• Published 17th Jan 2018
  • 2,571 Views, 211 Comments

Hidden Hands - David Silver



Time Turner has a secret that he does his best to hide while keeping time and working on his mechanical wonders. He's not a bad pony. He hasn't broken any laws, at least, none formally written anywhere.

  • ...
8
 211
 2,571

4 - Briefing

The sun shone warmly across their backs. There was a small crowd of brightly-colored ponies moving with smiles away from the train station. One among them caught Lyra's attention. "Hey," she said in eager greeting. "How's it going, Applejack?"

Applejack pricked her ears. "Oh, jes' getting back from a bit of a crisis down in Appleloosa, everything alright up here?"

Bon Bon considered a moment. The 'Mane Six' were technically a sister branch of S.M.I.L.E., but that did not mean that information was to flow freely between them. "Everypony's doing alright."

"Good ta hear." Applejack nodded firmly, not noticing her duplicitous tone. "You two wouldn't believe what can hurt an apple orchard."

Lyra leaned forward a little. "Something was hurting the Appleloosa apples? That must have been terrible! Is it fixed?"

"With a little help." She nodded firmly. She lowered her cap and began to recount her tale without being asked.


She had stalked through the rows of sad apple trees, the few fallen leaves crunching under her sure hooves. "Where are you headed, anyway?"

Turner turned an ear towards her. "I have a theory... There is a curve to this, but it's going..." his words trailed off as his eyes went skywards, to the apples. "Ah ha..." He took a left, speaking something too quiet to hear in a constant stream of thought.

His steps took him directly into a tree, bumping into it with a surprised snort. One of the apples fell from the shake, a reminder that he was an earth pony. It struck him on the head just as he looked up towards it, splattering across his brow and eyes.

Applejack hurried forward to help wipe the mess free of him, but he wasn't panicking. He was laughing, bits of apple dripping free of him.

He turned to Applejack so quickly, the bits of apple flew out in an uneven arc, splattering along the ground. "Tell me, have the farmers tried solving this on their own?"

Applejack cocked a brow at him, brushing off a few bits of apple that had struck her. "Ah course they did."

"Did they try an insecticide?" His eyes shined with some idea, or so Applejack was certain of.

"Reckon they did... why?" She reached out and flicked off some of the gunk from his front since he seemed to be oblivious to it. "What'ya think happened? They started getting sick before that."

"Imagine that's true, yes yes." He turned in place quickly, sending the last bits of mess free of himself. "They aren't the problem, you see, but they are exacerbating it, encouraging it! What you have is an acute case of Lunar Moths."

"Lun-what now?" Applejack craned her head up to look at the leaves. She had expected them to be yellow or wilted, suspecting some sort of root infection, but they were big and green and healthy, despite the shriveled nature of the apples. "Ain't nopony saw no strange moths around. Ah'd hear about that."

"I should think not," easily agreed Turner as he ran a hoof along the bark of the tree. "Now, I'm no expert, but I am certain this is the cause. Get a lunar moth expert in here and the problem will go away in no time at all."


"And that was that," finished Applejack. "I'm actually on the way to pick up Fluttershy. Ain't a pony around ah'd trust more than her to sort this out. I bet she knows all about these lunar whatsits."

Bon Bon frowned softly. "Well, you found him."

"Found who?" Applejack's eyes followed Filthy Rich wandering past and paused long enough to exchange a wave.

Bon Bon glanced at Lyra, who returned with a nod. "Well, thanks for the story, Applejack."

Lyra flashed a bright smile. "Glad things are clearing up!"

"They ain't just yet, but soon." She resumed her walk, heading towards Fluttershy's. "We'll save the orchard!" Focused on her task, Applejack paid the two no further mind.

Lyra slid closed to Bon Bon. "Well, that's half the mystery, right?"

Bon Bon turned away though. "We should report in. Following him out of town is not in our scope of operations."

"Scope of operations?" Lyra glanced around, eyeing the few ponies that dared to come close. Her voice lowered, "What scope of operations?"

Bon Bon bumped against her, then trotted down the street. Though unsaid, Lyra got the hint and followed her. They smiled amiably at their friends as they passed them by.

Mrs. Cake waved at Bon Bon eagerly. "There you are! I was hoping to get some of your lovely candies to decorate a birthday cake I have coming up and--"

Bon Bon forced a big smile. "--I'd love to help! Write it down and slip it under my door if I'm not there. Sorry, but you caught me in a little hurry, but I'll get right on it, promise."

"I know how it goes." Mrs. Cake let out a sympathetic sigh. "Speaking of that, hello Lyra, and I should be off myself. I'll have the order written out and sent your way as soon as possible, thank you."

The three parted with friendly waves. Lyra caught up to Bon Bon and nudged her. "Always nice getting a big order, huh?"

"Yeah... I'm a little distracted though." Reaching her shop, she kicked open the door and led the way inside. "Speaking of that, I'm going to have to leave you here, if they do authorize me to go."

Lyra's brows went up in unison as she closed the door behind them both. "And why don't I go to Appleloosa and say hi to Turner?"

Bon Bon circled around to the back of the poorly-lit counter, smiling at Lyra in a cocky, knowing manner. "Because somepony just finished telling me about how bad I am at dealing with Miss Hooves, so you'll be handling that while I'm gone, of course."

Lyra's horn glowed as she lit a few candles around the room, dispelling the gloom and allowing the light to reflect off the glass cases of the candies in their jars. "I can do that, and I will, Bonnie. Don't jump on him though."

Bon Bon screwed her face up in disgust. "Lyra! Really..."

Lyra blinked emptily a moment before it clicked. "Oh! Sheesh, Bonnie, not that way. I mean, don't scare him. You already scared the Derpster."

Bon Bon waved the advice away. "I know how to handle a suspect." Lyra opened her mouth to speak but Bon Bon held up a hoof, forestalling it. "Let's report in."

Lyra strode down the stairs. "Aye aye, Miss bossy lady." She giggled when Bon Bon looked irate. "Let's report in."

In the crowded basement, Lyra's horn lit the way, casting wavering light across the supplies and tools that hadn't seen frequent use. "Good thing one of us is a unicorn," sang Lyra before her light began to focus on the far wall. "Agent Heartstrings, reporting in."

"Ah, and Agent Sweetie Drops." The image focused on a stallion, peering at them both with a serious expression. "I had hoped to contact you, in fact. Status report?"

Bon Bon stepped ahead of Lyra. "We've located the missing coltfriend of the first witness. I am requesting permission to pursue to Appleloosa."

The large image of the stallion leaned forward, looming over them. "Do you think he is linked to this?"

Lyra waved a hoof flippantly. "How can he not be? Derpy probably told him all about it, at least. If we can't get her to talk, maybe he has some juicy details."

"You have a point. Permission granted, however, there are new developments." He stepped to the side, no longer occupying the sensor view of the S.M.I.L.E. HQ, many panels blinking with lights.

Taking his place came a mare. "Good afternoon. We've had a second sighting, in Fillydelphia. Based on currently gathered intel." She flipped through a batch of papers with her horn. "It is very unlikely this is the same entity as the first."

Bon Bon scowled. "There's more than one?! Are we being invaded?"

Lyra pointed up at the new mare. "Did the new one do anything?"

"Negative." She ducked out of the shot and the first stallion appeared.

"Whatever it is, it's good at hiding, but we have agents on the ground in pursuit already. We expect results soon." One of his brows cocked. "Can I say the same for you two?"

Bon Bon stiffened as she gave a sharp salute. "We are on the case, Agent Furlong. I'll leave immediately to interview the second witness. Agent Heartstrings will be continuing interrogation of--"

"--Don't call it that!" interjected Lyra with a huff. "I'll talk to Derpy, nicely, and get her to open up."

Furlong's eyes darted between the two of them. "I'll be awaiting further reports. Agent Furlong, out."

Bon Bon thrust up a hoof. "Wait!"

"Hmm?"

Bon Bon forced a smile. "I'll need a few... tools for this assignment."

Furlong leaned in, towering over them. Bon Bon kicked Lyra's hoof and the image shrank back to a more reasonable size. "What manner of tool do you require, Agent?"

Bon Bon rolled a hoof. "I'm told there's a lunar moth infestation..."

"Say no more. A discrete drop will be made in Appleloosa for you to pick up." His face vanished, the arcane bubble popping.

Lyra turned to her friend. "What's so special about lunar moths that they have a tool just for them?"

Bon Bon rolled a hoof. "They're monsters. It's what we do. They are usually harmless... unless they roost in your orchard or farm, then you and everypony around you is doomed to starve." She turned back towards the stairs. "They don't mean any harm, but that doesn't stop them from utterly destroying the towns they land in. I'll take care of it while I'm there, subtly." She looked over her shoulder. "I'll let Fluttershy and Time Turner take the credit, better to avoid any panic among the populace."

"Aw, that's nice of you." Lyra followed with a bright smile, her glow dancing across the otherwise-dark basement with her energetic steps. "Pity they'll never know who did them a favor."

"Price we pay, being secret agents." She ascended the stairs. "I'll be gone for a while, as you know. Take care of the store, and fill Miss Cake's order."

Lyra's face fell. "I don't like making candies!"

"And you'll do it anyway." Bon Bon turned at the top of the stairs. "We're partners, that means we cover each other."

Lyra's pout erupted into a joyful expression as she hopped up onto the last step. "Yeah... partners. You can trust me!" She saluted with a fit of giggles. "So, when can I ask you to cover me at a performance."

"When you're ready to accept the consequences of that decision." Bon Bon kissed Lyra's cheek before spinning in place, trotting for the door. "I'll see you soon. Here's to both of our success."

"As partners," added Lyra. They shared a smile, and Bon Bon slipped out, set in her duties.


Derpy flew purposefully, her shadow traveling over Ponyville. The warm sun cast a pleasant blanket over her back as she cast her eyes out across the town in a searching sweep. There it was. She dipped in lower, almost hitting a house on the way, but almost didn't count.

"Hiya Muffins!" called out a little voice. The CMC were waving at her.

She returned the wave with a big smile, only to squeak as she turned her head back around just in time to swerve out of the way of a sign that had clearly leapt into her way in the height of rudeness. She spied her target and came in, zooming just above the ground. "I brought you a letter!" she cried as she pulled an envelope free from her saddlebag and held it out in front of her like a shield.

Sure it was addressed to the mare that had spooked her lately, but she was a mailmare.

She delivered the letter to Bon Bon with a smile before veering off to continue her rounds.

Author's Note:

The plot, it thickens? Who is this second human?!

Want this story updated faster? Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!