• Published 14th Jan 2018
  • 6,882 Views, 467 Comments

Celestia XVII - brokenimage321



Being seventeen is hard--especially if you happen to be a Princess.

  • ...
13
 467
 6,882

PreviousChapters Next
Opus 64, Act 1, No. 5, "The Quarrel"

“You see, Cece—can I call you Cece?” he asked.

I tried to keep myself from smiling. I’d barely met this stallion, and already I liked him. “You may,” I said. “What should I call you?”

“Silver. But my friends call be Sill,” Sill said, flashing me a smile. “Like I was saying, Cece, I find myself in a bit of a bind. And… well, I was thinking...” He paused, then closed his mouth and shook his head.

“Go on, please,” I urged him.

He hesitated, then looked away. “No, no,” he murmured shyly, “I couldn’t possibly—it’s just a family matter, it isn’t worth Royal attention....”

I leaned forward a little on my throne. “Please, Sill,” I said, “Let me help.”

And I could help. It was my Royal Duty to help. This was Open Court, after all—the one real duty I had. I would sit on my throne, ponies could come to me for help with their problems, and I would do what I could to help. Nearly everything else in the Palace had some minister or other in charge of it—but helping ponies was my responsibility.

And, of course, ponies as nice as Sill here made that duty all the easier.
Sill sighed deeply. “Well, as I said… I’ve made a slight mistake. You see, months ago, my family and I booked a trip to Playa Caballo, on the Gulf of Mexicolt—you ever been?” he asked eagerly.

I shook my head. “No, I haven’t,” I said.

He sighed. “Oh, you really should. It’s beautiful down there, especially this time of year…” He shook his head suddenly. “Anyways. Though my little ones have been looking forward to this trip for months, my grandmother has suddenly fallen quite ill, and I’m not sure we can get away… she practically raised me, after all, and the doctors say she could go at any time, really…”

He sighed, and my heart broke a little. Here he was, such a good stallion, with his grandmother about to pass...

“And then there’s this vacation package,” he said, almost with disdain. “Nonrefundable, with all the money already down… the money isn’t important to me, of course, it never is, it’s just… I hate to see it go to waste like that…” He looked sidelong at me, a sort of pleading in his eyes. “It would be such a load off my mind if I knew somepony was making good use of all our planning…”

I watched him for a moment, sad, downtrodden, and sighing—and a small thought occurred to me. I sat up a little straighter.

“If it really would help,” I said, “I could take those tickets.”

He looked up at me, awe and gratitude in his eyes. “You… you would?” he said. “Oh, Princess—if you could, that—that would mean the world—”

And then, a shadow fell across the sun.

I looked up. Luna stood, towering over me. She glared down at me, then to Sill, and back to me again. Her eyes were full of disgust, disappointment, and frustration—but even so, she examined my face carefully. I glared back at her, my hackles rising—

Wordlessly, she turned back to Sill. And then, without warning, she smiled.

I stared. Smile wasn’t the word. It wasn’t a smile, it was a grimace that had murdered a smile and was wearing its skin. I watched as she pulled back the corners of her mouth and showed her teeth, like she was following instructions in a manual; it looked less like a genuine grin and more like she was trying to stretch a piece of leather over a coat hanger. As I watched, I only just remembered to keep my mouth closed.

“I am so... very sorry, Mr. Tongue,” she said, in a saccharine-sweet tone that would have wilted flowers, “but I believe Princess Celestia has an... obligation that has slipped her mind.” She stretched the smile another fraction of an inch. “She shall have to decline your offer.”

“Wha—?”I spluttered.

Luna whipped her head around and shot me a freezing glare, looking, for just a moment, like the old battleaxe I’d come to despise—but she turned back to Sill again, and, in an instant, she was giving him the dead-eyed shark smile again. Sill himself glanced at me, his eyes frightened, but Luna took a deliberate step between the two of us, partially blocking my view of him. I was no longer part of the discussion, it seemed.

“Perhaps you could find another use for your arrangements,” she said. “After all, Her Highness can arrange a diplomatic visit to Mexicolt any time she pleases. Not to mention that there are any number of charitable organizations that would be glad of any sort of donation you could make.” Loonie laughed, with a sound like rattling silverware. “That seems like it would be an easier solution, doesn’t it? No need to go through all the trouble of seeking a Royal audience—” Her eyes flashed. “—and no risk whatever of being brought up on corruption charges.”

I sat up straight, eyes wide and staring. Luna was still smiling, but her eyes were hard and sharp. Gone was any sort of pretense: that had been an open threat. And Sill knew it, too; he was trembling, and looked up at Luna with frightened eyes.

“W-what a splendid idea, Highness,” he managed. “I-I’ll go do that right—”

Then, he turned and walked away, with the careful, deliberate gait of someone trying desperately to not break into a dead run.

Luna sighed heavily, then turned away. She took a step towards the exit—but as she passed me, I leaned forward.

“Did you have to do that?” I hissed. “Really?”

Loonie turned back to me, her gaze ice and steel again.

“Apparently,” she hissed back. “However, it is neither the time nor place to discuss such things. Shall we reconvene over tea?”

“No,” I snapped. “I want to know why you’re so damn determined to keep me from having any fun. And I want to know right now.”

Luna shot me a hard look, then stood a little taller and turned to Shining Armor, who stood attentively at the foot of the dais.

“Grandson, if you please,” she said, loud and clear, “The Princess and I should like a recess.”

Shiny nodded smartly, then turned to the line of ponies waiting to see me. “Right, everyone out,” he called, to a chorus of groans. “Open court shall reconvene in—” he shot Loonie a look.

“A half-hour,” she responded.

“A full hour,” I said, louder.

Shiny looked uncertainly at me, then turned back to the crowd. “Sixty minutes,” he called, to a fresh wave of groans. “Please keep your tickets, you’ll need them—”

I stood up and stormed out the back entrance. Luna followed.

We walked in silence until I ducked inside one of the private salons, then plopped myself down on a seat at one end of the table. Luna followed, closing the door behind her. As soon as the latch clicked shut, I snarled.

“What in Tartarus do you think—?”

“Princess Celestia,” Luna roared, and my eyes went wide. I fell silent.

Luna sighed. “Your style of discussion wears on my nerves,” she said, lowering herself into the seat across from me. “So, for both our sakes, please let me speak.”

I closed my mouth, fuming. Luna sighed, then spoke.

“It astonishes me I have to say this aloud,” she said, “but you were about to accept a bribe—”

“I was not!” I cried.

“—wrapped, though it was,” she continued, “in a plea for help. Your conscience is admirable, Your Highness, but, if it’s going to get you into trouble, then—”

“It wasn’t a bribe,” I snapped. “There was no cash involved!”

“Of course not,” she said. “If there were, you would have turned him down. But he was not appealing to your greed, but to your pity. He just needed a little help, that’s all, with his grandmother about to die—” she snorted “—probably for the third or fourth time—”

“You don’t know that,” I snapped.

“You’re right,” she said, “I don’t. But I do know what would have come next: you would have had a wonderful time in Mexicolt, perhaps even with all of your friends tagging along. But, as soon as you came back—perhaps even while you were still away—you would have received a letter from Mr. Silver Tongue asking, if you could, please, sign here on the dotted line. What he would have wanted, I have no idea,” she scoffed. “Perhaps allowing underage spotted owls to purchase cigarillos, or something dreadful of that sort…” she shook her head disdainfully. “Either way, you would have done so without even reading the text, because he’s been oh so kind to you, and such a kind stallion could have nothing but the purest intentions.” She looked down at me. “Am I wrong in any particular point?” she said. “Because, if I am, I would appreciate the correction.”

I glared at her for a moment longer, then sank down in my seat, fuming. “It’s happened before,” I grumbled. “And nothing bad’s happened—”

Loonie’s eyes widened. “You’ve done this before?” she repeated in disbelief. “You mean—this isn’t the first time someone’s offered a gift? A-and you accepted?”

I nodded. “And nothing happened,” I repeated.

Luna growled. “Your continued self-centeredness never ceases to astonish,” she said. “I shall have to arrange a tutor for you in the matter of Governmental Ethics. Perhaps even a remedial tutor.”

I scowled.

“In either case,” she continued, “I was being honest. You have an obligation that would prevent you from taking his offer.”

“What is it?” I snapped.

“I will be taking a short leave of absence next week,” she said. “While I am gone, I need you to—”

“Where will you be going?” I interrupted.

She stuttered to a halt, then sighed. “Ponyville,” she admitted. “The local archaeologists wanted my help in their excavation of the Castle of the Two Sisters. I plan on being gone approximately a week, so, when I leave…”

“You’d like me to come with you,” I interjected.

After all the hell she’d put me through, it was pure joy to see her face in that moment. Her usual cold confidence gave way to puzzled incomprehension, followed swiftly by an expression made of equal parts “how dare you?” and “I knew you would do this.”

“I do not mind your company, of course,” she lied through her teeth, “but this visit is of a personal nature, and I—”

“I understand, of course,” I interrupted again. “And I would hate to disturb you at such a sensitive time.” I smiled. “But I, too, have personal business in Ponyville, and this seems as good a time as any to take care of it. After all,” I added, smirking, “wouldn’t it be less disruptive to Ponyville if we made only one Royal visit, instead of two?”

Luna adjusted her glasses. “Of course,” she admitted. “However, I feel quite strongly that—”

“Oh, I agree,” I said, leaning forward and patting her on the hoof. “Having both Princesses visiting at once would be quite a special experience for Ponyville. That would definitely be quite the boost in morale, especially after all the… unpleasantness of our last visit… such a shame we had to cut it so short... all those Parasprites, you know...”

A muscle under Luna’s eye twitched. I grinned.

“Besides,” I continued, “I’ve been meaning to make this visit for some time. A local seamstress has offered to make my dress for the Grand Galloping Gala, and she needs me there, in person, for my fitting.” I could barely keep myself from giggling. “It always feels so good to patronize local small businesses, doesn’t it? Especially given the economic boom that will come to Ponyville when everyone sees me wearing something she’s made…”

Luna’s gaze hardened. She opened her mouth to speak, but I went for the kill.

“And thank you for being so gracious as to invite me,” I added. “I know you didn’t want to impose, but it really means so much that you would think of me. I only hope that, one day, I’ll be able to return the favor.”

Luna squirmed, and I smirked. Luna’s propriety had its advantages; no way she was going to back down from that sort of praise.

“Very well,” she conceded, anger creeping into the edges of her voice. “I am beginning to see the... advantages in having you along. Just… be sure to speak to your instructors at school and ask them for next week’s work. And I shall inform Raven of our…” she sighed. “...arrangement.”

She stood, then marched stiffly out of the room. As soon as the door clicked shut behind her, I leaned back in my chair, put my back hooves up on the table, and let out a long, satisfied sigh.

Sometimes, it felt pretty darn good to be a winner.

PreviousChapters Next