• Published 14th Jan 2018
  • 712 Views, 10 Comments

What She Doesn't See - Carnelian-Fox



Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash secretly love each other, but have trouble admitting it. Discord must choose between fighting for Fluttershy's heart and letting her go. Fluttershy, having had an advantage over depression, may soon take a turn for worse.

  • ...
2
 10
 712

Chapter 4: The City of Fog

Chapter 4: The City of Fog

Twilight told the three Pegasi, “Take my balloon. It’s in the usual place.”

“Thanks, Twi!” Rainbow Dash thanked her Alicorn friend, nodding affirmatively. She ushered Scootaloo and Fluttershy out of the crystal castle, excited to be on an assignment with Fluttershy and intrigued by the role Scootaloo would soon play. She glanced at Fluttershy, who kept an eye hidden by her mane. She could tell that Fluttershy had some concerns that she was keeping close. Addressing those reservations, all the while not, Rainbow Dash assured, “Hey, Fluttershy, it’ll be okay. Whatever’s going on in the mayor’s office, we can fix.”

“I know. I know it will all be okay, Dash… You and Scootaloo are so brave, brave enough to stare death in the face and laugh. All I’ve done while staring death in the face is either get scared or…” Fluttershy mumbled, her voice trailing off. She was too ashamed to admit what she had been driven to attempt in her youth in front of Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. She especially didn’t want Scootaloo to hear. Growing up as she was, Scootaloo was still too young to be exposed to some of Equestria’s darker truths.

“Or what?” Scootaloo piped up, her innocent curiosity shining through, trying to illuminate the dark mystery that Fluttershy was keeping reserved.

“I…I’m diseased…” Fluttershy sniffled. Unable to restrain herself, she stopped short and began to softly sob. “I’m so weak…” Both of her companions stopped, too. Scootaloo’s confusion grew, but to Rainbow Dash, everything was perfectly clear. Deep inside, Rainbow was kicking herself for not seeing the signs in flight school. She didn’t want to think about Fluttershy attempting suicide or what horrible things were going through her mind. The cyan mare wrapped her forelegs and wings around the pink maned mare, hugging her firmly. Fluttershy sniffled, “R-Rainbow…?”

“You are not weak,” Rainbow Dash muttered, almost growling. “It’s not your fault and you’re a stronger pony than you think you are. You’re strong enough to live, Fluttershy, and you’re strong enough to make everypony around you a better pony. You don’t have to be ashamed of what you’ve done or what you’ve tried to do. What matters to me is that you’re here.” Fluttershy let out an appreciative sniffle.

“I’m so lost…” Scootaloo muttered.

“Kid…” Rainbow Dash let out a sigh, hoping to give Fluttershy the privacy her mental health deserved.

“No, Rainbow, I’ll explain,” Fluttershy assured. Staying in Rainbow Dash’s fortifying grasp, Fluttershy began to tell Scootaloo what was wrong. “Listen, Scootaloo, when I was a filly, I was diagnosed with a mental illness called depression. It’s a nasty mood disorder that makes you think dark thoughts, making you sad or angry, and it saps up your strength so every day tasks take more effort and become less enjoyable.”

“But I’ve never seen you sad before,” Scootaloo said in response.

“That’s because I do what I can to manage it now, but when I was a filly…well, that’s a different story,” Fluttershy clarified. “It’s something I wouldn’t wish on my own worst enemy. Part of why I live on the ground is because being connected to the land makes me feel better.”

“It makes you feel better?” Scootaloo asked, receiving a nod from Fluttershy. Scootaloo’s face lit up. “Well, it looks like you’re winning against depression and I’m glad you’re happy, Fluttershy!”

“Thank you, Scootaloo,” Fluttershy mumbled, managing a gentle smile from the filly’s words. “You’re a sweet foal. Never change that.”

“Yeah, Scoots. You’re a good kid,” Rainbow Dash agreed, smiling in relief. None of what Fluttershy explained could have been easy to say, especially to somepony who has no idea what it’s like. What’s more, explaining what depression was in such a way that a foal Scootaloo’s age would understand must have been extra difficult.

“Ah, it’s nothing,” Scootaloo replied bashfully. “C’mon! We have a friendship problem to solve!”

Back at Twilight’s castle, Starlight was steadily eyeing the thrones strung around the crystal table that was the magical Cutie Map. Spike climbed into his small, unmarked throne that sat next to the throne with Twilight’s cutie mark on it. Twilight approached her alumnus, asking, “What is it, Starlight?”

“I was just thinking about the position of the thrones,” Starlight replied, focusing on Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy’s designated seats at the table. “I’m wondering if they’re placed where they are on purpose…”

“Mine sure is!” Spike exclaimed happily, slouching comfortably in a place of importance.

“What do you mean? Six Elements of Harmony, six thrones adorned with cutie marks. What’s the significance?” Twilight asked, hopeful for an interesting theory from her former student and fellow unicorn.

“Do you believe in destiny?” Starlight asked, eyes still glued to the large seats adorned with butterflies and a rainbow lightning bolt.

“Of course,” Twilight replied with an affirmative nod and a slight chuckle. Smiling, she elaborated, “At this point in life, with everything I’ve experienced, I’d feel foolish for saying otherwise.”

“Well…did you notice anything between Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy?” Starlight continued to question.

“Well, of the six of us, those two have known each other the longest. And when they were here…” the purple Alicorn muttered and her eyes lit up. “Come to think of it, they did have a powerful chemistry. You think…!”

“Yep. I think their thrones were put next to each other because they’re entwined by fate,” Starlight finished Twilight’s sentence, confirming her suspicions. Beaming, she said, “You have to admit that they’d make a cute couple!”

“I ship it,” Spike chimed in, reading a comic book.

“What?” Twilight asked in confusion. “Is that what ponies say these days?”

“I guess so,” Starlight murmured. Out of nowhere, Discord appeared, causing Starlight to stumble backwards. “Ah!”

“Twilight Sparkle, thank you ever so much for clearing your schedule for me!” the draconequus thanked the princess.

Furrowing her brow, Twilight retorted, “I didn’t clear my schedule, Discord. You just popped in like you always do.”

“Then explain this,” Discord challenged, showing the Princess of Friendship a transparent plastic sheet with Twilight’s schedule written on it and smiling smugly.

“Did you barge in here just so you could make that pun?” Twilight demanded, beginning to grow annoyed thanks in part to her worries about whatever state Cloudsdale might be in.

“No, no, no, no, no!” Discord rapidly exclaimed, then regained his composure. “I’ve come to ask you for some…friendship advice…”

Twilight grew from annoyed to intrigued to concerned over the period of a moment of silence. In a soft, approachable and near-motherly tone, she asked the spirit of chaos, “What seems to be the matter, Discord?”

“Well, you see, Twilight, I seemed to have developed an attraction of the romantic variety to Fluttershy, but I believe that she has feelings for somepony else,” Discord divulged, hanging his head in disappointment and twiddling his mismatched thumbs.

“Discord, I think what’s important here is that you be honest with Fluttershy, but not overbearing. Just let her know that you’re not going to say and do things that remind her of how you feel or that would interfere with her feelings about this somepony else,” Twilight advised, hoping that her wording made sense.

“You’re saying that ponies sometimes force their feelings upon one another?” Discord asked, raising a thick, white brow.

“Only the scummy ones,” Starlight chimed in. “Don’t be a scum bag. Let her make her choices. Besides, if you did constantly remind her of your feelings without giving her any breathing room, she’s going to question everything about your friendship.” Discord’s eyes widened in horror. “One and done. Let her make a choice.”

“Right…” Discord muttered. “Now I’m not even sure I should tell her…”

“No!” Starlight and Twilight exclaimed in protest.

“You should tell her, man. Trust me, the longer you wait, the more it will bother you,” Spike preached, still engrossed in his comic book. “I learned that the hard way.”

“So, I should tell her and just do nothing?” Discord asked, scratching his head.

“From start to finish, a relationship is a two-way road. If it’s not meant to be, it’s not meant to be,” Twilight replied and smiled sympathetically at him. “But I know you’ll be supportive of her decision regardless. If roles were reversed, she would do the same for you.”

“Yes, I suppose you’re right. She’s special that way. Oh, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash will be so lucky to have you,” Discord murmured.

“Ah-ha! I knew it!” Starlight blurted. All eyes were on her, including Spike’s, and she giggled sheepishly, blushing a bit. “Did I say that out loud?”

“Smooth, Starlight,” Spike sarcastically called out, going back to his comic book. “Real smooth.”

“I do want Fluttershy to be happy… Alright. I’ll give it a shot,” Discord declared. “Thank you all. This really helped me with my predicament.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” Twilight assured, happy to have helped a friend. “Though, you may want to work on your entry puns.”

Meanwhile, the Pegasi had moved on from their endearing moment of hurt and comfort and were well on their way in the hot air balloon they borrowed. Scootaloo would occasionally buzz her wings in anticipation. Fluttershy wrapped her long, pink tail around the filly. Rainbow Dash kept her eyes on the sky, but smiled in appreciation as she heard the soft sound of Fluttershy’s even softer tail. Scootaloo asked them, “What was it like growing up in Cloudsdale?”

“Fun, competitive,” Rainbow Dash answered nonchalantly, “and too crowded.”

“I’ll say amen to that,” Fluttershy agreed with a soft giggle. “I like to think that it was a good place for making friends.”

“It certainly was full of opportunity, but some Pegasi were friendlier than others. I’ve gotta admit that I got lucky when I met Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said in reflection. Her words made Fluttershy’s face turn rosy.

“Yeah. I agree, but about you, Rainbow. Rainbow Dash was always willing to stand up for everypony,” Fluttershy reminisced, thankful for that blessing and wishing that she had been more thankful in their youth. Scootaloo took Fluttershy’s words in quickly and beamed at her idol.

“Well, there’s no way I’d let those stupid bullies pick on you or Gilda and just stand by,” Rainbow Dash informed her fellow ponies as she looked down from the balloon’s basket, judging the altitude they were at. She climbed out of the basket and began to flap her wings. Hovering, she turned to her companions and announced, “We’re at the right altitude.”

“Yay,” Fluttershy softly cheered.

“Onward to Cloudsdale!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, pushing the balloon by the basket in the northern direction. Scootaloo rose from Fluttershy’s comfortable tail and wandered to the edge of the basket. She looked down at the ground below and her eyes grew huger than they already were. Her pupils dilated in excitement from being so high up.

“Scootaloo, be careful. Don’t lean too far,” Fluttershy cautioned worriedly. Being so high up was exhilarating and destabilizing all at once. It was the kind of adrenaline rush that many Pegasi wished for, but Fluttershy was not among those Pegasi. Sure, it was nice to be able to fly and really feel at one with the air, but Fluttershy feared for all of the possible scenarios where something went horribly, tragically wrong.

“It’s okay! Rainbow Dash will catch me!” Scootaloo claimed confidently. “Won’t you, Rainbow Dash?”

“You bet, Squirt, but that’s no reason to throw yourself out of the balloon,” Rainbow Dash replied. “I’m not gonna let anything happen to either of you.”

Hearing that made Fluttershy feel the safest she’d felt since the three Pegasi left the ground. Rainbow Dash was brave and loyal and had a strong sense of justice. For the rest of the trip, the three ponies were aloof to the passage of time until Cloudsdale came into view. Fluttershy was looking ahead, navigating for Rainbow Dash, and she let out a light gasp at the sight she was beholding.

“Is that…Cloudsdale?” Scootaloo questioned as she followed Fluttershy’s gaze, sounding as confused as Fluttershy felt.

“What? We’re there?” Rainbow Dash asked and lifted her head until her eye level was above the rim of the hot air balloon’s basket. Rainbow Dash gasped as she stared between Fluttershy and Scootaloo. There in the distance was a cloud city overflowing with thick viscous fog. “Whoa…That’s not right…”

“M-maybe there was an argument when a cloud machine broke,” Fluttershy suggested hopefully, “and that’s why we were called to Cloudsdale.”

“It’d be nice to not have to deal with politics or any of that business that Twilight told us about, but my gut’s telling me some pretty nasty stuff,” Rainbow Dash responded, not wanting to crush Fluttershy’s hopes, but also not wanting to raise them under false pretenses. A slippery slope such as a pony’s emotions in a delicate situation was among the few things that made Rainbow Dash nervous.

Fluttershy didn’t reply. She continued to stare at the foggy Cloudsdale. If they were lucky, a cloud machine was broken, but the fog held an ominous aura that was difficult to identify with words. Fluttershy just wanted to make sure that hers and Rainbow Dash’s families were okay. Whenever the cloud production machines broke when they were fillies, the fog would be so thick that school would be cancelled and parents who could work from home did. Fluttershy’s own father worked in the cloud factory and many times braved the fog and lack of sight to aid in the repairs.

Scootaloo nudged Fluttershy with her muzzle, earning the older Pegasus’s attention. The little filly reassuringly said, “Don’t worry, Fluttershy! If the Cutie Map chose us, it must mean we’re the ponies who’ll make sure everything is okay!”

“Yeah,” Fluttershy agreed, a small grin forming on her face. The filly’s optimism was contagious and Fluttershy hoped it would be enough to keep her inner demons at bay. Rainbow Dash gave the balloon one more big push before flying back into the basket, letting inertia carry them the rest of the way. Fluttershy felt her muscles relax and her mind find a bit of ease and peace with the addition of Rainbow Dash’s body heat to her proximity.

“There’s a dock for balloons and airships and stuff. My folks’ place isn’t that far from it, so we could head there if you wanted,” Rainbow Dash suggested.

“Yeah! I love your parents!” Scootaloo exclaimed excitedly.

“I haven’t seen them in ages. It’d be nice to catch up,” Fluttershy stated, recalling how friendly, hospitable and over the top the cyan mare’s parents tended to be. Closing her eyes, Fluttershy started counting off the blessings she had that would keep her spirits up in her mind as the three Pegasi entered the gloomy, fog-ridden unknown.