• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 1,895 Views, 595 Comments

Princess Essenta - Pone_Heap



Long, long before Equestria, ponies in that land lived in a number of smaller kingdoms. Princess Essenta, the first daughter of the Dale, sets out to prove herself when her father, the king, sends her on a poorly conceived "suicide mission".

  • ...
28
 595
 1,895

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: Separation

Wicked World Arc

Loress stood for more than a few seconds, gawking at the little patch of ground from which Dechaa and Delia had gone poof; it still smoldered, tiny tendrils of smoke curling about.

“…Delia…?” the Terran heard the shock in her own voice and was more afraid.

The pretty mare felt a chill down her spine as she tottered backwards, “Wilka…?”

All she heard were the jungle creatures going about their non-sentient business.

A murmur had Loress jumping as if goosed; Zyra was rocking about on her haunches, looking very ill.

Loress ran to her, “Zyra!”

The mage’s eyes were filmed over, in a stupor, and she fell towards Loress; the mare just managed to catch her friend.

“Zyra!”

The mage, eyes somewhere far away, muttered something.

“Zyra, are you okay?! What’s happening?!”

The little unicorn heard that; her face swiveled to Loress’s, “Gone… Dechaa went there… called there… Somepony’s suffering…!

Zyra crumpled against Loress, sobbing and limp; Loress was positive the mage wasn’t aware of anything, appearing as if in a trance.

Loress, having embraced her friend, looked fearfully into their surroundings; feeling alone, she closed her eyes and held Zyra close.

“…Loress…?”

Loress’s eyes shot to her left; Wilka was creeping out of her hidey-hole in the dense landscape.

Wilka froze; her eyes widened as she looked around in terror, “Where are Dechaa and Delia?”

Loress did a take; Wilka hadn’t seen?

The words came from the Terran's mouth, as if she was acknowledging the weather was nice, “They teleported away.”

Loress’s own words sounded hollow.

Wilka halted, “They’re… gone?”

Loress’s mind began to work… Yes… She recalled seeing Wilka dive into the forest not a moment earlier. Eyeing the tiny Pegasus, dread apparent in her eyes, Loress felt a brief contempt.

Her mind was working but not all that well; she felt contempt for Wilka because she ran off, even for a moment. It didn’t make a lot of sense to her and she tried to clear her thoughts, but the thought was there.

“Yes… they’re gone…” Loress answered harshly.

If Loress felt afraid at being “alone”, the little Pegasus fell apart. Seeing this, Loress looked to Zyra, now appearing asleep. Loress’s own senses were ragged but whatever was “screaming” somewhere out in the jungle had stopped; it gave her slight relief and a little clarity.

Loress laid Zyra down on her side, praying she wouldn’t throw up; she sat on her haunches and was able to think things out, “Sit down, Wilka… try to calm down.”

Wilka backed up, bumping into a tree, “We’re alone… Without Delia… we don’t know what we’re doing…”

Loress may have found something on which to latch her sanity, but her head hurt, and her coolness was fragile; the little Pegasus was infuriating

“Cut it out, Wilka,” the rising panic in Wilka’s voice was having her feel more rattled.

Wilka wasn’t listening, “Where are we…? We’re gonna… Are we gonna die?”

Loress’s ears twitched; her flimsy tranquility was about to take a dirt-nap, “Shut up…”

The little Pegasus, easily able to fly and view their surroundings, and the Terran, likely the strongest sentient creature—other than a dragon—in the south, were good and scared; fear is fear, and both were feeling it.

Loress was still thinking, “Okay… we need to contact—”

She remembered something. Yes!

Rifling around Zyra’s “person”, she quickly located the “talk-rock”.

Holding the rock close, she cried into it, “Delia! Dechaa?! Can you hear me.”

Silence was the reply.

“Delia?! Dechaa? Can anypony hear me?!”

Loress wasn’t paying attention but Wilka had taken a bad turn; her sorry state only worsened with each non-existent response.

Loress tucked up, “Can anypony hear me…? Anypony…?”

Wilka abruptly began to sob.

Loress, her head between her legs, felt her relative outward calmness fall off a cliff, its neck tied to a big, old rock, “Stop…

Falling to her side, Wilka curled up and began to shake; seeing this was the straw that broke the camel’s back for the Terran.

Loress jumped up with a shout and stopped herself; she’d been about to strike Wilka… her little friend… It… horrified her.

Applying the brakes—hating herself for what she’d been close to doing—she knelt next to Wilka; she tried to keep her voice calm, but it wavered, “Wilka… listen… You need to take the stone to the barrier… …need to contact Essenta.”

Even Loress herself knew if she was calling the princess by name she wasn’t at her best; it took all she had to not cry.

Wilka retreated further into herself, a little ball of pink and blonde; she murmured descent at such an idea.

“Wilka… please, you need to go,” Loress quavered, hoofing Wilka’s shoulder.

“…No…” came the muffled reply.

“Wilka… you’re the only one that can get there quickly… Zyra can’t move… and I’m too slow on the ground.”

“…No…”

Loress felt her temper twitch again; the calm she’d managed again was fleeting, “Wilka… stand up.”

“Leave me alone…” whimpered Wilka.

Loress felt her blood rise; she pressed her hoof deeper into the Pegasus’s shoulder, “Wilka… stand up…”

Wilka yielded to the pressure, as much as it hurt, “Go away…”

Loress blew her stack; roughly hauling Wilka to her hooves, she roared, “Snap out of it, you little fool! Dechaa and Delia are gone! Zyra’s out cold! You need to take this stone and contact Essenta!”

Wilka just hung limply in Loress’s grip, eyes leaking like sieves, looking miserable; quivering, she simply avoided eye-contact with the angry Terran, “I can’t…”

Loress shook her, perhaps harder than was safe for the little one’s neck, “Get your hooves under you and do as I say!

Wilka only hung more limply, weeping anew; it was if Loress wasn’t even there.

After several attempts at actually cooling her manner, Loress realized what she was doing: she was scared; she was terrified and taking it out on Wilka.

Something she often forgot, in their months together, was that all of them were little more than children. Hell, half of them were just kids, even the one they followed.

Wilka was young… scared… had a lot of hurts Loress hadn’t thought to try to understand. Her reaction to Hagano’s “game”, already more than a week prior, revealed to those out of the know something dark in the little Pegasus… or pertaining to her.

Loress teared up, recognizing what she’d been doing; she sat down and embraced Wilka, weeping, “Oh, Wilka… I’m sorry… I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry…”

Wilka didn’t return the embrace but squeaked out, “I’m scared…”

She’d been afraid enough when it was still five of them.

Loress appreciated this a few seconds, “I know… I’m scared too…”

“What are we gonna do?”

The answer was the same; giving a few seconds to ensure Wilka was receptive, Loress spoke, “I need you to fly to the barrier; contact Essenta, Ama, and Orni. They need to know what happened.”

Wilka nuzzled in close, “I don’t want to go…”

Loress patted her back, “You need to go. I’m too slow and… Well, look at Zyra; she needs help.”

Wilka came to what Loress had suspected as much of the motivation for the show of dread, “What if you and Zyra disappear…?”

Firmly, yet gently hugging her friend, Loress said into her ear, “We won’t; I promise you.”

“What about the filly, or whatever’s making all that disturbance?”

Loress was relieved she was able to tell the truth, “Whatever it is, it’s stopped for now, but I don’t know when it might start up again, if it does. You can make it to the barrier in a couple minutes. I have to stay with Zyra; if she acts up again, I know the pressure-point as well as anypony.”

“But… I’m afraid.”

Loress was very glad to not have to lie to her, “You’re strong, Wilka… have faith. I know it’s hard but have faith. I’ll be here, watching over Zyra. Remember… I’m tougher than those lions and tigers and bears…”

Wilka giggled, in spite of herself, “I thought I was gonna crap myself when I saw that tiger the other day…”

Loress chuckled in turn; she’d not been scared for herself but her friends, “Yeah… you weren’t the only one; that’s not something we saw on the other side of the desert… Just stick to the canopies and keep an eye out; you’ll be fine.”

Wilka hadn’t quite agreed to go, but asked, “What do you want me to say to them?”


Somehow, Delia managed to keep her grip around Dechaa’s trunk. Her only company—other than the spazzing unicorn— were flashes of bright light, rushes of air and flowing water, and her own screams. And she did plenty of screaming.

The former floor-scrubber found herself falling through the canopy of some titanic tree and in a shock of blinding brightness the healer was plunging them into a lake.

Dechaa had taken her on quite a ride, ferrying her to many places. Underwater—literally rolling in mud at the bottom of some river, glancing off the apparent magic barrier some miles above the Earth—complete with terrifying freefalls, and spaces of vast emptiness… and spaces full of roaring fire.

Still, she held on, through the void and wherever else they wound up. The two of them were in no one place more than five or six seconds and it likely saved them from going splat against the ground somewhere when Delia found them up in the air.

Rather than a splat it was more like…

Whumph!

Delia landed flat on her back, Dechaa on top of her; the force of the impact and the knock to her noggin finally got her to release her death-grip.

Her wind knocked, she gasped loudly, eyes wide-open to the blue sky.

It took a second, but she soon realized she was without something… something to which she’d held on for dear life.

Lazily turning her glance to one side, her body had begun to relax but her eyes beheld Dechaa, who'd rolled away. The healer was foaming at the mouth, jittering, and appearing to shift before Delia’s eyes; she was “micro-teleporting” across the ground.

With a groan, Delia gathered her strength and willed herself to move. Her hooves found Dechaa and she began to feel the now-familiar “pull” that had sent the two on their high-flying terror-trip; she managed to pinch the sought-after nerve near the neck, halting Dechaa’s activity.

The former maid fell to her face with a muzzle-crushing plurp. She smelled something… earthy. It wasn’t the smell that got her attention but what was felt.

Her eyes shooting wide, she soon realized she was on a lush, yet manicured bed of grass.

Rolling to one side, her head spinning, she found herself… in an alleyway?

Scrambling her back hooves, propelling herself to a wall, she looked around. What greeted her was a familiar sight; it was much like any alleyway in “Last Chance”, though with grass instead of gravel or mud… and less garbage and horseshit. Noting she wasn’t in sight of any of the windows, of which there were only a couple, she felt secure enough to let down her guard a little.

Rubbing at her sore muzzle she further realized it was still hot… humid… but her back was to a brick wall.

Bricks?! She looked at them.

As sure as night’s dark and day’s light they weren’t in the jungle anymore.

Things started making sense, as if waking from a fitful sleep. She viscerally remembered bouncing off the sky; they were in Salvatrix. The darkness and fire nonsense she couldn’t justify but they’d not escaped the physical realm of the barrier.

Like many, even those that should’ve known better, Delia envisioned Salvatrix as a place where ponies—barring the movers and shakers of the world—lived in huts of mud and grass, foraging off the merciless jungle like rats. But it had been a hundred years since New Salvatrix was founded. They had roads, plenty of wood, quarries, and had plowed up untold acres of farmland in the rainforest.

Shit, they grew enough sugarcane to supply the southern continent with crystal sweetness.

Dechaa had brought them to a town, if not a proper city.

Speaking of Dechaa, Delia heard the unicorn stir. Crawling to her, she quickly realized her friend had had a fit. She hadn’t been foaming at the mouth and jittering simply for the Hell of it. Blood trickled from Dechaa’s lip, having apparently been bitten in the throes of seizure. Her body twitched but Delia knew it was just the unicorn’s muscles finally relaxing.

Brrrrpt…

Dechaa certainly knew that ponies often voided themselves after throwing a fit—or dying—but she never quite got used to it. Near her friend’s posterior, Delia got a full snootful of fetid horse-pie.

Already nauseous from the wild ride and hitting her head, Delia crumpled towards the nearest wall and vomited next to an empty crate. Spitting and hacking, she lackadaisically recognized the cashew sweet-bread they’d succeeded in making, not hours earlier; it had been quite good, considering the lack of yeast really stunted their baking repertoire.

Back to the moment, though, the Devil’s mixture of heat, humidity, puke, and Dechaa’s pigments fashioned a ripe perfume that had Delia gagging all over again. Rolling away from her fresh pile of sick, Delia got another look of the sky, in between the buildings.

She recalled hazily the wet-season was beginning in the tropics; the girls had only seen a few rain showers but soon the land would see them daily. At the moment the sky was clear as a bell.

Coughing, the foul acid taste overpowering in her mouth, Delia spotted a rain barrel. Crawling towards it she prayed it to be full. Her pleas to Heaven were rewarded; the last shower, channeled by a pipe from the roof, had filled the barrel with clean rainwater. Delia dunked her head, not only clearing her mouth but her senses.

Feeling like a new mare she slumped against the barrel, finally taking a good look at herself… and Dechaa; they’d been on quite a journey, covered in fresh bruises and scratches, their now-filthy tunics bearing witness to all they’d done and seen in the last 10 minutes.

Glancing up again, she espied somepony’s clean laundry hanging on a line.

She was out of it but the little filly—whose earliest concrete memories entailed scamming and scheming with her father—was still alive and well in Delia’s mind.

Without even being fully-conscious of it, her first priority was to blend in; gagging once again, she used some unfortunate pony’s clean linens and water from the rain barrel to clean up her friend and herself. She even found a coarse wad of laundry-soap with a scrub-brush in an adjacent bucket, allowing for a proper cleaning.

Once the worst of it was off, it was bath-time for the two of them; the barrel was big enough. Sad to say, if somepony had been relying on that water for any purpose outside of tricking some neighbor they hated into taking a drink, they were shit-out-of-luck.

Down the alleyway, Delia saw a plethora of simple dresses, like in their manner and color, hanging on another line.

Smiling a little to herself, she knew she’d be fine. She shook herself like a dog and paddled to the next batch of laundry.


“What did you say, Wilka?!” Essenta was shocked to hear the things that had transpired in the jungle.

Wilka repeated herself reluctantly, “Whatever’s going on out there started up again… Zyra keeled over and we think Dechaa had a seizure. When Dechaa started to teleport, Delia tried to stop her and… they vanished.”

Ama and Orni looked over Essenta’s shoulders in positive alarm; this was bad.

Dechaa. Gone. Gone. Delia. Dechaa. Gone… Gone… Gone… Essenta’s head swam.

Essenta tried to keep from yelling; it wasn’t really working and all that came out was, “Is Loress okay?!”

The reply wasn’t hysterical, but close, “She’s back with Zyra. She’s not doing great, but she’s not as affected. Just a couple minutes ago she said it had stopped again, but it was worse than last time… I don’t know if it’s gonna start again…! We tried reaching them on one of the ‘talk-rocks’ but there was no answer. I think Delia still has the other but we’re not sure; it’s gone, regardless.”

Essenta wracked her brains, “…”

The princess looked to Orni; the little Knollwing was done, looking as young and inexperienced as she actually was. The two reflected the same fear as the other.

Ama didn’t hesitate; she trotted to the wagon, “I am going in.”

Essenta had been at a loss for a few seconds but quickly recovered, “What?! You can’t go in there!”

Ama already had her ball and chain, reaching for a short sword, “Our friends need us. They need me out there and you and Orni here.”

“You’re not going out there, especially not alone!” Essenta yelled.

Ama appeared tepid but her voice sounded feeble as she shouldered a water jug, “Essenta… you cannot navigate the forest… Orni is close to panic; look at her! I was born in the jungle; I can find my way, especially if Wilka helps.”

Essenta tried to justify things in her head, “If you’re going in, Orni and me are too!”

Ama rounded on the princess; Essenta had never seen such a look on Ama’s face, “No, Essenta… You and Orni must remain. You must protect our supplies; you must pack the wagon and be ready.”

Essenta’s stomach dropped out; seeing the dead seriousness in Ama, “Ready for what?”

Ama pulled the words out; it looked painful, “We must be ready to run.”

The six words didn’t quite register with Essenta, “What…?”

Ama was rapidly aware Essenta didn’t understand; it hurt her to say it, so she danced around it, “Yes, Essenta… We must be ready to run if needed.”

Essenta’s voice sounded foreign to her own ears, “What do you mean…?”

At this, Ama’s composure dropped, “Essenta! Gather your senses and think! We have no idea what is going on out there! We are hundreds of miles away from even relative safety, if such a thing even exists for us! Something most wicked festers in the southern wilderness and it is certainly a thing for which we are no match! You and Orni must make ready!”

Essenta saw a glimmer of harsh truth in the forefront of her mind; her words came out slowly and with great hesitance, “When you say ‘run’, you mean…”

Ama’s eyes, already having welled up, began to leak; she knew Essenta had begun to understand, “Yes, Essenta… and I do mean immediately.”

The awareness of the situation further dawned to the princess; she cried, “Leave Dechaa and Delia…?! We can’t—”

Strangling out a sob, Ama roughly hoofed Essenta; the thought of doing such a thing tore her apart, “YES, WE CAN, IF WE MUST! And we will! Essenta! We cannot lose six for the sake of two!

“But Ama!” Essenta bawled.

Ama shook her, “Princess! You are our leader! We chose to follow you here of our own freewill, but you are our leader! We chose to trust you and we are facing something the likes of which we cannot fathom; I can feel it in my heart! There may be no fighting this!”

The fact Ama called Essenta by her title had the princess more than rattled, “I…”

Ama almost screamed, hoisting Essenta up, “You must lead us! Being a leader is hard… But if you fail us as such, I will never forgive you, Princess Essenta Dale! Even if they hate you for the rest of their lives—even if you hate yourself and choose to die by your own hoof when all is said and done and we are scattered across the world—you have a responsibility to them!

Essenta shied away from Ama’s onslaught; she heard alright but could do little more than cry in a limp mess.

But Ama knew the princess had finally—at long, fucking last—come to appreciate the gravity of the power she’d so casually taken upon herself.

Ama set Essenta down and exhaled, “Now… recognize the situation and lead us, Princess. If you do so to the best of your ability, I will not be loath to follow you and will gladly do so to the ends of the Earth… So, stand up straight!”

Essenta perked up; she quivered, and her eyes leaked, but she was standing up like a proper princess.

Ama waited.

Essenta hoofed the stone; she fleetingly looked for Orni and found the little mare cowering against a tree, “Wilka… can you hear me?”

One may forget the little Pegasus was privy to all this; she gasped, fumbling on the other end, “Yes, Essenta?”

“Is there anything you need in the jungle? Ama has a water jug, a sword, and her ball-and-chain. Is there anything you need?”

Wilka replied, rattling off what Loress had requested, “We need extra water, a day's worth of food, something to perk up Zyra and Loress—maybe something for fever or delirium… Bring a few short swords, too; I don’t know what’s happening next.”

Essenta looked to Ama, already gathering these things, hauling over the medicine-bag.

Steeling herself, the princess waited until Ama was back next to her, “Wilka… I need you to listen and listen carefully. Once you and Ama rejoin the others, Ama’s in charge, you hear?”

Essenta fleetingly noted Ama’s eyes dart her way.

Wilka stammered; it was a well-accepted fact Loress was the de facto second-in-command, “What about Loress?”

Essenta restated, “Ama’s in charge; you’re to do what she says without hesitation.”

She turned to Ama, “Can you accept this?”

Ama was just as jarred as Essenta but nodded, “I accept.”

Essenta called to Wilka, “Wilka… I trust you with this. I don’t know what’s gonna happen but… trust Ama, please…”

The answer came shaky; Wilka had heard everything Ama had said, “I understand…”

Ama had located the things she’s sought after, had a few short swords, a bag of food, and ten gallons of water; none of this even felt heavy to her, “I am ready.”

“Do you want to take the third stone with you?” Essenta asked.

It was a hard choice for the princess, but it may have better served in Ama’s hooves at the time.

Ama shook her head; it was a difficult call for her, too, “No… it must remain here. It is only of use once we leave the barrier, but seconds and minutes of notice may be our salvation.”

Essenta nodded and spoke into the rock again, “Wilka… keep an eye out for Ama; she’ll be there soon. And guard the stone with your life. Keep trying to reach Delia and Dechaa.”

Wilka understood the last stone would remain outside the barrier, “Okay…”

Ama began to gallop; she called to the princess, “Rouse Orni and prepare the wagon, Essenta! I do not know what awaits but I will hold out for hope as long as I see it!”

Essenta watched Ama disappear into the jungle.

As long as she sees it… Essenta knew Ama to be the closest to the embodiment of faith that likely existed… If she chose to hold out for hope it would take the sky crashing down on her to convince her otherwise. But when other ponies were at stake as well…?

Swallowing hard, she tried to put her worries and concerns—which were numerous—aside. As was recommended, she went to rouse Orni; they had work to do.


Having left their soiled tunics and the shit/puke/blood-stained linens that somepony would never be able to use again in the erstwhile empty crate beside which she’d yakked, Delia shouldered their water jugs and looked around a corner.

The coast was clear.

Having propped up the delirious Dechaa against a wall, she sat a moment and thought.

She hadn’t at all forgotten about Essenta and the others; her first thoughts had simply been to protect herself and Dechaa and get situated. Both were presently clad in the apparent fashions of the town/city: a simple, light woolen dress; it was quite comfortable and wicked sweat as well as anything.

Other than the fact she had a feverish unicorn along with her, she’d not be out of place. But this depended on the size of the city; in a place like “Last Chance” a criminal could hide for a lifetime… in some little village there were no secrets. It was unclear to her what sort of place this was or how big it was; she’d only seen a few alleyways as she plotted her movements.

What she had let slip from her mind was her means of communication; she and Dechaa were in the confines of the jungle… and the others were as well. They hadn’t left the physical realm of the barrier.

Cursing her cognizance, Delia realized a good 20 minutes had passed since she’d found herself face-up in some alleyway.

She’d even handled the stone; she’d sewn it into the collar of the dress she’d swiped. Had it been alerting her? She'd barely paid it mind, caught up in her own game.

Bracing Dechaa—who’d begun to slump over—Delia cocked her head towards her shoulder, “Uh… Can anypony hear me?”


“Uh… Can anypony hear me?”

Wilka, bounding around the understory of the forest, yipped, nearly dropping the “talk-rock” she held between her teeth.

Ama—who’d met up with Wilka not minutes before—halted her run on the forest floor, “What is it, Wilka?!”

Landing next to Ama Wilka dropped the stone to her upturned hoof; she cried, “Delia?!

Ama couldn’t believe it either, “Delia?!”

Delia’s voice came through, sounding much calmer than the other two felt, “Ama? Where’d you come from?”

Ama spoke into the stone, “I have come into the forest to aid Zyra and Loress… and you.”

The two mares in the forest were treated to a bit of nervous humor, “Well, that’s dandy, because shit’s weird on my side of the rock… How’s Zyra doing?”

Ama sighed, “I am unsure; she is back with Loress. Wilka came to the barrier’s border to contact the three of us on the jungle’s border. Essenta and Orni are back at camp.”

Wilka spouted, “Is Dechaa okay?!”

Delia wanted to say she was, “She’s alive… doesn’t seem hurt; she had a seizure, though, with whatever it is that’s bugging the unicorns. I clocked her out… she wouldn’t quit teleporting; she pulled me on one motherfucking Hell-of-a ride, though. I was sure I'd died and gone to Heaven... or maybe Hell... I think she took us through Limbo…!”

Limbo? Ama mouthed to Wilka.

Wilka stated a-matter-of-factly, “It’s said to be a place between life and death… or Heaven and Hell; it depends on who you ask…”

Ama let it pass, “Where are you?”

Delia’s voice came unsure, “I… dunno, really… but we’re still inside the barrier… and dig this: we’re in a city.”

Both Ama and Wilka were stunned; Ama asked, “A city?!”

“Well, looking around the little bit I have, it may be better called a town,” Delia observed. “Stone… bricks… wood… Yeah… a proper town. It’s not like Salvatrix is made of mud and straw.”

Ama was thinking; a town… “Have you seen any other ponies?”

“Uh… nope,” Delia quipped. “And I’m trying not to… until I figure things out. I’m looking for a safe place to stow Dechaa…”

Ama considered, “If you are alright then I am less worried; you know what you are doing, after all.”

“Yeah,” Delia said in a half-giggle. “I know my way around a city…”

“Be cautious,” Ama advised. “It may be best for you to maintain silence until you have situated yourself… and Dechaa.”

“Don’t I know it…” Delia replied. “You far from Zyra and Loress?”

Wilka spoke, “No… just a short distance up; we’re well within the barrier.”

“Send me a ‘silent’ message once the four of you have met up,” Delia directed. “Tap on the stone four times to the rhythm of ‘never say die’—just like that; I’ll know the four of you are together. I’ll reply with the same.”

“Why ‘never say die’?” Wilka wondered.

“Just do it.”

Ama was much more confident than she had been while ‘schooling’ Essenta; she said, “We understand. Stay safe. We will aid Zyra and Loress if need be. We will try to maintain silence on our end; it would be inopportune if your pocket ‘spoke’. If we need to contact you, we will tap repeatedly. Otherwise, contact us when you see fit.”

“Will do… Out.” Delia cut off.

Wilka felt some relief, “So, we’ll be okay?”

Ama was cautiously optimistic but she realized she’d never made any promises… to Delia, about finding them or anything else; she was unable to bring herself to do so, “I do hope so… Let us go.”

Wilka nodded.

The two mares ran further into the jungle; it wasn’t far to their friends.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for Princess Essenta, updated as the story moves along. It shows the story's timeline and character designs. Contains spoilers.


So begins the "Wicked World" Arc.

I had some "technical difficulties" with this chapter, in that I totally erased it by accident, having written it some time ago and just finished editing a few days ago. It was frustrating but I had to re-write from memory. I think my frustration is more apparent in the new version than I like, but whatever. Some parts are better served than they were with the first version.

With Delia and Dechaa kind of safe, Ama has been given authority to do and command as she sees fit, with Loress at less than 100%.

Somewhere, in the country of Salvatrix, Delia is hauling around a temporarily-useless Dechaa, trying to figure out what the fuck she's to do about it. And in a stolen dress, no less!

And what of the "cry" those with magical perception have noticed more than just a little?

Things will see some clarity next time.


If you enjoy Princess Essenta, please take a look at Larkspur Blossom. A story of a colt finding his worth and making a better life for himself.

Also look for The Virgin Company. A tale of a military pony and his platoon in a war centuries ago.

Like, follow, or leave a comment if you please. It's been fun writing and I'm glad some enjoy it.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next