• Published 19th Feb 2018
  • 1,895 Views, 595 Comments

Princess Essenta - Pone_Heap



Long, long before Equestria, ponies in that land lived in a number of smaller kingdoms. Princess Essenta, the first daughter of the Dale, sets out to prove herself when her father, the king, sends her on a poorly conceived "suicide mission".

  • ...
28
 595
 1,895

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 11: The Fallen Knollwing

Renata Arc

Wilka’s cottage was up ahead. They’d walked a few miles, with their new companion, and they company found itself in a little grove of forest. Through the trees, they could make out the town of Renata.

Turning back to Essenta, Wilka grinned, “You said you kept a workshop, Essenta. I’m something of an inventor myself. Those cesti sure are cool. And your armor’s pretty sweet, too.”

Essenta blushed, just a little, “Thanks. The cesti wouldn’t be a thing without magic, but I’m quite proud of the armor I made for Dechaa and myself… and Zyra’s pocket wand. I was so scared that thing would just blow up on her.”

Zyra laughed, “Well, Cap, it didn’t. And it sure makes a nice pop!”

They arrived at the little cottage. Wilka pointed to a shed in the yard.

“That’s my workshop, Essenta. I’ll show you later. Everypony… you can leave your supplies in here for now.”

They unloaded their supplies and Loress pulled the wagon around back. Entering the little cottage, Ama’s immediate belief was realized; it was the reason she asked Wilka to be their friend and comrade. The others picked up on it quickly.

Wilka lived alone. It was a primitive, somewhat secluded life. There was no joy in the place. A 16-year-old mare living alone in the world wasn’t unheard of, but it was rather sad. Wilka rebuffed all questions of family. All she had, apparently, were her skills and this friend she’d mentioned.

Loress, however, admired the little house, “Wilka… did you build this place yourself?”

Wilka smiled shyly, “Yes. I had some help shaping the logs from a carpenter, but I built it.”

It was impressive to Loress, “It’s solid. I bet you’ve never seen a leak.”

“It doesn’t rain all that much… I built it to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Check out the floor.”

Loress guessed what she was looking for was under the rug. Moving it, she found the floor was… cold. There was a hatch, which she opened. The blast of cool air surprised her. There was a column dug under the house. It went down farther than the light shined.

Wilka chuckled, “Geothermal conditioning. It’s always comfortable in here. I just seal it up come cold weather and use my wood stove. The mud insulation really helps.”

The company was impressed. It shouldn’t have surprised them Loress could recognize good craft. She’d mentioned working with a mason and a builder in her travels, when she needed money. The rest of them knew squat about building things.

Once they’d squared away their gear, the company followed their new eccentric into town. As the trees thinned out, it was clear harvest wasn’t far away. Ponies were prepping their tools, implements, and readying their storage.

In town, Wilka received many greetings, which she returned cheerfully. She was a townspony here, even if she did live in the woods. But it was unusual to see five mares following her. It was obvious they weren’t ordinary travelers.

“Good afternoon, Wilka!” a stallion carrying a rake over his shoulder called. “Who’re your friends?”

She beamed back, “’Afternoon, Sly! They’re from up north. We’re on our way to see Orni.”

“Tell her I said hello.”

“Will do.”

The company looked around. It was a lovely little town. They may have come just to come if they’d known it was so pleasant. It looked like a gingerbread village and they could even smell gingerbread coming from the bakery. It was Essenta’s favorite, and she determined to stop by later.

Moving through town, they approached the edge of it. Wilka pointed to a little stead up ahead.

“There it is, girls… Farmer Valli’s farm. They grow a few things, but it’s mostly dairy… some wool. Orni lives there.”

Wilka stopped a moment, turning back to the rest, “I… need to tell you something about Orni. I couldn’t think of a way to say it, but… I don’t want anypony to be surprised…”

This was strange. The company considered Wilka.

“Orni is a Knollwing… She’s my age, maybe a couple weeks younger… She… can’t fly, though. She… lost her wings.”

The girls cringed. It was hard to imagine a Pegasus, much less a Knollwing, losing her wings. They wanted to know more, but it was obvious Wilka didn’t want to say, or knew how to say, any more on the matter.

Wilka hoofed the dirt road, “Just warning you… But don’t worry. You’ll love her!”

They weren’t worried. Still, Essenta was glad to know this going in. It would avoid anypony staring. Also, she was confident Dechaa couldn’t handle the surprise of seeing any more hurt ponies that day… She wasn’t sure of herself, even, no matter how old said injury was.

They found Orni at the stable. Approaching, there was the young mare, not much taller than Wilka, but built like a fireplug. Her mane was something of a mustard color, with an indescribable bluish-green coat. She had on a simple dress, and they did see what was left of her wings. Two joints, almost resembling the horns of a collar, protruded through two openings sewn into her dress near the shoulder. Other than that, she appeared a sturdy, little Earth pony mare. She was speaking to and fussing over what looked a late spring lamb.

Wilka, a huge smile on her face, as if she hadn’t seen her friend in years, spoke, “Hey, Orni.”

Orni turned their way, pulling the lamb with her. She wanted to keep hooves on the little rascal. Essenta sure felt plain next to this one… Orni was exceptionally attractive, in her way. She lacked the regal quality Loress exuded but had a very simple beauty about her. She smiled at Wilka, a joy like the expression Wilka had shown upon approach.

“Hello, Wilka.”

She let go of the lamb and embraced Wilka enthusiastically. The lamb bleated and began to scurry away. The two mares let up their embrace and stared after the escaped sheep.

“Orni, that little one giving you trouble again?”

Orni stared after it, “Yeah… she’s been moving a lot better, though.”

Essenta wouldn’t have believed it if she hadn’t seen it, but she saw it… so did the rest of them. The little lamb was already a distance away, but Orni ran after it. In a literal flash, she’d caught the little one and was already on her way back, nudging it along.

Their collective jaws dropped, other than Wilka, looking most pleased with herself. Orni was faster than Loress.

Orni tied the lamb to a post, “Now stay.”

Essenta wasn’t terribly perceptive, but it was clear even to her: Orni was a very special mare. Her green eyes betrayed a poise she’d never seen, other than in some of the seasoned warriors back home. Yet she had a gentleness about her, not as Dechaa did, but… different. Aware she was gawking, she tried to play it cool as Wilka brought her friend to them.

Essenta’s company had explained the potential importance about keeping quiet regarding who and what Essenta was. She didn’t let them down. They’d been able to trust Wilka, upon Ama’s judgement. Loress had impressed them enough for Essenta to reveal herself. Ama, on the other hoof, had Essenta nearly soiling her tunic; it was the only discernible reason she’d told the Mazan who she was. But, they decided to meet Orni and talk with her before unmasking themselves, or their leader.

Wilka introduced them, “Orni, this is Essenta (the name wasn’t unheard of anywhere in the known world). She and her friends came from up north.”

Orni grinned shyly, “Hello, Princess… Uh, which of you is Dechaa? Or Zyra? I know you’re both unicorns…”

Essenta and her crew jumped. What?!

Wilka laughed long and hard, while Orni looked uncomfortable, “I… I… wasn’t sure if she’d heard of you, but I should’ve guessed she might! As famous as you apparently are, it doesn’t surprise me she knows!”

Essenta was still worried. Anypony “knowing of” her didn’t mean much… What mattered was if they knew she was still on the run from the Dale, with a possible few thousand gold pieces on her hide, or if they’d bought the horse pucky about some princess taking a couple unicorns on a suicide mission.

But if she’d referred to them with such affection… maybe she wasn’t about to collect.

Essenta decided to trust her, “Yes… I’m Essenta, Princess of the Dale. These are my friends… Dechaa Beiran and Zyra Argon.”

Upon pointing to the unicorns, she continued, “This is Ama, of the clan Waterfall and Loress Claystable of Terrow. It’s good to meet you, Orni.”

Orni shined, “Wow… We’d heard you were on your mission, but nopony had any idea where you were… I’m sure you want to travel quietly, so don’t worry. Your secret’s safe if you want it to be… Still… everypony in town has heard of you. There may be no hiding it.”

Essenta nodded. At least they were… probably safe for the moment.

Orni cleared her throat, “Please allow me to introduce myself. I’m Orni Valkea. As you see… I don’t really belong here, but we can talk about that later.”

Ama was charmed by the Knollwing, and she approached to shake hooves, “Greetings, Orni Valkea. I suppose Essenta did introduce me but allow me the pleasure. I am Ama Waterfall. Please call me Ama.”

Orni shook hooves, “Wow… I’ve never met a Terran before…”

Ama laughed first, followed by the rest, “Oh, Orni… I am a Mazan. My father was a Terran. But Loress there, is a Terran.”

Orni was wowed, but apologetic, “Sorry, Ama. I… shouldn’t have just guessed. But a Terran? Wow…”

Orni practically stared at Loress, who became uncomfortable, “You’re beautiful, Loress…”

Loress hoofed the ground, blushing profusely, “…”

Orni turned back to Ama, “Uh, excuse me… Did you call the princess… by her given name?”

Ama chuckled, “She insists upon it. Her oldest friends have nicknames for her, but Wilka and I are certainly content to call her Essenta. Loress, on the other hand, calls her by title. It is… her way of having fun with the princess.”

Essenta walked up to Orni, “I really would like you to call me by name, if you like…”

Orni gushed, “Cool… Okay, Essenta.”

It was clear to Orni she was facing no ordinary group of mares, “Uh, Wilka? Don’t tell me they’re all here for the…”

Wilka waved a hoof, “No… I haven’t even told them about it, yet.”

Pointing to Orni as if she was presenting the company with a swell gift, “Girls… Orni’s a champion sparrer. We have grounds set up on the edge of town. Most weekends, warriors from far and wide come to take a crack at her! She’s never lost.”

Essenta, having seen much on the trip already, reserved judgment. If Wilka said the little Knollwing could fight, it was truth as far as she was concerned. Orni blushed, trying to disappear, apparently.

“Wilka… you’ve come close… maybe twice.”

That sealed it. The company was definitely interested in getting to know Orni. But Wilka had said Orni may not be interested in coming along with them. Orni said she didn’t belong there, and it was a safe assumption she just lived there or was adopted.

Wilka prodded her friend, “So, is Linus around? I was hoping he could meet the girls.”

Orni shook her head, “No, he’s at the market. But he should be back soon. I don’t think he’d object to you showing Essenta and her friends around.”

Orni turned to Essenta, “It’s been nice to meet you. I suppose I’ll see you all later. I have a few chores to tend to.”

With that, the Knollwing paddled away. Wilka looked after her affectionately.

“That little lamb was a runt born late in the spring. Her mother died, but Orni took care of her. For a while, it didn’t look like she’d live. Her mother had been so sick. But I’m glad she’s better now… You should see Orni shear a sheep! It’s quite a sight!”

Sure, they were interested in Orni’s apparent affinity for animals, but they had their minds on the fact she was fast and apparently a skilled fighter.

Essenta couldn’t help herself, “How does somepony like her show up in a place like this?”

Wilka sighed, “It’s a long story. Maybe you’ll hear it from her… or somepony… I… don’t want to talk about it…”

That closed that subject for a time, but there were other things to discuss. Loress, quite knowledgeable about many things, addressed Wilka.

“Wilka… Orni seems… quite strong. I’ve met quite a few Knollwings, but only one that had… their magic. Does Orni…?”

Essenta and the girls knew what Loress was referring to. Over the last few centuries, the Knollwing magic had been failing them. It was seemingly “drying up” in the mountains they called home. Most Knollwings were more or less normal Pegasi. They were a little sturdier, maybe a little stronger, but they were no longer to Pegasi what Terrans were to normal Earth ponies.

Wilka, taking on an air of great honor, gleamed, “She has the magic… and more.”

Loress looked back in wonder. It was a childlike wonder none of them had seen in her before. Essenta was even more curious, as were the others, but Wilka ushered them along.

“Let’s talk about that later. Let me show you the farm.”

It was a nice little farm, functional, and large enough for the town. Wilka, perhaps taking more liberty than she should have, had the girls try out the cheeses Farmer Valli made. It was good. After a bit, the company saw an Earth pony trot up the road.

“Ah, Wilka! A few guests? I hope you didn’t feed them all my fresh cheese! It has to cure… and some of it was a special order.”

Wilka waved a hoof, “Don’t worry Linus. How long have I been hanging around here?”

Farmer Valli smirked, “Two years… ever since you came to town and started corrupting our Orni…”

Wilka cackled at this, “Don’t be that way! I didn’t teach her anything about fighting she didn’t already know. I just… sparred with her.”

“And that’s how our little town turned into the circus we see every weekend. But we do sell an awful lot of booze… and the cheese flies out of my larder, so I tolerate it. I just wish all the visitors would piss off and not wreck up the town Saturday night.”

Farmer Valli turned to Essenta’s company, “Who’re you? Don’t tell me all five of you are taking a crack at my daughter Saturday.”

Daughter… So Orni had been adopted into the family.

Essenta, knowing it was best not to keep it secret, and trusting Farmer Valli wouldn’t kill them in their sleep, “Hello, Farmer Valli. I’m Princess Essenta Dale and these are my friends.”

His face lit up, “P-p-p-p-princess?! You’re Princess Essenta?!”

She smiled back, “I am.”

He shook her hoof, “I’m so glad to meet you. We’ve been hearing about you for weeks, but nopony seemed to know where you might be. Just our luck you show up in our neck of the woods. What brings you to Renata?”

“Not the carnival you speak of. We were just traveling along the road and met Wilka. We sparred a little and had lunch. She… wanted us to meet Orni.”

The company did a take, “sparred a little”? Essenta and Wilka beat the shit out of each other… almost literally. They could still see the bruises, despite Dechaa’s magic touch!

Farmer Valli’s face fell, “Oh… Well, I suppose we have much to talk about, then.”

Essenta was disheartened by his conduct, “Oh, sir! I didn’t come here to try to take her away or anything! Wilka… just mentioned her and we thought we’d meet her. I’m sorry if I offended you.”

He smiled, from the heart, “Oh, Princess… it’s quite alright. I’m just… tired of all these lowlifes coming around to pull Orni away on some silly trip. Orni, I know, loves it here. It’d take a lot to drag her away. I know you’ve no ill intentions. Please… you and your friends should dine with us tonight… you too, I guess, Wilka…”

Essenta grinned, “That would be nice.”

“Got a place to stay?”

She nodded, “We left our supplies at Wilka’s cottage, so-”

He waved a hoof, “I insist you stay here. With all the visitors we get in town, I have a little bunkhouse out back. It’s big enough for all of you and your gear.”

Wilka rubbed her hooves together, “I knew I could count on you, Linus.”

Zyra shook with laughter, “Seems this was her game from the start. We would’ve wound up sleeping outside, some of us…”

Farmer Valli nodded, half-amused with Wilka’s scheming, “You and your friends are most welcome, Princess. Go retrieve your gear. Once you’re settled in, we can get dinner started. You all could even help.”


A couple hours later, Essenta was rooting through her bag, “Loress… I feel like a bit of an ass, here. I mean… we show up like it’s nothing, thinking we could take away some farmgirl from her family?”

Loress sat on the bunk below Essenta, “Don’t worry about it too much, Princess… We couldn’t have known… We just followed Wilka.

Dechaa was lying on the floor, hoping to catch a short doze, “So, what are we gonna do, Sen? I mean… it’s not like we have some schedule to keep, but I sure didn’t expect us to hole up here… The bed and roof will be nice, but…”

Essenta found the wrench she’d lost in the bottom of her bag, “Hafta check the wheel… I dunno, Dechaa. Things haven’t been bad for us the last few days, but we could use a nice rest.”

As if in reply, snores blasted from the other side of the bunkhouse; Zyra and Ama were conked out, taking full advantage of the pleasant afternoon heat for a snooze.

Loress glared at her, “You just want to get drunk a few nights, don’t you?”

Essenta rocked with laughter, despite Loress being half-serious, “I do want to… But that’s not why I decided to stop us here a couple days. I… kinda wanna stick around for the sparring matches this weekend.”

Dechaa hoofed Essenta’s leg, dangling from the top bunk, “You said we’d stay a couple days… Today’s Tuesday! Do you really plan for us to stay the rest of the week?”

Essenta dismissed her concerns, “What? Do you really want to continue our little errand without a few days of R&R? You said it yourself… bed and roof…”

Deciding it wasn’t worth the time getting in a pissing contest with their friend, Dechaa and Loress got up and went outside. Essenta followed them a moment later, leaving the other two to rest. She’d rouse them for dinner.


As they all gathered around the large table in the Valli house, the company learned a few things about Orni. Close to 17, she was the oldest child in the house, with four younger brothers and sisters. The next oldest was a colt of 11, so she was definitely the big sister. The entire family were Earth ponies. Mrs. Valli, appearing to love Wilka as much as any of her own children, welcomed Essenta and company as friends of hers.

It was quite a spread. Loress helped with cooking and had a large carrot cake baking for dessert. Mrs. Valli and her family were charmed by the flappable Terran, who put up with much curiosity and pestering from the little foals. For all the ponies that came through town, whether on business or to get their asses kicked by Orni, a Terran had never visited. As the company had learned, Loress was the oldest of many siblings, so she was used to foals hanging on her.

Ama was also something of a novelty to the children, as she had been during their walk through the town. With the exception of a single stallion living in Renata, she was about the tallest pony they’d ever seen. Ama grinned and beared it, but she was a little less at home with so many little ones. Certainly, fillies back home hounded her, but they’d been afraid of her… too afraid to be friendly.

Other than the freshness of having a princess at the table, there was little else new to the family or the town’s residents. So, they dined, chatted, and enjoyed themselves.

Despite Essenta’s reluctance she did, Wilka made it known she was leaving along with the company to join them on their quest. She also heavily implied Orni should consider joining them. Orni stared down at the chunk of carrot cake before her. She didn’t have much to say.

The family was quiet as well. The foals didn’t like the idea of their friend Wilka leaving. They were too young to understand what was written between the lines. Orni’s parents surely saw it.

His hoof on his wife’s, Farmer Valli addressed both Wilka and Orni, “You girls should do what you like. It’s a big world out there… You may as well see it when you’re young.”

Wilka sat, poker-faced, but Orni only looked more sadly at her dessert. Dechaa, possibly the most preceptive of the company, decided to move away from that.

“Do you want to hear about our trip through the Forbidden Forest?”

The foals definitely wanted to hear this. The company took turns, leaving out some of the more graphic elements, such as Dechaa having the shit scared out of her or just how they came to meet Ama. Zyra, having a flare for storytelling, thrilled the room with their close encounter with Timberwolves and what must have been a dragon.

As they finished up, Farmer Valli told the girls, “You picked a fine day to arrive. Every year we celebrate the coming harvest with a big dance in town. Lots of food… lots of booze… Orni! You and Wilka show your new friends a good time!”

This was welcome news. Essenta’s liver was ready for a little abuse and the rest of the girls could stand a drink as well.

Loress insisted, “Oh, let me help you clean up!”

Mrs. Valli patted Loress’s hoof, “Oh, it’s quite alright, dear. You were such a help this evening and the cake was delicious. Please, go enjoy yourself.”

Needing little other encouragement, Essenta put Loress in a headlock, as if she’d be able to do so if Loress didn’t let it happen and led the company out the front gate. They certainly were a lively bunch of young mares, in the eyes of the farmer and his wife. Wilka had a hoof over Orni, pulling her along.

Mrs. Valli told the remaining four children to start clearing the table. They did so. She looked sadly to her husband.

“Linus… Do you really think it’s time our Orni set out? She’s… still so attached to this place…”

He hugged her, “I’m beginning to think so, Polyxena… I don’t believe in destiny or fate, you know I never have, but she can’t spend her life on a dairy farm. There’s a lot more for her out there. We both know that… I’ll have a talk with the princess… and maybe the Terran… they seem to be the ones in charge.”

They looked forlornly after the seven mares. It was possible their family would be short a young mare at the end of the week…


In town, many ponies were assembled in the town hall. Everypony figured Essenta and her friends were just visitors wishing to spar with Orni. They were content to keep things that way. It was bad enough the farmer and his whole family knew who they were.

Any talk Farmer Valli wished to have with the princess would have to wait for at least 16 hours. She was plastered, hoof-wrestling some of the young stallions in town. Laughing uproariously, she dragged them over the table, one-by-one. Ama, drinking ale by the half-gallon and not even feeling it, laughed at the princess’s antics.

Loress sat with Dechaa at the bar. She was having a nice cider, for the taste, not the alcohol. Unless she put alcohol directly into her bloodstream, it was physically impossible for her to get drunk. She eyed Essenta with distaste, turning to Dechaa, nursing a cocktail.

“Dechaa… I’m beginning to wonder if the princess has a problem.”

Dechaa shifted in her seat, “…”

Loress grumbled, “Whatever… if she gets out of hoof, it’s an easy thing to drag her off…”

The both of them espied Zyra, doing magic tricks for a bunch of foals in the corner. She was certainly enjoying herself. Wilka and Orni were sitting alongside the dance floor, politely, yet firmly shooting down the numerous drunk stallions asking them for a dance.

Dechaa couldn’t blame them. She didn’t like dancing much. She was also "traumatized" from the many bad encounters Essenta had gotten them into. She would never forget the time a prince had felt her up when she was trying to visit the powder room… in the Greendale castle… Loress wasn’t much better… she squealed like a little filly whenever Zyra joked about her rump…

They noticed Wilka and Orni made their way over to the magic show. It was unlikely they’d be hit on there. Perhaps they’d be targeted… Two very above average looking mares alone at the bar? They were ripe for picking as far as most ponies were concerned. But they turned their attention to other things.

“Dechaa, I know Wilka’s ready to come along with us, but what about Orni? Something… just seems wrong.”

Dechaa called for a second cocktail, “I’m really not sure what Sen is thinking. I’m just worried about staying in town too long, especially if we have nothing to show for it. The ponies here know of us, at least. It’s only a matter of time somepony figures out who we are. And I don’t trust for a minute somepony wouldn’t love a crack at whatever our bounty is…”

“Ama mentioned to me the princess did have a bounty on her… from her father… It must hurt knowing your own father would do such a thing…”

Dechaa sipped on her fresh tonic, “Well, it’s not just her… Anypony after her knows about the two unicorns she dragged along for the ride. I have no idea what King Dale is offering, but it’s probably a lot.”

Loress covered up a tiny burp, “Best we lay low then… As long as the farmer’s family doesn’t slip who we are… and none of us are foolish enough… we may be safe. Still…”

They cast their gaze once again to the princess. She had ahold of an entire cask of ale. She was attempting to pull the tap out of the barrel. Dechaa recalled the last time she had that much ale. She stood up, quickly downing the last of her drink.

“Okay, Loress… let’s get our brave leader out of here. I’ll go tell Zyra we’re heading back.”

Loress sucked down the last of her cider and went for Essenta. They weren’t worried about Ama and the rest. They’d take care of themselves. Wrangling Essenta was a bit of a hassle, but with Dechaa able to catch her in a forcefield, Loress was able to drape her over her back.


Essenta, having clocked out when she gave up resisting, snored from Loress’s back. Dechaa looked concerned, but Loress looked positively afraid.

“Oh, please don’t get sick!” the Terran fretted. “I really can’t deal with that…”

Dechaa shook her head. She still wasn’t ready to say Essenta had a problem. She didn’t do this often enough for to be a problem… right?

But they made it back with no incident. For the very slight inconvenience of carrying the princess, Loress tossed her unceremoniously onto a lower bunk.

“Heh, heh, heh… I see Princess Essenta had a little too much fun.”

The two mares turned. It was Farmer Valli.

“I don’t mean to bother you. I just thought I’d see if you all had a good time.”

Loress and Dechaa were known to have less of a good time than the others. They were the responsible ones, apparently. Whether they enjoyed this or not, it seemed their function.

Loress gave an uneasy hum, “Well… everypony else is having a good time. It’s hard sometimes… to enjoy myself having to foalsit a princess.”

Farmer Valli chuckled, “I suppose as a Terran, you don’t even know what impairment feels like.”

Loress smiled at this, “You got me there… you’d have more luck shoveling mud with a pitchfork than getting me sloshed.”

He considered the unicorn, “You have a nice time, miss?”

Dechaa fidgeted, “Let’s just say I’ve gotten into more trouble with Sen than I enjoy putting up with… Guess I’m in Loress’s boat as far as fun.”

“Well, I’m sorry your night was cut short… but I wanted to talk with both of you. I figured Dechaa, you and the princess would be out of sorts, and I’d just have Loress to speak with… But since you’re both thriving this evening, could I have some of your time? You can tell the princess and the others later.”

Loress expected somepony to talk with them, assuredly about Orni, but didn’t expect it so soon.

Dechaa tilted her head, “Why us? Shouldn’t we wait… and include Sen?”

Farmer Valli gave her a very warm look, “The princess relies on the two of you more than you may realize. I suppose, I could say, the two of you are the pillars of this little company. You’re the heart and soul! And I’m guessing one of you is her righthoof mare.”

This flummoxed the girls; there’d been no talk of who was Essenta’s second. But… it must have been one of them. Who else could it be?!

Dechaa looked with concern at the sodden princess, “I guess we could talk, but…”

“Don’t concern yourself with her. My wife’s coming out to keep an eye on her. Please… come to the barn with me. As you may have guessed, I need to tell you about Orni. Please…”

Somewhat reluctantly, the two followed the farmer out to the barn. It was early yet… and it would be some time before the others made their way back. They’d be able to talk openly, and without interruption. As the farmer had said: Essenta relied on them more than anypony else. They were… her counsel. And they were likely the ones best able to process what they were about to hear.

Author's Note:

Check out the Appendix for Princess Essenta, updated as the story moves along. It shows the story's timeline and character designs. Contains spoilers.


Essenta's closest confidants are about to learn of Orni. What misfortune befell the little Knollwing, leaving her crippled and so far away from her fellows?

Next time, Orni's past is revealed and the company decides to stick around for the weekend fights... as participants. But first, Essenta has to deal with a few personal matters.

I'm trying to get ahead of my writing, so I can release six chapters or so a month. Allows for more thinking. I have the grand scheme of Princess Essenta, but fleshing out some areas I'd initially decided to skimp on takes time.

If you enjoy Princess Essenta, please take a look at my other major story, Larkspur Blossom, if you haven't.

Also, I've just released a new shorter story, The Virgin Company, telling the tale of a Pegasus lieutenant who wound up facing an army with his unblooded platoon. I hope to put out a few chapters a month for that one.

Thanks for reading, and take care.

PreviousChapters Next