• Published 11th Jan 2018
  • 6,444 Views, 124 Comments

Spike Finds Love At Last - Soothing Stone



After Rarity has settled down with somepony else, Spike turns to Twilight for dating advice with girls. Things get more complicated from there.

  • ...
13
 124
 6,444

Crash

Out of all the days Spike decided to go without clothing, it had to be today. He ran around town self conscious about it, and he had to put it out of his mind when he went down to Fluttershy’s little sanctuary. Just a few hours of work, then he would go home and (hopefully) have the castle to himself.

However, Fluttershy’s weird looks made it impossible for him to get past the whole clothing problem. Yes, he didn’t wear clothes when he was a baby dragon, but his friends adjusted to the sight of him wearing something when he went out in public, and seeing this now was a little awkward. As a result, he decided to go back home and throw something on, say a quick hi to Twilight if he had to, then come back here, using the rest of the day doing every little chore he could find. And besides, if he played it like everything was fine, she wouldn’t catch on. Everything would be easy peasy, as Pinkie would say.

Fate sure had a tendency to have its own plans, didn’t it?

After some time walking, he arrived back at the castle and got himself loose before going in. Remember, play it cool, don’t be the stubborn mule you were this morning, and you got this. It worked; he felt a lot looser when he went in the door.

To his surprise, Twilight was waiting at the lobby for him. There were two chairs pulled up right by the entrance. She looked at him with a mix of fear, longing, anxiety, and a lot of other emotions. “We need to talk, Spike.”

This wasn’t something he expected to see, but he remembered to play it cool. “Uh, sure, Twilight. It might be weird that I’m not wearing any clothes, but--”

“It has nothing to do with that. Take a seat, please. There’s something I need to tell you.”

Knowing that she wouldn’t let him go, he took the seat opposite from her. He had no idea where this was going, but his mind started racing to conclusions. Was there a loose thread that gave him away? Did she figure it out through logical deduction? Or was he freaking out over nothing? Please let it be the last one.

Meanwhile, Twilight sat down in the other chair. She kept her glance at him for a few seconds, scared about what she was about to do. Her biggest fear wasn’t what would happen today, but what happened after this. Things wouldn’t be the same after this conversation. Then again, things had already changed in a way. This wasn’t the time to second guess herself, however. This was the time to act.

“Spike, I can tell you’ve been going through a lot of changes. You should be proud of yourself. After all, you did an excellent job with my training course in dating. Just wanted to let you know that before we go on.”

Spike nodded. He swore she could hear his heart pounding, as it was filling up his ears.

“However, I was starting to worry when you acted up at the end. We’ve been over it before, and yet I couldn’t get over what happened. I thought I missed something, and I thought I messed up…” She had to stop to compose herself.

“Twilight, please stop blaming yourself for this,” he said, feeling bad for her and relaxing at the same time, as he imagined his secret was safe for now.

“...and then I took a nap after you left this morning. I had a dream, and Luna was there.”

His heart stopped with the news. That was the last thing in the world he wanted to hear. “Princess Luna? That’s a shocker. What did she say?”

When she saw that he was beginning to crumble already, she second guessed herself about going forward with this, but there was no use going back now. “She told me everything. She told me you had developed feelings for me, and it turned into something deeper over time. I know you love me, Spike.”

With those words, Spike’s world felt like it came to an end. His mind went into a million directions, none of them good. Each of them went to the worse case scenario, in fact. He held his head in his hands and groaned. “I knew I shouldn’t have told Luna anything! Why am I so stupid? I knew it was wrong the whole time, but here I am, still in love with you. Why am I...should I...geeeehhhhh…”

Twilight’s heart sank like a stone in her chest. It felt like she was stabbing him in the chest emotionally, but she knew she had to keep going for their own sakes. “Is that why you acted the way you did this morning?”

“YES!” he cried out. “I felt so bad about it. You have to understand, I feel really, really guilty about being in love with you--”

“--because you see me like a sister, right? Luna told me that, too.”

“Right! Wow, she really didn’t leave anything out. Anyways, I still found myself falling in love with you, and the guilt was getting to me like crazy. I was scared you would find out somehow, and I couldn’t live with myself if you found out. And now that you know, I feel like…like I ruined things between us…”

He couldn’t take it anymore and started to cry in front of her. Any moment now, she would lash out at him for this, just like he deserved. There was no way he would be able to bare it, but it didn’t matter to him anymore. It was the right punishment for the crime.

Twilight was silent for a moment, feeling like he needed some time let it out. The loud sobbing only made her feel more like manure for what she had done, but she was almost done. “Spike, there’s another thing you need to know. The thing is, and I hope you don’t get mad at me for saying this, I’m in love with you too.”

The dragon looked up at her, tears still coming out, as he was shocked by the revelation. “You’re in love with me? Why? After everything I did, you...you love me? Like, as part of your family or, you know, the other way?”

“The other way,” she whispered quietly. “Spike, you’re not the only one that feels bad about this. I found out this morning that I love you, too. Luna helped me realize that as well.”

Spike took a moment to process all that, and the process took a while. He was wondering if he was dreaming, as it felt almost too perfect to be happening. This was starting to go into the realm of the surreal, and his mind was now a mishmash of confused feelings and thoughts.

“I...I don’t know what to say,” he admitted. “Just, the thing is, you know, I really don’t know what to say.”

“Neither do I. I’m kinda scared,” she replied. Tears started to form in her eyes. “All I know is that I really love you, but I don’t know what to do about it. Have to say, now that I spent some time in your shoes, I don’t blame you for keeping it a secret.”

“What? I made the same mistakes with you that I made with Rarity!” he snapped. “I kept it to myself when I shouldn’t have, and I was being all awkward and antisocial whenever we hung out. How is that okay?”

“I’m not Rarity, though. I’m somepony you’ve grown up with for your whole life. You said it yourself, you saw me as a sister. And since we’re being honest today, I saw you like a brother for most of my life. You’re not that much younger than me, and you were always by my side ever since you hatched. If I was in your spot, I think I would kept the whole thing secret out of shame. What I’m saying is, I understand your position.”

He slowly nodded and wiped the tears off his face. “You’re not going to kick me out of the house for this, right? I messed up pretty bad, and we both know this was an awful thing to do.”

“Oh, Spike.” She came over and joined him in his chair, hugging him tightly. “No matter what we do after this, I would never kick you out of the house. Even if I didn’t return your feelings, I would still love you like you’re part of my family, because you are. Nothing will ever change that.

Then the dam broke for her. She let herself cry dearly as she let it all out, and he found himself doing the same. He didn’t know what to feel about the whole situation, but maybe that was okay for a moment. Just cuddling the mare he loved would be enough for now.

They let time pass by in each other’s embrace, not sure how long they had been doing this for. It didn’t matter in the end. They knew they needed time in silence together, and that’s what they would give their possible new partner.

However, there was still an elephant in the room. After a long time, Twilight looked up to Spike. Both of their eyes were reddened from all the tears they let out.

“What do we do now?” she asked. Her voice was hoarse from all the heavy emotions she was going through.

“I don’t know. That’s the scary part,” he admitted. “I still feel guilty about asking my kinda-sister out.”

“None of that matters. We can’t live like this anymore. I don’t think our hearts can take it, and come to think of it, we’re not really siblings when you get to the heart of things.”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. We’re technically not related, are we?” he sighed. “But it feels like we are. You said it yourself, I’m like a brother to you. You remember that?”

“I do. But we’re from different species, you come from a different family than me, and all that stuff.”

“Are you trying to look past that, just so we won’t feel guilt about being in love?”

“I don’t know. I just really want to love you,” she cried again. “I don’t care if it feels wrong. I love you, you love me, and you’ve been through so much.” She caressed one of Spike’s cheeks with a hand. “Can we see if this is going to work out before we throw it away, at least? I have to find out.”

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t mind that, but I don’t know if it’s the right thing to do,” he stated, nuzzling her hand quietly. “I want to love you too, and yet it’s really hard to get past the whole sister thing.

“Please, Spike? Do it for the both of us. I don’t want to see your heart broken again. Just one time?”

Spike took a moment to consider his options. This was going to hurt no matter what, but maybe this would be the last time he would feel the pain. “You know, you’ve been getting me ready for all these practice dates, with mares I only kinda like, and it was all to get me prepared for the real thing.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, catching onto his idea. “You want to go out on a real date with me?”

“Yeah. I have no idea what’s going to happen, but I’m okay with that. You’re right about one thing, this is scary. But I don’t want to run away from this. If it doesn’t work out, at least I saw it through. And yet, if it works out…” He rested his forehead against hers and sighed. “What do you say? Want to see this through to the end?”

“Yes,” she answered immediately. She wrapped her hands around him for a tight hug. “I would love that. Pretty sure I’m open tonight last time I checked, so let’s try it then. That and I’m pretty sure I couldn’t take it if I had to wait longer than a day. Can you promise me one thing before we go out?”

“Yeah. Name it and I’ll do it.”

“If we’re not together after tonight, we’ll still be family, right?”

Spike gave her the most heartfelt smile she had seen in a long time, and he nuzzled her face again. “Yeah. No matter what happens, I’m never going to leave your side. Honestly, I was scared you wouldn’t like me anymore if I told you the truth, so that’s a relief. It’s all in the past now.”

Twilight laughed softly and nuzzled back. “Yeah. I’m really happy that we cleared that out, and I got a place in mind for our date.”

“That’s awesome. I just hope to Celestia we find what we’re looking for.”

“Me too. We both need it.”

Author's Note:

Yep, the moment you were all waiting for, it happened here. Well, more like it started here. There's still a few chapters to go.

Interestingly, this chapter was shorter than I planned(I usually aim for 3K words or more for my chapters or oneshot stories) but given what happened, I didn't mind. It was straight to the point and what went down was something that needed to go down. I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I have, and the next chapter will likely arrive in a couple of days. It's another big one, folks.