• Published 21st Jan 2018
  • 1,267 Views, 15 Comments

Equestria Girls-Manehattan University - Burning_Heart



The Gang from the Equestria Girl movies are about to take on their toughest challenge yet, College!

  • ...
4
 15
 1,267

Ch. 9-How Sunset meet Burning

Let's travel back to a time when a certain boy and girl first meet. One night a boy with orange and yellow hair is running down the street trying to get home, "Man lessons went on longer then it usually does, just because that new kid never picked up a guitar before doesn't mean the rest of us should suffer. Stupid Flash" yelled the boy. He begins to slow down before stopping in front of Canterlot High School. "No that's not right, I mean he was new to playing after all," said the boy. He turns to look at the high school, "I mean I start high school next year, I can't be childish forever now can I?"

But the blink of an eye, the statue in front of the school begins to glow and one side of it starts to get wavy. The boy starts to panic yelling, "What in the world is going on here!" He looks and sees that something is trying to come out of the statue and he goes to hide in the bushes. The figure final comes out and it's a girl with red and golden colored hair, "So it's true, there really is another world on the other side of the mirror." The boy looks at the girl and starts to blush, quietly saying, "Oh my gosh she's cute." He tries to move in the bush to get a better look but snaps a branch and the girl hears the snap. "Who's there, show yourself," yelled the girl looking at the direction of the boy. He shoots up out of the bushes saying, "Please don't do anything, I didn't see anything." He stands there not moving with his eyes closed tightly with his hands held in the air. With nothing happening, he opens up his eyes and sees the girl just standing there.

"Hey you over there, I have some questions for you," said the girl. She starts to walk over to the boy but trips and falls over.

"Oh my gosh are you okay," said the boy. He starts to walk over to her and the girl yells at him, "Don't move!"

She tries to get back up but keeps falling over. The boy couldn't watch anymore and goes to help the girl up. He puts her arm around him and lefts the girl up. "What are you doing, don't touch me," yelled the girl.

"You need help okay," said the boy. The girl didn't say anything and the boy walks her over to a nearby bench. He sets her down and grabs a handkerchief and bottle of water from his backpack, wets the handkerchief and cleans the scraps she got when she fell. She sits there quite while he cleans her wounds. "You said you had some questions right," asked the boy.

"Yes," said the girl.

"Okay, but I have some questions too, I'll answer your and you answer mine, deal," said the boy.

"Deal," said the girl.

"Then, in that case, let's get to know each other, my name's Burning Heart. Whats your name?"

"Sunset Shimmer."

____________________

"And that's how I ended up here," said Sunset.

"Wow, so what your saying is that your a magical talking pony who was the student of your world's leaders but because she wouldn't teach you about this world, you ran through this portal and ended up here," said Burning.

"Ya, that's about it. And this is earth, your a human and this world has no magic right," asked Sunset.

"Right. You know if I didn't see you come out of the school statue, I'd say you were crazy. So what are you going to do now," asked Burning?

"Whats it to you anyway, we just met," asked Sunset.

"Well that's because you said you're not going back right so how about you come stay at my place, I'm sure my sister and grandma would love to have you over," said Burning.

Sunset starts to think in her head,This is perfect, now I don't have to sleep on the streets. And if something better comes along I'll just ditch him,"Sure but that doesn't make us friends, I don't do friends alright."

"Sure thing. Well let's go Sunny," said Burning.

With a raised eyebrow, Sunset asked, "Who's Sunny?"

"You are, by the do you need help walking since well, you used to be a pony and all," ask Burning.

"Um sure thanks," said Sunset.

After showing her a few pointers on how to walk like a human, they begin to walk to Burning Hearts home.

____________________

They make it to Burning's home but stop at the front door. "Okay Sunny listen, let me do the talking. I don't think it would be a good idea to say your from another world," said Burning.

But she doesn't say anything. He doesn't think anything about it and opens the front door. "Grandma, Rosie I'm home, sorry for being late," said Burning.

A young girls voice can be heard coming towards them, "Welcome home Burnie, what took you so long." She stops and sees Sunset standing behind him. "Grandma, Burnie brought a girl home!"

"Rosie shut up," said Burning.

"And she really cute too."

Now an elderly woman's voice can be heard coming towards them, "What was that dear." The Elderly woman sees Burning and Sunset standing behind them, "Burning Heart do you know what time it is, why didn't call to let us know where you were at. And who is this girl."

Burning, in a panic, says, "Sorry about that grandma, I would have called but my phone is dead. And about the girl, I can explain." He turns around and continues, "Let me introduce you, this is..." but stops talking after seeing tears falling from Sunset Shimmer's eyes.

The elder lady walks over to Sunset asking, "What the matter dear." Sunset then bends down and start to bawl, trying to speak, "I'm so s-sorry, but my mom and dad, they *hic* they abandoned me saying they didn't need a failure of a daughter like me. So *hic* I ran away and Burning found me and said I could stay here. I don't have any other family and I-I don't want to be alone."

The girl and an elderly woman, with tears in their eyes, bend down to hug the crying Sunset, while Burning stands there completely dumbfounded.

After some time has passed, everyone moves to the living room and Burning introduced everyone, "Grandma, Rosie, this is Sunset Shimmer. Sunset this is my sister, Rosebud, and our grandmother, Vanilla Swirl."

"It's nice to meet you both, sorry about earlier," said Sunset.

"Don't worry about it," said Rosebud.

"She right and you can stay for as long as you want dear," said Vanilla Swirl.

"Thank you so much, ma'am," said Sunset.

"Now don't start that ma'am stuff now, just call me grandma like these two. Rosie can you help Sunset get settled in," said Vanilla Swirl.

"Sure thing grandma, come on Sunny let's get you upstairs," said Rosebud.

____________________

After some time has passed, Sunset is relaxing in her new room on her new bed, suddenly a knock on the door can be heard outside with Burning asking, "Hey can I come in really quick?"

"Sure whatever, it's your house anyway," said Sunset. Burning opens the door and sees that Sunset has changed into pajamas that Rosebud let her borrowed, "So what do you want anyway?"

Burning looks to make sure that no one is around and closes the door. "What was that all about downstairs," asked Burning.

"Oh that little act from earlier," said Sunset.

"Yes, that! Look I know that your situation is complicated but don't do that to my family alright, I hate lying to them," said Burning.

"What are going to do, you going to kick me out then," said Sunset.

Burning, with a puzzled look on his face, says, "Why would I do something like that."

Sunset, with an equally puzzled look, was about to say something but stops and sits there quietly. After a minute of silence has passed, Sunset finally speaks up and asked, "Why did help me out anyway, you don't even know me."

"Because you needed help," said Burning. But Sunset just raised an eyebrow at that response. "I mean is it wrong to help someone in need of it."

"Whatever," said Sunset. She grabs one of the pillows on the bed and goes to lay down hugging the pillow she grabbed and rest her head on the other pillow on the bed.

"Well I let you go to bed now, you must be exhausted after today so goodnight," said Burning. Sunset just lays there not saying anything. "By the way, your acting was impressive."

After hearing Burning leaves the room, the silent Sunset begins to cry and quietly, in a soft-spoken voice, says, "Who said it was all an act." She lies there thinking that just yesterday she was in Equestria, she was studying magic with her mentor, Princess Celestia, the only pony who she felt the closest to and considered her like a mother. And just today was abandoned by her mentor, wouldn't be able to study magic anymore and was forced to leave the only place she thought of as home. Before she even released it, she had cried herself to sleep.

____________________

The next morning, Sunset sits at the dining room table with everyone else eating a plate of pancakes that Vanilla Swirl had made. "I hope you don't mind pancakes, Sunset," asked Vanilla Swirl.

"I just surprised that both worlds have pancakes," said a quiet Sunset.

"What was that Sunny," asked Rosebud.

"Oh, it's nothing. There great by the way Mrs. Swirl" said Sunset.

"I'm glad to hear it, dearie," said Vanilla. "So what is it you kids have planned today."

"Well it's Saturday, so I was thinking of helping Sunset get settled in," said Burning.

A sad looking Rosebud says, "I wish I could help out but I already made plans today with Bunny today."

"Bunny?" asked Sunset.

"Oh, I'm talking about my girlfriend, Cinnamon Bun. Is that alright Burnie?"

"Hey don't worry about it Rosie, you go and enjoy yourself," said Burning.

"Thanks, bro and sorry Sunny," said Rosebud.

"Hey don't worry about," said Sunset.

A couple of hours have passed and Rosebud starts to head out the door to go her date, "I'm heading out everyone."

"Go have a good time dear," said Vanilla.

After seeing his sister off, Burning heads upstairs where Sunset is waiting for him in his room. He enters his room and finds Sunset look at the books, movies, and his guitar. "I know these are books and all but why are they backward," asked Sunset.

"Oh those are called manga, they're like comic books but they come from another country called Japan," said Burning.

"Weird. So your sister has a girlfriend huh," said Sunset.

"Ya why you don't have a problem with that do you," asked Burning.

"Why would I have a problem, it's common where I come from," said Sunset.

"Interesting, so everyone is pretty open with themselves from your world, cause there some people who still judge other because of stuff like this," said Burning with a sad look in his eyes. "I was wondering, do you want to try and get into school?"

"Why would want to do that," asked Sunset.

"Well it would look weird if a teenage girl wasn't going to school right," said Burning.

"*huff* fine whatever," said Sunset.

"Awesome I'm sure grandma can help since she used to be a teacher. She even helped to current principle get her position."

"Oh wow, that's so cool," said a sarcastic Sunset.

"But enough about that, are you getting used to this world yet?"

Sunset shakes her head saying, "No, I'm still trying to get used to these."

"Hands?" asked Burning.

"Ya, hands."

Burning begins to think of a way that could help her out and comes up with an idea. He goes to grab a guitar of his and hands it to sunset but she gives him a confused look and asked, "What am I supposed to do with this?"

"I'm going to show you how to play the guitar," said Burning.

"Why," asked Sunset.

"Learning to play the guitar can help you get used to your new hands and can help learn hand-eye coordination," said Burning.

Sunset just gives him a shrug and says, "Sure whatever." Sunset grabs the guitar and holds it in place. Burning sits across from her so that he can show her what to do, "Okay so let start with the basics."

____________________

Four Months Later

It's been months since Sunset Shimmer came to earth through the portal from Equestria and has been living with Burning Heart and his family. As time passed by, the nonfriendly Sunset Shimmer that only Burning Heart knows about seem to be opening up more and more. Burning opens the door to his house after another day of guitar practice. "Hey I'm home," yelled Burning.

"Welcome back Burnie," said Sunset. "Granny Swirl and Rosie went to get some groceries. They said they'ed be back shortly." After hearing her out, Burning starts to giggle. "Whats so funny?"

"You know what Sunny you've changed a lot you know that," said Burning.

"What do you mean," asked Sunset.

"Well when you first got here, even though I was to only one who saw it, you only seemed to act friendly but you've started opening up more. It's really nice," said Burning.

Sunset, trying to stay calm but blushing, says, "W-well I can't study magic anymore and I needed to learn how to live in this world and I owe it all to you. Plus you did teach me how to play the guitar, so thanks, Burnie."

Burning, who also starts to blush after seeing Sunset's cute smile, says, "Hey I'm just surprised you picked up on playing so quickly. So since I don't have school tomorrow, do you to hang out. Unless you have plans already."

"No, I don't have anything planned so sure, I'd love to hang out."

"Hey Sunny we're back, could you help us bring the food in," yelled Rosebud who along with Vanilla Swirl who are back from shopping.

"Sure thing," yelled Sunset. "Come on, your helping out too, Burnie."

"Ya I'll be right there," said Burning. After Sunset left the room, Burning gives a mid-air fist bump thinking,"Awesome, that takes care of phase one."

____________________

After spending the whole day together, Sunset and Burning start to head back home since it's gotten dark outside. "I hope you had a good time Sunny," asked Burning.

"Are you kidding, of course, I did. After all, I got to go spend today with my first friend in this world," said Sunset.

"Haha that's rich hearing from you, since when we first meet you told me you didn't want to be friends," said Burning.

"Well what can I say, you were very persistent about it," said Sunset.

"I'm just glad it paid off cause there's a surprise waiting for you at home," said Burning. He reaches for his phone and sends a message which made Sunset raise an eyebrow.

They reach the house only to notice that all the light are all turned off, "Are Granny Swirl and Rosie asleep already," asked Sunset.

"Ya that's weird, let's try to be quiet going in," said Burning. Sunset nods to agree.

Burning unlocks the front door and he and Sunset start to tip-toe into the house. When suddenly the lights come on surprising Sunset, she covers eyes from the sudden lights. But what she heard next made her even more surprised.

"Happy Birthday, Sunset."

After her eyes adjust, Sunset sees a birthday cake, a banner, and balloons that all read Happy Birthday. So then she asked them, "But how did you know."

"Well you let it slip last week that today is your birthday dear," said Vanilla Swirl.

"So we decided to throw you a party," said Rosebud.

"Here's your present, Sunset. It's your own guitar," said Burning

Sunset takes the present and its a guitar and says, "I just...I just can't believe you did this all for me."

"Of course we would Sunset. Your practically family now," said Burning.

Those words hit harder then she would ever know because instead of smiling, Sunset starts to cry. Everyone moves in to give her a group hug which caused her to cry because, at this moment, she has never felt happier.

Later that, Sunset woke up filling thirsty and decided to head downstairs to grab a glass of water. She makes it to the bottom of the stairs and sees Vanilla Swirl, asleep in her chair with the TV on. She goes to turn the TV off and Vanilla, who just woke up, says, "Huh, is that you Ivory?"

"No Granny Swirl, it's me, Sunset. I was trying not to wake you up, sorry if I did."

"Oh that's okay Sunny, I should be going to bed anyway." Vanilla gets up off of her chair and starts to head up the stairs but Sunset asked her, "Who's Ivory?" Vanilla stops and turns around and goes to sit down on the couch, motioning Sunset to come sit next to her. Sunset goes to sit next to her and hear what Vanilla has to say.

"Ivory was my son dear."

"Was? What happened to him?"

With a look of sadness, Vanilla tells her, "A few years ago, he passed away in a car accident."

"Oh, I'm sorry for your loss."

"Why thank you, but I fell the worse for those two upstairs sleeping."

"What do you mean?"

"Well here's the thing, I'm sure you've noticed but the kids are very close to each other and were very close to their dad but not so much their mom, she worked away from home a lot that it was mostly so when he died, it hit those two very hard."

Sunset started to look down, thinking about the close relationship she used to have with her mother figure, Princess Celestia.

"When Rosebud found out she was attracted to girls, she was afraid that her dad and brother would be disappointed in her, but Ivory told her that they were proud of her for telling them and that they'll love her no matter what. And Burning always had a fixation on those animes and mangas because Ivory used to tell him about the shows he watched as a youngin, and when he told Ivory that he wanted to play guitar, Ivory told him if can save up to buy one he would let him take lessons"

"Wow, he sounded like a great guy."

"He was and I'll always be proud of him. But then around over a year ago, their mother got remarried to this rich snob so that she wouldn't have to work anymore and allowed him to run their home. It turned out he homophobic and told Rosebud that if she didn't become normal, he was going to throw her out of the house, well I sure you can guess but Burning wasn't going to have any of that."

"Man, that guy sounds like a real jerk."

"Oh he's something alright, but when they went to their mother she told them that they should be more respectful of him, so when they told me about him, I talked to both of them and told them they could stay with me, but what he said made my blood boil."

"Why, what did he say?"

"If those two want to spit in my face after trying to help make their lives better, then let them leave."

Sunset sit there stunned after hearing that story, "Wow, I've never heard of anyone like that in Equestria."

"What was that dear."

"Oh, it was nothing. But I have to ask, why did you tell me all this?"

"Well isn't it obvious." Vanilla reaches over to Sunset in to bring her in to give her a hug, "Your family now, so have a right to know."

But this story isn't meant to have a happy ending because close to a year after she came through the portal Sunset's world is about to change for the worse.

____________________

One Year Later

With practice over today, Burning is walking home with Sunset but they stop at the statue in front of Canterlot High School. "Hey Sunny, can you believe it's been a year since you showed you showed up," asked Burning

"I know, it feels so surreal to think about," said Sunset.

She starts to stair at the statue, she touches the part of the of the statue where she came through last year but nothing happens.

"Do you wish you could go back," asked Burning.

Sunset removes her hand from the statue and says, "No not anymore. After all, I have you three now," said Sunset.

A smile forms on Burning's face and says, "I'm happy to hear that, well let's get home."

The two start to head home. As they start to get closer to home, they see what looks like flashing lights up ahead. As they reach home can see where those days were coming from, they were coming from an ambulance and the ambulance is parked in front of their house. Burning's eye begins to widen and his head starts to race and before he knows it, he starts running to his house. "Burnie, wait," yelled Sunset. But he didn't hear her. He makes it inside and sees his sister crying on the couch in the living room and runs to her.

"Rosie, what happened," said Burning. Rosebud look at her brother with tear filled eyes. Sunset makes it to the house and asks, "Hey Burnie, whats going on."

Rosebud tries to talk but can't. Then a voice can be heard from upstairs and it tells them, "I'm sorry Burning Heart, but your grandmother is dead, I'm truly sorry."

Sunset and Burning look up to see who said that, and it's a man in a fancy business suit. Sunset looks back at Burning and sees a look of anger on his face.

"What are you doing here," asked Burning with tears in his eyes

"Burnie, who is this," asked Sunset.

"Yes Burning, answer the young girl," asked the man.

"ANSWER ME!"

"Please don't fight," yelled a crying Rosebud.

Sunset goes to hold and comfort Rosebud with tear starting to form in her eyes. "Sorry, where are manners, young lady. My name is Tailored Made and I'm young Burning and Rosebud's Father."

"You are not our father," yelled Burning.

Tailored Made then just glairs at Burning, "Honestly, your grandmother just died, show some respect," said Tailored Made. "Don't worry about a thing, I'll take care of the funeral arrangements, I would suggest you two start packing because after tomorrow you two will be come back to live with your mother and me."

"What about Sunset."

"Who now."

"Her." Burning then points at Sunset on the couch, "She lives here too you know. She's our family," said Burning.

Tailored Made turns to look at Sunset and says, "I'm sorry but I'm not about to open up the doors to my house to some nothing girl. She isn't welcomed." He heads out the door, leaving the house in silent and Sunset is left there speechless.

"I'm so sorry Burnie, I tried to call mom but she would answer," said a crying Rosebud. "So I called him and I said he had business in town and came right away. I'm so sorry.

But he didn't talk, nobody talked for a while. Burning and Rosebud could only cry over the loss of their grandmother and Sunset sat there, tears coming down her eyes, not only thinking about Vanilla Swirl but of something else.

Later that night, Sunset is in her room in silence until she hears a knock on her door. "Sunny, it's Burnie can I come in."

"Sure."

Burning opens her door. Sunset looks over and sees that Burning is by himself, "I thought Rosie would be with you," asked Sunset.

"She's in her room right now, she just broke up with Cinnamon Bun," said Burning. But Sunset didn't say anything.

"Listen, Sunset..." suddenly Sunset rises out of her bed and starts yelling.

"No you listen, I spent my whole life not welcomed anywhere! My parents left me because they didn't want me and I had to work hard to get accepted into Princess Celestia's school for gifted unicorn just so I could have a roof over my head! When she made her personal pupil, I finally felt I belonged somewhere but when I showed I had more ambition than other, that I could be more then what I am, she was going to throw me out on to the street, so I ran away before she had a chance to throw me away! That stunt I pulled last year, that wasn't an act, that was real and now I'm going to be abandoned again!"

"Why are you yelling at me for, in case you forgot me and Rosie just lost our Grandmother and don't have a choice but to move back with our step-father and mother!"

"Well, I'm so sorry that you get to have a place you can call home!"

"That wasn't home and it's never going to be home! Look, I get that you feel mad."

"No, you don't know how I feel, I don't even belong here. I'm a pony from another world that got here by accident. All because Princess Celestia didn't care enough about me to teach more magic. Sure you may have had a dad who loved you but both my parents didn't love me and now nobody does."

A voice can be heard outside of Sunset's room saying, "But we love you." Sunset and Burning both looked to see Rosebud, outside the hallway. "And now because of that, when I get left behind tomorrow it's going to hurt even more, so just leave me alone." But Burning is trying to say, "Sunny, Listen..."

"I SAID LEAVE ME ALONE!" So both Burning and Rosebud leave Sunset's room and go to their own rooms.

The next morning, Burning and Rosebud knock on Sunset's bedroom door, but no response. They open the door and find her bed empty except for her guitar she got for her birthday with a note on top of it. Burning picks up the note and reads it out loud,I'm sorry.

____________________

In the Principal's office of Canterlot High, Sunset Shimmer is inside talking to the principal of the school who is a tall woman with long light blue, pink, purple and green hair. "I understand your situation Miss Shimmer, I would be willing to let you stay at a small apartment under my name but only because I owe a lot to Miss Vanilla Swirl. If you can prove that you can keep up your studies. If you can do that we won't have any problem."

"Thank you, Principal Celestia," said Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset leaves the office and heads down the hallway but instead of being warm and kind, she has now become cold and cruel, not allowing herself to be close to anyone again or to be hurt by anyone again.

"Well that was easy, out all people why did the principal have to be her of all people. Oh well, it doesn't matter, All I need to do is wait for the moment I can go back to Equestria and gain enough power to rule just like I always wanted, I just need the right moment do so, then I won't be worthless in anyone eyes ever again."

Sunset suddenly thought of an image in the back of her head, she became sad for a minute but then she went back to her new cruel self but the image didn't go away, for it was an image of her last birthday spending time with her human family.

Sunset then says trying not to cry, "I don't need anyone anymore, not family and I don't need friends."

But somewhere in another world, there was a was a young purple unicorn reading a book in a park, a book about a mare in the moon.