• Published 11th Jan 2018
  • 6,262 Views, 4,649 Comments

House of the Rising Sunflower - kudzuhaiku



Hard work is its own reward, and competence can be one's ultimate undoing.

  • ...
28
 4,649
 6,262

PreviousChapters Next
The ship will not hold together

Grey clouds reflected a searing, eye-dazzling brightness that left Sundance squinting as he tried to get a better look at the approaching airship. It was long, broad, and its profile didn’t match any ship he knew. Visitors were coming to the barony, and strangers by the looks of it. Everypony worked at a frantic pace to finish whatever needed to be done, because the afternoon held the promise of rain. A new patch of radishes were put in the ground, something that happened every few weeks. Bonk and Runt made short work of the radish planting and didn’t seem to mind the work.

The ship drifted closer.

“Milord, a moment bending your ear if I may—”

“Gothcruz, you are not one of the oldtimers.”

“Milord, this is important. Please. A moment.”

Eyes almost rolling, Sundance let heave a resigned sigh and then gave his full attention to the stout zurro. “Alright Gothcruz. What’s on your mind?”

“It’s Gisela, Milord. She’s a treasure of great value.”

“This I already knew. She’s a cute one, Gothcruz.”

“No, Milord. You don’t understand. Allow me to explain.”

“Very well, Gothcruz. I’m listening.”

A chilly-warm breeze blew from the south and tugged upon the ears of many.

“Milord, she comes from Fancy. Tell me, Milord, what do you know of Fancy?”

“Not much at all, Gothcruz.”

“As a lorekeeper, allow me to enlighten you, Milord.” The zurro took a deep breath, smiled, and struck an erudite pose. “The Miracle of Hearthfire never happened in fancy, and because of this, the three tribes were never brought together. They do not have the unity that Equestria enjoys—which likely contributed to the collapse of their nation. All that said, a unique covenant did form… a most curious covenant between earth ponies and griffons.”

This got Sundance’s attention—all of it.

“The pact is ancient, though not quite as old as the Covenant of the Three Tribes. Nopony is certain how it happened, or when it happened, only that it happened. The earth ponies had their farms, and the griffons fulfilled the functions of both unicorns and pegasus ponies. Mind you, the earth ponies were not kept as slaves, or pets… these griffons were fierce egalitarians. This was and still is a pact among equals. The griffons do the things that earth ponies can’t do because they lack fine manipulation and they protect the earth ponies so that the land can be tilled.

“It is a shared existence between equals. Their young are raised together and there are hippogriffs… in fact, hippogriffs are most common in this part of the world. And Gisela comes from this culture. Surely that will be a boon for us. She will grow up and pass this culture along to her offspring. We can graft that culture unto our own. I foresee good things coming of this.”

“She’s too young,” Sundance said to the somewhat excited zurro. “I mean, I’m sure she remembers some of it, but she won’t grow up steeped in that culture. She’ll grow up in our culture.”

“I will make sure she remembers,” Gothcruz said as his barrel puffed out. “She will not forget. I will nurture this tiny flame until it is a roaring fire. She will remember. She will remember!”

“You’re passionate about this, aren’t you?” asked Sundance.

“Very much so. It will be an excellent test of my skills as a lorekeeper. Twilight Sparkle frowns upon the assimilation that happens in modern Equestria. She feels that other nations and other cultures have something to contribute to our own. It might take a lifetime, but I have finally found a worthy project.”

“Well then”—nodding, Sundance offered up a sincere smile to Gothcruz—“don’t let that flame go out. Secure our future, Gothcruz. See what you can do about establishing this covenant in our barony. Any future griffon strays I bring home, I want you to work on them as well.”

“I would be honoured,” the zurro replied.

“It seems to me that we’re isolated enough to make this work,” Sundance remarked. “At least for now. This isolation might actually work to our advantage. We can let ideas like these take root. I think.”

“That seems reasonable, Milord. Things are bound to change and evolve over time, but we can influence how future generations develop.”

Reaching around with his wing, Sundance stroked his chin and had himself a good think right on the spot. For some reason, he thought of his mother, and the city of Baltimare. His attitudes about diamond dogs were learned from his mother, and from the city around him. No such preconceived notions existed here. At least, not yet. What he had was relative isolation and a gaggle of impressionable little ones—whose thoughts could be influenced.

“Gothcruz…”

“Yes, Milord?”

“Could you concoct a bit of lore?”

“What are you asking, Milord?”

“We have Bonk and Runt…”

“You’re asking me to…”

Sundance nodded.

The zurro turned solemn. “This could have far-reaching effects. I was so excited about Gisela that I didn’t even think of… well… whatever it is that you’re thinking of right now. Much could be done. This would be a great work. Not just keeping a culture alive… but adapting it and spreading it to others.”

“There are diamond dogs who crave honour and virtue. I know this because of Corduroy. We could… we could create a culture… craft honour and virtue. I think. I wonder what Corduroy would say about this. What about you, Gothcruz… up for a challenge?”

“You want me to draw upon an existing culture and invent an entirely new one?” the zurro asked.

“You said it yourself… nopony knows when or how it happened. It just did. So somepony probably made it happen. Or some griffon. Clearly, a thinking, thoughtful mind made something happen and it stuck. Is there no reason why we can’t do the same, Gothcruz?”

“Princess Celestia was wise to put you in charge… I only thought of the immediate solution.” Eyes narrowed, the zurro’s expression became one of intense thoughtfulness.

“Make it happen, Gothcruz. Do whatever it takes.”

“It will be done, Milord. Excuse me, but I must go and collect my thoughts. Perhaps some meditation is an order.”

As the zurro departed, Sundance resumed his watchful vigil, and kept an eye upon the incoming ship. Up to this point, the isolation seemed like an insurmountable obstacle, but now he saw that it could be an asset. Of course, the isolation could not last. The outside world would creep in. With each new resident, a little more of the outside world would make its influence felt. He wasn’t certain of how this might turn out, but he was hopeful. Yes, he was most hopeful.

Refreshed, invigourated, he prepared to meet his guests…


The airship was massive and ancient looking. It had also seen better days. The nacelle was mostly patchwork, the hull was a mish-mash of planks of wood and steel plates, and black soot pooted from the rear of the enormous craft. It was rather amazing that the scrapheap stayed in the air at all—though anything was theoretically possible with magic. Upon closer inspection as the airship drew near, Sundance could see that the hull sagged; there was a visible curve to the keel of the ship along the bottom. While it wasn’t quite a banana, it wasn’t a straight line.

Then, Sundance noticed a familiar face peering down at him from over the rail.

“Tally-ho, Baron Sundance!”

“Turmeric, should I come up there to get you? It doesn’t look safe!”

“It’s a bit scary,” the unicorn hollered in return, “but I was promised that she’ll hold together!”

Just as these words were spoken, an enormous metal plate dislodged from the hull and fell down to the earth below. Several yards long, and maybe a yard or two in width, it floated down in much the same way a leaf didn’t, landed corner first in the soft soil, and then stuck up out of the ground like a rusty, dented tombstone. Sundance eyeballed it with astonished concern.

“Save me, handsome prince!” Turmeric shouted.

Without a word, Sundance’s wings snapped out from his sides, and he was airborne in an instant…


“How embarrassing,” a rather greenish unicorn said as Sundance landed upon the deck. “The old dame is showing her age, I reckon. She’s a pre-war battle frigate. Though now she’s a brewery.”

The deck was relatively new looking, and didn’t appear to be terribly dangerous. Beside the unicorn mare was a griffoness with cloudy eyes, and there was an earth pony colt next to the old griffoness. Sundance folded in his wings as Turmeric approached, and his stomach lurched as the ship heaved and groaned beneath his hooves. As scary as it was, Turmeric was in good spirits.

“Sundance!” Turmeric sprang forward and gingerly crossed the deck. “Sundance, this is Hoppy… she’s the unicorn. Grandmother Growler is the griffoness, and the colt’s name is Wort. He’s Hoppy’s son. Hoppy just so happens to be one of your anonymous investors. One of the nice ponies who helped us get out of debt. Now she seeks a return on her investment.”

“That I do!” the cheerful mare cried.

“What can I do for you?” Sundance asked as the ship shuddered once more.

“Well,” Turmeric replied, “she’s looking for a place to homestead and set up her business. She’s a brewer, Sundance, and she flew from place to place, securing hops and malt and barley and whatever else goes into beer, and then flew into the city to sell it. But, uh, as you can see, well, uh—”

“The old gal is falling apart,” Hoppy said. “I wanted a safe place to raise my son. So no cities. Land is expensive round these parts. A bit too expensive. So I took all my savings that I was gonna use to renovate my ship, and I invested. I understand you have some nice plots of land out here. And lots of geothermally active vents. Smells like ass… just as I had hoped.”

“Typically, that is not a desired feature,” Sundance remarked.

“It is for a brewer,” Hoppy replied with a broad smirk. “All that free heat. Good for brewing. When I think of the money I’ll save, it makes me wet!”

The old griffoness rolled her milky eyes, sighed, and shook her head from side to side.

“I ain’t asking for much. Just a place to set up shop. My wants and needs are simple. I need a suitable location with lots of vents. A hot spot. I need access to fresh water. Oh, and I need land enough to grow all the stuff I need to make beer. And labourers. Once I have a spot to put down, I plan to establish myself, get myself a transport ship, and then sell beer and spirits to Canterlot. They don’t mind the markup.”

A transport ship?

“You have my attention and my interest,” Sundance said to the obnoxiously cheerful mare.

“See, Grandmother, I told you this would work. Not all ponies are stingy skinflints. I think we’ll be fine.”

The old griffoness sighed once more, her beak opened, but then she maintained her silence. Sundance, rather glad that he was not a stingy skinflint, now wondered how a pony had a griffoness grandmother. He heard the sounds of the old griffoness’ claws tapping on the deck and he watched as the small colt shuffled closer to his grandmother.

“So, Baron… can we do business?” asked Hoppy.

“We can,” he replied. “As just so happens, I am in need of homesteaders.”

“Need a wife?” the boisterous mare asked. “I has me a fertile valley you might be interested in.” She winked, and then her tongue flicked out of the corner of her mouth to lick her lips. “I understand you’re not married. As it turns out, I’m not married either. But I’m open to an agreeable business arrangement.”

“I’m not.” He felt a trickle of sweat beneath his wings and Sundance couldn’t imagine being this forward about such things. “I’m not married, that is. But I am open to a business agreement.”

Grandmother Growler glaringly glared in his direction with a sightless stare.

“We should discuss this over tea.” Neck straight, Sundance assumed a stiff and starchy posture. “When did you plan to get set up?”

“Well”—the rather greenish unicorn paused for a few seconds while her eyes glittered mischievously—“today would be good. Today would be fine. As it turns out, I only bought enough coal to get me here. See, I figured that if you said no, and I was stuck here for a time, I might be able to use my charms and wiles to change your mind. But if I can stay today, that spares me a lot of trouble. Besides… I’m not sure the old gal could make the return trip. That knock in the engine is making everything come apart.”

As if to drive home her point, the whole ship shivered, and the groan of metal fatigue sounded a lot like whalesong. The old gal was dying, Sundance realised, and the barony would be her place of final rest. A part of him felt sad, and he had no idea why he suddenly mourned an inanimate object that he’d never even seen before today. She’d done her duty right up until the end. Held together for one final journey. It was such an odd feeling to have, this peculiar sadness.

“Welcome to the Sunfire Barony,” he said as he spread his wings. “We hope that you make yourselves at home. Come, let us discuss this in a safer location. There’s a mooring ring atop the belltower. I’ll get you secured.”

“Thanks, Hunky!”

“Sundance… when you go”—Turmeric’s eyes were pleading—“take me with you!”

Author's Note:

Sorry, shippers. :trollestia:

PreviousChapters Next