• Published 12th Jan 2018
  • 2,255 Views, 17 Comments

Doctors Don't Take Sides - Metool Bard



Meadowbrook shows grace to even her greatest foes.

  • ...
1
 17
 2,255

Healing's Hippocratic Oath

Dear Journal:

Sometimes, it's hard to balance being a healer with being a Pillar. As a healer, my first goal is to help those in need and do no harm. But when threats to Equestria try to destroy everything we love, well, it's my duty as the Pillar of Healing to help the others fight, ain't it? I'm pretty sure that includes doing harm to our enemies. And that puts me in quite the difficult position, y'know? How the hay am I supposed to heal and hurt at the same time?

You're probably wondering why I'm talking about this now, ain't ya? After all, I've helped the Pillars save Equestria several times, yet this is the first time I'm really having thoughts like this. Well, maybe I should tell ya the whole story. Today, we managed to save Equestria again. But this time, I did something that made Starswirl awfully sore at me. And for the life of me, I'm not entirely sure why.

***

Our foe this time around was a neko witch calling herself Catrina. She came from the southeast, seeking to take our magic for herself and make all of ponykind her slaves. Of course, like always, Stygian was the first to tell us about her. As it turned out, part of her plan was creating a potion that would make her as powerful as she was in her youth. Just hearing that, I already had a good idea where she was gonna strike next, and I didn't like it one bit.

Sure enough, Stygian got word from the EUP that Catrina's path of destruction was making a big ol' beeline to Hayseed Swamp; my home. Now honestly, if she attacked any other place in Equestria, it wouldn't have changed my resolve to stop her. Far as I'm concerned, all of Equestria is my home, and as one of its Pillars, it's my duty to protect it. Still, it gave me more of a personal stake in this fight than usual. This'll be important later on.

Anyway, once Starswirl had all of this information, he immediately hatched a plan. We would lure Catrina deep into the bayou, keepin' her as far away from the civilians as possible. Once there, we'd tire her out and use our artifacts to send her packing. Honestly, I had no quarrel with Starswirl at this point. Sure, it sounds like pretty much the same song and dance we've done several times before, but y'know what they say. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it. Besides, any plan that kept my friends and family out of harm's way was a-okay in my book.

That night, we started putting our plan into action. Seeing as I was the one with the potion know-how, I acted as bait for Catrina. I won't lie; it was frightening. Even more frightening than the Sirens or anything else we had to fight before. But I swallowed that fear like the bitter pill it was. No way was I gonna let my nerves prevent me from doing what's right.

I must've waited on the edge of the bayou for hours, just pacing up and down the bank pretending to gather ingredients. Then, just as darkness covered the night sky, I saw a pair of glowing yellow eyes in the underbrush. Part of me just wanted to run, but I knew full well the safety of my home came before my own well-being. I kept up my act, turning my back to the eyes as though I didn't notice 'em. For a time, all I heard were the sounds of the bayou. Frogs croaking; flash bees buzzing; an owl hooting in the distance. I didn't even hear a single footstep, but I could feel a presence drawing closer and closer.

Just when I felt the presence upon me, there was a flash of light that lit up the sky. The light came from a familiar magical construct shaped like an azure dragon. Mistmane emerged from the swamp.

"You will not be claiming anypony this day, Catrina," she said sternly. "Especially not my friend."

I turned around. There stood Catrina, in all of her menacing glory. She was indeed hunched over me, her claws extended and her fangs bared. My blood ran both hot and cold. If Mistmane didn't come in when she did, I might've been a goner.

Of course, there wasn't any time to breathe. I galloped over to Mistmane's side and hollered back over to Catrina.

"If you wanna take over Equestria, you'll need to get by us, first!"

Catrina was quick to take me up on that offer. We led her into the swamp, just as planned. Luckily, I knew all of the shortcuts, and we met up with the others without much difficulty. However, that sprint through the bayou was not enough to tire Catrina out. She towered over all of us, hovering a good ten feet off the ground. Her silken robe didn't even have a splash of mud on it. Of course, I knew it wasn't gonna be that easy. It never is.

We launched into the battle straight away, and it was the usual routine. Flash Magnus used his shield to protect us from Catrina's spells while Mistmane and Starswirl launched counter spells of their own. Somnambula and I stuck to running interference, distracting her long enough for Rockhoof to send large boulders her way with that trusty shovel of his. In my mind, I thought I knew where this was going. It was just like Starswirl planned it. She couldn't keep this up forever, and once she wavered, we'd deliver the good ol' coup de grâce. The day would be saved once again, thanks to the Pillars of Equestria.

But then, something happened. In the middle of the battle, Catrina stumbled upon a lily growing in the bayou. The lily's flower opened up and sprayed its spores right into her face. Already, something clicked in my mind. I knew I saw that flower before, and I knew what was coming next. Catrina coughed and sputtered, struggling to stay upright. Her glowing eyes flashed in defiance, and she took a deep breath in, preparing another spell.

That's when I saw it. Her chocolate-brown fur had begun to develop orange splotches. When she exhaled, instead of a powerful gale of wind, bubbles sprung forth from her mouth. She coughed and wheezed, her body slowly beginning to weaken. There was no doubt in my mind: Catrina had contracted Swamp Fever.

But apparently, I was the only one bothered by this. I saw my fellow Pillars raise their objects, while Starswirl prepared his spell. He looked at me.

"Now's our chance, Meadowbrook!" he told me. "Let us be rid of this villain!"

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as I battled my own thoughts. I knew firsthoof what Swamp Fever could do. No one, not even an evil witch like Catrina, deserved such a fate. But she was a threat to Equestria. It was our job to vanquish her, wasn't it? Why should I care if she got sick? It just makes my job easier. Right?

Even now, I cringe at just how, callous that sounds. Right then and there, I made a decision. I donned my mask, but instead of joining my comrades, I walked over to her.

"Meadowbrook! What are you doing?!" Starswirl demanded. "We have to complete the spell!"

I turned to Starswirl and shook my head. "Not like this," I said. "She's sick. I need to help her."

Starswirl looked at me like I was a lunatic, and he wasn't alone. Everyone else just stared at me blankly.

"And ponies say I'm the reckless one," said Flash Magnus. "Meadowbrook, you do realize she's been trying to steal magic from all of Equestria, right? Why would you ever want to help her?"

"'Cause she's sick," I replied simply. "And I'm sorry, but the healer in me can't just stand by and watch someone suffer. I don't give a flying feather who it is."

Luckily, I managed to have a stash of flash bee honey on my person. Since we were fighting in the bayou, I didn't want any of my friends to get sick. Of course, I didn't count on ending up using it on our enemy, but sometimes, that's just how life plays out. But even as I got out my medicine, Starswirl was still complaining.

"Meadowbrook, be sensible," he pleaded. "If it wasn't for us, she would've destroyed your village. And if you help her recover, she might just decide to take advantage of that kindness and destroy your village, anyway. Why waste your talents on a villain such as her? She doesn't deserve your gifts!"

I sighed. "Maybe not. But this ain't about what she deserves. It's about what she needs. And right now, she needs to be healed." I placed a vial of honey to her lips. "Here, drink this."

Catrina looked up at me, and wouldn't you know it, she had the exact same dumbfounded expression on her face.

"Your friends are right," she rasped. "This is why you equines are such ideal targets. You're too soft. Once I regain my strength, I will destroy you all. Why take my side?"

I couldn't help but smile at that.

"That's just it. I'm not on anyone's side," I said. "I'm the Pillar of Healing, and if that means curing my enemy of a dangerous disease, then so be it. Now, drink up. Unless you like the idea of turning into a tree."

Catrina still refused me, probably due to her pride. After much cajoling, I managed to feed her the medicine. I had Rockhoof take her back to my hut, where I lay her in my bed to let her rest. I could tell he wasn't keen on the idea. Neither was anypony else, for that matter. But, good ol' Somnambula was willing to vouch for me. She said that she had hope that I would be okay. That pony's a real peach.

***

Dear Journal:

Today, I'm letting Catrina leave. Turns out she has no intention of stealing Equestria's magic anymore. Funny how a week with someone to listen to your problems can change that. Starswirl still says I'm a loon, but I still stand by what I did. Honestly, Catrina's not that bad once you get to know her. Once upon a time, she was a very playful gal. That is, until her desire for eternal youth sent her down a dark path of endless greed. Actually, once Mistmane heard her side of the story, she changed her tune. After all, she knows exactly what that's like.

I don't know where Catrina will go from here, but despite Starswirl's grumbling, I wish her well.

***

Meadowbrook stared at the journal and sniffled. A few of her tears stained the old, tattered pages. She heard the soft clip-clopping of hooves behind her.

"Everythin' alright, Meadowbrook?"

Meadowbrook turned to see her only living descendant, Cattail. The matronly pony had a concerned look on his face. Meadowbrook sighed.

"Just, thinkin' 'bout the past," she said, shaking her head. "I was willin' to help someone who I only knew as my enemy. Why, then, did I not extend the same courtesy to my friend? What happened to me? What happened to us?"

Cattail let out a thoughtful grunt. "Well, it ain't my place to say. I guess even the wisest of ponies can be blinded by their own hubris from time to time. Even a pony as sweet as you."

Meadowbrook sighed again. "If Catrina knew what I did to Stygian, she'd be sore at me, and rightfully so. None of us can justify that, mess."

"It ain't your fault, Meadowbrook," said Cattail solemnly. "Ain't nopony's fault, really. What matters is whatever wrong you did, y'all managed to fix it. So, really, there's no use dwellin' on it. Just accept that it happened, learn from it, and move on."

Meadowbrook paused for a moment to ponder this. Finally, she smiled and closed her journal.

"You might just have a point there, Cattail," she said, turning to face him. "Thanks."

"No need to thank me. Just healin' some old wounds like anyone in our family would," said Cattail with a sly wink.

Meadowbrook giggled at that. "Well, as a healer myself, I think that's just what I needed," she said.

"Thank you kindly," said Cattail with a chuckle. "So, comin' to bed?"

"I'll be there in a minute," said Meadowbrook.

Cattail nodded and trotted off. Meadowbrook took one last gaze out the window.

If only I gave Stygian the same treatment I gave you, Catrina, she mused. Well, no sense in tryin' to change what happened. As we say down in the bayou, laissez faire, mon ami.

Author's Note:

I know I said I have a big story planned, but I wanted to get back in the game with something simple first. I remember in my story Legacy of Illumination, I made a mention of Meadowbrook being the one that defeated Catrina (an old G1 villain, for those who don't know). Now, I wrote that long before I knew Meadowbrook was a Cajun plague doctor, but I figured I'd still try to make the canon fit. Thus, this bit of fluff was born.

Apropos of nothing, why isn't the "Uplifting" tag a thing? I think that tag best fits this story, but that's just me. :applejackunsure:

Comments ( 17 )

The story seems pretty good, even though it's a small snipit compared to what I'm used to reading and writing. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised from someone with 50 stories under their belt and a few hundred followers.

This was a good read. I really like the way you wrote Meadowbrook in this story, and her scene in the present with Cattail was handled well too.

Good little short story, and nice to see some insight into what the Pillars may have been like and some of the adventures they may have had in Old Equestria.

Doctors don't like to hurt people. Because they just make more work for themselves by doing that.

8665735 Unless they're the 'Angel of Death' doctors who like torturing and killing people, or the ones that over-prescribe medication to get big kickbacks, and there's the ones that charge for procedures they didn't perform.

People are people. No group is immune to corruption.

8665735
Oh they don't, do they? :trollestia:
(but I get the consept)

This is a nice little vignette, but it would be even better if you found a way to not write the majority of it in italics.

This is nice and I agree with Meadowbrook of course, after all swamp fever is a truly horrible disease.

A very nice story that covers a very interesting dilemma for battlefields medics.

Τhe story in general is well-written in my opinion,and that refrence to Catrina was awesomeXD,and...the title itself literally gives away a powerful message,good job...

👍🏻 Total awesomeness!

Can i do a humanish version of this story? Plz. I will give you credit.

10458691
I honestly don't understand your proposal here. What would a humanized version of this story change? How would you tell the story differently? Because if you're just going to take the original and make all the characters human, I find that to be a silly waste of time. Elaborate a bit on what this humanized story would entail, and I might consider it. I'm not saying I hate the idea; I'm saying you kinda have to do more than just make the characters human.

10458902
1st: My apologies. I am very bad at explaining things. 2nd. I was just meaning if i could like use elements from your story as inspiration.

10458918
Oh. Well, in that case, by all means.

I wonder if Rep showed up while Catrina was in the care of Meadowbrook.

Login or register to comment