• Published 14th Jan 2018
  • 6,884 Views, 467 Comments

Celestia XVII - brokenimage321



Being seventeen is hard--especially if you happen to be a Princess.

  • ...
13
 467
 6,884

PreviousChapters Next
Orchestral Suite No. 1, "Dance of the Firebird"

Author's Note:

This chapter was initially published as its own, standalone, proof-of-concept fic, also called "Celestia XVII." It's been reworked a little to make it fit this fic a little better.

“And, once again,” Aunt Luna growled, “We find ourselves having this discussion.”

The three of us—Great-Aunt Luna, Twilight, and I—stood in Loonie’s suite, just across the hall from mine. I had promised myself I could make it to Sunday without getting into a fight with Loonie—but here it was, only Thursday night, and she already looked like she wanted to tear my throat out.

I watched Loonie pace the room, wearing nothing but her Peytral. Her khakis lay draped over the armchair, her pith helmet perched on top, both covered in ash.

I snuck a glance at Twilight. She stood beside me, head bowed, looking properly ashamed. Her glasses were crooked on her face, and she had ash in her mane. I probably did, too, but there were more important things at stake at the moment. I turned to look at Luna again, mustering my most defiant glare.

Suddenly, Aunt Luna stopped, then turned to glower at me.

“Princess Celestia,” she said gravely.

“My name is Cece,” I growled.

Loonie’s eyes flashed. “I will not call you by such a ridiculous nickname,” she snapped. “You are a Princess, not a child.”

“Then why do you keep treating me like one?” I shot back.

“Because you insist on being childish,” she snarled. “On top of all your other mischief, today, you had the gall to—” She stopped, sighed, then put a hoof to her forehead. After a moment, she spoke again, quieter. “I cannot rightly apprehend,” she said slowly, “what exactly you were hoping to accomplish by giving your friend Butterfly—”

“Fluttershy,” Twilight interjected quietly.

Luna nodded her thanks. “Fluttershy,” she repeated. “You gave your friend Fluttershy your dear Philomena to take care of, on the eve of her Rebirth, claiming her to be gravely ill. If you weren’t trying to break her heart, then I have no idea—”

“It wasn’t supposed to happen like that,” I pleaded. “It was just supposed to be a simple prank. Philomena always Rebirths about an hour after she molts. How was I supposed to know she was going to hold on for another forty-eight?”

Luna shot me a scathing look. “Would it have hurt Fluttershy any less,” she said icily, “if it had happened sooner?”

“Yes,” I growled. But, even to me, the word sounded hollow.

Luna smirked a little, and I snarled back. We both knew the score. Loonie one, Cece zero.

Loonie took a deep breath. “Prank, trick, or outright lie,” she began, “there’s little difference in the end. But be that as it may, your actions against Fluttershy were bad enough on their own. But the impact they had on Rarity was simply disgraceful. Poor Fluttershy was so distressed that she missed Rarity’s fashion show, jeopardizing the whole endeavour. Further,” she added, building up steam, “Fluttershy rushed the stage in the middle of the show, scattering Philomena’s ashes all over everyone and everything present—especially on all of Rarity’s hard work.” Her eyes flashed again. “To say nothing of the fact that you took shameful advantage of Rarity’s generosity—”

“She volunteered!” I cried out. “She wanted to make us dresses! You have no right—!”

“And you have no right—!” Luna roared.

“Grandmother,” Twilight said quietly.

Both of us stopped and turned to look at her. I shot Luna a glance; buried somewhere deep under the ice and steel in her gaze, I caught the faintest glimmer of warmth. I huffed indignantly.

“Grandmother,” Twilight repeated, “I know it might not have been right to snub her work like we did…” She pushed her glasses up her nose. “But Rarity was only trying to make sure we were happy with her gifts. That’s all.”

“I understand that, Twilight,” Luna said gently. “And I can appreciate that instinct. However,” she added, turning to me again, “be that as it may, that does not give you license to abuse her generosity like you did. She made you, each of you, beautiful dresses, and you just—”

“Mine was awful!” I cried. “Did you see it?”

Luna turned and shot me a withering glare. “I did,” she said.

I stared back at her blankly. “You did?” I repeated.

She nodded. “She… asked my advice,” she admitted. “I... have something of a reputation as a seamstress, and she wanted to know what colors I would recommend. And I was the one who suggested she use that beautiful burgundy…”

I glared at her. “So it’s your ego talking, then,” I hissed.

She glared right back. “My ego has nothing to do with it,” she said. “You could have worn a pillowcase and I would have been happy for you, if only it had been honestly given and graciously received. And wear a pillowcase you very nearly did,” she added, with a disdainful sniff. “In all earnest, your dress was a travesty. Gray and shapeless—you looked almost like some feral mustang that had stumbled—”

“I looked normal!” I roared. “I don’t want to be some figurehead to be admired—I want to be like everyone else! I want to be able to live my life, the way I want, and not have anyone try to make me be someone I’m not!”

In the sudden, ringing silence, Luna’s gaze hardened. She lowered her head and stared directly into my eyes. I shrank back, but I could not tear my gaze away from hers.

“Princess Celestia,” she said slowly. “Since the moment you took the Peytral, you have been nothing like ‘everyone else.’ Now, you are a Princess. That means your life is not your own. And that you will never be normal again.” My gut twisted, and I felt my wings hanging, hot and heavy, by my side. “You had best make peace with that fact,” Luna said, raising her head again. “The sooner, the better.”

Loonie two, Cece zero.

Luna slowly straightened up, watching my expression. I glared back, counting the ways I wished I could make her suffer.

After a moment, Luna sighed.

“Very well, then,” she said, “If you insist on being defiant, then you are hereby barred from attending the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“What?!” I exploded.

“Grandmother,” Twilight cut in, “I don’t think—”

Luna stood a little taller, glaring down at me. “You do not appreciate the gravity of your situation, Your Highness,” she said, her tones dripping acid. “If you insist on kicking against the spurs, then one must make them too costly to kick. And, since it seems the only thing you care about is spending time with your friends,” she spat, “that is the most obvious screw to turn.”

“But you can’t!” I cried. “Rarity—the dresses—”

“I can’t, can I?” Luna crowed. “Well then, the answer is simple.” She sneered down at me. “Fall in line,” she spat.

“Fall in—?”

Luna grinned wickedly. “Ever since I returned,” she hissed, “You have done nothing but destroy your own position. Your subjects have no respect for you. Your guards have no loyalty. And if you insist on going down this path, Equestria will burn.” Her eyes glittered. “So,” she said, “If you really do want to be like everyone else, prove it and renounce the Peytral.”

Twilight let out a little gasp, and I stared at Loonie in frank astonishment. She simply gazed back with a smug grin on her face.

“Since you appear unable to offer even that courtesy,” Luna continued, “the choice is simple: either cease this nonsense and act like a Princess should, or I will be forced to remove your temptations to misbehave.”

She stood there staring at me, and I felt a fire building in my chest. Who was she to—? What made her think she could just—?

Luna turned away, then stepped to where her dress lay. She picked up her helmet and dusted it off. “If that is all, then,” she said nonchalantly, “I would be much obliged if you would—”

And suddenly, something inside me boiled over.

“You know what, Loonie?” I growled. “Sometimes—sometimes you’re an absolute Nightmare!”

Luna whipped her head around and stared at me, eyes wide, her helmet dropping from her grasp. Twilight clapped her hooves over her mouth. And I took a half-step backwards, my mouth hanging open in horror.

“Great-Aunt Luna,” I croaked, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean—”

“Be silent,” she hissed. I closed my mouth so fast my teeth clicked.
Luna stood there, barely moving, save for her expression. She swallowed several times without speaking as the muscles in her face twitched and spasmed. Half the emotions that I saw there had no names, but those that did—sorrow, rage, disgust, horror—and, yes, even hatred—terrified me.

Finally, after an eternity, she spoke.

“Princess Celestia,” she said, her voice barely audible.

I bowed. “Yes, Your Highness.”

She did not acknowledge my bow. “You will return to Canterlot by the next train. You will not argue this point.”

I nodded, not even daring to glance at Twilight.

“From now until the Gala,” she continued, no trace of emotion in her voice, “you will behave yourself. If you do anything more to compromise the authority and dignity of your office—if you set one hoof out of line—I will order the guards to bar your friends from the Gala, and to detain you in your chambers for the duration.” Finally, she met my gaze, and I quailed. “Is this clear?” she said.

I nodded again. “Yes, Your Highness,” I repeated.

“This will be the last time we discuss this,” she said. She continued to glare at me, and I bowed again, bowed so low my horn nearly touched the floor.

* * *

It was only later, after I had cried all the tears I had left into my pillow, that I realized I had given Luna exactly what she wanted. I had promised her I would act the way she demanded, and had agreed to the punishment that she had set if I failed.

That thought alone almost made me hate myself more than I already did.

Well, I thought, turning over in my bed, screw her. Her, and her ego. She’d got her way—but we both knew that I had won. In fact, she was probably back at her room in Ponyville right now, all alone with her ghosts, bawling her eyes out.

Well. I’d play her game, sure—but only until I could find a way to make her eat her words. And, for all I cared, she could just choke on those tears of hers.

PreviousChapters Next