• Published 14th Jan 2018
  • 6,880 Views, 467 Comments

Celestia XVII - brokenimage321



Being seventeen is hard--especially if you happen to be a Princess.

  • ...
13
 467
 6,880

PreviousChapters Next
Memory: The Day We Arrived

The train rolled to a stop, then let out a long, low hiss of steam. I leaned forward and peered through the gap in the curtains, then sat back and smiled.

“See?” I said. “Ponyville. That wasn’t so bad, was it?”

Twilight pushed her glasses up her nose. She wore the little scowl of defiance I’d come to recognize as a precursor to one of her rants.

“The train ride was not the problem,” she said carefully, as if she was afraid her words would break and shatter. “All my calculations show that, tonight, the stars will align with the moon, and—”

“Oh, come on, Twi,” I said, cutting her off before she could work up a head of steam. “I heard you the first time. Nothing’s gonna happen—we’re just here for the Summer Sun Celebration, then we can go home. That’s it.” I leaned back and put my hooves behind my head. “You’ll be back to your books in two days. I promise.”

The car filled with the heavy, smoldering silence that meant I’d won. I tried not to let Twilight see my grin.

“Speaking of books,” I said, “I have a bit of a surprise for you. But that’ll have to wait. First, I need your help.” I whipped a scroll out of my bags. “We’ve got a lot to check on today,” I said. “I’ll be handling the venue, and you’ll be checking on the other arrangements.” I floated the scroll over to her. “They’re all written down, should be easy.”

Twilight hesitantly took the scroll, then unrolled it.

“Applejack Smith,” she read carefully, “refreshments. Rainbow Dash, w-weather. R-rarity B-belle, d-d-decorations—?”

I glanced up. Twilight’s eyes had stopped running down the page, and her chest was rising and falling in shaky, rapid flutters.

“Re-lax, Twilight,” I said. “I just need you to check and make sure that they’ve got things under control, like they promised they would. I’ve even told them to expect you, so no problems, right? All you gotta do is go meet some new ponies. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.”

Twilight paled. “T-t-they’re expecting me?” she blurted, her voice rising an octave or two. “C-couldn’t you do it? Or Raven, or s-someone?”

No, because you need to get out of your shell a little. Be good for you.

“No,” I said aloud, “because I told them to expect you. Don’t want to inconvenience them any more than we already are, do we?” I stood, then draped my saddlebags over my shoulders. “I can send a guard with you, if you like.”

Twilight stood reflexively. “ ‘S fine,” she mumbled, picking up her bag. “I’ll just…” She hesitated, then turned and walked towards the door of the compartment.

“Thanks, Twi,” I said, “You’re the best.”

She looked over her shoulder at me, her eyes wide. Through the sunlight shining on her glasses, I couldn’t tell if that was anger or fear that I saw.

PreviousChapters Next