, save for the dead brute that was laying where the duo had killed it, so Isaac and Chrysalis were able to focus their efforts on their current enemies before they were all gone... to which Isaac decided to head towards the store, so he could sell off the ammunition he didn't need and potentially buy the next suit that they had the schematic for.

When they approached the store Isaac sold off the ammunition he didn't need and found that he had more than twenty thousand credits, to which he tapped the button and entered the suit portion of the store, allowing the door to seal behind him for a few moments. When he emerged Chrysalis found that the level three suit had more 'rib' like segments for additional protection, had some metal over Isaac's right hand that looked like a gauntlet of some kind, and his helmet seemed to have three lines instead of two. That last part was some sort of identifier for these suits, as the ones they had been wearing in the beginning had only one line while the one that Chrysalis was wearing had two lines on her helmet, though she pushed that thought to the side as Isaac stepped out of the machine and studied his new suit before walking out of the way.

Chrysalis stepped forward and found that she also had enough credits for the next suit, though this time around she didn't bother to wonder if it was worth it or not as she tapped the button and entered the machine... to which she emerged a few moments later with her version of the level three suit, once more modified to fit over her unique body.

With that deed done the duo walked back into the Main Atrium and searched the area a little bit, where Chrysalis found a second elevator that had three levels they could pick from, though she knew that 'Level 02' was where they were located and that 'Level 03' had to be the ADS itself, so she beckoned Isaac over and climbed into the elevator. Once they were in the elevator she pressed the 'Level 01' button and the door closed, to which they stared their descent towards the level where the other two junction boxes had to be located. As they started their descent, however, they noticed that their RIGs were receiving another communication, to which they both stood still as the connection went through.

"Isaac, Chrysalis, listen up." Kendra said, to which both of them paid extra attention to what they might be told, as Kendra had been reading reports and might be able to tell them something new about the Necromorphs or the strange organic stuff they had come across earlier, "I've gone over the med-sci reports. These things are BIO-RECOMBINATORS. They take dead tissue, absorb it and mold it into new forms. One iteration seems to have the sole purpose of infecting corpses... the others, well, seem to be making corpses to infect. And that body tissue we keep seeing on the walls is part of it too. I found a report that says it's a habitat changer."

Chrysalis didn't like the sound of that, even if she had no idea what that was supposed to mean, but the connection was terminated as they reached the lower level the elevator had been heading towards and walked out after the door opened. From there the two of them walked into the hallway that was in front of them and carefully followed the path in front of them, though that was quickly followed by one of the larger doors exploding and forced them to switch to using their air as the air in the area around them was ejected into space. This time around they ignored the storage room that was in front of them and used the time to reach the door that they needed to head through, though when the door closed behind them the air came back, meaning that they could explore the storage room on the way back to the elevator. On the other side of the door rested a larger door that brought them to the Atrium room that they would find one of the junction boxes in... and it happened to be crawling with several Necromorphs at the moment, along with corpses that one slasher was interested in hauling around the chamber.

There were also a good number of gravity panels that were broken and the duo planned on using them to their advantage, as all they did was shoot a Necromorph once and it would charge at them, but they carefully positioned themselves in line with one of the panels and watched as the slashers were torn to pieces by stepping on the panels and were thrown into the room's ceiling. They repeated the process several more times as they carefully made their way up to the end of the room, watching the slashers tear themselves apart thanks to the malfunctioning gravity panels, before they reached the other side of the room, where a lurker was hiding and waiting for them. Chrysalis, deciding not to play any games at the moment, seized the lurker with her magic and threw it into the wall, where she opened fire on it until it stopped moving and let go of it.

Once they were sure that their foes had been taken care of, and that no more had appeared while they were busy, Isaac tapped the button on the terminal in front of them and waited, because there was always the chance that something might change after it was pressed.

Power transferred to the ADS. the computerized voice declared, to which Isaac and Chrysalis let out a sigh of relief, as it worked like a charm and that meant that they only needed to find one more junction box before they restored power to the cannon.

"Control Systems junction box re-routed." Hammond told them, once more confirming that they had done what the computerized voice had said they had done, which pleased the two of them that they were getting all of this accomplished in a timely manner, "I'm getting a reading. Almost there."

The moment the communication was terminated Isaac and Chrysalis moved forward, though that was when they discovered that an infector had invaded the area and was transforming the corpses into a new swarm of slasher enemies, so while Chrysalis seized the infector and destroyed it Isaac slowed the group of foes and opened fire on them. Chrysalis joined him a few seconds later, where she hurled the dead infector into the group of enemies before loosing rounds from her Pulse Rifle and tore off the arm of a slasher. It took them a few moments to clear out the rest of the slashers that had been created by the infector, though once the enemies had been taken care of they collected all of the ammunition that was resting on the floor. Fortunately the majority of the ammunition was for their weapons, and there were a few bits that would need to be sold later on when they got back to the store, though once they finished collecting everything they could find the two of them made their way back towards the door they used to enter this room.

When they reached the other side of the room Isaac spotted another door they could use and opened it, where he and Chrysalis discovered a text log that detailed the spread of the 'infection' that had knocked out the Flight Deck and moved on from there. It was short, sweet, and to the point, allowing the two of them to store the log away before they entered the connected room and gathered the supplies from the various crates that were in front of them, as well as claim another Power Node for one of their weapons. From there they returned to the room with the second junction box for a few seconds and entered the newest part of the ship that didn't have any air for them to breath, where they quickly made their way to the storage room they had passed earlier. It was there that they found another Bench and some ammunition, though since they only had the one Power Node the duo returned to the airless hallway and retraced their steps back to the room that the elevator was waiting in.

The instant they were back in the elevator Isaac tapped the 'Level 02' option and they rode upwards in silence for a few moments before they stopped on the level that they were familiar with, to which Chrysalis sighed as she realized that she was partly wrong about 'Level 03' and tapped that option, where they continued up towards the level that the third and final junction box was located in. When the elevator reached the level that had been selected, and the doors opened, Isaac and Chrysalis spotted someone standing in the middle of the doorway they would have to walk through, someone that looked hurt and about ready to die, while at the same time a voice said 'Make us whole again'. Before they could actually do anything, however, the man walked to his right and disappeared down the hallway that was connected to this waiting room... to which the duo walked out into the room and collected the Force Gun schematic, along with another audio log from Temple that stated that the bridge was screwed and that he was heading to Hydroponics to find someone called Elizabeth.

When the log was over the two of them walked through the doorway and discovered that there was no trace of the man that they had seen, not even a blood trail to show that he had been there to begin with... to which they fell back into the waiting room and stared at each other, as they would be safe in this area for a few moments so they could question what they had just seen.

"Okay, I'm not the only one that saw that guy right?" Chrysalis asked, because after seeing a fragment of her past suddenly show up like that, and having it be a fragment that she didn't want to remember, she was starting to believe that she and Isaac might already be infected by the Marker.

"No, I saw him as well," Isaac replied, though at the same time he disengaged his helmet for a moment and rubbed the back of his head, as he knew that something was quite right about this situation and knew that Chrysalis had likely determined the same thing, "but he must have been a figment of our imaginations... though I'm not sure how we both could have seen the same person if that was the case."

"When we find this Marker, I'm going to blow it to pieces," Chrysalis growled, because she was already growing tired of the small hallucinations that they had seen so far and didn't want to see what was at the end of the road, and she hadn't found anything that said the Marker was terribly important to Aegis VII, "then I'm going to figure out how to open a portal back home so I can forget all about this terrible nightmare."

"I thought you said that you couldn't open a portal back home." Isaac commented, as he remembered the small number of conversations Chrysalis had with Hammond about the subject, and remembers all of her answers to the various questions.

"I did, but that's not going to stop me from trying once I don't have to fight for my life," Chrysalis replied, to which she sighed as she leaned her head against the wall behind her, as she regretted walking through that crystal mirror and wondered if the other ponies that had been displaced felt the same way, "Look, I'm not about to ditch you on a ship like this, which is constantly falling apart on the three of you, and leave you to face those Necromorphs by yourself. I may have gotten myself into this mess by walking through that crystal mirror, but I'll be damned if I let you, Hammond, and Kendra die without doing my absolute hardest to ensure that you make it off the Ishimura... then, and only then, will I even consider going back home."

Isaac smiled when he heard that, because originally Chrysalis had been fighting for her own survival once they crashed into the Flight Deck, and she still was considering that Necromorphs were still chasing them, but she had found something inside her being that made her want to make sure that he, Hammond, and Kendra made it off the Ishimura. It was almost like she considered the three of them to be her closest friends, something that she may never have had before in her entire life, which was impossible to know since she barely told them anything. Still, regardless of what she did and didn't tell them, she was willing to fight alongside him and finish what they started, while at the same time making sure that all four of them lived to see another day.

"So, does that make us friends?" Isaac asked, because he knew that Chrysalis had been acting like the three of them were merely her acquaintances the entire time, but now it seemed like she had found new ground to stand on and possibly change how she looked at them.

"... I think it might mean that..." Chrysalis replied, as she never had a friend before and had no idea how she was supposed to truly know a real friend from the ones that were faking, before she sighed and glanced at the doorway that they were sitting next to, "Come on, let's go find that other junction box before Hammond and Kendra start screaming at us when the next piece of debris breaks through the hull."

Isaac nodded and reengaged his helmet before he followed after Chrysalis, to which they entered the hallway that was connected to the waiting room and primed their weapons, as they were sure that there was going to be a fight before they reached their target. Around the corner, however, rested another pregnant Necromorph and a slasher, who burst out of the vent near it's companion, to which Isaac loosed a Stasis blast at the pregnant creature and slowed it down while Chrysalis rapidly dismembered the slasher. Once the first target was dead Chrysalis turned her weapon on the pregnant Necromorph and remembered to avoid the stomach area, where she and Isaac tore off it's limb and let it die as it's massive frame hit the floor.

Fortunately for them the terminal they were looking for happened to be in the same room they were in, almost like the pregnant Necromorph was trying to guard it or something, as well as a locked door that they couldn't get through, so Issac and Chrysalis simply walked up to the terminal and pressed the button once more.

Asteroid Defense System now online. the computerized voice declared, though at the same time the door on their left, which had been locked seconds ago, was now able to be open, meaning that the ship's systems had been keeping people away from the main cannon since there wasn't enough power to use it.

"All right, we've got enough power." Hammond said, though this time around Isaac and Chrysalis waited for a few moments, as they were both sure that there was something else he needed to tell them, if their previous experiences were anything to go by, "But the ADS cannon's auto targeting is down. I think it's a faulty data cable. I need one of you to aim the cannon manually until I can replace it. Take the elevator to the top of the ship, and head for the cannon pit."

"Does he realize that we're already at the top of the ship?" Chrysalis asked, because Hammond had spoken to them before and told them which part of the ship they were in based on the readings he was getting, but this time around it appeared that he must have been too focused on the ADS to bother determining where they were.

"He'll figure it out in a few moments," Isaac replied, though at the same time he opened the door that was beside the third terminal and revealed another hallway, shorter than the majority of the ones they had been through so far, waiting for them, "and if he doesn't... well, Kendra is likely to tease him about that."

Chrysalis could see the two fighting about that instead of one teasing the other, but she kept her mouth shut as she and Isaac made their way down the hallway, pausing to stop in the storage room and gather the disappointing amount of supplies that were in there, before heading towards their true target. The door in front of them allowed them to enter another elevator, one with two doors instead of one, and they rode it up towards the airlock that would allow them to walk on the exterior of the ship, making Chrysalis take back her statement about being at the top of the ship. When the elevator arrived at it's destination the duo walked out and followed the small hallway towards the airlock, where they paused and stared at it for a few seconds... which was followed by another communication coming in.

"Isaac, Chrysalis, the two of you are going to have to cross the ship's exterior to reach the ADS." Hammond said, where he echoed what the pair had been thinking about a few moments ago, which they found a tad bit funny while also saying nothing about it at the same time, "Problem is, we're still getting bombarded by asteroids. Look for cover or you'll be torn to pieces."

Chrysalis wasn't too inspired by the information, but it told her and Isaac that they needed to be careful least something happen to them that they couldn't recover from, to which the two of them approached the circular door in front of them and opened it. Once the way was clear they walked into the area between the interior and exterior of the ship and waited for the door behind them to close, though when it did they approached the second circular door and repeated the process, where they stepped out and touched the exterior of the ship. As the two of them carefully walked along the exterior of the ship Chrysalis marveled at the sheer size of the Ishimura, as the two 'walls' on their left and right were pretty tall and, given the lack of air in their suits, were impossible to scale given their situation. Fortunately several of the structures they could hide behind, to prevent the asteroids from tearing them apart, had air canisters attached to them in case workers needed air, which Chrysalis kept in mind as they walked.

Of course the experience wasn't complete without some leaper Necromorphs climbing out of the vents that were in front of the duo and tried to attack them, to which Isaac and Chrysalis made sure to take them out as fast as possible, or let one of the asteroids smash into the unlucky Necromorphs, which happened several times as they walked.

It took a few moments, some effort, and a few more dead Necromorphs before they reached the circular door that would take them to the ADS cannon, to which they entered the chamber and let the door close behind them, were Chrysalis discovered that the controls for manually controlling the cannon were right in front of them. She also collected the ruby semiconductor that happened to be laying on the floor as well, though she and Isaac walked away from the door so it could close and restored air to the entire chamber. Since there was only one seat Chrysalis decided to let Isaac take the controls and simply watched, as she had no idea how to even control the ADS in the manual manner and suspected that Isaac might have some experience if he was an engineer. Isaac, on the other hand, didn't waste any time climbing into the seat and grabbed the controls, to which the three panels in front of them pulled away and revealed that he had control over the entire system... as well as a meter that displayed the hull's integrity, which was at eighty-five percent.

As Isaac took control of the system the computerized voice declared that manual override had been initiated, though at the same time he kept his eyes open for incoming asteroids and pieces of debris, which Chrysalis was helping him with as she looked out the glass in front of them.

"That's it, Isaac, you're in the pit." Hammond spoke up, as if he knew which one of the two had taken control of the cannon without actually seeing them make that decision, though at the same time the two remained focused on what was in front of them, "That cannon's a massdriver, so it should punch through anything that's flying at us. Keep an eye on the hull's integrity. Too many of those things get by and we're dead. I think I've almost got the system repaired, but I need a little more time."

Once the communication was terminated Isaac spotted several bits of debris, or potentially asteroids, coming towards them as the Ishimura returned to it's original orbit it had been staying in before the engines went offline, to which he carefully opened fire on the bits of rock. One thing he had to be mindful of, besides the integrity of the hull, was the fact that manually firing the ADS meant that he might accidentally cause the weapon to lock up if he fired too many shots in rapid succession. Chrysalis, however, watched the asteroids that were coming towards the ship and pointed them out in case Isaac missed them, where the cannon snapped to them and blew them apart before returning to the other rocks that were heading towards them. Some of the asteroids even separated into smaller ones when they were damaged enough, meaning that Isaac had to be careful when he blasted those ones apart, because if he wasn't careful the ship would be damaged and the hull integrity counter would go down.

Fortunately it appeared that Isaac had a good handle on how to operate the ADS, even though he claimed that this was the first time he actually had to take control of the cannon and fire at something, before the auto tracking kicked in and it started shooting at asteroids while Isaac climbed out of the chair.

"Nice shooting Isaac." Hammond said, to which both Isaac and Chrysalis grinned at each other, as they were happy that their hard work was paying off once more, especially since they weren't in danger of being smashed by asteroids or pieces of debris, "Auto tracking is now online and is clearing a path to safe orbit. As soon as we're clear I'll engage the autopilot again. You and Chrysalis should head back to the Tram and I'll meet you there when I'm done."

Isaac and Chrysalis left the ADS to do it's job, protecting the Ishimura from all the asteroids and debris in the air, while they carefully made their way across the path they had taken to reach the pit, taking out the few leapers that decided to attack them before they entered the other airlock. When they reached the elevator that would take them back down to the area that the third terminal was located, and the elevator back down to the Main Atrium, they stopped in their tracks as Kendra appeared on their RIGLink... and it appeared that she had some bad news to tell them, which caused Chrysalis to mentally moan as they stood in front of the elevator door.

"Wait! Isaac, Chrysalis, Hammond... you're not going to believe this." Kendra said, though her tone told them that this was as serious as everything they had done so far, which meant that Isaac and Chrysalis would have another challenge ahead of them, "Oxygen levels are failing. Something is poisoning the Hydroponics air production... and whatever it is, it's filling the deck up with organic stuff. We're not going to have any air to breathe soon. But, if I'm understanding these lab reports correctly, I think I can make a poison to destroy it. Head to Medical. It should have everything we need."

"Will this ever end?!" Hammond asked, his video overtaking Kendra's for a moment, though that was when he looked at Isaac and Chrysalis, where they could both tell that their commander was thinking of something, "Isaac, Chrysalis, get to Medical and mix together whatever Kendra's come up with. I'm heading to Hydroponics. If I can slow it down, that might keep us breathing long enough to fight it."

Isaac and Chrysalis nodded as the connection was terminated and they rode the elevator down in silence, though once they arrived at the area the third terminal was located in they immediately headed towards the other elevator, where they found a new Necromorph that happened to have the ability to separate into various body parts that attacked them from all directions. Chrysalis didn't know if these individual arms and legs had a unified form, but she and Isaac weren't willing to find out as they froze their foes with Stasis blasts and tore them to pieces, before calmly entering the elevator and returning to the Main Atrium. Fortunately there were no enemies waiting for them in the Main Atrium this time around, allowing them to return to where the store was located, but this time Isaac simply shook his head and indicated that they would have time for that when they returned to the Medical Deck.

As they moved away from the store two more slashers, one dropping down in front of them and one doing the same behind them, tried to attack them and spit at them with dangerous looking ball like objects, though Isaac and Chrysalis grabbed the ball from the slasher they were facing and returned it to their target. The instant the slashers were weakened the duo opened fire on them and tore them apart, to which they returned to where the Tram was located, made sure that no more Necromorphs were coming after them, before they climbed onto the Tram. From there Isaac tapped the icon for the Medical Deck and they were off... allowing them a few moments of rest before they had to contend with whatever was happening on the Medical Deck while also creating Kendra's poison.

Chrysalis had the feeling that something terrible was going to happen on the Medical Deck this time around, but she silently hoped that she was wrong and that both she and Isaac could survive whatever was waiting for them.

PreviousChapters Next